Unexpected

Ethereal

One fine night in the midst of winter, Jae was walking along the streets of Seoul. He was just 11 then and he wanted to go to a store to buy candies. For some odd reason, he wanted to go out for candies. Or for all he know the candies are just an excuse 'cause he just really want to go out, out of again some unknown strange reason. He unexpectedly saw a boy at his age or maybe a little younger than him, as he turned to look at the playground. The boy was shaking, quivering because he's cold. Jae approached the young boy out of curiosity.

"What are you doing here alone? Are you okay?"

Jae did not get a response. The boy did not even make a single movement, he's just sitting there still, head turned down, hands on his knees. Jae being such a curious, asked him again.

"Hey, are you okay? Are you lost? Do you need some help?"

He tapped the boy's shoulder and that's when the boy lifted his head up to meet Jae's gaze. Jae felt uneasy as the boy looked at him strangely. He shook his thoughts off and asked him again,"Are you lost? If you need some help, you may have to tell me what your name is and where you live. And by the way, I'm....."

"Brian Kang." The young boy replied. " I don't know why and I don't understand why I keep ending up here. I'm trying to head back home but I always end up here." Tears started to well up from Brian's eyes. Jae panicked as he saw Brian crying.

 "Hey, don't cry I'll try to help you don't worry. Uh you just have to tell me what your exact address is and I'll try to bring you home. Everything's going to be alright."

 "I don't know. I can't remember. Even if I do know, it's gonna be useless."Brian answered, looking down. "But it's in a village just nearby here. I know how to go back home from here, because I always go and play here. It's strange today. I can't go home because I keep coming back here."

Jae scratched his head, not knowing what to do next.

"What should we do now. I don't know exactly the village you are talking about." Brian sighed. "It's okay. You should go home now, you're mom must be worried about you."

 Jae shook his head and smiled, "I can't leave you here alone. You can come with me tonight. We'll get help from mom. She can help us. Let's go?" Brian's face lighted up, he admired how nice the boy in front him is and he's sure it's rare to find someone who could be like that to a stranger like him.

The two made their way to Jae's house. No one between them was speaking for a couple of moment so Jae broke the awkward atmosphere.

"By the way, I’m Jae. I haven’t introduced myself yet.” He chuckled.

“It’s nice to meet you, Jae.” He said and smiled at him.

“So, how long have you been staying at that playground?" Brian took too long to respond, he was thinking of what the answer the question is, "I actually don't know." Jae looked at him with disbelief, Brian just flashed an innocent smile to his face.

"You keep answering me "I don't know" do you know that? He said. "I don't know?" Brian asked. "Kidding." He laughed. Jae chuckled as he hear the boy's laugh. What he saw earlier was a weak and woebegone boy and at that moment he's seeing a completely opposite version of him.

"You should smile often, Brian." Jae said. Brian looked at him with a smile and said,

"I will, Jae."

The two kept throwing jokes and puns to each other while they were on their way, that made the streets filled with glorious laughters and chuckles.

 Jae stopped as he noticed that they're just few blocks away.

"Let's hurry you must be freezing cold." He smiled and they walked in fast pace. They both stepped outside the front door as they rang the bell. Brian stayed behind Jae. Jae's mom opened the door for them and he threw Jae an angry face.

"Where have you been young man?" Mrs. Park asked.

"Mom, mom. Please calm down. I just wanted to buy some candies from the store and look who I met." He gleefully told his mom. "I saw Brian. He was at the playground across Wonpil's house. He said he can't go home, maybe he forgot how to so I brought him here." Jae continued. 

Mrs. Park was already confused. "What are you talking about, son. I can't see anybody but you." Jae raised a brow. "Huh?" He then looked around to look for Brian. "He was just with me earlier, did he run away? He probably got scared or shy. He's feeling cold, I must follow him."

Jae was about to run when his mom gripped on his arm. "Who's Brian are you talking about?" Jae turned to look at his mom, "Brian Kang, mom. He must be really scared right now."

 She was so surprised upon hearing the name her child was talking about.

"Get inside." Jae was already worried sick, he did not exactly know why but perhaps the call to help his newly made friend was just that strong.

"But mom?!" he exclaimed. "Get inside, Jae."

Mrs. Park pulled his son inside and locked the door. "Mom I have to find Brian. He needs help. He needs our help." Jae kept complaining. His mom was just ignoring him, but Jae was so eager to find this boy so he tried to go out. "Stay here, Jae Park. No one is looking for someone and no one is helping someone. Get inside your room." She strongly commanded the young boy. "Mom he needs us."

"Who's Brian Kang are you talking about, Jae."

 "That boy who lives in a nearby village from here, mom he needs our help. He's lost." Mrs. Park clenched her fist and spilled,

"You're not supposed to meet that boy." Jae was already about to tear up he walked towards her mom,

 "But why?" he asked, his voice croaks.

"That boy is in the hospital for months. He's asleep for who knows when that boy will wake up. He might not even will-" She immediately regretted the words she just spitted as it was evident in her eyes.

Suprised, Jae looked as his mom with disbelief, "What?" Was the only word that escaped .

 "I saw his mom earlier today and she told me that her son is still unconscious. Brian got involved in a fatal accident across that playground and he's still asleep until now. How is he supposed to get up from the hospital bed and play at the playground?"

 Jae couldn't hide his emotions, he started crying, unable to speak. Brian was the only friend he made, he thought, eversince they moved houses and this broke his heart. He refused to believe but he knows his mom could not possibly lie to him about this serious matter.

 The next day, his mom brought him to the hospital where Brian was in. He told Brian's mom about what happened last night and that made her cry her heart out. Jae entered Brian's room. He saw the same boy he was with last night. He stared as his pallid skin, he stared at his pallid face, how it is different from the smiling Brian he witnessed last night. He wanted to cry, but no tears were falling. Instead a smile was found forming on his lips.

"Get well. Wake up soon, Bri. I still have lots of jokes to tell you."