TWENTY FIVE.

REBOOT.

 

 

Tom drives me home at 1 in the morning. I feel guilty for making him do it but I want to be in my own bed. I need to be home.

Even though home is truly the lion’s den.

When I arrive at the Kim residence, I realize that I have come during the tail end of another one of Taehyung’s massive blowouts. Alcohol and empty shot glasses sit amongst passed-out girls wearing miniskirts and beer pong balls. One of the stylish silver lamps in the foyer has crashed to the ground, causing a shining ocean of glass shards to blanket the marble flooring.

The back of my throat starts burning.

But I cannot cry.

Steeling myself, I trudge up the seemingly endless flight of stairs until I reach the third floor. When I try to open the door to my room, it is locked. Loud sounds are audible from inside. Despair rises up in my chest as I go from guest bedroom to guest bedroom, unable to find a single empty room.

The only room left is Taehyung’s.

I try the doorknob.

It turns.  

Bracing myself, I tiptoe in.

He is standing at the window, a glass of red wine in his hands. It’s a surprisingly classy drink for such a trashy party, and I am unsure as to why he is alone in his room while they rest of his friends are engaging in full debauchery around us. The room is dark, save for the large fireplace in the corner, whose flames blaze brightly against the rain-covered windows.

When I enter, he his head to the side-

And then he realizes it is me and fully turns around.

“What are you-,” he begins to snap- until he sees the state I am in.

His mask of cool indifference melts off, replaced by wide-eyed worry. He sets his wine glass on his dresser and rushes towards me, cupping my face in his large hands.

“Who did this to you,” he breathes.

“I fell,” I dully respond. He draws closer to me, his eyes searching my bloody face.

“Joo, please.”

“I said I fell. Can I- can I sleep on the floor? People are in every room.”

He wordlessly drags me towards his enormous bathroom, turns on the faucet to the jacuzzi and throws in a mixture of eucalyptus oil and bubble bath solution. I silently watch as the bathtub fills with minty, foamy liquid.

“I just want to sleep,” I say quietly.

“There’s blood and dirt all over you. Get in the tub. I’ll leave-,”

A sudden flash of panic hits me- I grab his arm.

“Don’t leave me here alone,” I say in a thick voice.

He looks at me for a long, long moment.

Then he gives me a small nod.

“I’ll turn around,” he tells me softly.

I pull off my jeans, t-shirt, Jin’s varsity jacket, and my underwear, and slide into the tub with a plop! My eyes aimlessly stare ahead; I do not move.

“You have to wash yourself,” Taehyung says.

I do not respond.

After a few moments of hesitation, he reaches into the tub, scoops some water up with his hands, and pours it on my head. After sufficiently wetting my hair, he reaches over and rubs some shampoo in my hair. The tension dissolves from the shoulders the instant his fingers touches my head; as he massages my scalp, I lean back onto the edge of the Jacuzzi, my eyes closed. I recognize the familiar spearmint scent- this is the same shampoo Taehyung uses. The realization causes a chill to run down my spine, despite the heat of the water.

“Can- can you do the rest?” Taehyung asks gently. I realize that his hands are slightly shaking.

“Yeah,” I say.

I dazedly scrub my skin with the loofah he hands me. The sensation is scratchy and unpleasant, but I welcome the feeling- it feels like I am scrubbing myself clean. I vigorously press the loofah down and rub it over my skin over and over again, over and over, over and over, I have to get clean, clean clean clean-

“You’re going to hurt yourself,” Taehyung says quickly, grabbing the loofah from me. “I think you’re good.”

Despite the foam, I can see that the water around me is distinctly brownish from all the grime. The sight of the dirt leaving my body invigorates me; I grab the loofah back from Taehyung and cleanse the rest of my body, until I am sure my skin is pink from all the pressure.

“Here.” Taehyung disappears into his closest and returns with an oversized t-shirt and basketball shorts. I simply stare at the t-shirt.

“Joo. Joo. J- here.” Taehyung lifts my arms up from over the towel and tugs the t-shirt on me.

“I’m not doing the shorts,” he tells me, the tips of his ears red. He leads me back into his bedroom and guides me to his bed. When I still do not move, he sighs and tucks me in under the covers.

“Now tell me what happened,” he says.

“Nothing happened,” I say in a monotone.

“I’m kicking you out if you don’t tell me.”

My eyes flit to his in the darkness.

“You wouldn’t do that.”

“Watch me.”

He places his arms under me and lifts me up from the bed. I silently lie in his arms as he takes two steps towards the door.

“You’re not going to tell me?” he says.

“Nothing happened.”

He waits for two seconds, and then drops me back onto his bed with a groan.  “Fine. Whatever. I don’t care.” He lies down next to me, arms crossed.

I pull off the towel and put on his basketball shorts.

“Why aren’t you with your friends?” I ask.

“I just... wanted some space to think. I was tired after the game.”

“I saw you.”

“Yeah, I saw you, too. Why were you there?”

“Lucy wanted to go.”

“Did you have fun?”

“No.”

“Yeah, makes sense,” he grumbles. “You come home all bloody and disgusting. Obviously something bad happened.”

“No, lacrosse is just boring.”

He looks at me in indignation. “Lacrosse is not boring. Didn’t you hear the crowd tonight? It was crazy.”

“You’re just biased because everyone there was screaming for you,” I mutter. “Captain Kim! Captain Kim!

“Ooh. Jealous?”

“No. I could get people cheering for me, too.”

“Really.”

“I don’t know.” I roll around on my side so I’m facing him. “I could go downstairs right now, get really hammered, and start stripping in the pool room.”

“Wow, so you’d get a couple of dudes and really drunk girls to cheer for you. Please teach me your ways.”

“Shut up.”

I can tell he’s grinning at me through the darkness. My lips quirk up into a smile.

“You were amazing,” I say quietly. “I didn’t know what was going on half the time, but... you were really, really good.”

“That’s the first nice thing you’ve ever said to me.”

“Why would I say anything nice to you? Hey, Tae, I know you hate my guts, but I just want to say you’re a really great kisser! Toodaloo!

“I’m a great kisser, huh,” he says, and embarrassment rushes through me as I realize what I have just said.

“It was an example,” I defensively tell him.

“I’m curious. How did you gauge if I was a good kisser or not? Haven’t I been the only person you’ve kissed? What’s your frame of reference-,”

“You’re not a good kisser! That was a random example!”

“Mhm. So you didn’t enjoy it when I kissed you?”

“No! I was just really surprised! And the second time was just a peck-,”

“How about this: I kiss you again, and we see if you enjoy it.”

“No! Ugh, you’re such a flirt. You and Jimin and all your friends.”

“I’m nothing like Jimin,” Taehyung hotly protests, but I kick him under the covers.

“Don’t lie. Actually, aren’t I in the same place Laila was a few weeks ago?”

Taehyung rolls over on his back, an exasperated sigh escaping his lips. I note with satisfaction that he seems rather flustered.

“That was over a month and a half ago,” he says. “For the record, I haven’t had anyone over since then.”

“Did you change your sheets since then? I really hope I’m not lying in your cu- oof!

I groan as he squashes a pillow over my face.

“This is why I’m not nice to you,” he mutters.

I exhale softly, looking up at him. “Seriously, though. Thanks.”

He turns so that he is facing me. The light from the fireplace is glowing behind him, allowing me to vaguely see the smile on his face.

“Go to sleep,” he says. “I’ll leave.”

“Don’t.” I sigh, rolling away from him so he can’t see my face. “Just stay.”

“Fine.” My cheeks heat up as I become aware of him tossing off his shirt. “Night.”

“Are you going to kick everyone out of your house?”

“Tomorrow,” he yawns, stretching out his arms. After a moment of hesitation, he tentatively rolls over so he is lying right next to me.

“Night, Jooyeon.”

Ten minutes later, his arms are around my waist and his face is nuzzled into my shoulder. I relax into his warm embrace, my hands resting on top of his.

“Night, Tae,” I whisper, feeling a trillion times better than I did an hour ago.

 


 

“...wrong with you.”

Woozily, I blink my eyes open. It is still pitch black outside; the clock on Taehyung’s dresser reads, 4:28 AM.

“This isn’t what it looks like,” I hear Taehyung murmur next to me.

“Really?” I recognize the owner of the voice as Jimin. “Because this looks really bad to me.”

“She didn’t- I think something happened tonight. I think she was attacked. She came to my room covered in blood and dirt- you saw her in the parking lot. She looked like death- so did Lucy, Jin, and Sofia. And that blood sugar excuse was the biggest load of I’ve ever heard. We’re trying to make her leave Windsong, not kill-,”

Making her leave doesn’t involve you spooning her in your bed,” Jimin snaps. “, I knew it. This is sophomore year all over again-,”

“I’m not Jin!” Taehyung hisses. “And she is not Meena Murthy. I won’t let her be.”

“You’re completely blinded by your- what is it by this point? Is it still attraction? Or do you have feelings? You’re so ing dense-,”

Taehyung growls, “Do you think I don’t know? You think I haven’t noticed how she’s always on the second floor landing, how she always wears that amulet, how she looks at us? Of course I know she knows about magic.”

My heart stops.

Oh my god.

Oh, my god.

Panic is steadily rising up my throat, along with the acidic taste of bile. A shaky breath escapes my mouth and I have to force myself not to freak out, to stay calm, to act like I am still asleep, lest Taehyung feel the rapid pounding of my heart.

“How long have you known?” Jimin asks in a soft voice.

“Since Sasha trapped her in my library and she took a book to her room.”

He’s known. He’s known this entire time.

Oh my god.

“And you didn’t tell any of us because?”

Taehyung is silent. Jimin and I wait in anticipation for his response.

“Aren’t you the one who said humans who discover magic should be immediately eliminated?” Jimin continues. “You didn’t even bat an eye when Meena was ordered to be killed.”

And then I realize:

I know about magic.

It’s only a matter of time before they kill me.

Why hasn’t he reported me yet?

“You didn’t want to her to die,” Jimin says. “You didn’t want another girl’s blood on our hands.”

Taehyung does not say anything.

“Do your parents know?” Jimin questions.

“No.”

“Alright. Well, it looks like they’re going to find out in a few weeks at the end of the semester.”

“Jimin, no.” Taehyung’s voice cracks. “I’m begging you. Please. You can’t tell them.”

“It doesn’t work like that. Every single one of us has sacrificed so much- and you’re choosing to screw us all by doing this? I’m sure Dev knows about magic, too. We need to kill him too- we should’ve nipped him in the bud ages ago.”

Jimin Park, the boy who I have only heard utter words of kindness, is telling Taehyung to kill me and one of my best friends in the same tone of voice he would use when ordering a filet mignon. There is something eerie in his voice. Something harsh, ruthless. Chills run down my spine.

“While we’re at it, I’m sure Lucy and Tom know about magic as well,” Taehyung says in a desperate voice. “Do you want to kill Lucy, Jimin? Huh?”

Jimin lets out a soft, terrifying laugh.

“Oh, don’t worry about Lucy. She’s all mine.”

“What? What are you talking about?”

“You,” Jimin says, the humor disappearing from his tone, “will never understand what I mean. I’ve sacrificed more than all of you combined. So don’t question me.”

I thought Taehyung was bad.

But Jimin is a million times worse.

He is so unspeakably cruel.

Pure, unadulterated fear is coursing through my veins.

“We have two weeks before the semester ends. I want her out by your parents’ Winter Ball.”

I hear footsteps, and then the sound of a door closing.

Taehyung is absolutely still. I try and force my body to stop trembling, stop shaking so damn hard. Tears roll down my cheeks- I roll over so I am pressing my face onto the pillow, so he cannot see my face.

Should I make a run for it?

No, I’m too slow.

Should I just act like I didn’t hear anything?

Of course. I have no choice. But I fear my rapidly beating heart is giving me away.

I lay awake, fear pumping through my body, for four hours. I know Taehyung is awake next to me the rest of the night as well. He finally gets up at 8:30 AM and leaves his room. As soon as I am sure he is downstairs, I sprint to my room, cellphone in hand.

“Pick up, pick up, pick up,” I chant, ringing Dev. No answer. Lucy won’t pick up either- neither will Tom nor Jin- , where are they? My mind feels like it is about to shut down from the pure terror of the situation-

Jin finally picks up on the 3rd call.

“Mmmm?” he yawns into the phone.

“Jin,” I whisper. “They know. Jimin gave Taehyung two weeks and th-they’re  going to kill me like they killed Meena- and they’re going to k-kill Dev-,”

“Come to the front door,” Jin says, his voice absolutely alert. “I’m picking you up.”

Not even two minutes later, Jin’s car is sitting in front of my house. I almost can’t open the door to his car because my hands are shaking so badly.

“H-He killed her,” I squeak, the tears coursing down my cheeks. “Jin, Meena-,”

“I know,” he says grimly. “They’re going to kill you, Dev, Tom, and Lucy if you don’t get out of here fast.”

“Where are they?”

“Everyone’s at Lucy’s. I cast a protective spell over her house before I left. They’ll be okay for now.”

“Is Sofia up?”

Jin grimly shakes his head.

“I- we all have to get out,” I cry. “They're evil, Jin. They're evil.”

“I know.”

“What are we going to do?”

I burst into soft, hiccuping sobs. Jin reaches an arm out to soothingly my hair.

“He killed her,” I whisper over and over again. “Jimin’s going to- and Jimin’s going to get Lucy- I don’t know what he’s talking about-,”

“Wait.” Jin furrows his eyebrows in confusion. “Jimin? Lucy? What?”

“I heard Jimin say something about Lucy being all his. Is he going to k-kill her?”

“Jimin knows that Lucy knows? Holy - I thought he liked her- what kind of-,”

“We’re all ed,” I whisper. “We’re all going to die.”

 


A/N: literally im trying to write chap 29/30ish but like.... its so ing boring lmao which is bad bc its like the most important chap but ugh its just a giant exposition dump