6.5

the c'est la vie club

“Can you please hurry your over? You’re the one who knows how to make a fire,” Wheein whines when Wonwoo doesn’t run over to the other two like she does. Kibum is still trying to finish his bitter beer while Taeyeon is getting another beer for Wonwoo.

 

“Three years as a boy scout and this is how I’m going to be treated,” Wonwoo replies. Taeyeon bursts out in laughter, hearing his voice rumble about being a boy scout. Trying to imagine him a boy scout's uniform is currently on her mind and she thinks that this guy is just too cute. Though it’s not surprising especially after everything he’s done during the trip whether it be from packing the car so that everything fits or fixing the flat tire or even knowing which exit to get off of.

 

“Wow, you were a boy scout?” she asks, and Wonwoo just nods his head because there’s always an adventure out there, but he’s also been trying to count the number of badges that he obtains. It’s too many. He really should have stopped going, but his mother insisted.

 

In order to help the boy scout, Wheein tries to pick some of the best kindling that Wonwoo talked about with her in his bedroom that one time. But it’s all in vain because her kindling is wet which means there won't be any kind of fire. They decide it's probably for the better that they can't make a bonfire. Because who stays at the beach with wet sand, logs, and anything between?

 

Apparently, these people do. Instead of making a fire though, Kibum just takes out his lighter, and they roast marshmallows over Kibum’s lighter. It gets passed around like parts of the s'mores. Kibum complains that his lighter isn’t meant to be a substitute for a fire, but Taeyeon hushes him because no, he shouldn’t really be making the kids feel bad for using his lighter. At least they aren't using his lighter to do drugs and that's more harmful than burnt marshmallows. Kibum lets it go because Taeyeon buys him a Hard Mike’s Lemonade, and the way to his heart will always be by cheap alcohol that tastes really good in the rain. Kibum grins when Taeyeon unveils the holy grail of Hard Mike’s Lemonade. She buys a lot of it and Kibum is blessed. And he knows it's all for him because she’s never been one to drink it. According to her, it tastes too much like grilled meat, but Kibum thinks it's because she’s an alcohol hater in general.

 

Even if it's for Kibum, Wonwoo slides his arms over to the plastic bag full of lemonade, pops one open, takes a big gulp out of it and is amazed by the taste of it. This is the alcohol he dreams about in the middle of the night. The kind that refreshes his every fiber of his being. The kind that subtly helps forget the pains of the past, the moments of weakness, the bad things of his life. He forgets everything that happens with every sip. This is the ending he wants. Between the sips of the colored liqud, he watches as Taeyeon warns Kibum not to drink as much as he should, or when Wheein starts getting Kibum’s lighter all sticky because the marshmallow is attaching itself to his purple lighter, and he can just see Kibum’s face fall as he watches the white goop on his beloved. He watches as he drinks his own ambrosia, admiring this fleeting moment. It's not the alcohol he dreams of, but the purity of the scene that unfolds in front of him.

 

When Wheein finishes her marshmallows, smushes it between chocolate and graham crackers, she finds a bit of heaven. As her eyes glance from one person to another, she remembers why she thinks it’s a good idea to travel with two other strangers and one of her closest friends. Biting into the s’mores, she complains that they’re so boring. Four people are just sitting on two logs, the sand is brown from the rain that just stopped, Wonwoo is still pretty damn wet from whatever he was doing, Kibum is almost drunk, the blushing red color is starting to appear on his face, and Taeyeon is still playing momma bear as Kibum starts getting close to that limit of his. She cracks a grin and when she exchanges a cocky glance with Wonwoo, she sticks out her tongue. It almost begs the boy to do something about her staring. He laughs and Wheein takes a sip from his bottle. The two of them share some kind of world, but she would have never expected for others to join their world.

 

“You’re one of one,” Kibum spits out drunkenly. Kibum hasn't been this happy in a long time, and maybe it's because it's the first time in a long time that he feels like he doesn't have to worry about anything that he gets this kind of drunk, sappy and gushy. But he also hasn’t done math in four years, and he’s sure the fraction equals out to one. At this point, he stops making any kind of sense. It's not terrible though. He finishes one more bottle of Lemonade and has a grin still stuck on his face.

 

“What are you blurting out now?” Taeyeon questions. Her old buddy has never been good at being deep and metaphorical, but when he’s drunk, he tries even harder to like he can. It’s kind of a mess, but with his red face, he just raises one of his fingers.

 

“Y’all are so uniquely different and it’s beautiful, and I wouldn’t want to do this kind of crazy with any other roup,” he slurs. And Taeyeon knows then that he’s a little too drunk to be talking to anyone. She should have known it when he said the word y'all, but she just knows. But she doesn’t stop him as he sways from side to side. His smile looks so childish for once. There’s no purpose in it. He’s just content with himself finally. She watches as he tries once again to put his thoughts into words. “I mean, I thought you two were pretty damn crazy, but holy , you guys have made the last few days so entertaining, and I just-”

 

Cue the waterworks. Drunk Kibum is not something that anyone should have the disgrace to see. He starts crying and Taeyeon has to force him to sit down, and pat his back as he sobs into her shoulder. She really shouldn't have let him drink that last lemonade. But being the girl that she is, she whispers affirmations and when she makes the drinking gesture towards the other two who are clearly distressed, Kibum almost slaps her. It's honestly a disgrace to see Kibum like this, and he'll be regretting it the very next day when he has to drive.

 

“I am not drunk. Nooooo.”

 

But everyone is laughing out loud. It’s melodious and harmonious and wonderful. This is something that no one expects. They don’t expect in a few hours to be laughing like crazy men on the beach in the middle of a storm. They don't expect anyone to get drunk. They don't expect to make these kinds of memories. They don't expect their world to be changed. But it’s perfect. They find peace when the world is tearing everyone apart. It’s something that they all kind of love.