What the future holds

Ray of Hope

A few months after the last chapter left off, after they have finished their Asian and domestic tours*

 

Minwoo sat at the control board in the recording studio. He had been there most of the day, trying to work on some songs for his upcoming solo album. The tour went well and ended happily for everyone, even if they were a bit exhausted since they promoted Touch and then immediately went into concert mode. He noticed that there were initially stressful moments between Eric and Hyesung, especially once they started taking care of the divorce paperwork. Hyesung was cold about the whole process and this made Eric react in ways the other had never expected of him. He started staying out late, drinking in dive bars. More than once Minwoo had been called out in the middle of the night to pick him up and take him home. He was still living in the house he had shared with his now ex-husband. Hyesung had taken every trace that he had ever lived there with when he had moved out, doing it in the middle of the night. It was about three weeks ago that everything had exploded and changed his life.

*Three week earlier*

Three weeks after the divorce was final Eric had come over to have dinner and drink with Minwoo and Syung had shown up with a moving truck and pretty damn near emptied the place out. When Minwoo had taken Eric home the next day, he was just about to pull out of the driveway when he heard Eric started screaming in a frightening manner. The car left in park, Minwoo had leapt from the car and ran inside. He found Eric on his knees in the middle of the nearly empty living room. The walls had been stripped of all the pictures and there was a pale spot on the carpet where the couch they had picked out together shortly after their engagement had stood. The rest of the stuff in the room was overturned and the television had been ripped from the wall and lay broken on the floor. The sight had upset Eric so much he dropped where he stood.

He had pulled Eric up off the floor and led him back out to the car and buckled him in and left him there after he told him that he would get a few things and be right back. Eric had looked at him with a blank look and only nodded, his Adam’s apple bobbing rapidly as he swallowed fast to keep from crying.

Minwoo walked back into the house and went to the bedroom. All the furniture was gone and Eric’s clothes were scattered everywhere. Minwoo cursed under his breath as he picked through and got together enough clothes to last Eric a week or so. He found a duffle bag and stuffed them into it. He found another bag and headed towards the bathroom, which reeked of cologne.

He saw why as soon as he walked in; all of Eric’s toiletries had been dumped out in the tub and sink and his cologne bottles had been dashed to the floor and lay shattered. He dropped the bag and hurried out, grabbing the duffle bag and an armful of shoes before leaving the house completely, making sure to lock the door behind him. Outside Eric stood beside the car, smoking, his eyes red and swollen. Minwoo walked to him slowly, he wanted to take him into his arms, but he went and put Eric’s stuff in the backseat and joined him, lighting his cigarette without a word. It always unsettled him to see his best friend so completely stripped bare by his emotions and as a result, he never knew how to deal with it. They stood and smoked silently, Eric’s eyes examined the ground at his feet like it was the most interesting thing he’d ever seen. Minwoo finished his cigarette and stubbed it out on the driveway before he spoke, his voice quiet, he tried no to startle Eric.

“So…….I think you should stay with me for a while. The guys and I will come pick up whatever you want from the house but I don’t think you should come back here. We can get a company to come in and clean and get it ready to sell, if that’s what you want I mean. You are welcome to stay with me as long as you need.”

In his heart he wanted to tell him that he didn’t ever have to leave but he needed to let Eric make that choice. He couldn’t take advantage of him when he was vulnerable. After the night Syung had left Eric and he had shown up at his door and their talk the next morning, they had been awkward in their friendship at first but it was slowly back to normal. He had caught Eric, his eyes glued to Minwoo across the room more than once and he kept hopeful that Eric would come to him and tell him that he was ready to love him. This incident today might set his emotional progress back and he would have to wait even longer but Eric was worth it and he would show him that, if and when Eric was truly ready. He stood, his hands shoved in his pockets, and waited for Eric to respond.

Eric took a drag, the smoke obscured his face for a moment and when it cleared and he looked up, his face was twisted with emotions. His voice was low and harsh when he replied.

“None of it…..I want nothing that is left here. Sell it, donate the money and help people that really need it. I’ll start over…..a clean slate. It’s taken me this long to get where I am now and I won’t this place keep me from moving on. He’s taken what he wants, erased the memories we shared here, seeing what he did here made me realize that he never did love me.” His voice was stronger when he finished speaking and he was relaxed against the car, instead of the stiff posture he had held when Minwoo had come outside. He turned to the shorter man who stood by him, Minwoo had anxiety written on his face and he had crossed his arms over his broad chest.

“Minwoo, thank you for offering to let me stay with you, none of the others completely understand what Hyesung leaving has done to me. You have seen me at my worst and the fact that you love me makes me want to stay close to you. I’ve had time to think lately about what you said to me and I want to try.”

Minwoo almost crumpled to the ground, his relief was obvious and his eyes widened as he absorbed the words that Eric had said.

“You mean it?” He whispered as he reached out and touched Eric’s arm, he could feel the warmth of his body through the heavy sweater he wore. “I want you to be sure, I don’t want to be a rebound. And we will do this right, go on dates and see how it goes before we decide for sure.” His heart raced as he spoke, he looked at Eric, his eyes searched the others face. “I want this more than anything but if it doesn’t work, I’ll always be your friend.”

Eric trembled and put his hand on Minwoo’s arm and pulled his body close. He looked into his face, one hand came up and cupped his cheek and he slowly brought his lips to Minwoo’s. He sighed softly as he kissed him, and wrapped his arm around Minwoo’s waist, their chests pressed together. Both hearts beat wildly as their lips caressed and each had their eyes wide open and looked into the others. This kiss went on until both pulled way, they panted hard and Minwoo placed his hand on Eric’s chest and smiled at him.

“I think that this is a good start. Let’s get out of here. It’s dinner time and I’m starved. Starting today, cooking is your job. You gotta pay rent somehow.” Eric laughed and released Minwoo.

“Okay roomie. You got a deal.” He ruffled Minwoo’s hair gently and stepped away from him, his eyes traveled to the house behind him as he opened the car and got back inside and waited for Minwoo.

Minwoo stood there with smile on his face for a moment, one hand touched his lips, he could still feel Eric’s lips on his own. He laughed softly and went to get in the car and started it and pulled out of the driveway. Eric looked at him and smiled and flipped the house off as they drove past it. His life was going to change and the man beside him would be a part of it, one way or another, he was sure of that.

*Back in the studio, present day and time*

Minwoo was almost done mixing some tracks when he heard the door open. He looked up and a smile lit up his whole face when he saw who it was.

“Eric! You’re early, I’m not done with this yet.” He saved his progress and stood up, stretched and walked over to Eric, who stood there, dressed in a nice pair of jeans and a sky blue dress shirt with a cardigan in a slightly darker shade of blue. He was there to meet Minwoo so that they could go on their first date ever. Both have been busy working and getting to know each other better since that day outside the house and this was the first chance they had. Sure they had been spending more time together but it’s not the same as a real date, and Minwoo had insisted on that.

“Don’t care if it’s not done, you’re coming with me, Mr. Lee.” Eric laughed and pulled Minwoo out of the room, he protested that he wasn’t dressed for a date but Eric ignored him and kept going. Despite his protests he was excited and willing to go anywhere Eric lead him, on this date and in life. He was happier than he’d been in a long time and in a way he had Hyesung to thank for it……although he’d never tell him that.