Chapter Three

Cheap Thrills
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My Mom is 36 years old. She had me when she was 19. Barely out of high school, she hadn't even started college.  My mother's parents had tried to get her to abort and when she refused to agree, they placed before her a choice.

College or the baby (me). 

My Mom went and married my father and worked a few part time jobs but that was no where enough for her tuition. She hadn't applied for scholarships and after I was born, she never got any time for herself. 

All this history is here for a reason, don't worry. Back to Cafe Byun.

 

"Byun Baek Hyun!" 

It was my Mom, standing a few feet from our table. And she looks absolutely livid. Everyone at the table stopped eating and looked nervously at me and then my mother.

"Mom, where were you?" I asked as I got up. Come on, brain! Think up some excuses. Jong Dae's birthday. Yeah. Phone died. Okay.

"Where was I? Where were YOU?" she screeched. Really. It was ing scary. 

"Jong-"

"Why didn't you come straight home?" She hissed. "School got over forty minutes ago." 

"I was just-"

"Didn't I tell you I'd make lunch. I have been waiting at home for the past hour, like a fool, wasting my time for a son who doesn't even care-"

"Eomma, let's talk at home."

"-about his education. Do you realise how much I do for you so that you don't face any problems as far as your studies are concerned?"

"Eomma! It was Jong Dae's birthday. Besides I was going to leave in five minutes."

She glanced at the people at the table, all of whom visibly flinched.

Jong Dae raised his hand nervously and waved, "Yeah, Mrs. Byun, we forced him to come along. It's not his fault."

She remained silent for ten whole seconds. Someone kill me. Please.

"Baekhyun, get out." 

"Eh?"

"I said out. Go home. I'll call the guard in ten minutes and ask if he saw you enter." 

Well, no point arguing now. 

I grabbed my bag and smiled awkwardly at the rest of the guys. D.O had the whole guilty look on his face so I patted his back on the way out. 

This is what the back story was for. My Mom was really touchy about the entire 'education' thing. It was borderline cray-cray. I mean I saw where she was coming from but I got above 95 in all of my subjects. Couldn't I hang out after school? How could one hour hurt?

And let's just say it did, why did she have to throw me out so dramatically? Couldn't she just have called me aside and go, "Baekhyun-ah, go do this thing for me" and then tell me off when we were home and there was no one watching. 

Aishh.

When I got back to the apartment, I walked up to the security guard and said, "If my Eomma calls you, tell her you saw me." 

"Why would she-"

Shinee's ring ding dong. Yeah that was his ringtone. Cool. 

"Hello?" He eyed me warily. "Yes, ma'am, just a minute ago. Yeah, sure." 

I headed to the elevator and pressed the button for it to come down when I heard hurried footsteps approaching me. 

I turned around. It was Park Chanyeol. Yay.

"Damn. Don't you walk fast." He muttered as the doors pinged open. We walked in and I pressed the buttons for both of us. "And don't your ears work? I was screaming at you to stop." 

"Really?" I said, confused as to why he was even talking to me. "Sorry, I was thinking about.. stuff." 

"Oh I saw that stuff," he snorted. "Quite a scene."

"You were there?! I didn't see you." 

"I was outside. With Sandara."

"Who?" 

"My gir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter