Confession

Under the Vast Sky

Where she tries to give him a send-off letter.

+++

 

Take a deep breath, she told herself.

Reika felt her lungs inflate with cold air as she breathed. ‘I can do this,’ she muttered to herself as she gazed into the eyes of the boy in front of her. She especially wanted to let down her hair that night, but the wind was not cooperative and caused her fringe to whip against her face. So before he arrived, she had tied it in a bun.

“Why are you standing so far away?” the boy with elvish ears asked in a loud voice as he approached, but his best friend took an equal step back. She had asked him to meet her at their usual spot in the rooftop of the apartment, but now all she was doing was stare at him quietly, with her face sometimes contorting animatedly as if she were in deep thought. Chanyeol’s eyebrows scrunched in confusion when she distanced herself, and his heart sped a bit faster. “What are you doing?”

“I’m prepping myself,” Reika replied.

“For what?” Chanyeol asked, and when she didn’t reply a minute later, he added, “Why did you ask me out here if you’re only going to stand far away?”

Chanyeol acted to move but Reika stopped him frantically. “Just stay there for a minute! I told you I’m prepping myself!”

But her best friend was unstoppable. As he walked briskly with a determined face, Reika envisioned him like a tsunami which was about to swallow her whole. Eventually they found themselves in a game of tag. “Why are you running? I told you to stay put while I think!” Reika yelled as she avoided him.

Chanyeol scoffed. “Why didn’t you prep yourself before telling me to come over? And why are you running? I’ve got assignments to finish so you better have a good reason for this delay,” he shot back.

They were playing chase now, with Reika’s arms extended into defense while Chanyeol was poised to catch her any minute now.

Reika’s heart sped up to the millionth. She wasn’t expecting this. She wanted him to finally see her womanly side and yet they ended up playing chase instead because she wouldn’t let out what she wanted to tell him in the first place. Without letting down her guard, Reika dodged Chanyeol easily and crossed to the other side. Reaching for the door, she smiled in triumph as her fingers locked around the knob.

But Chanyeol was quicker and enclosed her wrist and whipped her around. Reika looked like a child caught keeping a secret. Chanyeol kept her in place between his arms and the wall. “All right. Out with it,” he panted.

One Mississippi.

Two Mississippi.

Three Mississippi.

Sighing in defeat, Reika closed her eyes and slowly pulled out a white envelope at the back pocket of her jeans. It had a lot of creases and was folded into two, and she feared Chanyeol would recognize it clearly, but he didn’t. For a while there, she thought she saw him gulp. “What’s that?” he asked.

“The letter came just two days ago,” Reika began slowly and looked at him dejectedly. He looked back at her and silently urged her to continue. “I’m sorry,” she looked down. “I just thought I was going to lose you so I grabbed it from your nightstand.”

Reika pushed the letter to Chanyeol’s chest so he had no choice but to take it. The letter was still unopened. “I saw it when I was looking for you. And I didn’t have to open it to know you’d make it,” Reika told him, causing him to look up. He surveyed the envelope meticulously and turned it to its backside.

It was from SM Entertainment.

Chanyeol gulped, completely absorbed with what’s inside and opened the envelope. Taking the letter out, he read quietly. His forehead crease and when he finished, a wide smile appeared on his face. “I passed! I-I made it, Reika! They’re asking a callback!” He flung his arms around her and held her tight.

“I always knew you’d make it,” she hugged him back. “You’re not… you’re not angry?”

“Nope.”

“What? Why?” Reika released him to take a good look on his face.

Chanyeol flicked her forehead. “Stupid. Because I’m so happy right now. Besides, you’re going to be missing me for a while, so I guess that’s punishment enough.”

Reika felt herself return to normal as she shrugged. “Maybe.”

Chanyeol draped an arm on her shoulders and ushered themselves back in, oblivious to Reika’s blushing face. “Come, chingu. Let’s go back inside. I’m going to make you a celebratory hot chocolate.”

“Eh? That’s it?”

“Nope. Maybe I’m going to treat you tomorrow to celebrate.” He had a wide grin on his face.

Meanwhile, Reika placed her free hand on the pocket which contained her real letter and sighed. She would have to put her confession off for next time, but she better make it quick before it becomes real too late.