Beginning

Ethereal

Right at that moment Jae can not explain why he felt so attached towards the boy whom he just met the night before- actually still not officially- but there was a part of him that kept him wanna stay beside the boy.

That night he asked his mom if he could visit the playground again with the hope of him meeting Brian once again. Although his mom hesitated, he gave him her permission. She layered Jae with sweaters and shirts to keep him warm. Jae asked his mom if he could bring extra sweater with him and Mrs. Park handed him one without further much ado.

“Do you really not want me to come with you?” Mrs. Park asked. Jae shook his head in response, “Brian might get shy again.” He flashed a soft smile to his mom as he held her hand.

“Don’t worry mom, I’ll come home as early as I can. I just wanna meet my friend again. He needs to know. And I’m kinda sad that he’s alone there, confused.” He added. With that, his mom left a soft kiss on his forehead before placing beanie on his head.

“Keep safe, Jae.” She concluded as she fixed her gaze to his son who’s now walking outside the front door.

---

Jae was just few steps away from the playground. He tried to look for Brian, but he was nowhere to be seen. He sat on the swing as he stared on the sweater he was holding in his arms.

He sat there for quite long time, hoping that Brian will come and see him. It was getting colder and colder. The cool wind of December is penetrating through the thick layer of sheets that were supposed to protect his thin frame from cold.

It was when he’s finally about to go ‘cause he could not bear the cold biting him when Brian showed up in front of him. Their gazes met and despite the shaking Jae was feeling he flashed a bright smile to Brian, where the other responded with a slight smile as well.

“You came back.” Brian softly sang. “How long have you been here waiting?” he added.

“It does not matter. Where have you been?” Jae responded, not cutting the gaze he fixed with the other.

“Mhmm. I tried going back home, again.” He said, he looked to his now fiddling hands and sighed. “I failed. I just... I just miss my mom.” He continued.

Jae gave him a pat on his back and smiled once again.

“It’s going to be alright sooner. But you need to listen to me, okay?” Jae mustered up enough courage to tell the boy what he’s really going through.

“What is it?” He looked at Jae intently. His eyes were already glassy and bloodshot, tears were threatening to fall.

“Uh. Why don’t you sit first?” Jae said, pointing the vacant swing next to where he’s sitting. “And have this.” He handed Brian the sweater he intentionally brought for him, “You must be really cold.” Brian wore the clothe and sat next to Jae as he requested. The night is still young and Jae knew it would take some time to finally let Brian understand what’s going on.

“What is it, Jae?” Brian asked again.

“Listen carefully okay.” Jae inhaled enough air to fill in courage.

"You're like ethereal. This isn't you, I mean- uh okay... But you're definitely going back if you help yourself." Jae sang, he felt his heart skipped a beat when he saw how Brian looked like after he spilled the truth.

"You mean i'm dea-" Jae cut Brian off before he could say the last word.

"No. You're spirit perhaps is just lost, wandering off, thinking it's still in your body. I don't exactly know how this is possible but you have to go back to your body sooner. Your mom misses you so much." Jae explained cautiously, trying to find the right words to tell the other in order to not hurt him.

"I'm basically dead." Brian stated, looking down and a subtle sigh escaped between his lips. 

Jae scratched his head, "You're not, you're just sleeping. You just need to be one with your body." 

"You're not afraid of me?" Brian asked, looking straight into Jae's orbs.

"Why would I?" Jae smiled. It calmed Brian's feelings.

"Please stay beside me."

"I will."

There was an awkward silence between them, no one was speaking. There were few stolen glances of each other but both are too afraid to open up a conversation once more.

Jae broke the silence with a simple yet heavy question, “Do you remeber what happened?”

“I actually don’t know.” Brian bluntly replied. Jae smiled as he say it chorusly with Brian in his head. Brian looked at him sharply, his brows were almost meeting.

“Why are you laughing?” Brian asked, in a monotonous tone of voice.

“You’re aware that I’ve been hearing the same answer since last night, aren't you?” Jae said, smiling like ever.

“Oh.” Brian slightly smiled, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. It’s not that it’s not alright but i find it quite cute.” Jae sheepishly laughed, which earned him another sharp gaze from Brian.

“Okay forget that. Anyway, what happened was. You got involved in an accident. At that street, just across this playground.” Jae said pointing the street he was pertaining to.

“You unfortunately got hit by a car manipulated by some drunk bastard while you were running after the soccer ball you and your friends were playing.” Jae continued.

“So I’m dead now.” Brian cut Jae off which earned him a sharp gaze this time from Jae.

“Okay, sorry.” Brian looked down as he payed attention to what Jae is going to say next.

“Right let me finish.”

 Despite how serious the topic was, they both managed to make it as light as though they were talking about some angsty scene in a movie, but perhaps it’s normal at their ages.

“So your body is lying in a hospital bed right now. Sleeping soundly, yeah I visited you earlier. Mom and I did.”

“YOU DID?!” Brian’s small eyes widened upon hearing what Jae have just stated. “But why?” The young boy smiled again, this time wide as ever.

“Because I care for you and I wanna know what happened. I found out already last night, after you left when I brought you to mom, that I was not talking to a physically present being. So mom explained what happened to you and she helped he get to your ward.” Jae explained.

“Oh I see, thank you-.”

“Okay so as what I’ve said, you’re sleeping. Uh they mentioned something like coma- I can’t actually remember but they say you’re just asleep and healing. Mom said your spirit must just have to find it’s way back to your body so you’ll wake up.”

“That’s all that i have to do?” Brian asked, still confused.

“Basically. Maybe. I hope so.” Jae’s uncertain answers made Brian laugh.

“You’re cute.” Brian said.

“What?” Jae turned to look at him.

“You’re cute.” Brian repeated this time putting emphasis on the last word.

“We’re talking about some serious matter here. Don’t bring that up.” Jae said, trying his best to look serious.

“But you said something like that to me earlier.” Brian teased, followed by a sequence of pokes on Jae’s cheek.

“I did?” Jae asked innocently.

“Don’t act like you don’t know.” 

“Fine.” Jae responded trying to look as serious as possible.

“Why did you stay? I’m a complete stranger and now, some sort of a ghost that you actually know.” Brian asked, looking more intently in Jae’s eyes.

“Mhmm. Because I know you’re a good person. It’s not because I pity you, but because you are a friend to me.” Jae answered, without a pause or doubt.

“Thank you.” Brian responded. “I want to still be friends with you once I woke.” He continued.

“Why not. Don’t worry, I’ll help you-” Jae stopped in his trance after an idea flashed in his mind. “heeeeey- Why don’t we go to hospital now? It’s not that far away from here.”

“Are you sure? I mean it’s getting late.” Brian hesitated, but young Jae was more than eager to help his friend.

“What do you mean? It's only 6. Leggo.” Jae insisted to go even though he knows it’s gonna be a long walk.

---

“What do you mean not that far, that was obviously more than far.” Brian complained and whined blocking Jae from his way as soon as they reach the hospital door.

“Did you sweat? No. Are you panting? No. Do your legs and feet sore? No. Are you tired? No. Let’s get going.” Jae responded jokingly as he walked pass Brian, chuckling.

“Point taken.” Brian thought.

It was not a boring walk towards the hospital but definitely not the worry free one ‘cause they know they have to be careful of the possible danger they- or should we say- Jae could meet while they were on their way. However, they tried- or maybe they did not try but it just came out- to make the air as uplifted as ever through filling the atmosphere with laughters and talks. They reached the hospital after about an hour of walk, thank God Jae know exactly where and which path to go, so that they won’t be lost.

It was just a few step away from Brian’s ward. Brian is clearly and obviously anxious and somewhat scared. Jae stared at Brian, he’s frozen in place.

“Hey, are you- okay?” He asked.

“Uh. Yeah. Let’s get inside.” Brian responded, heaving a subtle sigh.