02. Broom

Chatshire

 

"I. Am. Brave! I AM! I am NOT afraid of some HOMELESS PERSON!" Huddled against the door of his kitchen and with his fingers wrapped so hard around the handle of a soup ladle his knuckles have begun to turn white, Yoongi certainly didn't look brave.

But if that's how he believed himself to be, then so be it. 

Although, you can't really blame this poor lad for succumbing into a (perfectly justified)  fearful fit. Truthfully, the fact that he managed to crawl his way out from a nearly-blinding catatonic state in less than 30 minutes was praiseworthy. For a normal, run-of-the-mill, zero-muscle-mass person such as himself to decide that he would personally deal with this intruder problem without making a neighborhood wide fuss was admirable. 

Or plain stupid. 

Looking at his choice of weapon (the soup ladle), and that he really did decide to personally deal with this intruder problem without seeking any assistance with the local police officers, Yoongi slowly but surely inched closer and closer towards the latter. To be fair, Yoongi couldn't even begin to imagine what everyone would say if the news got out that a , wounded stranger was found inside his home. Imagine the gossip.

Yoongi hates gossip.

Yoongi hates facing his fears too, but he hates gossip more. 

While all that was happening, Yoongi was also slowly but surely inching towards the living room, soup ladle on his left hand and a broom swapped from a cleaning cupboard on his right. At least the broom could act as a long ranged melee weapon, but still, it's not far in utility level when compared to his first weapon of choice.

'Still there...' Yoongi worried as he worry on his bottom lips. For another five to ten minutes he was stuck with his back pressed so hard against the bookshelf lining the walls of the corridor that he inadvertently squished several pages of his beloved encyclopedia. 

From this angle, he couldn't determine if the person is a female or a male. He could only see a huddled, back and a few strands of dark hair peeking from underneath the blanket draped over the stranger's head. 'Maybe I should leave it be. Maybe tomorrow morning they'll be gone.'

He was just about to do so, leave the stranger on their merry way and hope on blind luck alone that they're not a serial killer. But then, he just had to move his right hand to scratch his itchy nose and accidentally knocked the broom off from the spot on the bookcase from which it was leaning. 

The silence that followed its bombastic collision with the floor was deafening and the only thought that popped into his mind was, 'great.' 

Yoongi was afraid to raise his gaze from the laying-prone-on-the-floor broom to see whether or not he'd inadvertently caused the stranger to notice his presence. Afraid that maybe they had moved closer to him, a big axe on one hand and a wide, bloodthirsty grin on their face.

Yoongi heard the sound of shuffling blanket and never before did he felt such paralyzing fear. 

'Maybe all this time they're waiting for me to lower my defenses,' he thought it in a way as if he even had one in the beginning, 'and now they'll strike. And tomorrow they'll find me dead when I failed to open my stall. Oh how embarrassing, I don't want to die wearing my pajamas.'

Sometimes the thoughts that came just before you die are the most baffling ones, and Yoongi could attest to that.

But, to his credit, after all these words that have been alluding to his apparent... mundaneness, Yoongi was suddenly washed by the strong need to face death with dignity. This man, who never faced more pressing danger than when some of his customers made a small picket for that one time he couldn't manage to supply enough strawberries on 'Berries Week', was noble enough to finally pry his eyes from the broomstick and raised them to meet his (probable) end. 

Much to his hassle, the stranger didn't even move from their spot. 

But there was no time for Yoongi to let out a relieved sigh. In fact, his relieved sigh was stuck square in the middle of his throat, like an ice cube simultaneously numbing and burning his whole entire being. Because the stranger did notice him, they- she did notice him. 

Those blue-brown eyes leered at him from beneath all the blankets, and Yoongi swore they were telling him that he's an idiot.


 



A/N: I'm so sorry for the super short chapter... I was moving back to my old place and yadda yadda busy time T.T

tbhh I might make the chapters for this story shorter... Because why not xD Anyone who objects please speak now, if not it'll be in effect in 3... 2... and 1

EDIT// I won't really make the chapter into this length everytime (by short i mean from 1000-2000 words long :p this chapter is only 700 words long) and don't worry, when the plot gets thick, the chapters will naturally get longer to accomodate the story. But in the meantime, I think a snappier, shorter chapter will suit with what I have in mind xD