Chapter 1

The Man Behind The Mask
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo sat in the back of the crowded classroom barely paying attention to the monotonous sounding professor in the front going on about the history of Korea’s economy. He stared at the clock mounted on the wall above the professor’s head counting down the minutes until class ended pretending to pay attention. He snuck out of class at the last possible minute wanting to appear a studious student but also not wanting to be too late to rehearsal.

Kyungsoo sighed in relief as he left the classroom glad to be out of that mundane class. He left campus walking in the cool air towards his dorm room trying to decide whether or not he should grab a coat today. As he approached his dorm he decided to keep walking not want to be anymore late than he already was. Kyungsoo walked down the crowded streets towards the opera doing his best to avoid bumping anyone as he mulled over the piece he was planning on rehearsing today. It was a brand new piece never performed before and he wanted his performance to be perfect if he got the part. The piece was going to be at performance level before they even begin casting the different parts and solos.

When Kyungsoo arrived, the opera house was buzzing with people running everywhere trying to get to their rehearsal space. In just a few weeks, they were meant to perform a brand new opera by a rising composer. People were yelling and bumping into each other every second. Kyungsoo was muttering curse words underneath his breath every time someone bumped into him and didn’t have the decency to apologize or say excuse me. He was already running a little behind after his professor decided to continue droning on and on causing him to leave at the last possible minute.

“Christian,” Baekhyun yelled. “Wait up!” Kyungsoo groaned stopping where he was standing. Kyungsoo went by Christian at the opera house to try and keep the two lives separate. He did not like to mix his uni life with his opera house life. He liked how he could be someone else at the opera house.

    “Hi Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo said through gritted teeth. “I’m running a little late for rehearsal. Can we talk later?”

    “Oh, sure” Baekhyun replied his face falling a little bit. “I didn’t realize you were late. You’re always early. I’ll talk to you later then.”

Baekhyun turned and slowly walked towards the front of the opera house leaving Kyungsoo behind groaning and running his fingers through his hair. He turned around and continued to walk down to long hallways of the opera house until he finally reached the last rehearsal hall. He had booked this area just to practice the solo piece he was hoping to sing. Kyungsoo uncovered the black grand piano slowing sitting down on the bench placing his music on the stand in front of him carefully. He sighed rubbing his eyes and began to slowly play the piece trying to get the notes in his head. He always preferred to be able to play the piece before he tried to sing it.

Kyungsoo played the song trying to convey the emotions, the sadness of the character singing this piece after they realized the first person they ever loved died. Kyungsoo continued to play the piece until he felt like he knew it well enough. He left the piano for a few minutes walking over to his bag pulling out his water bottle and his phone. He sat down unlocking his phone and checking his text messages taking a sip of water. He sighed as he read a text from Chanyeol, one of his only uni friends, reminding him about their study session. He completely forgot they were supposed to meet up tonight and study for the upcoming economics exam. Kyungsoo sent Chanyeol a quick text apologizing for forgetting their study session and promising to study with him all day tomorrow.

Kyungsoo stood up putting his phone and water back in his bag groaning slightly. He saw it was already almost 9 o’clock and he still had a lot of work to do before he felt comfortable going home for the night. He sat back down in front of the piano lightly running his fingers across the keys before placing his hands where they belonged. Kyungsoo played the piece singing the notes all t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter