Friendship Lemon

Sour Lemon

"Omg , did you see that graze on her nose the other day?"

"Yah!"

"Totally!"

"Guess who did that?"

"Who?"

"Who?!"


"It was yours truly"


The table erupts with sweet giggles as Krystal flips her hair triumphantly. "You're such a queen!" Yu Jyi praises "Yeah, totally!" Her twin Yu Jyu follows up. "Mhm, I know" Krystal states with her head held high. 

She peers over at the one girl who hasn't uttered a word since they've sat on their assigned "Barbie Doll's" table. As the trio  chuckle continuously one stays awfully quiet. 

 

"Is there something you'd like to say.."

 

Krystal leans over stabs a fork violently into the medium rare steak on her plate.

 

 "...Haneul?" 


 
She jumps out of her trance due to the piercing rattles of her dish and looks at Krystal with an alert expression.

"You're usually the first one to speak, what's wrong darling?" Krystal questions her. 

Haneul knows Krystal too well, she knows she's getting paranoid due to the fact she hasn't been praised by her yet. 

Haneul , unlike Yu Jyi and Yu Jyu, can think for her self. They've been 'friends' (more like followers) of Krystal since they've started University last year. They've always praised her, consoled her, made her feel special but she has never attempted to make others feel just as wanted. Haneul has reached a point where she's constantly asking herself

 

"Why"

 

"Why."

 

"Why?"

 

"Why?!"

 

Krystal brings her hand to touch Haneul's cheek, brushing her thumb back and forth affectionately "Let me know, I want to make you feel good" she whispers in an apologetic demeanor.
She smiles and puts her hand over Krystal's gently. She relaxes into her soft palms and parts her lips "I've always had this one question burning in my head ever since I met you Krystal..." 
"What is it babes?" She interrupts, eager to hear the rest. Haneul grips her fingers, digging her nails slightly into her fair skin. She looks up at Krystal, gradually moving her hand away from her cheek. 

 

"Why do you hate Seolhyun so much?"

 

Haneul glares at her with and expression Krystal has never seen before, hues of confusion and hatred flaring up in her eyes.

 

Krystal yanks her hand away from her rapidly as she slams the table and stands up

"You're asking me why I hate her so much?"

"Am I speaking gibberish?"

"Don't get ing smart with me !"

Haneul gets startled by her loud voice

"I could buy your entire ing family if I wanted to Haneul, don't try it!"

She exhales and re-applies her favourite shade of Château Laboitte Wine Lipstick to calm her down a little.

"If you really want to know then you need to pipe down and humble yourself..."
Krystal lectures her "...Understand who makes the rules here,  news flash,  it's me." She sits down on her seat and crosses her legs, huffing.
She shuts her eyes and crosses her arms

 "It's a long story..."
 
Yu Jyu and Yu Jyi share a bowl of popcorn, they gesture Haneul to join in and swiftly, all three are munching, patiently waiting for Krystal to speak once again. 

"A while ago, well, a long long while ago...we...well..." 

Krystal hesitates 

"Seolhyun and I ... We..."

"WE WHAT?" were the words circling the triplets heads.

 "We...were f-...friends..." She utters in sheer embarrassment, shying her face away from the other members.

"You were friends?"  They say in unison with Haneul accidentally choking on a piece of popcorn in the process.

"Yes, were. Not anymore obviously" she continues "And it's because of the fact that she's a slithering snake."

They gasped simultaneously.

" Mhm. That's right." Krystal nods

"So, way before, I told her I had a crush on a guy. We pinky promised to keep it between us and not let others know. I trusted her and a couple days later, come to find out they're talking to each other more frequently than ever, alot closer in proximity than ever, looking deeper into each others eyes more than ever before, it infuriated me... "

Krystal turns to face her acrylic nails

"... Immensely."  

" I confronted her, asking what happened between her and my crush but she kept saying 'we are just friends!' but I obviously protested because you are, well we're, my friend not his, he is my crush! Uh, Girl Code 101: Chicks before ! Ever heard of it?! I finally had enough of hearing her 'just friends' bull and stormed off. Oh boy, oh boy I did not know she was such a silly little girl."

"Seolhyun... Seolhyun said something to him. Something so tragic that he refused to look her way. I began to feel excited like 'Omg he'll start looking at me again, the princess who rightfully deserves to be in your line of sight!' but then I realised, he avoided me too, he'd look at me in such a way, as if I were some kind of freak. In class I'd smile or wave and he'd quickly avert his eyes. Each. And. Every. Time."

Krystal readjusts her posture, exhaling deeply

"I was of course pissed off and told him what is this all about, his only response was silence. The next day he left and I haven't seen him since. I approached Seolhyun and all she did was apologize to me several times over without even telling me the reason why, ugh , as if that's gonna do ."

Krystal sighs, looking out of the window

"My final memory of him is those glassy mocha brown eyes staring at me so ...cold, lack of any emotion what so ever..." 

"Aww" Yu Jyu and Yu Jyi sound meanwhile Haneul's face screws into a perplexed expression.

"So, what did Seolhyun really say?" She queries

"That's what I'd like to know, doll" Krystal replies, simply shrugging. "Guess it's a question that will never be answered, that's why I can't befriend that snake anymore, can't speak the truth." 

 


"Alrighty!" Seolhyun huffs proudly

"All done!"

Before her sits an array of yellow objects she has collected over the years, the centre piece being , of course, her very own , Lemonita. Her orbs begin to glisten and gleam in all its glory, she grabs a tissue from her bag and pats the inner corners of her eyes

"It's just.... So beautiful...!" She weeps under her breath, gasping comically.

In walks an innocent Kyungsoo, blinded by her citrus rich display. "Woah, that's bright" he says squinting his eyes. "I know right! I know right! Isn't it great?" Seolhyun responds jumping on the spot, arms moving excitedly around her very time consuming composition. He tip toes cautiously around the spectacle, inspecting it's ever so fine details.

 

"How long did this take you take exactly?"

 

"Hmm..." She taps her chin

 

"About 20 hours."

 

Kyungsoo's jaw drops

"20 hours?! What were you doing during the 4?"

"Getting snacks and refreshments of course!" she laughs, slapping her knee repeatedly "You silly goose!"

She walks over to him and bends down to tap his chin "Don't wanna be catching fly's do ya?" She simpers. His mouth closes in an instant but his eyes continue to follow Seolhyun as she walks over to take a seat on her bed, happily humming while taking a sip from the straw connected to her happy lemon carton. 

 

She's so... 

 

She drinks up all the liquids inside the carton to the point where it looks imploded. Unsatisfied, Seolhyun grabs her straw and meneuvers it around every twist and turn in order to find that very last droplet of lemonade.

 

Kyungsoo tilts his head as he watches her, witnessing her oddly animated gestures and movements.

 

"Where are your friends?" 

 

She suddenly becomes static, eyes widening for a split second. Seolhyun turns to face him , smiling widely

"They simply don't exist."

Kyungsoo observers her in a puzzled manner.

She swiftly returns to hunting down the lemon drop, toungue sticking out excitedly in the process." Oh... Oh- I found you!" she brings her lips to the straw and indulges in the lemony zing of it all,  verifying her successful quest with an audible gulp. "Mmm! My favourite!" She hums, swaying her torso from side to side.

Kyungsoo lounges on his bed with a novel in hand, head laying comfortably on his pillow

"You have such a weird character, Seolhyun..."
 
She looks down to her feet, twiddling her toes childishly " Heh, yeah" she grins weakly " I've come to terms with that a while ago..." 

"Don't you want a social life?"

"Yes, I'd love one" Seolhyun admits " But all I'm capable of doing is hurting people"

Kyungsoo sits up slightly 

"That's why I stay with my precious lemons!" She leans over to hug her lemon plushie

"What do you mean 'hurting people'?" He attempts to interrogate her.

Seolhyun exhales heavily, pencil rolling onto her bed "I'm weird, a freak, whatever you want to call it" she buries her face into her yellow sheets " I hurt feelings Kyungsoo, and I'll probably hurt yours if you don't stop talking to me..."