Fresh Start

Blind Revenge, Blind Love

Ok gtg to AP physics class soon but here's an update! Sorry for using the ages-old amnesia storyline -___- but I will make it different from the cliched soap operas kk? LOVE YOU READERS KEEP COMMENTING AND SUBBING <3

----------------------------------------------------------

“Ahh,” I breathed, plopping on the comfy bed in the apartment which the hospital counselors had found for me. I took a look at the documents showing my new identity. Lee Soorin, international age 18. Place of birth: Seoul, South Korea. Now the only question was, how to find a job?

I went downstairs and looked in the street for any business that happened to be hiring. Hopefully one that wouldn’t delve too deep into my personal background. I spotted a sign in a café window: New waitress needed, apply inside. It wasn’t perfect, but it would do.

“May I speak to the manager about the new position?” I asked the cashier inside. She pointed me to a door behind the counter. “Just knock and wait there,” she answered. I followed her instructions, and after a few seconds a middle-aged man came to meet me.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” I bowed. “I’m Lee Soorin and I have come to apply for the new waitress position advertised in your window outside.”

“Ah, good. Come with me. I am the café’s manager, Bae Kyungsan. We’re just looking for someone who can work from 4pm to 10pm, seven days a week. You’ll just be taking and serving orders along with mixing drinks. Will you be able to do that?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good.” He brought out a contract. “The base pay is 1.5 million won per month [~US$1500], but the tips here are quite generous. You can ask any of the waitresses here,” he said, gesturing towards them. “If you’ll just fill out the information here and stamp your print for signature, you can start working tonight. There is no specific uniform, but just make sure you wear a black shirt and black shorts or skirt.”

I did as he told me. “Thank you. I’ll be here tonight, then.” I stood up and bowed again before leaving. Whew, at least I had a job now.

-------------------------------------------

I came back to my apartment with all of the new things I’d bought: clothes, shoes, groceries, and other randomness to start my life again. I cut the tags on a new pair of black shorts and black top, then put them on along with my new black heels. Finally I tied my hair into a high pony. Ready, Soorin, I exhaled, and went downstairs to the café.

As the dinner hours neared, customers began to trickle in. I quickly settled into a rhythm: take the order, mix some drinks, serve. “Gosh I’m tired,” I found myself thinking at around 9pm. “How do these waitresses work the whole time? The next hour is gonna feel so long.” I tried to sneak into the back to sit down, when another party came in. Sigh. This one was a group of four rowdy guys. Oh brother.

“May I get you something to drink?” I asked, putting on my newly perfected fake smile.

One of the men at the table whistled loudly. I noticed the others trail their eyes up my body while glancing at each other and nodding approvingly. Ewww creepy creepy creepy, I frowned, but then quickly resumed the fake smile.

“Maybe you’d like to join us for a few drinks...and something more, sugar?” the one who whistled replied.

“No thanks,” I answered coolly. “I’m just here to take your order.”

“Awww, now don’t be like that,” he frowned in fake disappointment.

I crossed my arms. “If you’re not going to order anything, please leave. You’re taking up room for other customers.”

The man continued unfazed. How very disgusting. “The name’s Kang Dojoon.” He reached his hand and brushed it up my bare thigh. I cringed and stepped backward. “Don’t worry, I’ll be nice.”

Ugh no one was even paying any attention. How exactly was I going to kick him out? “Please, if you don’t leave me alone, I’m going to have to notify the manager,” I said.

“Not before you give me your number,” Dojoon answered, standing up to face me. He was at least a head taller.

“Didn’t you hear her the first time?” demanded an irritated male voice behind me. “She told you to leave.”

Mwoh? Who said that? “Come on guys, let’s go somewhere more fun,” Dojoon sulked, his friends joining him and going to the exit.

I whirled around to see who had helped save me from that awkward situation. He was about three or four inches taller than me, with coffee brown eyes and dark slightly reddish-brown hair swept to the side. I noticed his muscular arms and body; he obviously worked out regularly.

In short, he was hot.

I quickly jerked my gaze away from his pants and into his eyes. “K-kamsahabnida,” I bowed, stuttering. My face flushed pink and warm.

I expected him to just nod, or say a few words at the most, then return to his table. But the weirdest expression seized his face as I raised my head back up to look at him. He stared at me with—I couldn’t tell—shock? Fright? Anguish? Why bother to help me then, if you’re gonna just be a chicken about it? “You—are you—you look so much like H—” He stopped, clearly flustered. “Stop it, she’s gone,” I heard him mutter.Who’s gone?Who did I remind him of? Huh. “Choeseonghabnida,” he bowed, embarrassed.

“Gwaenchanha,” I smiled. “Have you been seated already, sir?” He shook his head. “There’s a table by the window in the corner over there.” I pointed to a small table with two chairs.

“Kamsahabnida,” he nodded, sitting down.

“Can I get you anything to drink? Coffee or soju, maybe? Or would you like something to eat as well?” Gahh stop blabbering Soorin. I had already served close to fifty or so customers tonight. Why was I getting all nervous about this one?

“Ahh, just a soju, please,” he answered.

“Okay,” I noted, and went to go get his drink. “Here you are, sir.” I set the bottle and glass down on the table. “Let me know if you need anything else.”

“Actually—” he began, just as I was about to go.

“Yes?” I turned around to face him again. Gosh he was really attractive. I felt myself wanting to sweat just being near him. Eww that’s disgusting. Go splash some cold water on your face or you’ll go insane, I told myself.

“I haven’t seen you working here before. What’s your name?”

The hottie was asking for my name?! Wait I had to remember my name...Soo...Soojin? Sorin? Oh yeah—“Soorin. Lee Soorin,” I answered. For a fraction of a second, I could have sworn I saw disappointment cross the guy’s face. But as soon as I blinked, it was gone.

“I’m Kim Jonghyun,” he said. “Did you just start working here today?”

“Yes,” I nodded. He motioned for me to take a seat; I obeyed. “Do you come here alone often?” WOW SOORIN YOU BABO. A nice attractive gentlemanly guy like him probably has a girlfriend he loves. If anything he probably had a fight with her and that’s why he’s here alone. Stupid stupid stupid.

He sighed. “Drinking helps me get rid of my problems, if only temporarily.”

Ugh I knew it. He did fight with his girlfriend. Babo Soorin, babo. “What did you two fight about?” I wondered aloud.

Jonghyun looked at me quizzically. “I never said I had a fight. No, it’s much worse than that.” He shifted in his chair. “Tell me about you. What did you do before coming to work here?”

What a question. “To be honest, I have no idea,” I admitted.

He gaped. “Wae-yo?”

I thought and chose my words carefully. How best to explain this without sounding like a freak?

“Hey, new girl. Soomin or whatever. Get back to work, you still have till ten o’clock.” A pissy waitress yelled at me from the bar.

“Neh,” I muttered, getting up and pushing the chair in. “I guess I’ll talk to you later, Jonghyun...if I see you again?” I hesitated to even think about that.

“Yeah,” he smiled. “Here, put your number in.” He took out a phone and handed it to me. It had a little dinosaur charm. Awww how cute. My fingers trembled as I keyed in my new phone number. “Here you go,” I said shyly, placing the phone on the table. “Have a good night.”

As soon as he turned his head I dashed into the back room and splashed loads of cold water on my face. He just asked me for my number. Omo omo omo.