Chapter 2

Peculiar Children

One year later…

 

Things had only gotten worse for the group of boys. They had been reduced to a group of seven after Luhan hung himself in the closet a month ago.

 

Only Minseok, and Chanyeol were home when it happened. Chanyeol had sent Minseok to fetch Luhan out of the room they shared so they could all go on a walk in the warm spring weather.

Chanyeol heard a horrible scream come from upstairs just as he shoved his keys into his pocket.

 

Chanyeol shot up the stairs and into the room. Minseok was curled in a ball on the floor, shaking and murmuring something. Chanyeol looked towards the closet and felt sick. His throat tightened and his vision blurred. His mouth hung open, gasping for air. Chanyeol slowly stepped further into the room and wrapped his arms around the quivering body’s middle. He slowly lifted the smaller boy off the ground. Minseok clung to Chanyeol like he would die if he didn't. Chanyeol lifted him and pressed his head down so he couldn't look at the morbid scene before him.

 

Chanyeol tried to look away as well. But he couldn't bring himself to. His eyes were locked on the pale body hanging from a thick leather belt.

 

It had been a month since then. All color had drained out of Minseok’s eyes. He didn’t talk anymore and he never had any energy. They all knew that he needed mental help, but who were they going to tell? Mr. Choi didn't care. In fact he had become even worse. Even meaner, and started having equally hideous rich people over who were no nicer than him.

 

Life for the boys was a living hell. They fought often now. Especially Zitao and Sehun. Being the two youngest they had bickered before, mostly to get their Hyung’s attention. But it was never anything more than something close to sibling rivalry. However, their fights were starting to become violent. Sehun would usually start the argument, and Zitao would throw the first punch. They'd beat each other into bloody pulps several times now, and the second they got over one fight, they would start another.

Jongin wasn't getting along with anyone lately. He was getting into trouble with Mr. Choi a lot which ticked Chanyeol off. He and Kyungsoo got into a big fight a week after they had lost Luhan and they had still barely talked to each other. The other day he had yelled at Minseok and made him cry, which made everyone even more mad at him. Jongin wasn't trying to be difficult. He just kept messing up. He kept trying to apologize but no one accepted his apologies. It didn't help that Minseok flinched every time Jongin neared him, as if Jongin beat him. When this happened, they all glared at him as if they really thought Jongin was mean to Minseok. He only yelled at him the one time, why couldn't the kid get over it?!

Jongin also hated how much his and Kyungsoo’s friendship had collapsed. Kyungsoo no longer told him all about the books he'd been reading. Kyungsoo didn't give him goodnight hugs anymore. He kept away from Jongin as much as he could. When he and Jongin were seated together in their room, Kyungsoo would shove his nose in a book and not even acknowledge the other’s existence.

 

Kyungsoo used to be his nicest Hyung. He was always so nice to Jongin, even when he was causing trouble. Jongin would always ask him questions and he would always have an answer. Kyungsoo was almost like Jongin’s mother and has been since Jongin was eight. But Jongin was 14 now, and Kyungsoo was 16. And Kyungsoo didn't seem to want anything to do with Jongin anymore.

 

Jongin felt abandoned and alone, just like he had when his father dropped him off at the orphanage all those years ago.  

 

And as summer turned into fall, his sadness turned into anger.