Tres

Distance

Momo likes jokbal. She really does. Her nose was very sensitive when it came to that one particular food. From far away, probably one mile, she could tell that someone was in the middle of cooking it. But now, her nose wasn’t quite useful. A girl sitting on the bed straight from her seemed very okay for her taste. She’s too cheerful and bright and yet she couldn’t smell anything fishy about it.

“I think the video call really changed you huh?” Momo snickered, “You look like a saint now.”

“Uh-huh. I really give people happiness, just like what I did to her last night.”

“Whoa you sound naughty just there.” The opposite stick her tongue at the remark. “But Tzuyu I’m really glad that you’re all smiley again!”

“Yes!” she threw yet another bright smile across the room, before it slowly turned to a pout. “Although it’s kinda tiring to force it.”

Momo looked at her in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“We broke up.”

xxx

“Yikes Momo! No need to color my morning with another gray or are you trying to make fifty shades of it?”

“ it, Myoui. I’m not in the mood for some trashy jokes of yours.”

“If you say so,” Mina shrugged, “it looks pretty serious this time, though. Are you sure she’s not trolling you or something?”

“No.”

“What if she got affected by me?”

“No.”

“Sure Momo but just how much do you know her anyway?”

“God, no, Mina I– what?”

The basketball player threw her hands in the air in victory. Her point went through Momo’s head was satisfying enough as she rarely won against the manager. It’s her turn now.

“I think she’s hiding something from you.”

“Well I could understand that because I don’t really want to pry into someone’s privacy and stuff. But..”

“But?”

“Gosh, Mina.” She sighed tiredly. “Her girlfriend is my best friend. And of course I can’t just do nothing while something actually happened between them. This is so frustrating.”

“You know, you could always use extra hand for that.”

xxx

Aside from being the ace who put other team’s scoreboard to shame, Mina could be another good use for Momo’s benefit. To be frankly, it’s not her that’s being useful but her girlfriend, Nayeon.

“Is there something I can do to help?”

“Oh no no no, it’s my pleasure.” Momo looked down shyly. She just realized that not only older by age but this woman is also charming and mature by all means. She frowned when Mina’s mocking laughter reached her ears. Dammit Myoui.

“It’s okay manager she’s not gonna bite you or anything. I mean, the only person she likes to bite is, well, me.”

When a hand came to slap that arrogant cheek of the ace, Momo couldn’t be more satisfied. Well, at least it shut her up.

“Pardon the intrusion. Please continue, Momo.”

“Yes, so a bestfriend of mine who’s currently in America formed a long-distance relationship with my roommate. They have been dating for quite a time and rarely fight with each other. But yesterday, to my surprise, they broke up.” Momo felt the bitterness in her tongue at the last part.

“I see.” Nayeon played with her spoon quietly. Her calm and serious demeanor started to scare Momo. “Perhaps it’s safe to assume that this is their first time fighting, correct?”

“Ye- huh?” Momo blinked, Nayeon smirked. “Are you saying that..”

“Their relationship isn’t over yet.”

xxx

Well, I think it’s true that it’s not over yet but Tzuyu is pretty much over everything right now. Momo sighed tiredly. What do I do now?

The manager glanced at the tall brunette who’s staring at the basketball court from the bench.

“Hey hey Tzuyu! What are you doing?”

“Yeah! Why are you not in your uniform?”

“Are you not playing today?”

Tzuyu, not even batting an eye at the cheerleaders, kept staring at the distance. Sometimes she flashed a grin whenever Mina tripped or got knocked by a ball.

“No.” came the late reply.

“Aww! Why?”

“Just when I finally wear my cute socks..”

“Hey! Mine is cuter!”

“Watch it, I know Tzuyu’s preference in color!”

“What did you say?!”

“My skirt is shorter than usual so you two are going down!”

“What?!” both girls screamed, “I’m not gonna lose to you!!”

“Calm down ladies,” Tzuyu finally interrupted, “you all are smokin hot today it’s making the sun cry.”

TZUYU YOU SMOOTH ER!!

xxx

That night, Momo spent her time by either giggling or snorting at her phone. Nayeon unnie was so far the best comedian she ever talked to. Even though her original intention was solely to seek some advice for her bestfriend.

Go steal my girl and don’t ever think about staying alive tomorrow, a text from Mina interrupted her.

Momo smiled weakly, I’ll try

But when a text from Sana popped up on her screen, her smile dropped.

Oh .

She opened it.

Can we talk tmr?

Momo sweated, Uh, sure

Ok.

THIS MINA WHAT SHOULD I DO?!”

“WHAT?! WHY ARE YOU CALLING ME AT THIS HOUR AND STOP SHOUTING- wait, DON’T TELL ME YOU JUST FLIRTED WITH MY GIRL?!”

“NOT IT’S NOT HER GEEZ BUT IT’S ANOTHER GIRL”

“YOU’RE LYIN I KNOW YOU NEVER HAD A GIRL BEFORE NOW SPILL IT WHAT DID YOU TWO TALK ABOUT”

“IT’S, UHM,” her tongue was having a hard time when she saw Tzuyu moving around in her sleep. She couldn’t bring herself to spell the name. Sana was Tzuyu’s bestfriend after all.

“SEE?! YOU CAN’T EVEN SAY IT PROPERLY CAN YOU? I KNEW IT”

“ DON’T YOU DARE!!! Fine. We’re meeting up at the court right now.”

“IT’S ALREADY PAST 10 ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND”

“YES I’M OUT OF MY MIND JUST GET IT OVER WITH ALREADY”

xxx

“I can’t believe you’re actually coming here.”

“Nayeon told me to.” Mina looked like she’s gonna cry, “seriously you are crossing the line now-“

“Mina listen to me.” Momo’s stern voice brought her back. “The one that texted me was Sana.”

The reaction that Mina showed was nothing that Momo had imagined. Her expression turned sour and no hint of joke was found either.

“Are you for real?”

“What do you mean?”

“Sana is... your roommate’s childhood friend right?”

“Childhood?” Momo frowned.

“What? You didn’t know?”

“..no. I mean, I thought they’re just bestfriends since, dunno, highschool?”

The night air gave both of them chills. Clutching her thick leather jacket, Momo gazed at the younger for an answer. She still couldn't tell the meaning behind her unreadable expression. The sound of wind blowing through the trees and falling leaves filled the quiet mess. The two stayed like that for moments until Mina finally broke the silence with a sigh.

“Bestfriends and childhood friends. Even more than that if you want to add it.”

Momo looked at her in horror. "W- What do you mean?"

“Great. And she’s trying to get to your pants now.”

Momo blushed at the words. “Huh? P- Probably?”

“Do you know what that mean?” Mina walked to Momo.

“N- No.”

“Well, it’s true that she’s into you now but,” she put a hand on Momo’s stiff shoulder. “I think there’s always more to that.”

Momo gulped. Every kind of feelings washed over her as the words sunk into her head. Confusion at the most part. 

“I’m fine with it but, I think I should let you know just one thing.” Mina began to walk away.

“…what is it?”

There she came to a halt.

“Sana hates Chaeyoung.”