Electric

Under the Vast Sky

The stoic husband from a political marriage finally speaks out regarding his real name, thanks to a heavy dose of alcohol.

+++

 

"Fan..."

The heavy, drunk Kris had been mumbling the word for the past few minutes and his coherence was adding to Kara's headache. Kris's weight on top of her was starting to wear her down. Kara attempted again to maneuver herself out under him but he was too heavy.

“Kris...” she groaned. Summoning all her remaining strength, she shoved him one last time. “Kris, get off me!”

With one final push she successfully flipped her husband onto his back on the space right beside her. Kara heaved heavy sighs of relief while Kris continued to mumble in his sleep.

“Fan...”

“What? Fan?” She breathed and looked towards him. “What's he talking about? The AC’s already set to—”

Kris disturbed her this time when he groaned and acted to come up on top of her again. However, all he did was face her direction with eyes closed.

“...Fan.” He muttered with his deep, sleepy voice for the second time.

“Fan,” Nina echoed. Her face brightened with a realization. “Chao fan? You’re hungry?”

But then, Kris only mumbled and turned face down.

Frustrated and utterly confused why in the world she would bother discoursing with a drunk Kris who did nothing but deliberately ignore her for the rest of the party, Kara stood up to leave but changed her mind the last minute and walked towards the AC to lower the thermostat.

A solid grip on her arm sent her sauntering back to the soft mattress. Kris had grabbed her hand, and like all cliche dramas, she fell conveniently with her face towards him so that his face was inches right in front of hers. Since their wedding about a month ago, this had been the closes they have ever been. Blood rushed to her face and suddenly the cold room felt hot.

It didn’t help when he suddenly opened his eyes and stared at her lazily.

“K-K-Kris!” She acted to get up, but Kris grabbed her arm for the second time. "W-What are you doing?!"

“Yi... Fan...”

She paused to look at him for a while. “Yifan…” he said clearly. Why in the world would he call his own name? She was about to let her mind wander elsewhere when Kris brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it, eyes closed, like the hero does to a princess he held affections for. Kara's heart began somersaulting in the walls of her chest.

"Kri-"

“Yifan...” Kris sighed. “My real name... is Yifan... call me Yifan.”

“But…” she hesitated, slightly flustered with what he just said. “You said only family calls you that,” she whispered and recalled the first time they met.

“Hm…” he hummed in agreement, then slept soundly while being watched by his dumbfounded fiancee whom he now considered finally.

And for the first time in a very long time, Kara felt as if she was going to pass out from the electric current coursing through the open switches of her veins.