Wraiths of the Past

Wake Me Up In Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She was lost...lost in a never ending maze.

She couldn't find the way out. All she could do was wander around like a lost child. Suddenly, the ground opened up underneath her. Her eyes widened in terror. She tried calling out for help but her voice couldn't work.

She grasped the edge for a hold, panicking when she felt her hands slip. Scrabbling, she could feel herself falling when she saw a hand reaching out to her.

She couldn't make out his profile but she could tell it was a guy. He pulled her out of the hole and led her out of the maze. Outside of the dark maze was bright light, so bright her eyes took a while to adjust to the sudden change of brightness.

She turned around to thank the stranger only to discover he was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Los Angeles, California

The police man surveyed the wreckage. The victim of the car accident had just been taken to the hospital and now they were cleaning up the glass.

He set to work sweeping up the glass while his fellow workers controlled the traffic. He shuddered when he remembered when he arrived at the scene of the accident. There was blood and glass everywhere. He busied himself sweeping and wiping away the blood stains.

He paused to wipe his brow when something caught his eye. He bent over to pick it up. It has a bracelet with a lock charm on it.

He turned it over; it was pretty wrecked up and chipped. He wondered what to do with it. It wasn't too far from the victim's car. If he remembered correctly, the victim was a teenage girl.

Maybe it was hers.

Or maybe it was just another piece of junk thrown away and littering the road.

He tucked it into his pocket; he'd check with the girl's mom just to be sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chae Ryun's POV

"Oppa! Help me! Please!" I cried out, my hand straining to reach a figure in the shadows. I was trapped. Invisible wraiths pulled me away from the person, restraining me. 

However, no matter how hard I screamed or struggled, the figure just walked farther and farther away.

The wraiths got tighter and tighter, circling around my neck. 

I tried to scream, but the only sound that came out was a choked gurgle. I clawed at my throat, feeling the oxygen slip away from me.

I woke up, screaming with my hands clawing the bedsheets. I looked around my wildly, craning my neck and ignoring the sharp twinge of pain.

I was lying in a hospital bed. Blank white walls surrounded me, making me feel suffocated. Immediately, I was swarmed by numerous people in white uniforms and scrubs.

The heart monitor next to me was beeping like crazy. I started clawing at my throat. the wraiths were still there, twisting around my neck. I clawed at my throat.

Several nurses had to restrain my arms which were wrapped in casts. I still cried out, struggling against the restraints. 

"Yah, give her a dose!" One of the nurses yelled.

In a lightning flash, one nurse drove a syringe into my arm. Almost immediately, I could feel my eyelids drooping heavily. Slowly, I started to close my eyes and gave in to the darkness. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Author's POV

"Mrs. Song, I'm afraid your daughter is in critical condition." The doctor spoke without emotion, looking at his clipboard. "The way she woke up from her coma is...not a good sign, let's just say that. She often goes in and out of comatose, which is highly unusual."

"According to the nurses, she hallucinates every night. She always wakes up screaming, always going on about this or that. Quote: 'In the corner! There's a person in the corner! Right there!'"

He shook his head, "Did your daughter go through any physchological or traumatic experiences?"

Mrs. Song mopped her brow worriedly, "She did suffer a near life-death experience after a run-in with a car when she was younger."

He nodded, digesting this information, "And where did this happen?"

"When we were living in Korea."

He ate up this new lead, "I suggest she go back to Korea then. We have confirmed that she suffers from retrograde amnesia from this car accident. However, a part of her mind still remembers these...unpleasant events. Revisiting her old haunts will probably help her confront her fears."

Mrs.Song nodded, hanging onto the doctor's every word. 

"We have evaluated her and have thus found several fractured ribs, one broken arm, a punctured throat, and severe skull damage. I'm surprised she has made it this far. We were almost this close," he pinches his fingers together to emphasize his point, "to pronouncing her dead. It was like a miracle when her heart started beating again."

Mrs. Song burst into tears, thinking about how much pain her daughter must have gone through.

"Also, we put her on a lot of sedatives and medication so her thinking may be a bit delayed. If I were you, Mrs. Song, I would get ready to pray hard."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seoul, Korea

Key's POV

 

Jonghyun did a 360 in his chair in their dressing room. "Whatdaya think?" he asked Key, looking at the mirror, admiring his new image.

They were preparing for their next concert backstage. Jonghyun tilted the mirror a bit to get a better view of his hair.

Key was putting on his black ripped outfit, with chain links with Seohyun noona bustling around him fixing his hair while Onew and Taemin were sitting in chairs getting their looks restyled too. Minho was already finished and stretched out on the futon, sleeping soundly.

Key smiled and gave Jonghyun a thumbs up, "Awesome." he said in english.

"Okay, you're almost done." Seo Hyun, one of their closest coordi noonas, spoke to Key, "I just need to get--" She got cut off when her phone rang. She looked at the caller ID and a sense of urgency clouded her delicate features. 

"Yabosaeyo??" she picked up hastily. She started walking away from the group, retreating into a corner of the room.

Key, curious, strained his ears to listen.

"Eh?! Really?! Oh, poor girl...is she okay?..................OMG.....HOW THE HECK DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!" SeoHyun gasped, her hand flying to in shock. "Sure, of course. I'll do anything to help. When though?..No, no, its okay, seriously......Give her my love and prayers. Bye, gomo. Tell ahjusshi I said hi! Hope she gets better soon. Bye." She hang up, rubbing her temples.

She came back into the room, muttering to herself. "In a couple of weeks...better start cleaning. What did I need to get before?? For who's hair?" She looked around the room.

Key raised his hand, "Me."

"Oh yeah! Hairdryer...hairdyer...where are youuu????" She found a hairdryer and resumed her work on Key's hair.

"Is everything okay, noona?" Taemin asked.

"Hm?" She kept her eyes on her work. "Oh no..its just that my cousin got in a bad car accident....They say she was found hanging upside down by her seatbelt for a FULL THIRTY MINUTES before they rescued her."

The other members leaned forward, listening to SeoHyun speak. Key subtly shifted in his chair.

"Her mom says that the car roof caved around her head and now her skull got crushed. Her body is full of scratches and cuts, her leg is broken, so is her arm, and on top of that..."

She spoke in a hushed whisper, "The trauma caused retrograde amnesia..she can't remember anything except the past two years...The doctor says she might remember something if she comes back to her hometown...MIGHT."

She wiped a few tears from her eyes, "Such a sweet girl. She didn't deserve anything like this. Hallucinating, choking...oh god...My aunt told me that her heart actually stopped beating for a whil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter