To Tell or Not To Tell?

Blind Revenge, Blind Love

Okay everyone, sorry I didn’t update for a whole week! ToT [bad shineemoon! xD] the homework is coming down like crazyyyyy...D: Anyway to recap, Jonghyun has figured out who Hyeri/Soorin is, but she is still clueless. Jonghyun has also proposed that Hyeri/Soorin goes to SME to look for a job, after she told him about her musical capabilities. So the next paragraph will be about that—sorry it’s rather abrupt and not so well written, but I wanted to get the story moving :P

Also, several of you are quite angry at the doctor >.< I am too. But he's not important in the story, plus Hyeri/Soorin opted for a new start, so he really wasn't obligated to give her too much information. I really like reading all of your comments though, they help me a lot!

------------------------------------------------

“You’re resigning?” Manager Bae frowned. “Why so soon?”

“It just didn’t work out that well for my schedule, so I had to find a different job. I apologize sincerely for the inconvenience.” I bowed meekly. Really I was sorry, but during my impromptu interview this morning Director Kim Youngmin had been generous enough as to give me a job composing for SM. How could I say no to that?

“Well, if it works for you,” Manager Bae consented grudgingly. “But at least come back to visit often, will you?” I bowed many times gratefully.

“Kamsahabnida, kamsahabnida. I will be sure to frequent your café often, Manager-nim!” I called as I left the restaurant. The future was bright, just like the late spring sunshine shining on my cheeks.

----------------------------------------

The next day I awoke early, unable to sleep longer thanks to my newfound excitement. I pulled out the brand-new black lace chiffon dress I had bought yesterday afternoon just for today. Cutting the tags, I slipped into it and wrapped the belt around my waist, pulling here and there for some more crinkle. Tying up my straight black hair into a casual high ponytail, I plucked a few strands out to frame my face. Finally adding a touch of eyeliner on the edge of the lids, I slipped on my heels and headed out the door. It’s going to be a great day, I grinned, stepping downstairs towards the nearby metro station.

Fifteen minutes later, the doors to SM Entertainment’s main lobby slid open in front of me. “Good morning!” I greeted the secretary, pulling out my newly issued employee ID and passing it to her across the counter.

“Ah, new composing assistant Lee Soorin,” she replied good-naturedly. “Director Kim gave me specific instructions for you. He was quite impressed with your musical capabilities, you should have heard him talk about you at yesterday’s employee lunch. If you’ll go up to room 3F”—she circled it on a building map with her pencil—“you’ll meet the artist with whom you’ve been assigned to compose a song for the next couple of weeks. Working at SM can be daunting—I just got here last month after the old secretary took maternity leave—but it’s quite enjoyable. Good luck!”

“Yeh, kamsahabnida,” I smiled. It was like all the stars and planets had lined up suddenly, after three months of being on the brink. As soon as I pushed the “up” button, the elevator dinged immediately and the silvery doors glided open for me to enter.

“Level 1...Level 2...Level 3,” the cool voice of the automated lady sounded, and I exited the elevator into a long, brightly lit hallway. Room 3F was right at the end; the door was open. I walked in and saw Jonghyun spinning around lazily in a chair. His face lit up when he saw me.

“Soorin-ssi!” he smiled. “So I guess you’re my composer? You didn’t tell me you landed a job here.” He frowned in mock disappointment.

“Apparently I am your composer.” I puffed my cheeks playfully and poofed out the air inside. “So what do we do?”

He pulled out a chair and motioned for me to sit down beside him, which I did. “I’m writing the lyrics for one of our tracks in the new album. But they need to be set to music and split into parts, which is what you’ll be doing.”

“Have you finished the lyrics yet?” I asked.

He hesitated before answering. “I wrote out a lot of it the last couple of days. But it’s nowhere near song material.”

“Sooo...what’s your theme? First love? Angst? Heartbreak? Jealousy?”

“It’s not really any of those,” he replied, almost cautiously. “It’s more like thinking you lost someone important and...” He seemed to want to continue, but his voice trailed off.

“Mmmhmm, go on?” I pressed him.

Jonghyun sighed. “I’ll tell you another time.” The troubled air that had settled onto him two nights ago, after I’d told him about my accident, had returned.

“Well how am I supposed to help you compose when you don’t tell me even what the song is about? Aish,” I grumbled. He rolled his eyes like a dumb dino. Albeit a very attractive dumb dino. “Ugh maybe some fresh air will do you good,” I groaned. “Wanna go outside?”

He perked up at this change of subject. “Okay, but if anybody recognizes me, we’re so dead okay?”

“How bad can fangirls be?” I wondered. Jonghyun stared at me incredulously, as if to say, Have you been living in a cave?! “Never mind.” I rolled my eyes as he put on a cap, jacket, and sunglasses.

“Where are we going?” I asked as we walked through the streets.

“It’s a surprise,” he smirked. “But we’re almost there.” I found myself standing beside him at the foot of a great hill.

“Namsan?” I blinked. Jonghyun grinned, handing the cable car guy some money.

“After you,” he gestured, following me into the cabin as it began to move up the hill gently. I sat down facing forward. This felt almost...surreal. I’d known this guy for less than a week. We hadn’t exchanged more than a few words. I didn’t know about him. Was he honest? Selfish? How did he treat girls? Did he believe in love at first sight? Or was he a player out to take advantage of me? I couldn’t answer any of these questions, and yet being with him just felt so...right.

“Why don’t you come look at the view?” Jonghyun scooted over across from me.

“Erm...I don’t like riding backwards,” I admitted. “It makes me dizzy.”

“But I’m here. Don’t worry.” I got up slowly and joined him on the other side, where he slid his arm around me gently, pulling me closer.

“Omo,” I marvelled. “It’s so pretty.” The Seoul skyline stretched out beyond the corners of my vision. I could see the rolling hills beyond the gigantic metropolis meet the horizon. Trees blanketed the landscape anywhere there weren’t buildings. No wonder they called Korea the “Land of the Morning Calm.”

“Yeah,” Jonghyun agreed. “But if you think this is good, wait till we get to the tower.” The car bounced up and down as we crossed the last post before the end station. I hopped out of the cabin, Jonghyun following me. Hordes of tourists and couples were smiling, laughing, and snapping pictures of the view above and below.

“Let’s hike up. Race you to the top!” I called out excitedly as I began to jog up the path.

“Yah~ Wait,” he complained. Hehe, lazy dino. “Mehrong,” I stuck out my tongue as he ran to catch up. “Sumimasen!” he exclaimed and bowed as he ran into a group of elderly Japanese tourists. Giggling, I kept going farther up every time he came close until we finally reached the huge needle-like building. Maybe this is how happy I had been for 18 years before the accident...

“Aish, I’m getting you back later,” Jonghyun grumbled, pushing me gently. “Come on, let’s go look around. There’s a gift shop over there,” he pointed.

“Omo, look how cute this is!” I ran inside and picked up a small keychain hanging in the window. A smiling miniature boy and girl in traditional hanboks posed in front of the hillside. “See, the guy even looks like you!”

Jonghyun frowned, nevertheless trying to suppress a chuckle. “I’m not that short and fat,” he pouted. Gosh, his fake grumpiness was hilarious.

“Well exactly how short and fat are you then?” I just had to say that. “I think I’m buying this,” I teased, setting it in front of the cashier.

“3000 won,” she read, and I gave her the cash. “Kamsahabnida,” I grinned. Turning to Jonghyun, I smirked proudly. “You’re never gonna win.” He started after me, and I dashed outside to a huge fence adorned with thousands of locks.

“Omo, igeh mwoyah?” I gasped. Running to the edge, I picked up a pink heart-shaped lock. Lee Seungmyung <3 Jeon Heejin, 09.09.08. Right below it was another one: Min Seojoo & Kang Chulsoo, forever in love – 10.04.08. “Whoa,” I breathed. Stretching along the entire length of the fence were tens of thousands of these tiny locks; so many, in fact, that the fence was starting to bend.

Jonghyun came over and slid his arm around my waist; I didn’t shrink away. “Are these all...couples?” I asked.

“Mmm,” he nodded. “The tradition is that lovers young and old come up here, write their names on a lock, put it around this fence, and throw the key away to symbolize being committed to each other for eternity.” I noticed several young couples farther down doing exactly what he said. They were smiling, taking pictures, holding hands, kissing...I imagined all the people over the years that had come here and sworn in front of this heavenly view, above the splendid city, to be with each other forever.

“Would you two beautiful lovers like one?” a voice interrupted. We turned around. An elderly peddler selling all varieties of locks in all sorts of colors stood in front of us. “Only 5000 won.”

“Ah, no thanks, I think you misunderstood,” I bowed and waved quickly to the man.

“No no no,” he insisted, approaching closer and studying us for a few moments. “Young lady, you seem to me a very beautiful and intelligent person. Can you not see how much your boyfriend loves you?” He gestured to Jonghyun. “See the way he looks at you? He’s unsure of what to do right now, but in his heart he loves you more than he loves himself.”

I glanced at Jonghyun nervously; he was uncomfortably pretending not to hear the salesman. “I’m sorry sir, we’re not dating nor are we interested. But thank you anyway.” I managed a friendly smile.

“YAH~ Street peddler, get out, you are trespassing!” The cashier from the store came outside and shooed him away. “Young man, tell her the truth before it’s too late!” he called to Jonghyun.

He shuddered and wrinkled his face. “Ugh what a nosy man,” he muttered. “It’s a good thing the shopkeeper came and chased him out.”

“He’s just trying to make a living,” I answered thoughtfully, as we resumed staring out at the city. Neither of us said anything for a few minutes. I wondered what he was thinking.

“Lee Soorin.”

I turned away and looked at him. “Neh?”

Jonghyun kept facing the view. “I have something to tell you.”

“What is it?” I asked.

“Maybe that crazy street dude was right. There’s something I should have told you from the very beginning,” he answered, still not looking my way. “Even though you might not like it.”

How bad could anything he have to tell me be? I wondered as I admired his square jawline and fringed hair fluttering ever so slightly in the breeze. “Malhaebwa.”

Jonghyun finally turned to face me, with a hard and stiff expression. But it melted away as soon as our eyes met, and an unfathomable mix of what seemed like passion, pain, and caring replaced it. I could feel his warm breath dance on my nose and face, only inches away from his.

“Saranghae,” he said huskily, pulling me in tight and closing the gap between our lips.

--------------------------------------

AHHHH finally new update finished! :D I'm gonna try really hard to balance new chapters and my increasing music/homework load ^_^ And, did you all catch on to what Jonghyun really wanted to tell Hyeri/Soorin in the very last scene before his courage melted? o.O

I love you readers/commenters/subbers who have been sticking out this story with me <3 how is everyone's Thanksgiving weekend, for those in the US?