Exceptional

Ethereal

Jae squeezed the cold knob of the door that seperates them from somewhat another dimension that both of them are yet too nervous to go to. Jae heaved a sigh before pushing the door open. He looked at Brian who is now staring at his asleep mom with tired eyes, he could say only by the look of her that she cried all day long again. She was sitting in front Brian’s body, head resting on the free spaces of the bed where Brian was lying on as she held her son’s hands tightly.

He walked straight to his mom and hugged her tightly. Although he’s aware that his mom wouldn’t probably feel his presence at all, still just to feed the starvation and longing for his mom’s hugs and kisses, he hugged her until he’s drown ito his tears.

“Do you really not know how long you have been saying at the playground?” Jae asked, out of the blue, his heart aches at the scene that’s in front him.

Brian shook his head and buried his face into his mom’s back.

“They say you were asleep for 2 months already. That also counts how long you’ve been wandering off. Perhaps because you’re almost as though a free spirit, you don’t have any idea of time.” Jae explains as he approached close to Brian, fingers through the other’s hair to somehow calm him down.

Brian loosened his hug from his mom after a couple of moment. Jae wants to tell how much of a mess he was right now but he needs to conceal the goof inside, he then cleared his throat as he signals Brian to try getting back to his body. Brian still did not know what and how to do it. So he looked at Jae, cofusion evident in his eyes.

“Okay buddy, just… just try lying down and fitting in against or on your body. Maybe…that should work.” Jae said, he was unsure, as well but any help or suggestion would do now for desperate Brian.

Brian was trembling as he stare at his body, but without hesitation he walked towards where his body is. He lied himself down, trying to fit in his own body. He was shaking, head’s turning there and then. At one moment Jae would think the spirit has finally succeeded entering his own body, but the glow won’t fade and Brian’s spirit could still be seen struggling, trying to be one with his body again. Jae concluded Brian couldn’t make it, perhaps it is just not the way to do it.

Brian’s spirit sat up, “I give up.” He sang in a low tone of voice, the glow of hope is almost as though fading.

“There is no such thi-” Jae was cut short off by Brian.

“Your mom… she must be worried. I’ll try it again don’t worry, but you need to go home.” Brian said, smiling at him.

“I texted mom already, she should be here shortly.” Jae smiled.

“By the way, thank you again.” Both are not aware how many times Brian have thanked Jae, but their smiles for each other were enough to show their gratitude and appreciation for having each other.

--

Jae woke up earlier than he does the next day. He rushed down the kitchen to see his mom smiling at him, holding a plate of pancakes in her hands.

“Mom! Mom! We’re gonna visit him right?” Jae excitedly tugged her mother’s shirt while rubbing his eyes using his left hand. He’s completely and impossibly different from the usual groggy look he appears everytime he wakes up.

As soon as Mrs. Park placed the plate firmly on the table, she knelt down and cupped her son’s face to calm him down.

“I’ve never seen you as excited as this before. Yes, we’re gonna visit your friend, but eat your meal first okay? You guys are gonna have a long time.” Mrs. Park dropped hints but Jae barely noticed it out of excitement.

He hurriedly finished his meal, washed himself up and dressed comfortably to keep himself warm frrom the intense cold. He brought his Pokemon collectibles with him just ‘cause he wanted to put it on Brian’s side table. He thought he would be glad to see them once he woke.

--

9AM, Jae found himself tiptoeing inside Brian’s ward. He tiptoed until he reached the table he was darting to. The scent of the flowers and fruits mixed in sync made it’s way to his system and it got him weak, in the sense that he could die just to smell the same scent again. But he remembers he is allergic to pollens so he shrugged the thoughts. He carefully placed the action figures in order above the table, from smallest to biggest and from light colored to darkest one. He smiled to himself, adoring how appealing it was to see the mini exhibit in a small white wood table when a soft hey echoed in his ears. 

He refused to look. Hey hey Jae. The voice repeatedly said. Jae couldn’t think of any possible being that would call him in a soft, sweet yet weak voice. His mom? It was from a guy. Brian’s mom? I told you it was a guy’s voice. Nurses? Doctor? Ah! BRIAN! But- he only appears at night. These were the thoughts that clouded his mind. Jae did not know why it took him too long to turn his head and look at whoever is calling but when he did, a weak smile welcomed him and that’s when happiness or whatever similar emotions enveloped Jae’s system.

He’s finally awake. Jae thought.

He answered the other with a bright smile but before he knew it, he had rushed outside yelling Mrs.Kang to deliver the good news. Good would be an understatement for how Jae thought of it that day.

After a quick check up, after Mrs. Kang broke into tears, after the intense emotions filled with happiness and excitement subsided, Jae approached the younger with a salute.

"If it wasn't for you I am still out there lost." Brian said, he could not hide how elated and grateful he is of the things Jae did for him.

"I thought you wouldn't know once you're awake but you are welcome, buddy." Jae said, he usually speaks a lot whenever he is with him but he went somehow lost for words at that moment.

"I first saw pikachu and then you." Brian spilled. "Thank you again for that though."

Jae laughed and he excitedly showed him his figures, explaining every detail about the pokemons he said he caught as how he treated his figures. 

Their talks having occasionally involved their moms lasted for hours until it's time for Brian to take a rest. 

It probably wasn't that special for others but for everyone inside the room, it was the most special day.