Chapter 3

The Chime is a Love Song

Two girls appeared out of nowhere. They facing each other with serious look plastered on their face. For several seconds they stood quite still. No one uttered a word.

The observed each other. Afraid if one of them made a sudden movement.

The younger one eyed the older one suspiciously. She could sense the older had something under her sleeve.

“Chou Tzuyu,” finally the older spoke. “You shall listen to my command!”

Tzuyu, being a rebel, said, “You can’t order me around! Tzuyu has no master!”

“Seriously Tzuyu? Where did you get those words? I can’t let you hang out with Dahyun too much,” said Jungyeon.

“Come on, get ready for school,” said Jungyeon.

Tzuyu stopped playing with her favorite plushie. She remembered something she must tell to her papa.

“Papa, where is Japan?”

Jungyeon was taken aback with the sudden question. She was really didn’t expect that kind of question out from Tzuyu’s lips.

“Why you asking?” Jungyeon asked as she sat down beside Tzuyu.

“Umm . . . one of my classmate is from Japan. And I remember that mama is from Japan. Maybe mama is Sana’s neighbor.”

Jungyeon chuckled on Tzuyu’s sentence.

“Well, yeah. Maybe Sana is your mama’s neighbor. Why don’t we ask your mama when she visit us later?”, suggested Jungyeon. “but first thing first. You need to prepare for your school. Dahyun unnie will fetch you.”

“But mama never come. She said she will come but she wasn’t,” Tzuyu said with a tint of sadness in her voice.

Jungyeon could only smiled. With that, Tzuyu obediently went to bathroom and prepare herself for school.

Little did she know, Jungyeon eyed her with a look mixed of sadness and happiness.  Jungyeon sighed and went to her own room. She sat on her bed and starred at the wall. Her mind wandered around till it focused on one particular person.

Jungyeon smiled at the thought of that person. That person is Tzuyu’s mom. Jungyeon stood and walked to her drawer. She pulled an envelope. There was a letter and a photo. Jungyeon read the letter and tears escaped from her eyes.

Jungyeon wiped her tears, tried to be strong. Jungyeon finished reading the letter but continued to gaze at the photo accompanying the letter. There was a woman and a toddler.

Never once had Jungyeon imagined that toddler is living with her. Few years ago, she could only stay silent whenever her friends mentioned Tzuyu and her mom in front of Jungyeon.

She had thought she knew Tzuyu’s mom the best, she is her bestfriend after all, but ever since that day, she had been forced to recognize that she had barely known Tzuyu’s mom at all.

“Why did you choose him over me huh?” Jungyeon asked bitterly.

After several minutes thought, Jungyeon put bact the letter and the photo inside the envelope and tucked it inside the drawer again. Jungyeon moved across the room. Only to find her mind was filled with her past with Tzuyu’s mom.

Jungyeon ruffled her hair in annoyance. She was so mad at herself for being drowning in her delusional mind again.

“Why you left after you took half of my heart with you?”, Jungyeon murmured.

She looked at Tzuyu’s photo on her nightstand.

“After you left me, now you left your other half with me. Still I don’t get it why you choose me to look after Tzuyu?”

Jungyeon sat down hard on her bed. She picked up Tzuyu’s photo and starred at it. A flash of memory ran on her head. She froze.

“Why Tzuyu resemble you a lot? Why by looking at Tzuyu’s photo make me want to have you in my arms again?”

Jungyeon closed her eyes. Then she hoped, childishly, that it had been a dream, that when she open her eyes there will be a pair of familiar eyes welcoming her. Yet when she opened her eyes, it was only emptiness welcoming her.

She’s not yours. Jungyeon told herself. She’s gone. She’s gone and she’s not coming back. Maybe she will come back but she will take Tzuyu away. Jungyeon held back her tears.

The sound of door slamming echoed through the entire house and then a voice yelled, “Papa!”

Months of being addressed as papa left Jungyeon in no doubt whom her Tzuyoda was calling.

“Yes! I’m coming,” said Jungyeon.

She looked at the photo again and said, “Perhaps you might be waiting for me. Perhaps you might be want to see me again. Perhaps.”

 +++++++++++++

It was lunch time, Nayeon finally could take a rest after talking nonstop to her students. She sat on her desk, ready to eat her lunch when a certain kid caught her attention.

“What’s the matter sweetie? Why you not eat you lunch yet?” asked Nayeon.

“I am not hungry yet”

“Would you like me to feed you, Tzuyu?”, Nayeon persuaded Tzuyu who was still sitting on the chair doing nothing but swaying her legs.

Tzuyu didn’t answered, she still pouted.

“What’s wrong, Tzuyu? You can talk to me. I promise I’ll keep it as a secret,” Nayeon smiled.

Tzuyu looked at Nayeon’s face for a while before finally spoke up.

“It was Sana,” Tzuyu mumbled.

“Sana? What’s wrong with Sana?” Nayeon asked curiously.

“She said she will eat with me but she eat with Somi instead!” Tzuyu sulked.

Nayeon smiled at the adorable sight in front of her. Tzuyu with a pout is just so cute. Nayeon had the urge to pinch her pink cheeks but she restrain herself to do so, not wanting to make Tzuyu sulked more.

“Why don’t you join them instead? The more the merrier,” Nayeon suggested.

“No, I don’t want to. Sana said it will be just two of us!”

Nayeon massaged her forehead. Dealing with a jealous Yoda was something she least expected. However, she must admit that it was somewhat cute to see a jealous Yoda over a squirrel.

++++++++++++++++++++

“Hello, Chewy! Are you waiting for your papa?” Sana asked.

Tzuyu did not answered, she was still angry at Sana. Sana, on the other hand, confused with Tzuyu’s action.

“Chewy~ answer me~~~” Sana whined.

Tzuyu still not answering Sana’s question, moved to another bench. Tried to avoid Sana.

Sana didn’t know what to do. She approached Nayeon who still inside the classroom.

“Miss Nayeon,” called Sana.

Nayeon looked up from her documents.

“Yes, cutie Sana?”

“Miss Nayeon, do you know why Chewy ignoring me?” Sana asked with teary eyes.

Nayeon sighed and smiled to Sana. “Cutie Sana, do you like it when someone make a promise to you and the suddenly that person break it?”

“Of couse I don’t! I don’t like it when a person can’t keep a promise!”

“Then, what if it is you who can’t keep a promise?” Nayeon asked.

A sudden realization hit Sana. Her eyes widen and left agape. Then she started to cry.

Nayeon panicked at the sight. She quickly hugged the crying squirrel.

“Hush hush, why you crying?”

“I-I can’t keep my promise to Chewy,” Sana sobbed.

“Don’t cry. Why don’t you say sorry to Tzuyu?” Nayeon said while wiping Sana’s tears.

“B-But what is she don’t want to forgive me?”

Nayeon chuckled. “Ah~ cutie Sana is so cute. Why Tzuyu don’t want to forgive you huh? Come on, let me accompany you okay?”

Nayeon and Sana walked the classroom and approached Tzuyu. Sana had her head hung low.

“Chewy, I am sorry,” Sana said without lifting her head.

There was a moment of silent before Tzuyu spoke, “Are you crying?”

Sana shaked her head. Denying the fact that she just cried. Tzuyu looked at Sana and the she said, “Okay. I forgive you”

Sana lifted her head and hugged Tzuyu. She gave Tzuyu a bone-crushing hug.

“Ehem,” Nayeon interrupted the two. “Cutie Sana, I think your mama is waiting for you”

Sana then bid goodbye to Tzuyu and Nayeon. She skipped happily to her mom.

“Your papa is not here yet, Tzuyu?” Nayeon asked Tzuyu.

Tzuyu averted her gaze towards the parking lot. There she spotted Jungyeon’s car.

“My papa is here. I think I should go. Bye bye~ Miss Nayeon” then Tzuyu ran to the parking lot.

It was unusual for Tzuyu to have her papa fetch her at school. It was usually her Dahyun unnie or Mina nee-chan who fetch her. Her papa rarely had time to fetch her because of her tight schedule. Nevertheless, Tzuyu was so happy that her papa was there.

"Papa, what take you so long?"

"I am sorry Tzuyu, I was busy with some works," Jungyeon said while ruffled Tzuyu's hair.

"Can I have an ice cream before we go home?" Tzuyu asked with her puppy eyes.

“Of course! Anything for Tzuyoda!” said Jungyeon. “Make sure you are not leave your stuffs behind in your school.”

“Let me check it first,” Tzuyu opened her bag to check her stuffs. “I think I left my crayons in my classroom. I think my teacher is still there. I will take it”

“Okay, I’ll go with you”

“Really?” Tzuyu said excitedly. “I will introduce you with my teacher. She is so kind and so beautiful!”

“Oh yeah?” said Jungyeon while carrying Tzuyu in her arms.

They walked until they arrived in front of Tzuyu’s classroom. Through the curtains, Jungyeon could see there was a woman back facing them. She then put Tzuyu down. Tzuyu then knocked and opened the door.

“Miss!” Tzuyu said. “I want to take my crayons. I think I left it here,”

Nayeon looked at the source of the voice. As soon she turned around, she swore her entire world stopped for a moment.

“Yoo Jungyeon?” Nayeon said in disbelief.

“I-I-Im Nayeon?” Jungyeon was as shocked as Nayeon. She was as white as a sheet of paper. Her heart beating crazily. Blood rushed all over her body, made her a little dizzy. She didn’t know what should she do.

“T-Tzuyu, I-I’ll wait you in the car okay?” with that Jungyeon dashed to her car. Not even waiting for Tzuyu’s response. All she want was go away as quick as possible.

Not different from Jungyeon, Nayeon was still can’t believe on what she just saw.

“Miss Nayeon, do you know my papa?” Tzuyu’s question made Nayeon snapped back to reality.

“Tzuyu sweetie, is that your papa?” Nayeon voice trembeled because of nervousness.

“Yes. You know her Miss Nayeon?”

Nayeon ignored Tzuyu’s question. She asked more important question to Tzuyu.

“Who is your mom?” Nayeon seriously asked.

“My mom is Myoui Mina. Why Miss? You know my mama?”

At that point, Nayeon wished she never asked.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

hello, this is another update from me. sorry I havent update this story. college and work really make me busy. hope you like this update. I don't mind if you just be a silent reader ehehehehe but I will really happy if you leave comment