03. Tomato Soup

Chatshire

 

Yoongi always craved adventure.

Go ask his neighbors and they'll give you an extended list of reasons as to why Min Yoongi was appointed the village's 'Peculiar Person'

First, he always have a pair of binoculars hanging around his neck (unless it was during the rainy season, in which he'd left it in a drawer of his bedside table to prevent it from getting damaged, as all sensible owners of antique binoculars do).

Second, he likes to go foraging for produce in the Old Forest. All the other greengrocers never dared to step foot into the overgrown forest with only pinpricks of light dotting the canopies like starlight on a chill, winter night. They never really cared that Yoongi will always have the best mushrooms or berries or medicinal leaves, they'd still rather go to the much younger Newberry Forest and feel safe, rather than go into the ancient menace and risk being taken away by vengeful roots.

Third, he never seem to belong in the idyllic lifestyle of the Shire's residents. Although Yoongi was bred, born, and raised in the Shire, his antics and his energy and the way his eyes still shine when those annual circus troops would come and lull children with tales of adventure and gallantry made him a bit of an outcast amongst everyone else. Because he wasn't a child anymore. He shouldn't be looking at the mind-numbingly colorful tent with such fervent interest.

Maybe that's why. Maybe his desire for something bizarre and different and weird to happen in his life was the reason why he found himself once again drenched from head to toe as he struggled to bathe the strange lady. 

"WILL YOU PLEASE JUST KEEP QUIET FOR ONCE!" 

Shockingly (honestly, it wasn't), she didn't listen. 

She didn't listen, and she didn't talk. Not even a peep of word was heard from her as she clawed at the edge of the wooden bathtub as if her life was hanging dearly on it. 

And yes, she didn't talk, but that doesn't mean that she was quiet. Oh dear, no she wasn't.

She shrieked and yowled and wailed so loudly Yoongi was afraid he would hear the sound of his neighbors' fists banging on his front anytime soon. Combined with his annoyed protests and pained yell for when she would use her unbelievably sharp and nails to scratch on his arms, Yoongi was pretty certain that he would hear it soon. Anytime soon now.

 

- - - - -

 

Turned out anytime soon didn't come soon enough, or ever, for that matter.

Even after he'd finally managed to get his fireplace running after once again changing to a clean and dry pajamas with the strange lady curling herself into a ball of tangled hair and wet towels at the far corner of his living room.

She let out a rumbling growl if Yoongi ever dared going anywhere near her newfound 'territory'

And so Yoongi sat in front of the fireplace with a huddle of his own. Still donning two layers of his trusted bathrobe even if the heat of the crackling fireplace has started to bake him into a steaming lump of dazed human meat. Very slowly, he brought his palm up to touch his cheek, as if he was afraid a mere wave of his arm would result in him waking up in his study, a trail of dried up drool, already crusted and patchy on his chin the only proof for his wildly vivid dream. 

But no, when his palm moved upwards to give his temple a quick rub, nothing changed. No light seeping from 'reality', no bird chirping, nor was there any sensation of pillows or hard wood cold pressing against his face.

A quick pinch on his right cheek further cemented the weight of his situation. He didn't actually need anymore pain to act as proof, as his arms were still stinging from the numerous scratch wounds that now have begun to show on his pale skin like red, crisscrossed lattice work. But habits die hard and Yoongi found himself rubbing the pain away from his chin while mumbling to himself, "this is not a dream." 

Certainly it wasn't, as the sound of wet, laboured snoring coming from the place of his unnamed lady was mingling so harmoniously with the lively snap-crackle-pop of of his burning firewood. 

In the few hours span between the start and the wood finally burning to mere embers, Yoongi managed to finish the rest of his to-do list. Heat the soup, pour a shot, go to sleep. He only needed to make tiny, insignificant adjustments to include the strange lady into his routine. 

The bowl of tomato soup was still steaming when he placed it near the sleeping humanoid. In his quick intrusion to her territory, Yoongi caught a glimpse of her leg jutting out from underneath his towels, the unmistakable raw gash running along her calf acting as the final nail on the plaque that said 'yes Min Yoongi. This is real.'  His fingers itched with the desire to give that wound a dressing. 'Lords know what she'll do to it when I retire for the night. Cats ARE nocturnal, aren't they?'  Yoongi was surprised by how quickly his mind was adapting to the bizarre situation, his cognition seamlessly working around the fact that a shape shifting lady was slumbering soundly in front of him while he so casually picked up the role of an observer, spooning the content of his own bowl of soup to his mouth with admirable serenity. This image of calmness was the last thing Yoongi would've predicted a few moments ago, when he caught himself cowering beneath the terrifying gaze of her mis-colored eyes when he told her he was going to give her a bath. 

In one hand, Yoongi felt like he was walking on a thin strip of ice, like walking over the icy slush that would collect on the shores of the Great Lake during the early days of winter. Feet numb, mind empty, disbelieving. But in the other hand, Yoongi'd memorized the story of how his great great great uncle was there when Men slain the last of the Great Dragon, merely a century ago. 

'Magic,' he found himself smiling. It felt as if he was finally invited to understand the long running inside joke shared by all the figures in the epic tales he so looked up to. 'I KNEW it.' 

After giving his living room a quick scan and making sure that it was cat-human proofed as best as he could (i.e., no paring knifes laid carelessly on his coffee table), Yoongi decided to call it a day. What else could he do? Nothing. 

Whatever would happen could happen after the sun rises. 

Yoongi only realized how much fatigue he'd accumulated from the events of that day when the weight of his heavy, well toasted duvet fell across his chest. It only took him 3 tosses and turns before his consciousness slipped in time with the long, content sigh that escaped from his lips. 

Although, the last of his common sense birthed a thought before his brain was fully engulfed by sleep, popping out to the forefront of his mind and swimming around the darkened landscape like a lone firefly.

Who will take care of her when I'm off to tend my shop tomorrow?

 



A/N: YOOOO here I am back with some IUngi action. And just btw i love cats (if it's not yet obvious enough) and i want to hug all the cats in the world if I can (although i don't really like those hairless sphinx cats and those flat faced angora cats... I'm quite picky)
And oh how I wish I can make Yoongi a distant relative of Bilbo Baggins... XD