; those three little words

Vanilla & Ashtray
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the sun sets and darkness comes
I only remember your warmth
Where the stars wrap around us
I’m going there, I’ll be there

-  Seventeen. / Highlight 

The comforting wind that came from the outside of the window made Jeonghan’s hair to flutter gently, tickling his neck ever so slightly. He grumbled and grunted as his eyes slowly opened and adjusted to the light of the afternoon sunlight that beamed at him through the thick glass of the windscreen.

“You’re finally awake?”

Beside him, seating on the driving seat of an old blue Sudan, was Seungcheol. The man Jeonghan was so proud to call his boyfriend. He was driving with only his right hand, his left was tapping on the roof of the vehicle, out of the car and enjoying the wind from his fully opened window. His charming boyish grin never left his face. The sunlight casted shadows and enhanced his features even more. Jeonghan had never laid his eyes upon someone so ethereal before.

“You were dozing off for a good forty minutes or so,” Seungcheol took his eyes off the straight open road and faced his partner who was wiping his face in case he had dribbled. “I was upset Han, I wanted to show you just how pretty this area can be during near-dawn.”

Jeonghan snorted at the fake pout his boyfriend made and gazed out through his side of the window to take in the fresh, musky air and the far buildings and dirt open road. They were clearly not in the city anymore, and he had no idea where they were. It didn’t even seem like a place from where they live, since it was always filled with tall complex buildings, concreted gravel floor and groups of people everywhere. His eyes sparkled at the scenery. It wasn’t entirely beautiful, however, it was strangely…entrancing.

“Where are we going?” He asked, now eyeing the sky that was in the middle of changing colours. The clouds above them were clear and almost see through, unlike the thick white clouds from yesterday where it looked like massive clumps of cotton-balls littering the morning sky.

“No idea.” Seungcheol was now driving with two hands on the leathered steering wheel which he then turned to the right. He laughed when Jeonghan sat upright and smacked his forearm. “I’m kidding,” He assured the younger. “It’s this small lake that my friends and I went to after our last exams when we were your age.”

“You weren’t even allowed to own a car, you were sixteen.”

“True, but my cousin was twenty-one. He liked taking us out, still does, and he knew that we were stressing a lot. Especially Chan. He was sitting at a low D for almost everything.”

Jeonghan smiled to himself. Chan walked up to him at the start of the exam season and told him some motivational speeches which sounded like they were taken off the internet but Jeonghan didn’t comment about it. Besides, it looked like the guy was sincerely putting his heart into making sure his younger school mates we’re taking care of their health. It all made sense.

“But I’m not stress.” Jeonghan pointed out.

“Oh come on Han,” Seungcheol whined, his words all stretched and strained. “I’m trying to be romantic here. Can’t you at least play along?”

Jeonghan snorted for the second time and bit back his laughter. “My my! A lake? How exciting!! I cannot believe you would go through all this trouble in distressing your stressed-out boyfriend! What did I do to deserve such a thoughtful and romantic boyfriend!” Jeonghan was throwing his hand expressively, faking a faint, putting on a show as though he was in a play.

“I want to throw you out of this moving vehicle.” Seungcheol hissed between his teeth. Jeonghan laughed and reached forward to pat the elder’s hair, loving the way the strands felt so feathery and fluffy between the tangles of his fingers.

“Thank you.” Jeonghan uttered delicately.

His sudden change of emotions made Seungcheol to turn his head in surprise, almost drowning in the soft, gentle massaging Jeonghan began to give him. His eyes travelled to Jeonghan’s eyes that lost its focus yet still had so much affection and tender swirling inside his brown orbs. Seungcheol almost leaned in to kiss him.

 

The lake didn’t look as beautiful as Seungcheol had hoped. It wasn’t the same picture he had in mind two years ago. It was left untidy and disordered. Over grown trees filled both sides, vines hanged down and dipped into the water. There was barely a walkway and birds that they both couldn’t name were singing to them as they made their way to watch and feel the ambience of the gentle movement of nature. Even the water was murky and had a tinge of green and brown mixed into each other. The colours changing depending on where they stood and the angle of the light hitting that hits the surface of the lake.

“Sorry,” Seungcheol said. Disappointment and shame leaked out of his voice, his eyes couldn’t even find its way in meeting the boy that stood beside him; whose eyes never left the image in front of them.

“It’s gorgeous.” Jeonghan breathed. He took a step forward and heard the soft crackles and pops of the stones beneath his feet. It was so soothing.

“It’s…dirty.”

Jeonghan shook his head, “No, its nature.” He corrected. “Nature is beautiful whether the trees were trimmed or not, whether the water is sparkling clean or dirty, whether the plants are dying or alive. Can’t you see? Can’t you see just how breathtaking this is?”

He had spun on his heel and locking eyes with Seungcheol who listened to him with a smile on his face which happened unintentionally. The sparkle in Jeonghan’s eyes assured the other that he wasn’t lying. Seungcheol took another look around the place, and sure enough, it was as gorgeous as his boyfriend stated.

Jeonghan saw the different glint in Seungcheol’s eyes and he raised his hand towards him with a sheepish grin in his face. Seungcheol chuckled softly and took it without any hesitation. He stepped to where Jeonghan was and the two turned to fully look at the lake and admire everything.

Jeonghan didn’t let go of the other male’s hands, instead he gripped on it tighter and stood closer to him. “If only I can take pictures with my eyes. I don’t think my phone will be able to capture the beauty we see with our very eyes. Ah, such a shame.”

“We can come back here, any time you want to so you won’t have to worry about forgetting the scene.”

Jeonghan tilted his head then made Seungcheol to face him by grabbing onto his shoulders. He wrapped his arm around Seungcheol, his thumb caressing the back of the other’s neck. “My, what a good boyfriend are you. I simply do not and cannot believe that I’m yours. Sure it’s only been two weeks, but golly gosh!” Seungcheol rolled his eyes at Jeonghan but the beam on his face was clearly stating that he was enjoying what was being said. “Golly golly gosh, am I lucky to be able to experience so many things with you over such a short amount of time.”

“Well,” Seungcheol’s arms s around to hold onto his boyfriend’s waist. Jeonghan was so lean and thin. “I guess stalking me hardcore for five months was worth it?”

Jeonghan pinked and Seungcheol threw his head back and howled with laughter. The younger slid his arms away from Seungcheol but Seungcheol forced it to circle him like before.

 

Seungcheol spotted the sun setting behind Seungcheol and gawked at the sight. The mixture of pin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter