jihoon doesn't want balloons at his party but seokmin challenges that opinion

anxiety

AN: Sorry this took forever AND it is a monster of a chapter. I hope that everyone enjoys it though! I feel like Seokmin and Jihoon didn't get enough time in the spotlight, so this is me attempting to fix that if just a little bit. Otherwise, things are back to being complicated + there's a slight time skip (by a month), so I needed somehow to kick that off. I wasn't going to have the party in this part, but here it is...

 

THANK YOU! for the subs + comments. I really, really appreciate it. It really helps me push to keep going in the midst of my crazy life! 

 


 

A month passes by playing all the same rhythms.

 

For Mingyu, he has breakfast with Chan and Joshua nearly every morning, goes to classes, sees Joshua when they are both free, studies for exams that he’s bound to fail after inviting Joshua over to study alongside him, goes to the ‘friend dinners’ that resume being a regular Friday afternoon event for them, smiles at strangers, holds Joshua when he cries from the stress of things both known and unknown, does his chores, cooks food for everyone, and revels in the fact that Junhui no longer shares Minghao’s and his room any longer.

 

For Joshua, he usually has breakfast with Mingyu, scolds Hansol for locking himself up in his room, tries to become friends with him during an emotionally volatile time, watches Wonwoo add another five potted plants to their living room windowsill, helps Seungcheol and Jeonghan find a place to start their new, soon-to-be married life, tries not to distract Mingyu while they study, passes exams with flying colors, and focuses really hard on not rushing things.

 

For Hansol, he eats alone, locks himself away in his room hoping that Joshua will ignore him, obsessively checks his phone for messages from Seungkwan (who he had definitely underestimated when he asked for some room to think things through), tries to resist texting him or even calling him to see if he’s alright, fails a couple more assignments and exams to add on to the ones he’s failed trying to find the soulmate who has been beside him, calls the on-campus therapists, hangs up on the on-campus therapists, asks Wonwoo (of all people) for advice on a subject that he’s really not up-to-date on, and forgets to do his laundry regularly.

 

For Seungkwan, he eats less, sings more, cries a bit, tries to find solace in Seokmin who gives advice that he doesn’t take because he’s giving Hansol space, struggles with classes, watches as his grades diminish in the short month he’s been preoccupied, refuses to go out to ‘friend dinners’ even when Jihoon insists on it, and visits home on a false family emergency call just to be away from everyone for awhile.

 

For Seokmin, he spends his mornings with Jihoon seeing as they live together, blissfully forgets that Jihoon hates cuddling, sings a lot both professionally and unprofessionally, comforts a crying Seungkwan who insists that stress eating is the worst and he won’t fall prey to it, notices as he pushes his plates away before finishing them whenever they are out together, tries to be a better friend to him but it backfires and Seungkwan seems to withdraw further, is comforted by Jihoon (wrongly, he believes) when it seems like he’s not helping Seungkwan, and dyes his hair a shade lighter just to see what it might look like.

 

For Jihoon, he spends his time trying to avoid the others, detests the drama that he hears from Seokmin and Seungkwan, tries his damnedest to avoid responsibility for a week (but he’s back into working full-time in the studio), listens to Seokmin who just wants to be helpful, tries to get Seungkwan to eat a little more, writes some more lyrics that Seokmin sings back to him in a way that makes Jihoon think they were meant to be, and tries to get more than four hours of sleep at night so that he can stop falling asleep while working at the restaurant.

For Minghao, he sees Junhui off at the airport, kisses him until he has to leave, promises him to visit if he could, stands too long in the airport after Junhui’s flight has left, feels like crying but goes home to bury his feelings in schoolwork, dances a little too much, pulls a muscle in his back, becomes irritated at Chan for trying to help him, realizes that he’s being an too late in the day, spends most of his time on the phone with Junhui, somehow continues to pass his classes, and apologizes to Chan too many times.

 

For Junhui, he spends the rest of his time with Minghao, goes home, tries not to think about how wrong it feels to be at home (but he knows that Minghao is not his soulmate, so whatever pull there is on him does not relate to that), calls him too often, realizes he’s being clingy and calls him less, picks up the phone in the middle of work to hear Minghao’s voice, almost gets fired for his behavior, asks for a transfer, doesn’t receive a transfer, asks again for one, lays down to think about things, and realizes that he’s not sure if there will ever be a correct answer laid down for him concerning anything in his life.

 

For Wonwoo, he feels too new, tries to tip-toe in the friend group so that he doesn’t disturb anything, finds himself rubbing Hansol’s back in slow circles as the boy curls in on himself, brings Joshua and Hansol breakfast every morning he’s awake before them, sings in the morning to the same songs that Soonyoung does, washes the apron that Soonyoung loves, brings ten plants back from campus and sets them all out in the living room window, and tries to convince himself that when Soonyoung grabs his hand at the movies, it is only because of the movie’s contents.

 

For Soonyoung, he asks to spend time with Wonwoo, asks to spend more time with him, gets to know his soulmate through the meals they share, helps him water his plants and brings him three new plants to add to the living room (or his own room), finds out that his major is in botany (which should have come as no surprise to him), accidentally holds his hand when they go watch a horror movie with Mingyu and Joshua, screams in the movie theater and gets them kicked out (but they all laugh about it afterwards in the parking lot), wonders why Chan doesn’t respond to his texts, and finally feels like everything’s where it needs to be.

 

For Seungcheol, he tries to adjust to his new life, attempts to get a job at a nearby radio station, doesn’t hear back from them for awhile, buys a home with Jeonghan, does exactly what he’s always done for Jeonghan, kisses him a little too long, takes over planning of group events so Minghao doesn’t have to worry about it, tries to get to know the others, goes wedding shopping with Mingyu who would rather be anywhere else, gets a cold, and finally gets the job.

 

For Jeonghan, he immediately makes his bed in Korea, tries not to think about home, clings to Seungcheol because he misses his home, spends time with Joshua, drags him into wedding shopping with him, goes on a couple double dates with the new couple so that he can evaluate Mingyu, decides that Mingyu’s not the worst he could have done, tries to get Seungcheol to make more friends, tries to make more friends himself, takes Chan with him to the grocery store more than once, and passes out in the living room of his new home.

 

For Chan, he tries to see Mingyu as much as he had before Joshua had moved into his life, tries to visit Hansol who doesn’t want to see him, tries to hang out with Minghao (but it backfires and they end up awkwardly sitting near each other, waiting for Soonyoung to take them home), tries to get a hold of Soonyoung (but fails most days), realizes that his friends are all seeming to move along without him, spends a lot of time upset over this realization, meets Jeonghan in Hansol’s living room talking to Joshua, falls right in love with the older male (well, not in any traditional, romantic sense, and instead just cannot stop himself from staring at him or trying to make him his new friend), makes tentative friends with both Seungcheol and Jeonghan who often take him with them when they shop for essentials for their new home, and listens intently to the soulmate that he hopes that he can one day meet.

 

--

 

“Are you sure this is going to work?” Joshua, usually optimistic, sounds skeptical. His arm cramps from holding up the streamers against the wall. Mingyu is situated below him, on the floor, and he has to ask himself why Mingyu isn’t the one decorating the ceiling with his elongated proportions. It would be easier for him plus he wouldn’t even need to stretch his whole arm out like Joshua needed to do.

 

Jihoon is the one to respond from behind the counter. He’s opening and closing the empty cash register in annoyance, waiting on Seokmin to return from the store. “Yeah, parties without alcohol draw people together in a more organic way, plus I’m like a second generation friend to mostly everyone so they’ll feel bad if they don’t come to my party.” There’s confidence in his voice and in his plan (that he was taking credit for, but Jeonghan had been the original mastermind). Mingyu rolls his eyes, handing another streamer to Joshua who produces an annoyed sound, shaking the streamer at Mingyu.

 

“Why can’t they come in like… a big row instead of individually?” He asks, but doesn’t seek an answer. “How hard is it to produce them that way? Why are we so hated that no one has yet to introduce that way of making these things?” Even while he’s complaining, he accepts more from Mingyu, taping them up to the ceiling.

 

Jeonghan, successfully not lifting a hand, chuckles. “We could’ve went with the balloons.”

 

“Don’t like balloons,” replies Jihoon immediately. “Definitely don’t want to pop them and clean them up.”

 

Mingyu rolls his eyes again. “We would’ve helped with clean-up, plus this is a surprise party, so you aren’t supposed to know that this is even happening right now.” He informs Jihoon for not the first time that morning. Seungcheol enters from the kitchen, haphazardly carrying a platter of breakfast foods. He sets it down in front of Jeonghan and takes a seat next to him. “Did you make coffee?” Mingyu asks, looking around Joshua.

 

A nod. “Yeah, coffee’s fresh,” Jihoon replies, going over to pour some into a mug, then heads over to the food that Seunghceol has just presented to them.

 

Joshua reacts too quickly and Mingyu has to catch him by the waist before he topples off the chair he’s standing on. He’s pointing at the food. “You three aren’t doing anything, if you eat all of that, I will come down from here and…” He stops, seemingly not having any threat to present to them. Mingyu raises an eyebrow up at him, releasing him.

 

“Kick our asses?” Jihoon raises an eyebrow towards him as well. “Too late, we all have to be subjugated to this party this afternoon.”

 

“It isn’t that bad,” says Mingyu, but no one seems to agree with them as they continue the actions they were partaking in before Joshua had interrupted them. “If you want to quit, we can switch,” he pats the small of Joshua’s back. Immediately, he jumps off the chair and gestures for Mingyu to take over where he left off. Jeonghan catches the exchange and laughs freely, tipping his head back. Seungcheol brushes some of his hair behind his ear while he’s laughing and Jihoon feigns retching.

 

Jeonghan leans across the table, pointing at Jihoon slowly. “You don’t even realize you act like this with Seokmin sometimes, do you?” He asks, expression stoney and unforgiving. Jihoon furrows his brow. When his face falls into a pout, he doesn’t even realize that he’s pulling such a cutesy expression.

 

“Speaking of Seokmin,” he mutters, focusing on the table’s surface while Mingyu climbs up onto the chair (as though he needed to be any taller) to take over Joshua’s job. Joshua grabs a handful of streamers, carefully separating them as he passes them along to Mingyu in what he hopes is a steady rhythm. They’ve almost successfully have decorated nearly half of what they sought out to decorate originally, so Mingyu thought they were making good time, all things considered. Small talk erupts throughout the dining area as everyone pretends to be busy (while Joshua and Mingyu are actually busy, still working on the streamers wordlessly).

 

Seokmin enters after what seems like an eternity to Jihoon with his hands full of bags. “I bought some more decorations in case we didn’t have enough!” He exclaims, trying to evaluate the scene from behind the bags piled in his hands. “Plus everything that was on Jeonghan’s list.”

 

Jeonghan nods appreciatively, leaving his seat in order to take some of the bags from Seokmin. Jihoon seems to trail behind him after considering it for a minute, but to everyone’s surprise, Seungkwan emerges from outside the building with his arms full of bags. “Seungkwan…!” Jihoon says when he gets up, looking more excited to see Seungkwan than he is for his own party. There’s a look in Seungkwan’s face that Joshua picks up on, but he cannot name. It looks forlorn: lost. Joshua wishes that he knew him better so that he could offer him any form of comfort since clearly there was a deficit somewhere, causing him to see out of place in the brightly decorated building. Jihoon takes some of Seungkwan’s bags and as a group they set the bags down at a nearby table.

 

“If you brought more streamers, Joshua’s going to cry,” Mingyu informs Seokmin.

 

He smiles, pulling out a zipped bag from his shopping bag slowly so that no one can really see what it is until it’s completely out. With all the suspense, Joshua figures that it can’t be anything other than more streamers. What a comical stunt to pull.

 

It’s balloons.

 

“I told you no balloons!” Jihoon grumply hits his arm, groaning.

 

Seokmin smiles at him like he’s given him everything he could ever have wanted. “That’s why I got them.” A laugh; Jihoon softens imperceptibly. Joshua has to look away from the exchange, feeling heat creeping onto his face from either embarrassment or some other unknown feeling. Mingyu tries to pretend like he doesn’t notice the way that Joshua wistfully stares at Jihoon and Seokmin. There’s something in the air that isn’t tangible. It feels covetous the way that Seungkwan nibbles on a room temperature piece of toast unable to look away from Seungcheol and Jeonghan, and the way that Joshua doesn’t even realize that he’s curling his fingers around Mingyu’s as his hands are streamer-less; he’s watching Jihoon and Seokmin still.

 

Everyone wants a little bit more of what they already lack.

 

--

 

“A surprise party for Jihoon,” Hansol doesn’t seem to buy it. Minghao’s propped up on his counter, sitting there mannerlessly as though it’s his own home. He shrugs, placing another chip in his mouth. “That’s the last thing that Jihoon wants on his 23rd birthday.” Minghao shrugs again as if it punctuates the fact that he doesn’t know why they are throwing him a surprise birthday party, except for maybe Seokmin planned it. He throws a chip at Hansol. It bounces off the back of his head, but he doesn’t feel it. Neither of them say anything for awhile as Minghao continues to eat straight from the bag (which if it were Mingyu, then he would have had to pour them out, but he’s free as a bird at Hansol’s house).

 

“Hey,” he says around a mouthful of chips. Hansol looks at him, horrified.

 

“Where are your manners? Does Mingyu leave you alone and you suddenly forget how to eat?” Hansol shakes his head, trying to hold in his laughter. Minghao narrows his eyes, thinks about shrugging again, doesn’t end up actually shrugging again. His shoulders are going to start to hurt if that’s all he’s doing in Hansol’s presence. Instead, he opts for rolling his eyes. “Anyway, what?”

 

Oh! Minghao purses his lips. “...Uh, I forgot… what I was going to say…”

 

Even if he had, the sound of the front door catches their attention. They listen to it as it is unlocked, opened, then closed. There’s some shuffling and from their position they see Wonwoo, eyes covered by a hyperactive Soonyoung. Minghao smiles, shaking his head as Hansol turns to him, voice quieting. “He bought another ing plant for him.” Both of them soak in the reality of that phrase, then fall into peals of laughter. Minghao clutches his stomach, chips forgotten as he stumbles from atop the counter. “You should see the living room… It’s… ing packed with plants. There are a couple on the couch now. I knew he was a botanist, but I never signed up for this.” It’s in good cheer, Minghao picks up on it fast by how the corner of Hansol’s eyes crinkle. He’s too softhearted to tell Soonyoung to stop purchasing ‘rare’ plants for Wonwoo’s collection when he knows why he’s doing it. It’s a thing that he understands too well.

 

It’s why he has been baking for the party all morning even though he’s terrible at baking.

 

“Jihoon’ll appreciate the hard work you have went through for Seungkwan,” Minghao says, brushing crumbs off his lap, “...but he’ll probably appreciate you more if you stop burning it.”

 

A curse flies from Hansol as he dives towards the oven, hoping to save his fourth attempt.

 

Minghao leaves the room before he is asked to assess the damage. Hansol’s question of do you think he’ll notice and do you think Mingyu could rescue it are to be remained unanswered as he slips into the living room, watching in mock interest as Wonwoo and Soonyoung talk. Both of them notice his entrance and greet him joyfully. Minghao smiles at them, nodding. Honestly, he’s shocked that life had been so good for everyone. One day, it picked up and spun them until they all landed here on this day and it seemed like Minghao was the only person suffering from dizziness. No matter where he finds himself, he feels like he’s third-wheeling, especially here with Soonyoung who he’s known for years, who he has pressed kisses against time and time again, who is talking about plants with Wonwoo as though he had any prior interest in them.

 

“What else are you studying?” Minghao crosses his arms, interrupting their conversation. “I saw you around the building next door to me the other day, or do you just have a weird schedule?”

 

Wonwoo looks shocked by the question that is posed to him, but he answers swiftly. “Literature, actually. I have the time to finish both majors, so I thought I would go for it.” Minghao nods in understanding, then leaves the room already feeling exhausted by the conversation at hand. As he’s leaving, he hears Soonyoung chattering excitedly about how Minghao has three majors. He thinks about returning to Hansol, but since he’s done his job in convincing Hansol to go, he doesn’t have a reason to be there (aside from the fact that Hansol is one of his best friends next to Mingyu, but he erases that fact). Without saying goodbye to anyone, he throws on his coat and leaves, bracing himself for the cold gust of air that will undeniably assail him from all sides.

 

--

 

Chan arrives just as Seungheol is leaving to pick up the cake (specially designed and ordered by Mingyu who was upset that he couldn’t make it because of that one icing incident). Thankfully, he’s gotten his hands on a helium tank. Everyone is so thankful that Seokmin almost bounds to him and presses a kiss from his swollen lips straight against Chan’s lips. He has to withhold laughter at the sight in front of him as Jeonghan, Seokmin, and Mingyu are all expelling their breath into dozens of balloons that litter the floor. The helium will make them float which makes Joshua who is trying to decorate the tables happier since he will be able to stop kicking balloons out of his way (or having them thrown at him by Jeonghan).

 

“How long…” Chan starts to ask, but is interrupted by Joshua.

 

“Too long, Chan… Too long… I’m just glad that Jeonghan had the brilliant idea of asking if anyone could find a helium tank.” He sighs, plopping down in a seat at the table he’s currently decorating. “I’m surprised you could get one this last minute without purchasing it.”

 

He shrugs, passing the tank to Jeonghan. “I teach a dance class on Sunday mornings for little kids and we like to have balloons and snacks when there’s a birthday. It was pretty easy to get it, really. I just have to take it back as soon as we are done with it because they need it back by tomorrow.” While he’s talking, Jeonghan’s filling up a balloon with newfound energy. Seokmin gets the tank next while Jeonghan focuses on tying the balloons, passing them to Mingyu so that he can attach the strings. “Do you want me to help you guys?” He asks, looking around.

 

“You can help me,” Joshua says, sliding along several chairs before he’s back on his feet. “I still have all of these tables left, then… uh, if there’s more decorations in the bags, then I’m going to try to figure out what to do with all of them.” Chan nods, then heads over to a table where Joshua already has all the decorations set out atop it. All he has to do is actually put the decorations up rather than just leave them scattered upon the table top.

 

“Or you could help Seungkwan in the back with food prep…!” Comes a high pitched voice. Chan and Joshua both immediately turn around to find Seokmin with a wide grin on his face. Jeonghan and Mingyu are on either sides of him, trying to hide their own smiles meanwhile Jihoon emerges from the back solely to give Seokmin a light slap to the back of the head. Laughter erupts throughout the diner. It’s happy and warmth out here in the seating area. Not much can be said for the food prep area, but it’s definitely not lonely here. It helps Seungkwan forget about the reality that he’s going to have to face later tonight.

 

Jeonghan stands up, wiping moisture from the corner of his eyes. “I’m going to call Junhui now.”

 

“You’re calling Junhui?” Chan’s expression brightens from his tight focus on decorating to a type of glee. “Do you think he’ll be able to come?” It’s cutting it close with six hours until the party, but his plane ticket had already been taken care of by Jeonghan and Seungcheol. When Mingyu had offered to pay for it, they said that it was the least they could do, especially when Minghao and Mingyu had already done so much for Joshua. The real effort was going to be put into convincing Junhui that he should abandon whatever plans that he had just so that Minghao could see him for a couple hours. Jeonghan had stepped up to bat, but only because he insisted that he would be ultimately successful.

 

--

 

Junhui has no idea why Mingyu is calling him in the middle of his class. His first thought is that something has happened to Minghao which causes him to lunge for his phone that is resting just in his backpack; he can see the screen, but he cannot pick it up without causing a scene. Minghao had been texting him that morning, but accidents happened out of nowhere. Junhui wouldn’t be able to stop anything from happening if, say, he were in Hong Kong and Minghao happened to be miles away at his own college. He taps his pen against his lips before finally giving in and gathering his things. With fifteen minutes til the end of class, he chances it. If Minghao’s safe, then that’s all and good, but without answering, he’ll never know.

 

How was he supposed to prepare himself for the voice on the line?

 

It wasn’t Mingyu. The voice was too soft, too unlike Mingyu. “Hello?” It says, unsure, then more confidently introduces itself. “This is Jeonghan, Joshua and Mingyu’s friend. This is Junhui, right?” He’s absolutely dumbstruck. Did something happen to Mingyu, Joshua, and Minghao?

 

All of his questions are shortly answered, but other complications arise.

 

--

 

Minghao doesn’t show up to the party.

 

Hansol comes in, totling some lidded dish, but without Minghao (who had been in charge of making sure that Hansol arrived). When Chan comes back after having left to shower and drop off the helium tank, he does not have Minghao either. Wonwoo and Soonyoung come in together and when they are asked about Minghao, they both comment that they haven’t seen him all afternoon (that morning had been the only time). Jihoon’s other friends come, staggered between the aforementioned arrivals. Junhui comes in a little late, looking windswept. His eyes are wild as they traverse the crowds of people who all are holding onto glasses, trying to look busy and interested in conversation. He finds Mingyu.

 

“Where’s Minghao?” Junhui should be the one asking, but it’s Mingyu with a cup of soda in his hand, trying to listen to Hansol’s reasoning as to why he made something for Seungkwan when it was Jihoon’s birthday.

 

Junhui looks bewilderedly back at him. The music isn’t loud enough to drown out his voice when he leans closer to Mingyu. “Well, he wasn’t in Hong Kong.” There’s a bite to his voice and Mingyu is immediately turning away from Hansol to give his full attention to Junhui with hands raised (somewhat) in pacification.

 

“I thought Jeonghan might’ve asked you to swing by the dorms to check on him. None of us can get ahold of him.” He says, softening, realizing the gravity of the situation at hand. If it wasn’t for Mingyu wanting to keep this whole thing under wraps, then Minghao would have known to expect Junhui and he would have come. Mingyu can only imagine what Minghao’s life has become as he’s had to cart around with pairs of soulmates. Mingyu can hardly recall the last time he’s hung out with Minghao without Joshua around. It makes him feel bad about his recent treatment of his friend. Before he had met his soulmate, there was so much of his life that was dedicated to just spending time with Minghao, but now… “I can head there now with you?” He offers, but Junhui shakes his head, pushing through the crowd of people until he reaches the door.

 

Jeonghan stops him, leaning close to him to tell him that everything was going to end up alright.

 

Somehow, Junhui believes him and goes back into the busy building. Mingyu watches the interaction before separating from Hansol, making a mental note to tell Seungkwan that he needed to talk to Hansol before the party was over (or before Hansol got his hands on any liquid courage that was bound to be circulated later). He bypasses Wonwoo (who has his glasses perched at the end of his nose as he laughs) and Soonyoung (who is making Wonwoo laugh), then squeezes past Seokmin and some girl that he doesn’t know the name of. Joshua’s back is against the wall as Seungcheol talks to him, arms folded.

 

“Am I interrupting?” Mingyu asks when he is close enough.

 

Both of them shake their heads. “Jeonghan left to find Minghao,” Joshua explains. “Seungcheol was just catching me up on it while I was on my way to find you.” The party hasn’t even gone into full swing yet. Jihoon’s nestled up in a booth, trying to hold too many conversations at once while sporting an incredibly cheesy hat that Seokmin picked up that reads Birthday Boy. Most of the others are broken off into their own separate groups, conversing and trying to have fun in a cramped diner with music that isn’t quite loud enough to drown out everyone’s feelings. Also, there’s a startling lack of alcohol. It’s not all that fun, but there’s a certain quality to it that suits Jihoon and the people that he hangs out with (if only they had a karaoke machine to seal the deal).

 

--

 

“I baked you this,” says Hansol, holding out the covered dish that he’s been coveting all day. “It was the fifth attempt.” He should be bashful to admit that he’s tried so hard to make this all okay, but instead of bashful, he feels happy. It is the first time in a month that he has felt giddy. He wants to pull Seungkwan close to him and reassure him that everything’s alright, that he forgives him, but he knows that both of them will have to go about this slowly. It’s a delicate situation, but Hansol understands now, and Seungkwan does too. He takes the dish and holds it to his chest. There is a wetness on his cheeks that cues him in to the fact that he might actually be crying, but he’s not at all upset. If anything, he’s beyond happy. He feels weightless and his cheeks hurt from grinning so much at Hansol.

 

The look on Hansol’s face turns shy as he moves in close to Seungkwan to wipe away his tears.

 

--

 

Seokmin dances awkwardly, all limbs and no torso or hips. It isn’t that Jihoon is watching or appraising him, but he knows from Soonyoung that Seokmin opposes going to dance practices with their dance group even though he has a dream of being on stage. Jihoon can’t help but to think that it’d be smart to get an early start on learning how to control his body movements.

 

He notices that Jihoon is staring and quirks an eyebrow in his direction.

 

Oh no, Jihoon thinks, and he knows exactly what is going to happen next. He watches it through his eyes, but it is all fast forwarded in his head: Seokmin dancing up next to him with his arms making some odd circular motion, asking him if he’d like to dance, him grunting and saying no, Seokmin tugging on him, him trying not to give in, him forgetting that Seokmin is considerably larger and stronger than him. Before he knows it, he’s on what all the students have deemed as the dance floor portion of the diner. He doesn’t move next to Seokmin, but Seokmin bumps his hip into Jihoon, which knocks him off balance.

 

The grin on Seokmin’s face is irritatingly happy. From the day that he met him, he knew that Seokmin’s smile held sunshine in it. It was as if the boy drank straight from the sun because whenever he smiles, it is so bright that Jihoon has to look away. He knows that he’s not the only person who has ever had this response too. It would take an idiot to look at Seokmin and to think that he wasn’t the most important person in the room. Jihoon wanted to take on the world with him, and with his optimism, Jihoon never wanted to give up. Alongside Seokmin, he doesn’t think that he knows what quitting means. He doesn’t think that he ever could. Seokmin grabs his hand and twirls him. Jihoon groans as he does it, then all of sudden, he’s cracking a smile.

 

Seokmin laughs, so so does he.

 

It’s all perfect when it’s like this, so he dances with Seokmin. Days turns into hours and he’d rather be dancing with Seokmin while the world is burning than acting too good to have a little bit of fun. Hansol knocks hips with Seokmin who transfers it to Jihoon and so Jihoon bumps hips with Seungkwan. It’s too good of a night to waste it on sitting in the corner and wishing that someone (Mingyu, Hansol, anyone) spiked the drinks. He was turning another year older and he wanted to spend this time with his friends, even if it was silly or stupid and he’d regret it once photos were posted on social media tomorrow.

 

He takes Seokmin’s hands.

 

--

 

It’s been a month since Minghao has seen Junhui. A couple days since he’s heard his voice.

 

He doesn’t think his legs have ever carried him so quickly in all of his life. The ride with Jeonghan had been boring, if not a little invasive. He had confided in the other that he wasn’t dying, that the world wasn’t ending, and that he wasn’t sad (which he was, he was utterly collapsing underneath the weight of his sadness, but a stranger didn’t have to know that). At a stop light, Jeonghan had pulled out his phone and sent a quick message which clued Minghao in to the secret that everyone seemed to be keeping from him. At first, he thought that maybe Jeonghan was telling Joshua or Mingyu that he managed to get him into the car, but he could have said that before they had entered the car. He realizes it and grapples at the door handle while the car is still in motion.

 

When his feet hit the pavement, he doesn’t stop running. Jeonghan yells after him, but he doesn’t understand it. The wind snatches his words away. All he can hear is the steady thump of the music from the diner and the unsteady thump of his heart that has sprung up into his throat. If he’s wrong, then the disappointment will swallow him whole, but he’s smarter than all of this. All of this scheming is unfair to him. He was going to show up to the party towards its downswing so he wouldn’t have to deal with all the people, but now he cannot get to the building fast enough.

 

He arrives onto the sidewalk just as Junhui is exited the building. He doesn’t even have a chance to look up before Minghao is throwing himself at him. His legs wrap around his waist as Junhui stumbles back into the door, almost swinging it open with the impact. His arms circle around Minghao’s torso before he can even realize what is happening. Both of his hands on either side of his face, Minghao leans down and kisses Junhui. It’s enough to leave them both breathless, but not enough for either of them. There’s a month between them, thirty-one odd days of distance. Junhui tries to say something, but Minghao’s there again, pressing his mouth against Junhui’s desperately. There’s something deep within him that is eating him alive. It’s a rough emotion that he doesn’t understand yet. It’s sluggish and deep and hot. It has him Junhui’s dumb jacket in his hands. It has him saying stupid things like, “I never want to be away from you for this long again.”

 

Junhui doesn’t know how to respond. His mouth hangs agape as he tries to think of a response.

 

Minghao doesn’t need one. “I’ve missed you,” Junhui says, kissing him and setting him down in front of him. Jeonghan approaches them, keys jangling in his hand. “Thank you,” he says to Jeonghan who only nods. They are all appreciative in this moment. Minghao pulls Jeonghan into a hug that he shares with Junhui too, just out of pure happiness. Jeonghan laughs.

 

--

 

“You are a horrible dancer!” Hansol chuckles, pulling Seungkwan closer until they are pressed up against each other, swaying awfully offbeat to the cheesy love ballad playing. Other couples are dancing similarly, but they are only paying attention to each other. That’s all that is important to them (and Jihoon, but Jihoon’s stepping on Seokmin’s feet right now).

 

Seungkwan laughs, tipping his head back. When he looks back at Hansol, his gaze is soft and pliable. Hansol leans in to press a kiss to the tip of his nose and Seungkwan’s stomach does a somersault.

 

--

 

“I love you,” Minghao says against Junhui’s neck.

 

Junhui’s breath hitches. His chest feels tight. “I love you, too.”

 

--

 

Joshua’s laughing, face distorting from perfect into silly. When he’s relaxed and calm, he looks like he’s made of marble. His expressions are always timed and perfect, but when Mingyu makes him laugh, all of it changes. He no longer is the perfect gentleman and instead he’s this normal person that is attainable. He’s Mingyu’s soulmate. Mingyu leans in to kiss him while he’s laughing and Joshua giggles into the kiss.

 

They aren’t dancing so much as leaning onto each other.

 

Joshua spills juice all over a table that he’s spent too long decorating. Chan tries to tempt them into dancing with Soonyoung and him, but they decline respectfully and opt to watch their professional movements from the wall. They are easily forgotten though as Mingyu presses a hand somewhere above Joshua’s shoulder and leans in. Everything is easily forgettable when they are together like this. Joshua leans up to kiss him, then pulls away just as quickly, covering his mouth with his hand. “You taste like grapefruit,” he says from behind his hand.

 

Mingyu smiles at him. “I hope you like grapefruit then.”

 

Joshua smiles back. “Luckily for you, I love grapefruit.”

 

--

 

Seungcheol pulls Jeonghan into the kitchen as soon as he sees him, pressing a kiss against his hair. They fall into silence as they sway to the same love ballad, but from within the kitchen, they belong to their own world. It’s better in this bubble because there’s nothing bad that could ever touch them even if it tried. Jeonghan’s foot is stepped on. Seungcheol apologizes profusely and curses when he does it again.

 

“Just promise you’ll kiss it better,” Jeonghan says. It makes him blush.

 

--

 

Soonyoung finds out that it is hard to get Wonwoo to dance with him, but Wonwoo will watch him. He his lips as he tries to impress his new friend (his soulmate). With heavy eyes, Wonwoo watches him closely from the wall. Soonyoung beams at him all the while he dances with Chan who cannot stop laughing at how silly their spontaneous dance is turning out to be.

 

After the dance, Soonyoung heads over to Wonwoo and twines his fingers with his. Wonwoo pretends like he doesn’t notice just so he can have an excuse to revel in the lingering touch.

 

--

 

The party ends with all respective parties heading their own way. Jihoon, Joshua, Mingyu, Seokmin, and Chan all stay behind to clean up. Seungcheol and Jeonghan had been dismissed after they both had fallen asleep in the kitchen. Soonyoung offers to help clean, but Wonwoo needs a ride home and Hansol and Seungkwan had left early. Wonwoo stands there awkwardly, pushes his glasses up, but doesn’t read the situation right, so he doesn’t end up asking to help. Minghao and Junhui head back to Minghao’s dorm with the promise that Junhui will be going back to Hong Kong in the morning. It’s not the best arrangment, but until they can figure something out, it is all that they have. They covet the night.

 

--

 

Then they covet the morning. Light streams in and Mingyu had decided to give them privacy by staying the night over at Hansol’s place. It’s lazy, but Junhui knows that he has to go back home. He presses a kiss to the top of Minghao’s head, who feigns sleep in the hopes that Junhui won’t leave. They don’t move for awhile and Minghao drifts back to sleep.

 

That’s when he hears her, faint, but it’s her.

 

He wakes up to an empty bed, and for the first time in awhile, he cries.