Warming the Winter: Epilogue

Warming the Winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After seven years...

 

"Appa, where are we going?" the little child asked his father.

"Uhmm, we will go somewhere" he replied.

"I hate that somewhere" he threw tantrums because he was eager to know the answer.

"We must hurry up!" he told.

The phone rings and he answered it.

"YAH Minhyuk! Did you know that I am waiting for you?" the caller complained.

"Moonbyul, this kid besides me threw tantrums to me" he told.

"Appa doesn't want me to tell where we'll be going" the child suddenly cried.

"Omo! Yeolmin-ie don't cry" Minhyuk hushed.

Yeolmin is the second child of Minhyuk and Moonbyul who is intelligent yet savage sometimes. He is emotional too because he is sensitive. In short, the stressful child of Minhyuk and Moonbyul.

"Minhyuk, what did you do to him?" she asked.

"Because of the somewhere?" he replied.

"Stop crying. Your hyung will haunt you at night" he told.

Yeolmin cried loudly after Minhyuk scared him.

"Eomma" Yeolmin cried.

"Yah! Why did you scare him? Just go here quickly" she told to them. "Tell Yeolmin to stop crying"

"Ok o.. Ahh" Minhyuk shouted in pain. "Yeolmin"

"WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?" Moonbyul panicked.

"He bit my hand" he replied.

“I thought something happened to him. Please don’t overreact again” Moonbyul said on the other line.

"Yeolmin-ie, your eomma is waiting there. Stop crying and say sorry to me" he scolded Yeolmin.

"Saranghaeyo appa" Yeolmin still crying while apologizing to his father.

Minhyuk drove and parked the car. He went inside the place where Moonbyul is waiting for them.

"Somewhere but in a cemetery appa?" Yeolmin pouted. "Ahh, hyung's birthday"

"So you realized now that it was your hyung's birthday?" Minhyuk smirked at him.

"Hehehe... Eomma!!"

Yeolmin ran as he saw his mother. Moonbyul hugged and carried Yeolmin as she saw him also.

"Where's your appa?" Moonbyul asked.

"There" he answered while pointing at his father with his little index finger.

"Sorry if we're late" Minhyuk apologized. "This kid fought at me and he almost forgot that it was Yoolreum's birthday"

"Oh.. Yeolmin-ie, did you forget your hyung's birthday?" Moonbyul asked.

"No" while shaking his head.

"Liar!" Minhyuk spat.

"Yah! Yah! Stop!" Moonbyul said. "Yeolmin say sorry to appa and hyung"

"Mianhae appa" he bowed and put his hands together. "Saranghae"

"Nado... Don't do that" he taught and patted his head.

"Yes!" he assured with his smile. "Eomma, please bring me down"

"Okay!" she said and bring Yeolmin down.

"Hyungie, I'm so handsome right? Happy Birthday, hyung. Sorry if I almost forgot your day. I'm still handsome even though I cried right?" Yeolmin greeted.

"Ah this kid is only four years old but his mental age is like 13. He keeps on bragging he is handsome" Minhyuk whispered to Moonbyul.

"You taught him right? Blame yourself why he is like that" Moonbyul teased.

"I did not teach him to be over confident. Maybe you are the one who taught him" Minhyuk protest.

“You’re the one who is with him often, so you are the one who taught him” Moonbyul objected Minhyuk’s words.

“Eomma, Appa, why are you fighting with each other?” Yeolmin queried interrupting the couple who is still arguing about the senseless topic. “Hyung and I will be sad”

Moonbyul chuckled and Minhyuk sat that will level Yeolmin and pat his head.

"We're not fighting, we are having a conversation where did you inherit your wit" Minhyuk smiled at their son and pinched his nose.

"Eomma, appa, Auntie Hani told me that you broke up before because you were always fighting" Yeolmin told them.

Moonbyul and Minhyuk looked at each other. They don't know how to explain it to Yeolmin what happened to them before. From those messy situation to reconciliation.

"Yeolmin-ah, Auntie Hani is right" Moonbyul admitted to Yeolmin. "But look we are okay, you are here"

"But I want to know" Yeolmin pouted. The couple laughed and began to tell him the story. 

Flashback

"Shall we start over again?" Minhyuk asked Moonbyul as they are exiting the cemetery.

Moonbyul stopped for a while and felt the awkward atmosphere because of their long separation brought by the time. Minhyuk noticed that Moonbyul did not respond to his question.

"I think I am taking this too--"

"No, its okay. Maybe we can start over again as friends" Moonbyul cut Minhyuk's words and smiled at him. "Shall I go now?"

"Take care of yourself, Moonbyul" Minhyuk replied and bid his good bye.

He watched her walking away from the gate and smiled as he met her after five years of being separated from each other. He still feel guilty about what he did even though Moonbyul already told him that she and their son were now okay.

On the other hand, Moonbyul went to Yongsun's bread shop and coincidentally, she saw Hani buying a bread.

"Oh, Byulyi. What have you gotten here?" Hani asked. "Wait, you look like you are not okay"

"I met him again" Byulyi began.

"What?!" Hani exclaimed. "Yongsun eoni, would like to bring some tea for the three of us?"

"What?! Is there a tea? Wait wait I need to listen to that" Yongsun rushed to the kitchen to prepare tea.

"Let's take our seat here" Hani said and eagerly waits Moonbyul to tell the story.

"Here's our tea!" Yongsun hummed and placed the tea drinks on the table.

"So what is it? What did he tell you?" Yongsun began questioning Moonbyul.

"Did he know that he is Yoolreum's father?" Hani asked too.

"Wait, one question at a time" Moonbyul spoke and drink her tea.

"I did not know that he followed me a while ago going to Yoolreum's tomb. At first, I was really shocked that he was there. Shocked that he followed me but all the memories went back and I felt my lingering angerness to him" Moonbyul began.

"What the hell? Is he a stalker?" Hani puzzled.

"He is really something. Wait, I think Changsub must know about this" Yongsun fished her phone from her pocket to call Changsub but was stopped by Moonbyul.

"No, no. Don't call him. He is friends with Minhyuk right?" Moonbyul begged to Yongsun.

"Ah okay" Yongsun nodded and Moonbyul began to continue the story.

"I told him about everything including Yoolreum's difficulties. He also told me about what happened to him. He was looking for me the whole time but lost his hope because he doesn't know where I am and I left to my apartment that time" Moonbyul continued as she was recalling what happened to them when they are in the cemetery

"He regretted that he wasn't around when we need him" the tears started to dwell in Moonbyul's eyes.

"I don't know what to feel in that hours. I actually don't know how can I really forgive him. I don't know why there is still a lingering feeling for him. I think it was because Yoolreum is happy that his father visited him for the first time" Moonbyul wiped her tears.

"Yet, I don't know if we can start over again even though I told him that it is okay. Whenever I think about him, only the difficult times will resurface. I really wanted to forget about him but Yoolreum will be sad right? I am so confuse today. I already move on with the situation of what happened to us. I just want to end what we had but there's something that hinders me" Moonbyul told. "Maybe it was our son became the bridge between us. He was the one who gave me strength and courage to forgive him. Maybe he also wanted to see me happy right? Maybe there is still a love for him which I cannot explain why"

"You are right. Yoolreum is the one who made you met him again. He just want you to forgive his father and forget what happened between you that still giving you pain. He wants you and his father to start all over again. Yoolreum is really an angel to you, Byeori" Yongsun addressed and hold Moonbyul's hand.

"Think of it that this is an advance present from Yoolreum" Hani convinced Moonbyul.

"Do you think I am right? Should I give him another chance?" Moonbyul asked to the both.

"You should gave him a chance eoni" a familiar voice replied.

The three women looked who spoke and it was Wheein together with Hwasa.

"Why are you guys here?" Yongsun asked to the two.

"Seems you don't like our presence, let's go Whee. We're going to celebrate Yoolreum's day" Hwasa replied and hold Wheein's wrist acting like they are going to leave.

"Wait, I am Yoolreum's mom! Why are you guys acting like that?" Moonbyul jokingly asked them. "Come here girls, we're going to celebrate his day"

The girls came back and had their seats. They smiled and Hyejin hold Moonbyul's hand.

"But eoni, you should really think about it whether you will try or not" Hyejin told her that made Moonbyul nod.

"Thank you so much" Moonbyul thanked and smiled at them.

They also talked about their happiest moments. Moonbyul is still thinking that maybe they should start over again or to completely forget what happened and also Minhyuk yet all she can think is about their son who wanted her to be happy.

 

 

"Eunkwang, where are you?" Minhyuk asked on the other line.

"I am with my children" Eunkwang replied. "Why? Do you need me today?"

"Did you know what happened to her after I left, right?" Minhyuk queried trying to suppress his tears.

"The who?" Eunkwang asked. "Call Changsub and Hyunsik, tell them that we are going to wait in my office" 

Eunkwang ended the call and Minhyuk did what he told to him. He went to Eunkwang's office and just in time when Eunkwang arrived.

"Eunkwang, I'm sorry for what I did a while ago" Minhyuk apologized and Eunkwang tapped his shoulder.

"Its okay, I know you haven't move on" Eunkwang smiled and entered to his office. Minhyuk followed him and sit on the couch.

Eunkwang brought glasses of water and he noticed that his friend looks pale, sad and regretful.

"I think he already knew or am I assuming it?" Eunkwang thought to himself.

They heard a knock from the door and Eunkwang told the persons to come in.

"Hyung, why did you call us so suddenly?" Changsub asked and comfortably sit on the couch.

"Someone is in need of our help" Eunkwang answered and pointed Minhyuk who keeps his head lowered.

"I sense that our conversation will be serious" Hyunsik predicted and sit on the other couch opposite to Changsub.

"Did you and your brother fight or is there--" Changsub words were cut when Minhyuk began.

"I met her a while ago"

"Her? Who among your exes?" Changsub asked.

Eunkwang hushed Changsub and let Minhyuk to gather his strength to tell the story. Minhyuk took a deep breath and answered Changsub.

"Byulyi. I met Byulyi in the cemetery" Minhyuk still trying not to let his tears fall.

"Byulyi as in Moon Byulyi? My fiancée's best friend?" Hyunsik puzzled and Minhyuk simply gave him nod as his answer.

"Aigoo!" Eunkwang and Changsub exclaimed in chorus.

"I am right" Eunkwang quietly told to himself.

"You know what happened to her right?" Minhyuk lifted his head and looked at Eunkwang. "Especially you, Eunkwang"

The men felt a strong silent atmosphere and Minhyuk started to cry. The guilt he felt become stronger and started to blame himself again for the unfortunate events that happened to Moonbyul and Yoolreum.

"Why am I so late in knowing this? Is this really my karma for what I did?" Minhyuk started to questioned himself.

"Hyung, we are trying to reach you when we received the news about them. We are really hoping that you will answer our calls and messages since you are looking for her however you are unreachable" Hyunsik explained. 

"Isn't it hyung after you tried to find her, you went to another country with your family right?" Changsub asked. "But hyung, don't think that this is your karma"

"My son, our son died without seeing me. If I only know and did not give up, maybe I was there in his side. Maybe I made him happy before he left, right? I am so dumb that I never listened to you guys. I am so dumb that I left her and let her feel and carry all the burden" Minhyuk lamented and still blamed himself.

"No one wanted this even Moonbyul and Yoolreum. Don't blame yourself for what happened. You just want to protect them from your formers" Eunkwang consoled.

"But I lost my son. I am so useless. If I could only go back to those time when they needed me, I will be there taking care of them. Taking care of our son. I am so foolish. Why can't it be me instead of our son? I am the one who made horrible mistakes but why our son?" Minhyuk bursted and the men tried their very best to console him.

"Even though she forgave me, it will not change the fact that I left her a big scar. It will not make our son alive. This is really painful that I did not do anything but to give them pain" Minhyuk bawled. "I felt that our son hate me for not being there when he wanted to see me"

"Hyung, don't say that. Yoolreum is really a goo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter