CH 4: THIS KWON SITUATION

Fake Enough To Be Real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER 4: THIS KWON SITUATION

[ Point of View of Park Sandara ]

            “Chearin-ah”, my lips quivered as we watched Bom enter the recording booth and position herself in front of the microphone to sing the final line to complete our last song as 2NE1. The expression on my face as I looked up at Chaerin perfectly showed the mix of emotions swirling in me these past months.

           Nothing seemed to go right recently. I thought that the break-up with Donghae was the worst that could happen, but it turns out the world had other plans. A month after preview of DOLCE VITA was launched, our boss had contacted me for a meeting with the other girls of 2NE1. For two months we have been discussing the fate of 2NE1, taking into consideration both the pros and cons. It was exhausting to sit in a room discussing the issues that we had and the direction that we were going to take. Every night I would come home either extremely sad; to the point where I can only bury myself deep in my bed and cry it all out. At the end, it was decided. The choice that the girls tried so hard to fight against was chosen.  The YG representatives wanted the disbandment of 2NE1 and there was nothing else we could do. My heart exploded when they released the final statement, fearing the disappointment and sadness our blackjacks would feel. All my life as the fresh vocalist of 2NE1 was dedicated to ensuring that our supporters were always happy and proud of us and yet here we are, doing the thing that would break our fans hearts the most.

           But we didn’t want and could never just leave blackjacks without thanking them for going through us the whole ride. They have changed our lives by loving us and supporting us. Recording a final song for them would be the least we could do.

           “Dara” I heard our leader say under a soft sigh, wrapping her arms around me and pulling me into a tight embrace. Despite her age, she always been the person that kept us strong during tough times like these. It wasn’t a surprise that she didn’t shed a tear during our final meeting with YG as 2NE1. Many may find this cold but she knows her members well. She knows that Bom and I would be even weaker if we saw her cry. But when we went back to the apartment we shared together, I heard her sobbing silently as soon as she entered her room after greeting me good night.

           The voice of Bom filled the room; the heartbreak and sadness that each member experienced felt in each perfectly sung note. We didn’t need any words to explain the thoughts in our minds or what we felt because each of us already knew. Each of us felt the same way.

           I felt my phone vibrate in my hand but I immediately chose to ignore it. If I were right, it was probably Donghae again. Yes, he has finally texted me. During my car ride to the building this morning, I received multiple text messages from him. He informed me that he missed me. And after reading the statement of YG about our disbandment, he couldn’t bear not texting me any longer. Donghae repeatedly stated that he was incredibly concerned about me. After, he offered that we meet-up because he knew I would want to talk about it or express my feelings to someone I could trust. This suggestion from him earned a sarcastic silent chuckle from me. Trust the person who broke my heart so easily? Donghae was funnier than I thought. And although I would have excitedly replied to him in an instant, his existence didn’t seem to matter so much at the moment. In fact, it irritated me that he kept messaging me despite me not replying to any of his texts. Right now, I just wanted to be in the company of Chaerin and Bom. It was important that we helped each other get through this trial together as sisters and nothing else.

           “Dara, someone is calling you” Chaerin said as she pulled away her body from mine, releasing me from her embrace. Her eyes looked at the screen on my phone and raised an eyebrow at me, “Why is Kwon Jiyong calling you?”

           My head tilted down to see his name flashing in big letters. Even I myself was shocked at this, he doesn’t usually initiate conversations with me but there was no other choice but to take it. I excused myself from the room and immediately stepped out to take his call in the hall way. My finger pressed the accept button and immediately placed the gadget against my ear.

           “Jiyong? Is there anything wrong? Why’d you call?”, the tone of my voice showed concern and worry. I mean, he would usually just text me when I message him. Calls were usually reserved for important matters, occasionally when I am late as well.

           “Why weren’t you responding to my messages? I think I texted you five consecutive times asking how you are.” You can sense the irritation in his voice, like it genuinely did bother him that I didn’t reply to him.

           “Oh.” I said softly, a small smile formed on my lips. I was clearly amused and touched by his gesture. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were the one who was texting me. You usually, erm, don’t text me first.”

           I heard him sigh against his phone, the sound of his footsteps on tiles were heard as well. “I usually don’t have to text first to talk to you. You text me first. But today, I didn’t get any from you and it got me worried.”

           “The thing is, we’re currently recording our final song today and I just thought that it would be better if I didn’t to respond to any text. I think I would be just too emotional to respond properly.”

           “That’s the other thing. YG told me you were recording with the girls this morning. I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I’m currently checking up on the shop, do you want to get some ramen after you’re done there? We could invite the Chaerin and noona as well.” He invited me to grab my favorite comfort food to uplift my spirits. My smile couldn’t help but grow bigger at his offer. Although it did sound like a good idea, I had to reject the offer this one time.

           “Ah, sounds inviting. But I think the girls and I are going to get some food after. We just want to be in eachother’s company right now, you know?” I said softly against my phone, hoping he would understand.

           “That’s good. You girls need exactly that right now.” I smiled at his reply, “Just…just check your phone and reply to my messages, okay? And don’t get drunk. Message me if you need a ride home.”

           “You have nothing to worry about. Chaerin will probably stop us before something serious happens. You know our leader.” I laugh softly, slightly sad at the thought that she wouldn’t be our leader anymore in a few days.

           “Yeah. Do your best today and have fun later, okay?”

           “Mhm. Thank you, Jiyong.” I was about to put down the phone but the messages from Donghae suddenly came in mind. He had the right to know since he did help make it happen. “Ah, Jiyong? Donghae was texting me this morning.”

            “Oh”, there were a few seconds of silence before he continued, “Did you reply?”

            “Nah, I don’t think this is the right time for that. I might tomorrow.” My back leaned on the wall of the hallway, my free hand buried deep in the pocket of my jacket.

            “What did he say?” A pout formed on my lips. Was it wrong for me to expect him to be happier for me? This just confirms his theory and proves that I was completely idiotic for not trusting in his skills. But this is Jiyong we’re talking about after all. Our deal and my love life are probably not some of the things that he thinks or cares about.

           “He has been thinking about me for a while now. But when he heard about the news, it made him even more concerned about me.” I tried recalling the other content of his messages, “Oh, he wanted to meet-up as well. Maybe he wants to get back together? Our deal will be complete and you don’t have to think about it any longer. Isn’t that great?” His chuckle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter