Chapter 4

Peculiar Children

Kyungsoo walked in the back door and heard Jongin yelling.

 

“STOP DOING THAT! IF YOU DO IT AGAIN I'LL GIVE YOU A DAMN REASON TO FLINCH!!” Kyungsoo’s stomach churned.

 

What the hell is going on?

 

He heard a horrible cracking noise and then a thud. He heard a whimper, and then small feet scrambling up the stairs and a slamming door.  He turned the corner just in time to see Chanyeol kicking the crap out of Jongin. Kyungsoo grabbed Chanyeol and threw him down.

 

“STOP! STOP! LEAVE HIM ALONE!”  Kyungsoo threw his body over Jongin so Chanyeol couldn't hurt him anymore. Jongin realized what was happening. Kyungsoo was helping him. But why? Jongin had been so mean. So cold. Why was Kyungsoo all of the sudden helping him?

 

“HE HURT MINSEOK!!” Chanyeol yelled at Kyungsoo.

“That doesn't make it okay to hurt him!” Kyungsoo’s voice was shaky. “Just go away!” Chanyeol stood up and slammed the door behind him.

 

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo's voice was soft and calm now. It wasn't shaking anymore and was very steady and soothing. It caused Jongin to burst into tears.

 

“Jongin, it’s okay. Don’t cry,” Kyungsoo grabbed Jongin's arm and helped him stand up. Jongin gripped his Hyung’s sweater tightly as they made their way upstairs. They finally reached their room and Kyungsoo lead Jongin toward his bed to sit down.

“Let me see your face hun, let me see how much you're bleeding,” Kyungsoo grabbed his chin and gently tilted his face up. “Okay, it’s not that bad. It sounded worse than it is,” Kyungsoo recalled the crunching sound.

He walked back downstairs to get some ice for Jongin’s nose. Baekhyun busted through the door just as Kyungsoo started going back up the stairs.

 

“Hey, Kyungie!” Baekhyun chirped. Kyungsoo brought a finger to his lips.

 

“Baekhyun, can you please go check on Minseok?” whispered Kyungsoo.

 

“Yeah, why? Did something happen?” concern coated Baekhyun’s face.

 

“Him, Jongin, and Chanyeol got in a big fight and I just want you to make sure he's alright,” Kyungsoo held out his hand and Baekhyun grabbed it as they went upstairs.

 

Baekhyun grabbed Minseok’s rusty doorknob and tried to open it, but it didn't budge. Baekhyun looked over at Kyungsoo desperately. Kyungsoo sighed as he made his way over to the door and gently knocked on it. There were a few clicks and then the door creaked open.

 

“That easy,” Kyungsoo smiled at Baekhyun.

 

He opened the door to the room he and Jongin shared.

 

“Is Minseok okay?” Jongin asked timidly.

 

“I'm not sure hun, Baekhyun’s in there with him,” Kyungsoo held the ice to Jongin’s bloody nose.

 

“I-I need to apologize. I hurt him, I-”

 

“Now's not the time,” Kyungsoo cut him off. “For now, just get some rest,”

 

Jongin started sobbing again. He hated himself so much. When did he start hating Minseok? When did he start hurting Minseok? The same little boy he had promised to protect, and now he was the one Minseok needed protecting from. When did he start hating Chanyeol? His oldest Hyung that just wanted the best for him. When did he start making him so mad and making his life miserable?

 

When did he and Kyungsoo stop talking? When did Kyungsoo stop reading to him until he fell asleep under trees on warm summer days? When did Kyungsoo stop hugging Jongin before he slipped in bed? When did Kyungsoo stop being the one to stand up for Jongin and protect him?

 

When did Jongin become a stranger to himself?