#4 His Phone Call

Charade [HIATUS]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Daeun massaged her right temple in frustrated manner. She wasn’t in her right mind and she felt like her head was full of unidentified things. The week had been too bizarre for her to understand, so she assumed it was normal having a headache. Some days, Nam Daeun could tolerate headache but today, she couldn’t. She shouldn’t had headache at this moment because of the damned deadline. The report had to be finished at seven, sharp.

Giving up, Daeun plugged off her earphones from her ears and covered her face with her palms. One deep breath, again, another deep breath. After feeling herself calming down because of the breathing exercise, she lifted her face and stared at her laptop. She glanced at the time—it was forty minutes past six and she had only been halfway done. According to her quick calculation, she did the report slower than usual because she had been in the library of Korea University since the last class of the day dismissed. If she worked on it at her usual speed, she was sure she only had to tidy up her report, searching for typos.

She looked around, observing her surrounding as always. The library was still quite full with college students although it was only the first week of college. There even was a girl who had a couple of books stacked near her, and she was typing furiously on her laptop. Daeun narrowed her eyes. That girl was the exact example of what Kim Mingyu said to be bookworm that was a complete nerd. Daeun sneered, not accepting the fact that she was compared to that kind of student.

“Daeun?”

Daeun tore her stare from the girl and stared at a guy with glasses who called her name. He looked surprised to see her, but not the kind of bad surprised. Just merely surprised, with a slight of amusement. He took a seat across from her seat without doubt. The guy must knew her because he did call her with her name and sit comfortably across from her without asking her permission, so Daeun scanned his face to see if she acknowledged the guy. After a quick observation, not a single name came to her mind.

“Uh… Yeah?” she responded slowly, not knowing what to say.

“You don’t remember me?” the guy asked with a hint of disappointment. “But you’re Nam Daeun, right?”

“I am,” Daeun confirmed, narrowing her eyes slightly at him. “Do I know you?”

The guy stared at Daeun for a second, then he merely stated, “So you don’t remember me.”

Daeun felt bad a little bit. Usually, she would remember people’s faces and names because of her habit of observing people, but she didn’t know why, she just couldn’t recall a name for his face. “Sorry, I don’t remember you,” she apologized, but sounded not sorry at all.

The guy took off his round glasses from his face in a rush. “It’s me!” he beamed, hoping Daeun would recognize him without glasses. His smile was widened as he noticed when Daeun finally did recognize him.

“Lee Seokmin?”

Seokmin grinned. “It’s me. Long time no see, Daeun.”

Daeun again narrowed her eyes as she stared at him. “Not my fault if I couldn’t recognize you because you’ve changed a lot since elementary.”

Seokmin laughed, his eye smile was present. “It’s because I lost my baby fat, I guess, and now I’m wearing glasses. It . Well, look at you! Your hair is obviously longer and you even dyed your hair. I didn’t even think Nam Daeun would dye her hair.” He said it in joking tone.

“I dyed it as soon as I graduated from high school,” explained Daeun shortly. “And you are definitely taller. College is so weird, making the world smaller. I keep meeting old acquaintances.”

“Same here,” Seokmin agreed, wearing back his glasses. “I didn’t know you got accepted here.”

“Probably it’s because we haven’t contacted each other for a really long time?” Daeun lifted the left corner of her lips, made a tiny smirk. “We were not exactly friends, either.”

“True, we weren’t close.”

“I thought I was kind of invisible to popular students like you,” she admitted. “You were a transfer students when we were still in grade 5, and we never been in the same class. I was impressed that you managed to beat my popularity in such a short time although I had been at the school longer than you. I really think there were more students who knew your name than mine.”

Seokmin shrugged in a laid back manner. “You didn’t let yourself be the star of the show, but I did.” Daeun suddenly recalled her limited memories about Lee Seokmin. He was funny, comfortable to be around with, really out-going, and polite even to the girls. Unlike many immature boys in late elementary grades, Seokmin treated female students fairly nice. He had a heaven-like voice, so he used to go to the school’s talent show and won the main prize. During the elementary graduation, Seokmin was the representative from the students who sang the school anthem in front of the whole students, teachers, and parents. His performance was flawless, and he really was the star of the show like he just said.

Daeun leaned forward, keeping her eyes on Seokmin’s. “So, how do a popular guy like you know my name, the invisible one?”

“I remember everybody’s names,” Seokmin said proudly. “Look, I may be a popular kid who likes to joke around a lo

Please log in to read the full chapter