My Name

Am I wrong?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 4: My Name  [/CONTENTID1] [CONTENTID2]

 

After 16 years of living, I realize that there’s nothing special about me. I’m your typical Korean girl, who is a 3rd year in school. My grades are exceptional and will get me into a good university. Other than that? Nothing. I’m not athletic; I can barely run for five minutes without stopping. I’m not musically talented; my voice shatters glass whenever I try to sing. I’m not creative; my imagination is limited to reality. Again? There’s nothing special about me.

 

I lived my whole entire life, believing that I’m boring or not capable of extraordinary things. The only thing I have going for me is my brains, but it’s that I’m limited to that. My three closest friends – Jiwon, Jisoo, and Yoongi – are average students, but they never fail to amaze me. Jiwon is athletic and is on the track team; her speeds can match some of the boys in our school. Jisoo is great with fashion and hopes that she can open her own clothing line; not to mention, her looks compete with the most popular girl. Yoongi, although stupid, is musically gifted; he composes his own music and posts covers on SoundCloud. I’m glad that they are my friends… I’m glad that I know such amazing people, but I wonder if they feel the same way about me. 

 

Sighing loudly, I rest my head against the arm of my soda, staring out the window. My eyes mesmerize the scene in front of me. Tiny droplets are pouring from the sky, beating against the glass softly. It’s been raining for two days since Friday night. After Taehyung left me, it poured, and I ended up home, drenched heavily.

 

That night… It was the first time I’ve felt any sort of excitement. Okay, I’ll rephrase that carefully. It was the first time I felt that kind of excitement. It was thrilling, dangerous, but fun. When was the last time I’ve experienced that? I can’t recall.

 

Looking to my right, I read the time on the clock. It’s seven p.m. now… It will be five hours before Mom gets home. She is protective over me and my sister. Although Mom is always at her café, she makes sure we stayed out of harm ways. We are her only family after all.

 

Honestly, I thought of quitting school to help my mom at the café. She refuses though, always telling me how important my eduation is. Maybe that’s why I do well in school because she’s my number one supporter – my motivation. She encouraged Jae-Hwa to follow my example, but my sister cares too much about her social life. I have no idea where she’s going with life. Soon, school ends in three weeks, and my sister will be a graduated. I’m surprised she got into a university, but she has no idea what she wants to do. Not that I’m judging… I don’t know what I want to do either.

 

Ah, speaking of my sister, Jae-Hwa is storming down the stairs with a towel wrapped around her hair. She’s doing her usual beauty routine care, her face covered in a green face mask. I jump back in my chair when her eyes land on me. What does she want this time?

 

“MINA! Go to the convenient store.” Did this order me? “Can you not hear me? I said go to the convenient store.”

 

“You know… saying ‘please’ would be nice occasionally!” I retort, standing up from my chair to meet her. “Is that too hard to ask?” To Jae-Hwa, it is. She rolls her eyes at me and sticks her tongue out mockingly. That hoe….

 

“Would you just go?” Uh no.

 

“What do you need me to buy anyway?” I swear to god if it’s mochi ice-cream, I’m going to rip my hair out. She’s been obsessed with that thing.

 

“Mochi ice-cream.” Cue hair ripping time. She always makes me pay for it! I earn that money by helping Mom out. What does Jae-Hwa do? Nothing because she’s got too much of a social life apparently.

 

“Why can’t you buy it yourself?” I snap while grabbing the ends of my strands. “Do you not have legs?!” Jae-Hwa raises one eyebrows and points to her attire.

 

“I’m busy.  As for you, you’ve been doing nothing!” Well, she’s got a point there….

 

“I don’t want to go! You always make me buy your stuff.” Suddenly, Jae-Hwa places a bunch of cash in my hand, and my eyes shoot wide open at the sight. Does she have a change of heart now?

 

“Hurry up and buy it. Don’t you dare come back with melted ice-cream.”


Nope, she’s just really hungry.


I regret this so much. Why do I always end up following my sister’s demand? It’s not hard to say no against her, yet I always do everything she asks. This is annoying. I need to build a backbone because I do not want to run errands for her ever again. I always run into people from school. Should I remind you that I’m socially awkward?

 

Out of all the people, Sehun and his friends – who I recognize as Chen, Chanyeol, and Kai – are at the convenient store, eating ramen. Honestly, I’m shook because I would have never expected Mr. Pretty, Rich Boy to eat “peasant” food. He looks like your average Korean student, enjoying a m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter