FIFTEEN. (new)

REBOOT.

“What are you talking about?” Tom asks, his voice rising. “Captain Cardozo had nothing to do with any of this-,”

 

“Keep it down, she’s sleeping,” Jimin hisses, jerking his head over to Lucy.

 

“Stop trying to frame the Hado for all your problems-,”

 

“I’m not the one who found out. It was Dev.”

 

Tom stops in his tracks. His jaw is agape. Both of us watch with wide eyes as he pulls a white pill out of the pocket of his sweatpants. There’s a strange pattern inked onto the back, black lines intertwined in a celtic knot. The design looks vaguely familiar- I can’t place where I’ve seen it. But judging from the shocked gasps that Taehyung and Tom let out, it means something significant to them.

 

“The Hado seal,” Taehyung breathes. “They- they did this to Lucy!”

 

“Lucy left this behind after one of her encounters with Dev,” Jimin tells us tersely. “Dev recognized the mark and went to Jin- who then showed me. He wasn’t sure who he could trust.”

 

Betrayal and shame blossom across Tom’s flushed face. His entire body is trembling; he has to clench his fists at his side to keep them from shaking. “He... he thought I was Lucy’s dealer?”

 

“You’re the only one from the Hado he knows aside from his sister. Dev wasn’t sure if Joo was in on this either.”

 

“Why the would I be in on it?” I shriek. Jimin shoots me a look that’s so vicious I involuntarily shrink away.

 

“I said, keep it down,” he growls. “And, oh, I don’t know. Maybe because no one really knows where you are most of the time. He told me you barely responded to messages, were usually off doing god-knows-what-,”

 

“I was at home.” Despite my best efforts, tears of anger are beginning to prick at my eyes. “I wasn’t avoiding everyone on purpose. I was-,”

 

Depressed.

 

My eyes tear away from Jimin.

 

“Regardless, I determined neither of you were her supplier. I had Taehyung search Joo’s possessions for traces of amphetamines, and I was tracking Tom myself.”

 

I whip my head around to glare at Taehyung. “You went through my ?

 

Taehyung gives me a twisted, nasty smirk. “And I’d do it a million times over. Clearly, you can’t be trusted at all-,”

 

When were you tailing me?” Tom demands. “And that logo doesn’t prove anything. It could just be someone stealing supplies from the Hado’s lab-,”

 

Jimin’s lips curve up into a chilling smile. “Captain Cardozo basically admitted it herself.”

 

Tom’s face goes slack.

 

“No way,” I whisper.

 

“Do you know what she said to me?” Jimin tips his head back. “She said she knew the drugs would make Lucy ultimately burn out and die. But Lucy knew what she was getting into- they had an agreement.”

 

“Those drugs are illegal- I thought the Hado was supposed to be the good guys,” I breathe.

 

“It was a matter of utilitarianism to Captain Cardozo. Not only would Lucy take out the Kado council, but she’d die in the end, too. It was all for the greater good.”

 

“This is insane,” Taehyung says. “Some conspiracy-theory level . This- the Hado could be prosecuted for this-,”

“This proves that your sanctimonious preaching about the Hado being morally superior to the Kado is bull,” Jimin says, his eyes fixed straight on Tom’s pale face. “There is no such thing as a good side. There’s just two sides struggling for power, both of who wanted your friend dead.”

Tom is dead silent. The only sound in the air is the tick-tick! of the clock on the wall.

 

And then he whispers, “So now what?”

 

There’s a cocky smile on Jimin’s face. “I have a plan.”

 


 

“I have a question,” I say quietly. Dusk crept over us as Jimin was explaining his plan, and the cottage is ensconced in the warm golden light that comes right before the sun falls. Tom and Taehyung left an hour ago to begin preparations. I tried to ignore the way Taehyung refused to make eye contact with me as he left, the deadened look on Tom’s face. If I don’t keep paddling desperately, ignoring everything around me and moving as fast as I can, I’ll drown.

 

Now it’s just me and Jimin sitting around the fire.

 

“Shoot,” Jimin says tonelessly.

 

I look down at Lucy, who is lying fast asleep in Jimin’s lap. “How did she forgive you?”

 

Jimin’s intense gaze is fixed on the crackling fire in front of him. He doesn’t say anything for several moments, and I’m convinced he’s just going to ignore my question.

 

And then he says, “You think she doesn’t despise me?”

 

I blink. “But... you two are...,”

 

“The only reason she’s clinging onto me like this is because she’s going through drug withdrawals. She thinks if she’s nice enough to me, I’ll give her pills again.”

 

I recoil like I’ve been zapped by a taser.

 

“Don’t worry.” Jimin lets out a harsh laugh. “Once she’s lucid, she’s gonna murder us all.”

 

I’m at a loss for words. I simply stare at Lucy’s figure in horror, my chest twisting up with pity for both her and- reluctantly- Jimin.

 

He notices my stricken expression and scoffs. “You have other things to worry about. Do you think Taehyung’s going to forgive you?”

 

“He has to understand, right? I mean- he’s helping us with Lucy-,”

 

“Lucy’s his childhood friend. What are you?”

 

“I...,”

 

What am I?

 

 


 

 

“Are you sure you’re feeling okay?” Mrs. Kim whispers in my ear. She looks resplendent in her deep maroon gown, a timeless beauty glowing amidst the warm chandeliers. Her hand is tightly clutching mine as we walk into the gilded glass doors of the Lotte New York Palace. I’ve never been in a building this grandiose before, all weathered brownstone and soaring archways and golden walls. Rich velvet lies upon cold white stone, its deep violet color dancing with reflected candlelight. The attendees exude the scent of money- as they casually stand around laughing, completely at ease in this luxurious setting, I am struck with the fact that this is the norm for them.

 

“I’m okay,” I respond, forcing my lips into a wide smile. “I’m really grateful to be here.”

 

“No, I’m grateful you’re here. I’m happy everything’s out into the open now, and you can be more involved with the Kado. I... I know you understandably have your reservations, but I hope you can-,”

 

“Oh, Soyoung!” A tall, graceful woman with a slight Russian accent exclaims. “So lovely to see you. I can’t believe the Summer’s End Banquet is already here. Where’s Taehyung?”

 

“Nice to see you, Galina.” Mrs. Kim exchanges kisses on the cheek with her. “He’ll be speaking later, so he had to arrive earlier to prepare.”

 

“Ah, delightful, delightful.” Her piercing blue eyes move over to me. “And who is this lovely lady?”

 

“Jooyeon Jung,” I say, sticking out my hand.

 

Galina’s eyes sharpen. Something about my name seems to register in her mind; I belatedly realize that everyone in the Kado must know who I am after the incident on the Tappan Zee bridge.

 

“Ah, Miss Jung.” Galina ignores my hand and opts to kiss me on the cheeks instead. “Delightful to finally meet you.”

 

“Do you know the schedule for tonight, Galina?” Mrs. Kim cuts in, saving me from any more conversation.

 

“A little. I do know that Jimin will be giving the keynote speech.”

 

Mrs. Kim lets out a startled gasp. “Jimin’s back? I thought he couldn’t be found after Lucy Chen disappeared.”

 

My stomach clenches at the sound of Lucy’s name. I have to struggle to keep my expression placid.

 

“Ah, well, he returned this morning.” Galina waves her hand uninterestedly. “Apparently he lost his mind a little after Miss Chen vanished. Tore up the entire Northeastern seaboard trying to hunt her down.”

 

“And he couldn’t find her?” Mrs. Kim asks, hushed. “Jimin’s so talented. I’d be shocked if he failed.”

 

“Yes, that is what the leadership council thinks, too. After tonight’s banquet, he’ll undoubtedly be put through an inquisition, just like those other boys.” Galina tosses her hair over her shoulder. “No matter. For tonight, he is still our Junior Vice Captain.”

 

Mrs. Kim and I are silent as she trots off to socialize with the next passerby. Trepidation rises up higher and higher in my chest.

 

Jimin’s still Junior Vice Captain tonight. We have one shot at this.

 

“Why don’t you head on to the main hall?” Mrs. Kim suggests softly. “I’m sure some of your friends are there already.”

 

I nod, unsteadily making my way through the crowds to one of the enormous brown doors near the right side of the reception area. Walking in this heavy dress and heels is a difficult feat by itself, but the unnerving sensation of being watched makes me feel even more self-conscious.

 

The main hall is even more magnificent than the exterior of the building- so much more so that I let out an audible gasp as I take in its opulence. Heaping arrangements of white roses line the marbled walkways of the banquet hall. The fragrant scent of sandalwood and jasmine hangs in the air, permeating the room along with the buzz of lively conversation. There are so many diamonds in this room I feel like I’ve stepped into Tiffany & Co.

 

For a moment I feel so overwhelmed I can’t do anything but stand in shock. The only thing I can see in this light is black suits and designer dresses scattered around glass tables. Most of the people here are my enemies- I can’t find anyone I know- my feet involuntarily move backwards as my breath starts to catch in my throat-

 

“Whoa.” A pair of hands steadies me. “Easy there.”

 


A/N: i am SO sorry if i haven't responded to your comment work is kicking my i promise i will respond soon :'( also, ENORMOUS shoutout to pramithia- her analysis of the chapters in the comments is always so interesting to read, i love you so much girl <3
 
i hope yall are doing okay, i love yall so much