-Chapter 4-

그게 말이 돼? Do You Think It Makes Sense?

-Chapter 4-

“Group 1” Mr Kang said, beginning to tell the class who was assigned with who for the group project. “Chanmi, Hyunwoo, Hyunmi.” Hyunwoo looked disappointed. “Group 2; Seunghyun, Minho, Daehyun.” Minna crossed her fingers praying for a decent group. “Group 3; Minna, Jimin_”

Minna and Jimin high fived and Jimin let out a whoop of approval.  Others in the class looked annoyed that the best friends had been put together when they had been separated from theirs.

“Settle down class and let me continue.” Kang called out. “As I was saying, Group 3 is Minna, Jimin and Taehyung.”

The two friends’ jaws dropped and they glanced at Taehyung, he didn’t turn around but Minna could have sworn his shoulders tensed. Mr Kang called out the rest of their classmates’ names until everyone was in a group. Some students were complaining, others glared at Jimin and Minna for getting grouped together, but Minna was more concerned over learning that Taehyung would be in her group.

 It was the start of their last lesson of the day, and Minna knew like she needed to act quickly to ensure that they approached Taehyung in the right way about this project.

She pulled a page from her note book and quickly wrote a message on it.

“We need to talk to Taehyung about how to divide the work.” She passed the note to Jimin.

He read it then nodded at Minna. “Doesn’t he seem like the kind to slack to you? We need to find a way to ensure he pulls his weight.” He wrote back.

She pondered for a moment, tapping her pencil to the corner of her lip as she thought. Leaning forward she wrote “Lets approach him the minute class ends, before he can leave.”

“Great idea. If we can decide who is doing what straight away and give him plenty of time to do the work, he has no excuses.”

“We should set a date to start the project too, it’s due the end of next week so we have just over a week to complete it.”

They made their plans and when the class ended they were ready to strike. The moment the last bell sounded to mark the end of the lesson, Minna and Jimin stood up faster than any other student in the room. They moved to either side of Taehyung’s desk, giving him no space to get away. He slowly looked up, choosing to look at Jimin instead of Minna, but didn’t say anything.

Minna watched Jimin awkwardly scratch his neck, Taehyung raised an eyebrow.

“We thought we would delegate our project work now, which gives us as much time as possible to get it done.” Jimin explained. Taehyung looked at him expectantly. Minna decided to help him out.

“Since I’m the best at English here I’ll work on writing the main body of text. Jimin will create the PowerPoint, so how about you research these.” Minna said, taking Taehyung’s project sheet from his desk and circling the work that was being assigned to Taehyung.

“Any problems with that?” Jimin asked.

Taehyung glanced at the sheet. “No.” He was as quiet and hard to read as always.

“Great.” Minna said, thinking that that was the end of that but she saw a devilish smile on Jimin’s face and before she could stop him he was helping Taehyung out of his seat.

“Let’s make a start on it now then! My studio is free tonight and won’t be for the rest of the week, it’s a great place to work so we might as well use it.”

Minna looked at Jimin with an open mouth, wishing he could hear her thoughts screaming “No! Don’t invite him!” Taehyung looked a bit taken off guard, not expecting anyone to be so forward with him, especially after ensuring he was seen from the offset as impassive and unapproachable.

Taehyung looked like he was searching for the right excuse. He realised that even if he escaped going along with them today, he would have to meet them in the future to do the project, so with reluctance, he stood up and let Jimin lead the way.

As they left school, Minna walked alongside Jimin, with Taehyung trailing just behind. He had his jacket held over his shoulder as he walked. ‘Forever the cool guy image.’ Minna thought.  She was surprised by how casual Jimin was being, but after conversing with Jimin for a while she too started to relax and almost forgot that Taehyung was walking with them. She chatted with Jimin as usual for the whole ten-minute walk to his studio, and pretended to hit him when he insulted her. It was the way their friendship had always been. They reached the studio and Jimin showed Taehyung to the computer, which was in one corner of the room. During dance practise, they used it to look at videos of dancing online, as well as update their website and upload their own dance videos to their YouTube channel.

“You can use this to do the research.” Jimin told Taehyung, checking Taehyung had everything he needed to begin the work . Meanwhile Minna sat with her back to the mirrored wall nearby, spreading her books out around her and placing the one she needed most on her lap, highlighting relevant information now and then. Jimin came and sat next to her on the floor, doing his own share of the work. At first Taehyung just silently got on with his work, but as the voices of Minna and Jimin reached his ears he found it harder to concentrate. Jimin was asking Minna questions about the work, and she was answering it for him, to which he would usually make a stupid comment. Minna would laugh or lightly hit him on the head. He compared his own situation, alone in the corner, to theirs, working together and laughing.

He felt jealous, he didn’t remember ever having a relationship like that with anyone.  He wondered if he had had a relationship like that in the past, one he didn’t remember, one he couldn’t remember.

Suddenly, as if sensing his gaze, Minna looked up and caught Taehyung’s eye. Their eyes lingered for a moment, and unlike usual, Taehyung was the first to look away. He focused on the screen again, trying to concentrate on working. Jimin looked up to see Minna starring at Taehyung. He nudged her arm and gave her a questioning look. 

Minna shook her head and went to carry on with her work, but she accidentally pressed her burnt fingers against the edge of her book. She had been careful all day not to touch her burnt fingers against anything, as it triggered a burst of burning hot pain, but this simple mistake had cost her all her effort. As the pain seared across her fingers she let out a small yelp of pain. Both Jimin and Taehyung looked up.

“What is it?” Jimin asked.

“Oh nothing, I almost got a papercut.” She lied, hoping they wouldn’t see the burn.

“You’re lying.” Taehyung said. “It looked like a burn.” Minna looked at him in a confused and accusing way. How had he seen that from where he was sat?

She tried to hide her hand in her sleeve but Jimin caught her wrist and lifted her hand. He gasped when he saw the burn.

“Minna that’s really bad! How did you do it?”

Minna ignored the question. “It’s okay, its only small.”

“It might scar or get infected.”

“I’ll buy some medicine for it tonight.” She promised.

As much as she appreciated Jimin’s concern, she didn’t want to trouble him.  She returned to work and after a moment, so did Taehyung and Jimin. Why had he pointed it out like that? Could it really be that he was concerned too? He came across and so uncaring, but then again, he had saved her during the fire.

For almost two hours they worked on, until Jimin’s stomach gave out a large grumble.

“Time for food.” Jimin said, patting his stomach and slowing getting up from the floor. He stretched and went over to Taehyung. “How’d you get on?”

He was surprised to see Taehyung had been working just as hard as them. Jimin gave Taehyung his and Minna’s email addresses so he could forward them the work.

“We’ll put together what we have and meet again next week for the finishing touches.” Minna said, putting her books into her bag. When they were all ready, they made their way outside.

“Minna wait for me, I just need to lock up.” Jimin said, heading back inside to turn off the lights and lock the studio for the night.

Minna found herself standing outside with Taehyung. Before he could walk off Minna took the opportunity to speak to Taehyung.

“Uh…  Taehyung.” He looked at Minna as he finished pulling his jacket on. “I just wanted to thank you, for that day... the fire.”

Taehyung looked awkward, she was used to seeing him look smug and in control, but he was clearly uncomfortable with this conversation.

“There’s no need to thank me.” He said, starting to walk away. She reached out to stop him, grabbing his sleeve. He stopped walking and she quickly let go.

“There is a need. You saved my life, I might not be here today if it wasn’t for you.”

“If it wasn’t for me…” He trailed off and gave one quick, humourless chuckle. He started to turn away from Minna.

“Did you start the fire?” He froze in his tracks.

The door beside Minna opened. “Thanks for waiting_ oh.” Jimin was shocked as he saw Taehyung still standing there. Taehyung took his chance and quickly strode off.

Minna watched him retreat until he was no longer visible, then tugged on Jimin’s arm. “Let’s go.”

They went to a restaurant they almost always frequented after visiting the studio. The woman that worked there smiled as they walked in. “Back again?” She asked.

They smiled and ordered food, when it arrived Jimin began to tuck in, but Minna took it more slowly.

“You know” She started after a moment “Taehyung is really strange.”

“You only just noticed?” Jimin said over a mouthful of food.

“Well, at first he seems like he wants to be alone, like he’s not interested in other people at all… but I think it’s an act. He seems troubled.”

“Maybe that’s the case.” Jimin started “But what does that have to do with you? There must be a reason he’s like it, don’t interfere. It’ll only get you into trouble.”

Minna frowned, it went against her nature to ignore someone who needed help.

“I guess so.” She sighed and finished the rest of her food. It was true that since Taehyung started at her school, not only had she been involved in a fire, but also broke school rules to investigate herself. She had never been one to go against rules before. She decided not to bring the conversation up again, at least for now, and finished her meal.

They left the restaurant and started to make their way home and although Jimin lived in the same area as Minna, he always insisted on walking her all the way to her door.

They walked in comfortable silence, slightly drowsy after filling their stomachs, and it wasn’t long before they reached Minna’s house.

She turned before entering her house and called out “Thank you for walking me home.”

Waving her goodbye with both hands Jimin cheerily called out “See you tomorrow Minna-yah.”

 She smiled and went inside, waving back before closing the door.

Minna lived in a decent sized house with her two parents, but it could be lonely at times. She was an only child so she had often found herself wondering what to do, though luckily, she had had Jimin in her life from a young age, and he could easily pass as her brother for how close they were. Her mother greeted her and she gave her a hug.

“How was school today. No fires I hope?” Her father called from the kitchen. Minna giggled at her dad’s humour.

“Not today.” Minna responded. Her mother pat her on the head.

“And thank goodness for that.” Her mother cooed.

“I’m going to head upstairs and do my homework.” Minna told them, heading to her room.

“Don’t’ work too hard or your brain will turn to kimchi!” Her dad called after her.

She studied for a while, but the pain in her fingers had steadily gotten worse, and with the pain came reminders of recent events. The strange carving in the wall, Taehyung’s odd behaviour, and the fact that he was somehow involved in the fire, of that she was certain. She decided to go for a walk to clear her mind. She had been cooped up inside for almost all the day, she needed some time out to think.

She took a long walk, following a path with took her down the narrow, winding residential roads, and for a while past the Han. She stopped for a while at the river’s edge and let the cool night breeze calm her mind. She lifted her hand and let the breeze run through her fingers. It was soothing, and she found herself feeling a lot calmer.

She turned to make her way back home, heading towards the small residential roads again. She knew this area well, and decided to take a quiet route which would bring her past a convenience store, feeling like she needed a cold refreshing drink. As she walked along feeling lighter, she would hum now and then, feeling at peace.

She suddenly stopped when she heard a noise. The sound of thudding coming from nearby, it sounded incredibly out of place in this otherwise quiet neighbourhood. She slowed her walk and followed the sound, peering around street corners and keeping as quiet as she could. She turned a corner and saw two figures ahead kicking something on the ground. She had to cover to stop her gasp when she realised it was a person. She backed back around the corner. This area had always been safe, she didn’t know what to do after witnessing something like this. Panicking, she looked for a way to stop the fighting without getting involved. She noticed a pebble on the floor beside her and threw it with all her strength. It bounced loudly off of two trash cans further up the road, behind the two figures who were still kicking their victim. They turned suddenly to see who was there.

This was the chance the person on the floor had needed, and they heaved themselves up off the floor and ran in Minna’s direction, away from the thugs who were facing the other way. She had been peering around the edge of the street and saw him running her way. She was about to duck back and hide again when she recognised the jacket the figure was wearing. Black with colourful stitching. They got closer and ran underneath a streetlamp and their face was momentarily illuminated. It was without a doubt, Kim Taehyung.

As he reached the corner of the road she grabbed onto his arm and pulled him with her, running for a narrow road between buildings. Taehyung was shocked at being pulled along and at first went to resist, but he must have sensed that whoever this was was trying to help him. With all the commotion, he didn’t even get to see her face, but followed along as he tried to escape the attackers. She led him through the familiar winding paths and they ran for what felt like forever, until they were sure they had lost the attackers.

They stopped, panting for breath and Minna realised she was still holding onto Taehyungs wrist. She let go. Taehyung put his hands on his knees, panting hard to get his breath back.

After a moment, Minna asked “Are you okay?”

Taehyung froze, then let out a sigh. He straightened up and looked at the girl before him. “It’s always you.” He said, ruffling his hair in frustration, his breathing almost back to normal now.

“Excuse me?” Minna asked, wondering what he could possibly mean.

“Whenever something like this happens, you’re always around interfering.” Taehyung said. Minna couldn’t remember Taehyung ever speaking his mind before. She was shocked that he seemed to have come out of his shell. He must be shaken from the attack, she knew she would have been if she was in his place.

“I just saved you from attackers! If you didn’t want me to interfere then be my guest and go back to them, I’m sure they’d be glad to carry on.” Minna pointed out.

A moment of awkward silence passed between them, in which a food-delivery motorbike passed them, it’s headlights giving them enough light to clearly see each other’s face.

Minna’s anger and confusion at Taehyung turned into concern when she saw the bruises and blood on his face.

“Come with me.” Minna said, turning to walk off. She sensed that Taehyung hadn’t moved and reached for his arm to pull him along. Taehyung moved his arm away before Minna could take it, and she let her arm drop back to her side. “Why, are you just going to stand here all night? I was on my way home and look at this mess I’ve ended up in.” Minna tutted and shook her head at Taehyung disapprovingly “Make my life easier and just come along, this is the last time I’ll interfere.” Minna told him.

He seemed to return somewhat to his usual self and snickered at Minna. He stepped forward in the direction that Minna had started to walk with the usual smirk and air of coolness he had always portrayed at school. They reached the convenience store Minna had been planning to visit earlier and she sat him down on a wooden bench outside.

“If you so much as move an inch I’ll report to school that you were involved in a street fight.” Minna warned. Taehyung gave a chuckle and nodded once.

She went inside and Taehyung let his mask drop just for a second. His body ached, his face hurt, he couldn’t remember the last time he had felt this tired. He in a deep, shaky breath and released it again, letting the air hiss through his teeth as just the act of breathing sent spirals of pain through his abdomen.

Minna returned from the convenience store and he controlled his expressions once again, watching as she placed two cans of drink on the wooden table. She then lifted a tube of ointment, unscrewing the lid. He watched her as she squeezed the medicine onto her finger, then moved it towards his face. He leant back in surprise.

“What are you doing.” He asked, looking between her finger and her face. Minna tried not to chuckle at seeing him so flustered.

“Your face is injured, if you leave it it will scar. Plus, you can’t see where the injuries are by yourself.” She moved her finger forward once more and Taehyung watched her face in confusion.

Minna carefully applied the ointment along a cut on Taehyungs cheek. Squeezing more onto her finger she began to apply it onto smaller cuts, one on his eyebrow, one on his chin, until there was only one place left. She reached for the cut on the edge of his lip and he grabbed her wrist. She had been so drawn in by applying medicine, she forgot just whose face it was. She looked up, only inches away from Taehyung’s face and became flustered.

“I can do that.” He said, taking the ointment off her finger and dabbing it onto the cut by himself. He did it messily but it just about covered the cut.

Minna moved backwards from Taehyung, and went to put the lid back onto the tube but he stopped her again.

“Wha…?” She trailed off. Confused by Taehyung’s actions.

“We’re not done here.” He replied.

She studied his face for a cut she missed but couldn’t see one. He suddenly took her left hand in his and turned it over so her palm was facing the night sky. Carefully, he traced the lotion over her burnt finger tips. She felt her face begin to burn, and knew she must be blushing. She became aware of just how closely they were sitting. Their knees were leaning against each other, their bodies turned towards one another, and her hand in Taehyung’s surprisingly soft ones. She wondered if he had felt this flustered when she applied the medicine, her confidence was leaving her and she found herself getting increasingly more embarrased she had applied lotion directly to his face. He stopped applying lotion and Minna immediately turned away from him, picking up her can and busying herself with taking a sip.

He was meant to be the cool-quiet type that wasn’t involved or interested in any of his classmates. That was what he had wanted, that was what she had expected. Yet every time she met him she felt something more was revealed, and with each revelation came an even more confusing mystery. Taehyung was much more complicated than he appeared.

Taehyung snapped her from her thoughts by standing up. He picked the can of drink up that Minna had bought for him and nodded his head as a way of saying thanks.

She bowed her head. “Good night.” She managed to say, her head unfocused as it reeled with questions. He turned away from her and walked off into the night, leaving Minna with yet more curiosity than before. Just who was Kim Taehyung?

 


 

As always, thaaaaank you for reading this far! Please please please leave your comments, Criticism or compliments welcomed~ oh, and UPVOTE!!! ^.^