Segment 2 | How to Write: Descriptions

Beta Reader: Writing Tips
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A lot of words ahead, please proceed if you would like to read my personal opinion on how I usually write descriptions.

I'm sure many writers know that the first thing that readers are drawn to is the description, rather than the title. From the description, readers take about 5 seconds to decide whether they want to give your story a try or not. Naturally, I find descriptions more important than anything else.

+ Descriptions are meant only for you to describe your story. You either describe your story, or leave it empty. Do not write anything else there. If you have an issue you want to address / trigger warnings you want to state / an introduction you want to write - do it in the foreword. I personally dislike it when writers address their readers in the description because that's not what I want to see when I'm deciding if I should read a story or not. You should first get your description out before addressing readers on other matters. The space given for your description is precious, please treat it like a baby and don't take it for granted.

 

1. Avoid long descriptions.

Although it is good that you want your readers to get a gist of what they are in for, long descriptions usually allow for more mistakes. More times often than not, writers reveal the whole story plot in long descriptions and that's an absolute NO-NO. Keep it short and simple, get a beta reader to correct your mistakes and take it seriously. Don't half- the description because that's honestly the real key to getting more readers. 

 

2. Avoid asking questions about the story to the readers

Things like "Will ___ and ___ finally meet and be together? Will they have a happy ending?" are what I avoid. Once again, this is my own opinion and it may not apply to everyone. I find them cheesy and I usually cringe when I see them in the descriptions. This may be a small matter but I actually do feel repelled when I see this in narratives (3rd person) or stories in 1st person perspective. However, I do need to emphaszie that not all questions are bad. 

A good question in the description would be one that does not question the readers about the plot but rather, give readers a small sneak peek of the story itself.

An excellent, witty description: Taken from "You're My Genie, Lamborghini (You're My Teeny Weeny Meenie)" by mindheist on ArchiveOfOurOwn:

You know those people who say technology is driving people apart? Yeah, them.

Fuc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter