b i t t e r

OPERATION: HATE (PREQUEL)

 

 

 

 

 

    “What the actual is going on, Jinyoung?” Jaebum’s voice blared through the line, angry and impatient like how he always has been. 

 

 

    Jinyoung sighed, rubbing his eyes with the heel of his hand tiredly. “Nothing. Don’t worry about it-"

 

 

    “Bull! What is this that I’m seeing all over the news?! What the are you doing?! You got my ing best friend shot? Are you even human anymore? Wait. You’ve never been human,” the fury in Jaebum’s voice turned bitter and harsh. “Goddamnit, Park Jinyoung! It’s his job to protect you, but you’re the one responsible of him! Yet, you went and got him drinking tea with Death? Are you insane?! Did you know what you’ve just done? Mark isn’t just any ing agent that you could just use at your disposal! He’s too important! Jinyoung, God, please, tell me you know what consequences you’ve reaped.”

 

 

    “Jaebum, calm down, I know you’re anxious and worried,” the young master stood up from his seat. He the speaker and left his phone on top of the coffee table. Jinyoung nodded towards Jaehwan, who quickly ran over with a new gray suit jacket. Putting on the suit jacket, Jinyoung caught his reflection in the mirror in front of him. His face cleared of those burning red smears and dark hair slicked back in his usual intimidating 'Chairman’ style. The white bloodied dress shirt was discarded and replaced by a perfectly ironed black one. Those dirtied black trousers were taken off to fit the gray ones that would fit with the suit jacket. “I thought you’d like to know that your dear best friend’s surgery went well, however, he’s still hasn’t open his eyes yet. Don’t worry. He’s resting in the most secured and luxurious room in this hospital, my personal V.V.I.P. room, so there shouldn’t be any rats sneaking around. The doctor said his wound would leave a scar, but it won’t affect his future activities as an agent. He’s fine, Jaebum. It’s my fault that he got hurt. I’m trying my best to fix it.” 

 

 

    The line stayed quiet for a while. That’s all right. Jinyoung wasn’t expecting an answer right away. If Jaebum needed some time to soak all those information in, then so be it. Jinyoung took the time to neatly tied his deep purple necktie and made sure it sat graciously at the meet of his collarbones. When his ‘Chairman’ appearance was set and done, Jinyoung walked back to the coffee table and grabbed his phone. He turned off the speaker and held the device to his ear. “Still there?” 

 

 

    An exhale that sounded like the agent could use a good eight-hour sleep was enough for the young master to stop on his track. At least Jaebum’s now a lot more calm than when this call first started. “You’re faking a marriage to cover this up? I should have known what kind of person you are, Park Jinyoung.” 

 

 

    “What? Don’t give me that tone, Im.” 

 

 

    “You would do anything if it all comes down to your benefits. This isn’t for him. I know that. In fact, I know it way too well. This is for you. Of course, you’ll do anything to save your goddamn image. I’ve seen how much your stocks were dropping since the news. Must to be you, huh. Are you shaking, Mister Chairman?” 

 

 

    “You’ve got no rights to judge my decision.” 

 

 

    “I’m not judging. It’s true.” 

 

 

    “You don’t know that.” 

 

 

    “But I do.” 

 

 

    Sighing, Jinyoung decided to drop it. Why bother explaining himself to someone who’s probably wishing to dig a knife through his heart right now. “I don’t have time for this. Believe whatever the you want. I don’t need your validation on anything I do.”

 

 

    “If anything happens to Mark,” Jaebum firmly said, “if anything happens to him… Jinyoung, don’t you have a best friend as well?” 

 

 

    With the sudden mention of an important person, Jinyoung’s body turned cold to the madness that’s echoing through his ears. “What the is that supposed to mean?” 

 

 

    “I know who your best friend is, Jinyoung. You better watch it, because he’s here in the same city as me.” 

 

 

    “Are you ing threatening me?” The Chairman laughed, “you don’t even remember his name. You’re all bark and no bite, Im.” 

 

 

    “Well,” Jaebum scoffed, “if something happens to Mark, you wouldn’t want me to know that doctor’s name, right?”

 

 

    “Im Jaebum!” 

 

 

    “You have powers, but I also have powers. Don’t make me do something I wish I won’t have to. Mark is very important to me, do you understand? I want him back in one piece. I don’t care whatever it takes. You will get him back to me in the same way he left. Are we in for a deal, Chairman Park?” 

 

 

    Something itched Jinyoung’s skin so bad, but he doesn’t know what. It’s just the way Jaebum had worded those sentences annoyed the Hell out of the young master. What is this? Very important person? Back to you? Jinyoung rolled his eyes. “He’s not your ing husband. Stop being dramatic.” 

 

 

    “He is,” Jaebum replied immediately, a bit too immediately, “we’re just not official. And as his wife, I have the duty to make sure he’s home safely-"

 

 

    “ you and your damn domestic fantasy,” Jinyoung growled angrily, feeling his skin burning with something indescribable.

 

 

    Jaebum’s smirk could practically be seen through the agent’s mocking tone, “don’t you have a press conference? What’s it about? Oh, right, your marriage. Hey, at least you won’t have to be jealous and upset over other people’s happy marriage. You’ve got your own now with a random your men picked up from the streets.” 

 

 

    Instead of giving in to what Jaebum wants, Jinyoung straightened himself and fixed his suit jacket with a neutral smile, “feel free to call whenever if you want more updates on Mark. Also, I pity you, Jaebum. I really do. You must be suffering a lot in this one-sided relationship. You don’t seem like Mark’s type. Stop dreaming. I’ll feel even more bad.” 

 

 

    “Wow,” Jaebum sounded more impressed at that comeback more than anything. “Nice one. So are you his type then?” 

 

 

    Somehow Jaebum turned the tables again. Because Jinyoung’s face just flushed wildly into the deeper stages of embarrassment. “You-"

 

 

    “Call me when he wakes up,” the agent on the other line laughed loudly and annoyingly, “don’t jump him, please.” 

 

 

    “What the -"

 

 

    “Bye, Jinyoung. Have fun~” And the agent hung up without even bothered waiting for a response, probably knowing his shameless tactic tickled a nerve. Jaebum loves living his life on edge. 

 

 

    “IM JAEBUM!” The young master huffed angrily as he threw his phone onto the coffee table. His face was still red and only getting redder. The thought that Jaebum’s words could affect him like this was beyond embarrassing, especially to a Chairman who’ve done so well in being a scary badass bastard that he is. “I can’t believe this… I…”

 

 

    “Sir…” Jaehwan called softly and timidly, “it’s, um, it’s time to g-go…”

 

 

    Taking one last look at himself in the mirror, the Chairman nodded, “yeah, let’s go before I could think of more stuff to embarrass myself.” 

 

 

 

 

 

+

+

+

 

 

 

 

 

    The moment his eyes met with the ceiling, Mark knew he wasn’t in an ordinary hospital room. A dry groan left his mouth as he tried to move his body. The pain shot up to his brain, signaling his entire body that he needs to chill as soon as possible. Mark forced himself up, a hand over his bandaged wound. His eyes scanned the room. Definitely not a regular patient room. The place looked more like the highest-class suite of the most expensive hotel in the city. The furnitures were not modern-like, but they adorned the appearances of ancient royalty, which made the room looked even more classy and somehow intimidating to a peasant’s eyes. Looking down, Mark wasn’t surprised to find that he’s not even on an actual hospital bed but a King sized bed with elegant satin sheets and puffy pillows. The extra-ness stretched when Mark noticed there were see-through gold colored curtains draping all over the bed like a royal canopy from the King’s chambers. 

 

 

    He’s in a King’s chambers. 

 

 

    Why does it not surprise Mark that the spoil young master really did ordered for the construct of this room randomly in a hospital? 

 

 

    Mark shook his head weakly, wanting to roll his eyes, but he was still too tired for that. The agent lied back down, appreciating the soft mattress pulling him in. It was as if lying on clouds. Of course, Jinyoung wouldn’t settle for something cheap and ineffective. Soon enough, give it about three minutes, Mark fell back asleep for another half an hour before exhaustion turned into pain. Even a slumber couldn’t stop the aching. 

 

 

    Opening his eyes again, Mark stared at the veiled ceiling. He felt so suffocating. Like he’s trapped inside a cage. Like he’s some kind of animal being stored away from the touches of dirty humans. Like he’s reserved for the one and only deity of this intoxicating realm of lies. 

 

 

    Pulling himself up again, Mark knew he’ll regret all of this later. But right now, he just wants to get out. They can’t lock him away forever. Jinyoung can’t force him to obediently sits here like a dog waiting for his master’s return. That’s not happening. Mark’s not a dog and Jinyoung’s not his master. He’s not going to dance to that Chairman’s tune. 

 

 

    After ripping off the IV, Mark limped over to the door with a hand pressing down onto his wound. He raised his fist and banged on the door, knowing perfectly well that there’s guards on the outside, because Jinyoung wasn’t stupid to leave the room unprotected. The door opened immediately, revealing two bodyguards cladded in their black suit and shades. Perfect. 

 

 

    “Sir-"

 

 

    The guards didn’t get a chance to finish when Mark pulled both of them inside and shut the door close. The agent managed to knock down both of the guards even with minimal strength. Thank God those guards were completely off-guard, because who would have thought someone with such injury could even lift a leg. A normal person couldn’t and wouldn’t. But Mark wasn’t particularly a normal person…

 

 

    Without wasting too much time, the agent stepped out of the room disguised in one of the guard’s suit and shades. His face grew paler the longer he’s on his feet, so he quickly scurried his way to the elevators with his head hung low to avoid any unnecessary recognition from passing people. Mark successfully made down a couple floors alone in the elevator. Only four more floors to go. Of all days, today wasn’t his lucky day. 

 

 

    The doors of the elevator slid open as it came a stop. Four men in their respective black suits and shades stepped in. Mark looked down, eyeing the ground and praying for the best. They didn’t seemed to notice Mark as they had their backs turned and were chatting among themselves over something the injured agent couldn’t quite catch. Feeling a wetness sticking to his skin, Mark grimaced and snuck a peak at his shirt. Only to find that his wound had opened. He bit back a pained groan and carefully hid the blotch of flood behind the suit jacket. 

 

 

    “He’s here, you know?” 

 

 

    “Yeah, I know. That’s why we’re going down right now.” 

 

 

    “Where did he go?” 

 

 

    “Conference.” 

 

    

    “About?” 

 

 

    “You’ll see on the news.” 

 

 

    And Mark thought his own ears were failing him. No doubt those bodyguards were talking about Chairman Park. He knew it. If he had stayed in that room a little longer, he’ll have to face the man he’s trying to break free of. He can’t stay here. He needs to go back. He’ll call Jaebum to book him a flight back to Seoul the moment he gets out of this place. Staying here would be too much of a risk. Mark risked everything already. There’s no way he can make the same mistakes again. 

 

 

    Mark waited for all the bodyguards to get off the elevator first before quietly following behind them. Even though Mark looked like he’s so out of place, there was too much going on for anyone to notice an agent disguising and blending in with the Chairman’s bodyguards. Which was good. Because the sooner he escapes from here the better. Once he steps past those doors, he’ll just disappears. Jinyoung will never hear from him ever again. This was the best for the both of them. They can’t be involve with each other anymore deeper than this. So many -ups already happened. They can’t afford more. It’s time to stop everything. 

 

 

    It hurts. 

 

 

    It hurts Mark a lot. 

 

 

    But it has to be done. 

 

 

    They can’t hang on this delusion anymore. 

 

 

    One of them has to do something. 

 

 

    Mark knew Jinyoung won’t be the one ending whatever it is between them. 

 

 

    That’s okay. 

 

 

    Because Mark will be the one to let go. 

 

 

    “Sir!” The bodyguards stopped and bowed in unison at the entrance of the most powerful person. 

 

 

    Mark tried to hide himself behind the four men in front, as he participated in bowing to the Chairman. When all of them got back up, Mark kept his head down. The opened wound started to bleed more. And Mark began to have problems keeping his vision clear. Worms swam in the pit of his stomach. Needles injected in his brain. Sharp teeth chewed on his heart. Mark felt lightheaded and weak. But he’s so close. Just a bit more… Just…

 

 

    Of course. 

 

 

    Mark should have known better than to think that he could slip past Park Jinyoung’s fingers just like this. 

 

 

    He should have known better that the person who’s holding his heart is none other than Park Jinyoung.

 

 

 

 

 

 

+

+

+

 

 

 

 

 

 

    “Okay, stop this,” Jinyoung turned around, facing Jaehwan and a long line of bodyguards. 

 

 

    “Yes, sir? Is there something you need?” Jaehwan asked, blinking questionably under those thick dark glasses. 

 

 

    Rolling his eyes, the young master sighed, “I’m just going to the hospital. Why do you feel the need to drag along ten men with you? Just you is fine. Forgot that I’m a special trained agent?” Jinyoung looked on at the bodyguards standing in some kind of defense formation around him and Jaehwan. 

 

 

    “Safety above everything, sir,” the Head Bodyguard replied with a smile. “Your best personal bodyguard is heavily injured, sir. You’re more open to threats.” 

 

 

    “…”

 

 

    “Don’t miss him too much, sir. I’m sure he’ll recover soon-"

 

 

    “Another word and you’ll be packing your bags. I’ll rip the contract being the Parks and Kims myself.” 

 

 

    “Um, there’s no contract, sir-"

 

    

    “Goddamnit,” the Chairman groaned and continued his way up the steps while tuning out whatever nonsense that’s spewing from his subordinate’s childish mouth. He doesn’t blame Jaehwan. That kid still got lots to learn. 

 

 

    When the Chairman set his foot inside the huge building, everybody immediately stopped whatever they were doing and showed their respects for their Boss. The Chairman walked on, didn’t bother stopping for anyone or accepted anyone’s greeting. He only stopped when he saw his group of men approached him. 

 

 

    “Sir!” They greeted strongly. 

 

 

    Chairman Park nodded and waited for them to straighten back up. When they do, the Chairman couldn’t help himself even though it’s very out of character for him to do so. “Is he awake?” 

 

 

    The guards shared a look at each other, “sir, we aren't the ones stationed at your room...” 

 

 

    Reading the sudden annoyed air around his young master, Jaehwan butted in to save those poor, innocent bodyguards, “I can call them-"

 

 

    “No need,” the Chairman waved off, “I’ll go there myself. You five go bring the doctor up to my room.” 

 

 

    “Yes, sir!” They said and hurried past the Chairman one by one. 

 

 

    Jinyoung waited. 

 

 

    And waited.

 

 

    And waited, 

 

 

    And waited. 

 

 

    Reaching out quickly, Jinyoung caught the arm of the last man before they all passed. “My bad. I meant you four.” The ice in the young master’s voice was enough to make everyone present froze in fear. He sounded very angry. “You. You’re going back.” 

 

 

    “Let me go,” Mark said softly, struggling out of Jinyoung’s grip. 

 

 

    Jinyoung gripped tighter onto Mark’s arm and pulled the agent closer to him, “I’m already angry. Don’t you dare try to make a scene. Turn around and go back to where you snuck out from, Mark.” 

 

 

    The agent scoffed, “no. We’re even. I saved your life, and you’ve saved mine by bringing me here. I don’t owe you anything anymore, and you don’t owe me anything anymore. We’re done. I’ll go back, but i’m going back to the States.” 

 

 

    “Who the said you could leave?” The young master tried to cover the sudden unexplained desperation in his voice with dominance. His mask was believable to everyone. Except for Mark. 

 

 

    “I did.” 

 

 

    “You step one step out of here, you’ll be fresh meat to all those criminals you’ve failed to kill last night.” 

 

 

    Mark smiled bitterly and looked at Jinyoung through the dark lenses of this bothersome wall that’s separating them from communicating with their hearts. “I’d rather die out there than die in here with you.” The agent leaned over to whisper into Jinyoung’s ear because the next words were for his ears only. “I’d rather them torture me to death than let us drown together without a life vest. I’d rather them rip me to pieces than stay here with you. Because Jinyoung-ah, we’re just hurting each other.” 

 

 

    What Mark said just now, Jinyoung didn’t like it. He hated every word. Jinyoung could see himself reflecting on the shades Mark was wearing. He thought he looked ugly. The furrows of his brows and piercing icicles in his eyes made him look like a monster. But he didn’t care. Jinyoung just wanted to get his point across. “If you want to go, fine. Leave. If you want to be suicidal, fine. I don’t give a . But what you don’t do is decide on how the I’m supposed to feel.” 

 

 

    “Jinyoung-"

 

 

    “Take him back,” Chairman Park ordered his men. “Lock him up and do your goddamn job properly this time! I can’t believe they ing lost to a ing injured person!” 

 

 

    “Yes, sir!” Six out of the ten guards moved quickly on their feet from behind their leader to the front. Two of them grabbed Mark’s arms. The agent was thrashing and struggling but no use. The guards were too strong, and he’s too weak at the moment. 

 

 

    “You! Jinyoung! Let me go!” Mark yelled, gathering every nerve he has left to fight off those tight grips. But it was no use. He was dragged like a broken toy. Mark stopped struggling by the time the guards got his body on that elevator. The wound opened up too much to the point blood just flows and flows. It didn’t took long for him to be set back on the bed he woke up from. Mark wasn’t planning on struggling, but the moment he felt something cold hissed against his skin, his instinctive response was to thrash and kick relentlessly. “Don’t ing touch me!” 

 

 

    The guards effectively held down the agent and cuffed his wrists and ankles to the long chains on either sides of the bed. Mark felt exposed as his arms were stretched out and legs restricted of further movement. The agent bit down his lip in anger, glaring holes into the Chairman who’s hovering over him with a neutral expression. If Mark had ever hated Chairman Park, which he does a lot, it wasn’t as bad as right now. The Chairman made Mark felt so little, so vulnerable, so damn weak. And Mark hates that. He’d rather jump off this building than being chained down to this bastard’s bed. 

 

 

    “Stop that,” a sigh left the Chairman’s mouth. He sat down next to the agent, “you’re going to bleed more.” 

 

 

    “,” Mark snarled angrily, head propping up to prove his point even when he’s being held down by these unnecessary restraints, “you.” 

 

 

    “Really?” 

 

 

    “…” 

 

 

    No warning. Absolutely no warning. Just plain silence. And a glance from those icy eyes. The Chairman used the heel of his hand to press down mercilessly on top of the puddle of blood spreading on top of the agent’s stomach. Being caught completely off-guard, Mark groaned out painfully. His wound opened up almost fully. A little bit deeper and maybe this time he would really die from pain and too much blood loss. With his mind clouded with the endless feeling of a whip of thorns wrapping around his withering body, Mark squirmed weakly on the bed. His fists clenched, knuckles white, as he repeatedly rammed his head back and forth against the supposedly soft pillow that now felt nothing but a burden to him. How could someone be so cruel? Was playing with his heart not enough? Was causing him mental pain not enough? Why must result to wrecking his physical body apart? Must Park Jinyoung take everything he has left to defend himself from this immense shadow of Death? 

 

 

    “This is going to leave a nasty scar,” Chairman Park pursed his lips, watching Mark’s face twisting with massive pain. “It’s okay, though, stay here and get treated.” 

 

 

    Mark scoffed, cold sweats rolling down the sides of his head, “n-no… Just… J-just ing k-kill me-me.” Veins popped on his forehead and etched a trail on his neck. The cuffs on his wrists and ankles already left faint purplish circles to remind Mark who he belonged to. 

 

 

    “We both know I can’t do that.” 

 

 

    “You can-can. You… You just don’t w-want to,” the agent stared wide-eyed at the ceiling, trying to even out his breathing to calm the pain that's biting through his bones. 

 

 

    The Chairman smiled quite a sad smile, “you’re right.” His fingers dug into the opened wound, casually bypassing the stitches and ripping the wound apart. Blood oozed out and dirtied his hand. Once again, Mark’s blood stained the Chairman’s hand. But he kept going. It wasn’t fun. Because the pang in his heart hurts him millions times more than anything he’d experienced. But he didn’t stop. In his ugly, horrific mind, Jinyoung thought the more injured Mark was, the more Mark needed to stay here. The more excuses for Jinyoung to keep Mark here. Because Jinyoung knew that how determined Mark was to just disappear from his life. Disappear as if Mark hadn’t walked in and created a ing hurricane. As if Mark hadn’t torn Jinyoung’s heart into rags. 

 

 

    “S-sir,” the scared, but polite, voice of the doctor knocked the Chairman back to reality. 

 

 

    Slowly removing his hand from the bloodied mess, Chairman Park took one more look at the agent. The sight that greeted him was like a stab at his already bleeding heart. Mark passed out due to too much pain. The pain that Jinyoung himself had caused. Jinyoung stared down at his red hand. He’s been hating himself but never this much before. Jinyoung hates himself for hurting Mark. 

 

 

    “Bandage him up properly,” the Chairman commanded, “I want extra security in front of this room. Nobody is allow to leave or come in without my permission. If I finds out anyone violating my orders,” he pointed towards the motionless agent on the bed, “you’ll end up like him.” 

 

 

    “Yes, sir!”

 

 

 

 

 

+

+

+

 

 

 

 

 

    “No!”

 

 

    “Stop being so ing stubborn.” 

 

 

    “Leave me alone.” 

 

 

    “You’re not going to get better if you don’t take your meds.” 

 

 

    “That’s fine. I’ll just ing die.” 

 

 

    The young master rolled his eyes. The clock on the wall struck exactly midnight. Jinyoung sighed, feeling drained already from all the meetings and interviews he had to go to about his sudden marriage announcements. The schedules were extremely boring and annoying, but at least all news about a certain agent were covered up and buried deep down in the bin before the public could even read a single word of the headline. Jinyoung thought he did a pretty damn good job today. He deserves a break. But of course, not everyone agrees with him. 

 

 

    Jinyoung knew he shouldn’t have come visit Mark so late into the night, because s like this always happens. But he couldn’t help it. After that horrible he’d done earlier this morning, Jinyoung just wanted to make sure Mark was all right. Well, the agent was definitely doing all right, judging on all this attitude the male had been throwing since Jinyoung walked in. 

 

 

    “Stop being ing childish,” the young master huffed, lips pouting and cheeks puffing in annoyance, showing a perfect description of who’s the actual child out of the two. “Take the damn pills and go to sleep!” 

 

 

    “I’ve been sleeping all day thanks to some who decided it’ll be a great idea to dig his ing fingers inside me.” Mark glared, anger covered his blush, because that last part sounded so wrong. Thank God for Jinyoung’s slow-to-catch-innuendos personality. Or it’s just Mark, whose brain probably contains a decent percent of y imaginations. 

 

 

    “Just take the meds, please,” Jinyoung looked at Mark with tired eyes, “it’s too ing late to be doing this. I’m exhausted.”

 

 

    Mark laughed wryly, “are you actually saying ‘please’? Wow. This is new. Not used to it. Go back to being a .” 

 

 

    Closing his eyes shut and pursing his lips, Jinyoung tried to calm himself. He could feel the rage bubbling at his throat, ready to lash out at any given second. “Mark Tuan.” 

 

 

    The agent turned away, pretending he’s not at all affected by the presence of the young master. “No, Park Jinyoung.

 

 

    Okay… Jinyoung for sure felt that to his bones. 

 

 

    Clearing his throat to awkwardly push down that strange feeling, Jinyoung held his head high. Although it’s night and Chairman Park has long gone, the spoiled young master felt the need to still show who’s actually in charge. He failed miserably, but that doesn’t mean he’d stop trying. “Fine. I’ll take these off,” Jinyoung nodded towards the cuffs, “if you take your meds.” 

 

 

    The agent turned back to face the young master. They shared a long stare before Mark reached over and grabbed the glass of water and pills from Jinyoung’s hands without breaking the eye-contact. Also, without letting his eyes wavered even the slightest, Mark shoved all three pills into his mouth and downed a whole glass of water in seconds. When Mark was done, Jinyoung took back the glass and placed it on the nightstand. Silently, the young master reached down and pressed in the codes to unlock the ankle cuffs. A small beep echoed throughout the quiet room and the cuffs fell off Mark’s ankles. 

 

 

    Sitting there, they waited for someone to speak up first. 

 

 

    Mark quirked an eyebrow, “um, what about these?” The agent waved his wrists in front of the man who’s responsible for all this. 

 

 

    “Never said I was going to take those off,” Jinyoung smiled. 

 

 

    “…”

 

 

    “Appreciate that I took the ankle ones off!” 

 

 

    “What’s the damn point?! I can’t do anything even with them off!” 

 

 

    “That’s the goddamn point! You’re NOT supposed to be able to do anything!” 

 

 

    “What’s that supposed to mean?!” 

 

 

    “It means everything you need is right here!” Jinyoung exploded after holding in the entirety of this late night visit. “You don’t need to do anything! Just call and everything will be brought to you! That’s. It. Simple. Whatever you ing want, I have! You don’t need to go anywhere else!” 

 

 

    Mark stared at Jinyoung for a while. Just speechless. And honestly, very tired. Shaking his head and laughing bitterly, Mark wanted to cry. “You… You’re so ing cruel, Park Jinyoung.” 

 

 

    “What did I-"

 

        

    “Shut up,” Mark deadpanned, “stop talking.” 

 

 

    “What? Why? Why can’t I talk-"

 

 

    “Because you don’t understand what you’re ing saying!” Mark snapped, eyes becoming a bit glassy from the overwhelming emotions threatening to pour out in rivers. “You don’t get it, Jinyoung. You just… Don’t. Get. It.” 

 

 

    Confusion flashed across Jinyoung’s face. “What don’t I get? What are you talking about?” Jinyoung could see how the light reflecting sharply against Mark’s eyes. For some reason, he felt a squeeze of his heart. Mark looked like he’s about to cry. And he hates that look. It makes him wants to destroy the world. 

 

 

    “There’s no point,” Mark sighed, forcing a smile for the last time tonight. “You wouldn’t understand.” The agent laid down and turned to his side, back facing the baffled young master. Mark prayed that he could sleep quickly to escape from this suffocating atmosphere. Or for Jinyoung to get up and leave. Whichever one works. Mark just needed time alone to collect his thoughts and feelings. He’s a special trained agent who’s not supposed to involve personal feelings with his work, but there’s so many protocols he broke already. Mark was sent here to decide whether or not Park Jinyoung was worth killing. Whether or not Park Jinyoung deserves to be save. Whether or not Park Jinyoung should still be on the surface of this world. Park Jinyoung’s life was in Mark’s hands. His mission was to pass a judgement on someone who possesses so many flaws and complexity that’s beyond salvation. 

 

 

    It’s Mark’s job. 

 

 

    It’s his job to make that final call. 

 

 

    Park Jinyoung should be kill. 

 

 

    Park Jinyoung should be erase from existence. 

 

 

    Park Jinyoung should…

 

 

    Yet under all that coldness, all that blood-thrist, all that evil, Mark saw an angel with beautiful white wings tainted by the darkness and brutality of reality. An angel desperately trying to free himself from the chains of the world he’s trapped in. A beautiful angel with a soft smile and warm touches. 

 

 

    Mark couldn’t do it. 

 

 

    He can’t. 

 

 

    He can’t kill Park Jinyoung, the Crown Prince of Hell who deserves the worse death of all. 

 

 

    He can’t. 

 

 

    And he won’t. 

 

 

    Because he’s fallen too hard. 

 

 

    Mark hits the ground way faster than he’d calculated. 

 

 

    His wings were broken. Just a mess of loose feathers and blood by his lifeless body. 

 

 

    Park Jinyoung broke his wings. 

 

 

    He can’t fly again. 

 

 

    All Mark could do now was to run away. Run far, far, far away to somewhere that this angel can’t find him. If he stays here, his morals will swallow him alive and force him to pull the trigger. Then he’ll have to be the one with the angel’s blood on his hands. Mark doesn’t want that. Because he fell too hard. He’ll do anything to protect this angel. Even if it meant for Mark to be the one who leaves. The only threat to this angel was Mark. 

 

 

    He won’t regret trading his life for Jinyoung’s for the second time.

 

 

    For the third time. 

 

 

    For a thousand times.  

 

 

    For a million times.  

 

 

    He’ll do it. 

 

 

    Because Park Jinyoung is now his world. 

 

 

 

 

 

+

+

+

 

 

 

 

 

    Confused? Yes. 

 

 

    Surprised? Of course. 

 

 

    But at the same time, not surprised…? Sure. 

 

 

    Happy? Oh, yeah, definitely. 

 

 

    A wide grin stretched on Jaehwan’s face. It’s a little past midnight, and the Head Bodyguard thought he’ll go check on his young master’s personal bodyguard. What Jaehwan expected was Mark sleeping peacefully like he has no worries for this life. What Jaehwan didn’t expected was to find another body curling up beside the agent. Curiosity kills the damn cat. 

 

 

    Jaehwan couldn’t believe he’s witnessing this in the middle of the night. 

 

 

    Mark, obviously, was sleeping soundly like just a day ago he didn’t got a bullet digging into his bones. And next to Mark… The young master, still has his tie and suit vest on, was sleeping like a baby. The sight made Jaehwan’s face flushed uncontrollably, because they looked so adorable cuddling against each other unknowingly. It’s like they’re automatically pulled towards each other. 

 

 

    So Jaehwan felt like a creep just watching them sleep, but he couldn’t stop it. It was so cute. The cuteness intensified when the young master stirred a little in his sleep, probably because of a nightmare, and with his eyes still closed and head still drifting from consciousness, he reached out to pull himself towards the inviting warmth. That warmth radiated from none other than Mark’s body. 

 

 

    They ended up pressed against each other. The young master had his hands resting in the small space between their chests and head halfway tucked under Mark’s chin. And Mark, on instinct, draped an arm over the young master’s waist protectively. The frown on the young master’s face formed by the bad dreams immediately disappeared. A peaceful expression settled on his gracious face instead. 

 

 

    Jaehwan had a hard time deciding whether or not he should took a picture. 

 

 

    “I should,” Jaehwan whispered to himself and smiled, pulling out his phone. He snapped a couple pictures and pocketed the device. “Totally blackmail materials~” The Head Bodyguard softly made his way out after taking another look at the two. His smile grew. Never had he ever seen his young master this content and peaceful before. Nothing makes Jaehwan happier than seeing his young master being himself. Being the Park Jinyoung that has no burdens or pressures on his poor shoulders. Being the Park Jinyoung that has no Chairman Park lurking behind him like a grim reaper threatening to take his life. Outside of that persona, his young master was really just a carefree, innocent child who has too much heart to give. 

 

 

    His young master was the worse in everyone’s eyes, but nobody hates Chairman Park as much as his young master. 

 

 

    Closing the door quietly, Jaehwan could finally rest. “I thought he’ll never find someone with the way he is, but I guess I don’t have to worry about that now. I mean, Mark-ssi is a pretty decent man. He’s well-rounded, for sure he could take care of our Young Master. Should I address him differently now? What am I supposed to call him? Young Master Number Two? Hmm…”

 

 

    “Um… Sir…” The four bodyguards outside of the room looked at each other, questioning their leader’s mumbling to himself. 

 

 

    “What?” 

 

 

    “What were you talking about?” 

 

 

    Jaehwan scoffed and rolled his eyes, “you wouldn’t understand.” 

 

 

 

 

 

+

+

+

 

 

 

 

 

    The amount of sleep Jinyoung’s getting was suspicious. So all the nerves in his body thrived awake and positioned themselves on full alert mode. Just in case if there’s danger right in front of him. Jinyoung opened his eyes, expecting the sunlight to scorch his eyes. But that light never came. Blinking a couple of times, Jinyoung managed to make out the actual ‘danger' that’s literally right in his face. 

 

    

    His body remained still. Feeling Mark’s breath fanning down on the crown of his head, Jinyoung wanted to scream. But no sounds came out. Even his own breathing couldn’t be heard. All that’s echoing in his ears was the beating of his mad heart. How did they ended up wrapped up in each other’s arms like this? The question ran a marathon in the young master’s head as he laid there frozen and scared. What was he’s scared of? Waking Mark up? Or his own self? 

 

 

    Probably the latter. 

 

 

    Because Jinyoung could feel his body yearning for the warmth that he realized only a certain someone could produce. Jinyoung thought he’s going crazy. There’s no way… There’s just… No way… 

 

 

    Mark groaned and squeezed his eyes tight, circling his arms around Jinyoung’s waist and pulled the young master even closer. Jinyoung held his breath, eyes widened with the sudden movement. His hand clasped over his mouth as Mark’s warmth enveloped him, blanketing over his coldness so gently. Jinyoung glanced down and the urge to straggle himself became unbearable. There can’t be a possible millimeter between them. Every inch of their bodies just plush together like the perfect pieces of a puzzle. Jinyoung found it harder to breathe each time Mark’s chest rose and pushed against his arms. A bit harder to breathe whenever he could clearly hear the rhythm of Mark’s heart beating like a sweet lullaby in his ears. 

 

 

    Jinyoung cursed himself for being the first one to wake up, because now he’s stuck here hating his life even more than he already have. If he slept a little longer, he wouldn’t be the person to deal with this. Mark would be in this current place instead. But people don’t usually get what they want in life anyways. But it wasn’t his fault that Mark possesses some magical power that makes all the nightmares go away. 

 

 

    “Jinyoung?” 

 

 

    “H-huh?” 

 

 

    The agent slowly detached himself from the young master. Jinyoung pouted slightly at the loss of warmth, missing it already. Mark turned to lie on his back, face scrunched up in discomfort when he accidentally pressed on the wound. “Why the are you here? I thought you left?” 

 

 

    “I…” Jinyoung sat up, trying to find the right words. He was supposed to leave last night right after the tiny argument they had. So how and when did he ended up on the same bed as Mark? Jinyoung rubbed his nape awkwardly, obviously unable to explained himself. And his red face wasn’t helping a lot either. “Um, I… I don’t… I…” 

 

 

    Mark laid a hand over his bandaged wound. He stared up at the ceiling. “There’s a couch over there, sir. Explain yourself, please.” 

 

 

    “I-"

 

 

    “There’s no reason for you to be on the same bed as me when there’s a ing couch over there that’s big enough to fit about two or three people. You’d have plenty of space and comfort.” 

 

 

    Flustered, Jinyoung looked down at his lap. He wished he was smart in situations like these. When has he ever found himself caught in a situation like this, though? The answer was never. Come on, the almighty Park Jinyoung would never share the same bed with anyone. He had his fair shares of one-night stands, but the women always were forced to leave right after their session. Well, nowadays, Jinyoung hasn’t been sleeping around with anyone much. The point was Park Jinyoung wasn’t a person who would just sleep with someone from night to morning… On. The. Same. ing. Bed. 

 

 

    Especially if that someone was Mark Tuan. 

 

 

    Also, they weren’t just sleeping. They were dead- cuddling. 

 

 

    Cuddling?! 

 

 

    The Park Jinyoung don’t do that ! 

 

 

    Jinyoung should be angry, but there’s almost no anger within him. It was just… That feeling of… He doesn’t know himself. 

 

 

    “You’re just going sit there?” Mark’s deep morning voice does to Jinyoung’s head involuntarily. 

 

 

    “N-no…” Jinyoung bit his lip, embarrassment washing him nicely like laundry. “I, uh, I was… I was tired. I guess.” 

 

 

    “Is that your excuse?” 

 

 

    The young master nodded, lifting his head to look at the couch through the gold mesh of the canopy that’s hanging over the bed. I’m an idiot, Jinyoung sighed. 

 

 

    “I’m not going to say anything.” 

 

    

    “Good.” 

 

 

    “Okay.”

 

 

    “Yeah, okay.” 

 

 

    “All right then.” 

 

 

    “Sure.” 

 

 

    “Sure?” 

 

 

    “Wha-what?” 

 

 

    Chuckling softly, the agent shook his head and to his side. His back facing the young master again. He let out a heavy breath he’s been holding. “I won’t talk about this.” 

 

 

    Jinyoung scoffed, “yeah, whatever.” Getting off the bed, Jinyoung rolled his eyes, suddenly annoyed at Mark’s way of avoiding the ing damn elephant in the room. “There’s a lot of things we don’t talk about, Mark.” The young master fixed his suit vest and tie before bending down to grab his abandoned suit jacket on the floor. His eyes darted to the agent’s backside. “But hey, let’s just ignore it like how we always do things, right? Cool.” 

 

 

    “You shouldn’t talk when you’re the one who don’t even ing know your own goddamn feelings, Jinyoung,” Mark retorted, pulling the blanket up to his neck. 

 

 

    “What?” 

 

 

    “See? You don’t even know.” 

 

 

    “Mark-"

 

    

    “Get out.” 

 

 

    The young master swung his suit jacket over his shoulder and placed the free hand on his hip. “This is my room. I’ll get out whenever I want.”

 

 

    “Fine.” 

 

 

    Silence was the worse thing that could happen at the moment. The amount of unspoken words and feelings hung in the air just taunting them both. They’re both cowards in their own ways. Both running from whatever problems they don’t want to acknowledge. No one was in the better position than the other. They’re both hurting each other and themselves. 

 

 

    But of course, Jinyoung doesn’t know that. Only Mark does. Which was probably a good thing. It’ll be easier for Mark to just slip away and get hurt all by himself. Maybe he could spare Jinyoung a bit of the heartbreak. 

 

 

    Hearing the room’s door slammed shut, Mark closed his eyes and sighed. He laid on his back and stared at the ceiling for how many times now that he had lost count. Mark thought about what just happened. And shamelessly craved and missed how perfect Jinyoung felt in his arms. God, he wants Jinyoung so, so, so bad. But he knew he can’t be carried away like that. His life can’t be meddling with someone like Park Jinyoung. 

 

 

    It hurts. But that’s just how things were meant to be. 

 

 

    They’ll never be together. 

 

 

    They’re not meant for each other. 

 

 

    Sighing again, Mark lifted his arms to stretch. Only then did he noticed…

 

 

    The cuffs on his wrists were long gone. 

 

 

    His heart bled more blood, hoping that the crimson madness could choke back the  tears. “Why do you always make things difficult for me to let go, Park Jinyoung… Please, just let me go...”