1/1

Adventure for a Cure

It is something like -o’clock in the morning when someone decides to bang their hand on the front door.

Yoongi isn’t the kind of person who’d sleep in peace, then wake up in the morning to sing happily, no. But Jimin, one of his dearest friends, is really sick so he has to get to his feet to open that damn door.

Almost everyone is sick within their village, so they have to wear masks to prevent the sickness from spreading even more, and from infecting those who are still healthy; like Yoongi, or Jungkook, or Taehyung.

Its source is unknown, but it’s like cancer: nearly impossible to recover from it, and deadly.

When he hears the younger cough, he is scared he’d be awake, but he decides not to check on him and goes immediately to the entrance of their tiny house.

“Hey Yoongi-hyung.” A brunette boy smiles at him and the sun behind him is melting his eyes.

“Hey, Jungkook-ah.” He doesn’t smile back, and yawns instead. “What are you doing here, this early?”

Jungkook grins. “I have taken a decision!” Yoongi blinks but says nothing, so the younger continues. “We’re going on a great adventure through the entire world, all together! We will be heroes! And you’re coming with us,” he says and takes his hands in his as he smiles softly this time.

But Yoongi is confused. “You… what?” He squints his eyes then pulls on his hands, forcing him to come inside to prevent the sun from killing his eyes. Why would he do something like that? He’s definitively out of his mind. “Wait, Jungkook. You don’t know what’s gonna happen. We don’t know anything about what might happen outside! Do you know how many people died because they were unconscious like you?”

“Do you?” Jungkook asks back, but Yoongi remains silent. “What else is there to do anyway? Stay in this village to rot?? And be sick to death??? No way. You know I’d rather live with passion, right? Yeah, I’d rather die outside than here. No offense to anyone living here, but that’s what I think. Besides, we all know most of us is sick and some even died, so we need to find something to help, and I’m not changing my mind just because you’re scared.”

When they all used to go to school, they have learned how to fight, how to use spells, how the outside world could be, what kind of monsters could be out there… Yoongi is the oldest, so he has to watch over the three younger boys, like they were his little brothers. However, Jungkook is always bored of doing the same things over and over again, and Taehyung likes playing with fire, so both of them would leave the village just to have fun and see for themselves how it is. Most of the time, Jimin would be scared for them and Yoongi has to look for them, and, most of the time, they would come back with wounds. If just around the village is dangerous like that, he can’t imagine how the rest of the world could be, and he doesn’t feel like exploring and risking his life for it.

 

This time, it’s different. Their own village is a danger itself, and they don’t know why. It’s like some kind of evil group is trying to destroying them by spreading a poison all over their territory.

The mayor sent soldiers to find a cure, or something, but they never returned.

Some people died within a week, and the illness started about two weeks ago; Jimin’s appeared about a few days ago. Yoongi doesn’t feel like leaving him all by himself.

 

The raven-haired male is about to say something when he hears coughing coming from Jimin’s bedroom. He sighs again and leaves the younger to take care of the shorter male by bringing him a glass of water.

As Jungkook is watching him walk away, he crosses his arms and startles when another boy makes his way inside without knocking. “When will you finally admit that you and Yoongi are boyfriends?”

Jungkook rolls his eyes before dodging the question and, hopefully, never talk about it again as he isn’t in love with Yoongi. At all. “And when will you finally learn how to knock on a door, Taehyung?”

“But I heard you arguing like a couple! It’s kinda cute, in some way… But you know how that always ends??” Jungkook’s ears are already stuffed with whatever and he isn’t listening to Taehyung who apparently has a lot of things to say. “With a kiss! Then everything is good, just like before, and with a bit of hope, you get your clothes ripped off–” He doesn’t get to finish what he was saying as a pillow is thrown on his face, and it is nicely aimed. Good thing, because the youngest is blushing as his whatever doesn’t stop Taehyung’s words from reaching his brain, and from creating filthy images in his head.

Taehyung is kind of a ert and isn’t scared of showing it to the world. He used to sneak in other houses to read their books, but, back then, he had no idea he was reading this entire time, until an adult caught him and scolded him. And since Yoongi takes some extra care for Jungkook—according to Taehyung’s eyes—, the youngest seems to take a lot of interest into the oldest—again, according to Taehyung—so Taehyung would always encourage him to confess to the latter, but even a few months later, Jungkook is still dodging the topic.

“Shut up already. Jimin needs rest, not your unstopping nonsense,” Yoongi says quietly, and angrily as he is frowning as the tallest.

But his nonsense doesn’t come to an end. Taehyung has a hand on Jungkook’s shoulder and whispers into his ear. “Ow, it seems like Yoongi has a thing for Jimin. That’s too bad for you.”

“I don’t care, Tae. And, at least, I admit that I am ashamed to call you hyung, sometimes,” Jungkook says, shoving his hand away, before joining the two boys in the bedroom. “It’s been decided that we are leaving today. So… I’m sorry.”

Jimin coughs then smiles at him. He feels sorry for them, for changing the youngest boy’s plans, because of him. “Don’t be. You couldn’t know that I was going to be… this bad,” he chuckles. “I’m going to die soon anyway, so you can leave me h–”

“Don’t say that!” Yoongi almost yells, looking hurt, panicked and lost. He grabs Jimin’s hands and stares into his eyes, as if it was going to help his words reach his brain. “We… We’ll find something. We’ll heal you. Soon, you’ll be healthy again, and we will be able to play together… again.”

Taehyung joins them as well, and doesn’t seem to be fooling around anymore. “I’ll go with Jungkook. We will find a cure and we will come back, I promise,” he says sincerely, taking one of Jimin’s hands from Yoongi.

Jimin is looking at Taehyung, then at Yoongi, and, finally, at Jungkook, who just nods to show that he is agreeing with that the others are saying. He is honestly overwhelmed with feels in front of his amazing friends and he ends up in tears. The only ones who panic because of that are Yoongi and Jungkook, because they have no idea how to deal with that. “Th-Thanks guys. I’m so lucky to have you by my side,” he sniffs.

Deep inside, he knows he has little time left to live, for them to find a cure, but he still grips onto that tiny bit of hope his friends are giving him. Being hopeful isn’t going to kill him anyway.

Ignoring the consequences of what he is doing, Taehyung hugs him. “It’s okay,” he says softly.

Jungkook interrupts them by clearing his throat. “I don’t want to be a er nor a mood wrecker, but we have important things to do, so… we should get going,” he firmly says, then turns his head to look at Jimin. “And Jimin-hyung… I have hope regarding your recovery. Fighting.” He holds his fist in front of everyone, and they all join theirs. “We will save the village,” he continues, retracting his arm and turning around so his back is facing them. “If Yoongi can’t come, it’s… it’s okay. We can do it without a healer.”

Yoongi glares at him. What he just said sounded like an insult to him, and he feels so weak because he isn’t able to heal anyone around here. He isn’t able to get rid of the sickness, nor even make it better without erasing it completely. His powers have absolutely no effect on it. “I’m a bad healer anyway. All I can do is heal tiny scratches. I would be useless if you were really hurt… so… I’m totally fine with it.”

Taehyung’s eyebrows immediately lift themselves when he hears that. He knows it isn’t true, and Jungkook knows it too. Yoongi is always thinking low of himself, and that’s bad. “No, hyung, you wouldn’t be useless!”

But all Yoongi does is sending him off with a shrug. “Whatever, I won’t be coming anyway, since I have to stay with Jimin.”

“Don’t be like that so suddenly, guys…” Jimin says and coughs lightly. He is honestly the one feeling the most useless among them, stuck in bed, stopping Yoongi from being free.

Jungkook looks at them, one last time, and sighs. He seriously feels sorry for them, but he also feels like he has no choice. He wants to leave as soon as possible before he regrets his decision. “Sorry… Let’s go, Taehyung.”

 

In the end, they bid their goodbyes correctly towards each other and Jungkook leaves with Taehyung, promising to be back as soon as possible and both Yoongi and Jimin are praying for their safety.

 

 

 

A few days later, Jimin is suddenly full of energy, to Yoongi’s surprise. He was dying just the day before, and… what? “Wow, what happened to you Jimin!? We didn’t even find any cure yet, and… yet… you’re healthy again…” He drops the apple he was holding to hug the younger as tears are leaving his eyes. “I… I’m so happy, Jimin. So… happy…”

Jimin chuckles at his reaction and hugs him back. “I just woke up like that, so I have no idea! But I’m sure of one thing…” He pushes Yoongi a bit so he can look at him in the eye while holding his shoulders. “We have to go find Tae and Kook. Who knows what’s happening to them right now, while we’re talking together?”

“But– But what if they come back when we’re outside?”

“Good question…” Jimin lowers his head.

Yoongi wipes his tears and clears his throat to get back his normal self. “You’re right though. As much as I know how strong Jungkook is with his fists and feet, and how good Taehyung is with his guns, we never know… Now that you’re able to do everything like before, go grab your daggers. We have two boys to retrieve.” He says seriously, with a smile.

It’s enough to make Jimin grin, and he is so much more beautiful than when he was stuck in bed, even with that mask covering half of his face. “Nothing can get in between the members of the bad boys of the village, and we’re gonna prove it!”

“You’re the only one calling us that, you know.” Yoongi rolls his eyes before leaving the blonde boy to prepare his bag with potions, in case he would be running out of energy or mana—meaning he wouldn’t be able to use his spells for a while—, food and water.

Jimin is laughing all by himself, seeming too happy. “Yeah I know, but it’s fun!” He takes his weapons and places them on his belt as there are pouches just for them, like Yoongi is sliding his wand on the side of his own belt. “Ready to go, hyung?”

Yoongi looks at him, and smiles. Deep inside of him, he is suspicious as something seems clearly fishy, like… Why is he healthy again, all of a sudden? What happened? While everyone is dying? Yoongi is so sure he was about to die, and was, again, praying for the two others’ safety, but maybe he is just a tired from watching over the younger. He’s a bit scared something major might happen to them soon, but seeing Jimin finally healthy makes him feel happy and put every problem aside. Jungkook and Taehyung could be in a serious danger and could possibly die if they don’t hurry up.

So, it’s been decided.

“Let’s go, Jimin.”