the long and the short and well, us.

Even If The Rain Falls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

the long and the short and well, us.
(the 98ers feat. light Eunwoo/Jieqiong)

1.

It is the 15th of December and her stomach rumbles and Jieqiong kind of regrets not sneaking the snacks from the plane into her pockets. Sure, the meetings had somehow managed to end early so they had gotten some food but this would be about the time when she would be nibbling on something or other in the dorm, whether that be the sweets Sungyeon keeps stashed away, or the snacks that Yaebin guards ferociously but shares easily.

She debates not moving, wiggles a finger as she stares up at the hotel room ceiling from where she is lying on the bed. She is not yet in pajamas so she will have to get up eventually. Eventually, she thinks. Not now. Now she can just-

Her stomach rumbles again.

Jieqiong sits up with a huff and shuffles toward the minibar. Surely they would forgive her? Or perhaps she could go downstairs to the convenience store across the street. Or text Xiao and beg her for food. Something. She doubts Xiao would have food. They are idols, after all.

She accidentally kicks her luggage on the floor, pouts though there is no one to see and pat her on the head. The contents shift a little, exposing a corner of something silver. Hm. Jieqiong prods at it with a manicured finger.

It gives way a little.

Hm.

She scoops the socks aside and cannot decide if she is going to strangle or hug Kang Yaebin the next time she sees her. Or whoever snuck this into her luggage, since it might not actually have been Kang Yaebin. She should be kinder to their shortest member but it really was most likely Kang Yaebin since they had discussed curry at lunch and Jieqiong had very clearly said that she was very much done with 3 minute curry.

The pack of 3 minute curry stares innocently back at her.

Jieqiong supposes that Yaebin was at least thoughtful enough to make sure that a pack of instant rice was also snuck in.

Well, good thing she had not yet changed into pajamas.

---

Jieqiong does a little shuffle while waiting for the microwave to be done. Or well, while waiting for her food to be done before any of the managers of any of the artists find her. She knows her manager is on a different floor but is not sure that Xiao’s will not tell on her. Technically she is not on a diet, so food is sort of fair game.

(Yes, it is likely that she will be a little rounder tomorrow because of how late it is, but the actual press conference is not till the 17th so there is still time.)

Ding goes the microwave and rumble rumble goes the ice machine and Jieqiong tries not to jump at the sounds. She would open up the pack here and pour the curry onto the rice so it is easier to dispose of the evidence but then the smell might linger so she just stacks them and takes an extremely uneasy elevator ride back to her floor.

It has been such a long time since she has snuck out like this and actually done something she probably should not do by herself. Usually Siyeon comes with her, or Nunu joins in or she somehow persuades Yewon that it’s not a terrible idea and the bunch of them end up doing silly things. She almost misses her partners in crime though they’ve literally been apart for less than twenty four hours.

No stirring from the manager's room - she doesn't quite blame them, they know that her best (worst) plans involve multiple people and just her alone in China isn't quite enough. (Again, yes, Xiao is here but she is probably asleep. Jieqiong would be if she were her.)

She tears the packet open, pours the curry over the rice, watches the liquid seep between the grains, sees the potato chunks tumble down to the edge of the plastic tray, bites back a sigh. Smells trigger memories and the one this one triggers is not Jieqiong’s fondest, not right now.

She finds a spoon wrapped in a piece of scrap paper.

Yo, Happy Birthday Kyulkyung-ie.

You really shouldn’t be eating in your hotel room at night but you always get hungry so tada. I’m awesome, right?

She snorts. Thoughtful annoying Kang Yaebin.

Wasn’t sure if there’s a microwave in your room but Nayoung-unnie says there are always microwaves in hotels so you’ll just have to make it work somehow. You’re a smart kid even though you’re really dumb sometimes so you’ll figure it out. (p.s. Just call the lobby. I know you knew that, but just in case you’ve decided to not use your brain)

Anyway, it’s a pity we can’t spend your birthday together (Nayoung-unnie made me write this part since she’s the one that bought the rice which I didn’t think about so I owe her one) but eat this and think of us, ok? We’ll be thinking of you. Or something. I’ll probably be sleeping.

But yes.

Don’t freeze.

Don’t die.

Come back in one piece.

Don’t replace Eunwoo with Cheng Xiao or she’ll be sad.

Happy birthday, .

Cheers,
Your other favorite 98-liner, Yaebin

p.s. Or just don’t tell her.

Jieqiong snorts.

The curry is delicious.

2.

“I’ve been replaced,” Eunwoo mumbles into her cereal.

Yaebin raises an eyebrow.

“By?”

“By a cat. And Cheng Xiao.”

“Oh,” Yaebin digs a spoon into Xiyeon’s tumbler and scoops out another spoonful of green semi-solid substance, “you’re talking about the least

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter