The Next Day

Ray of Hope

(a/n WOW I just saw this hit 200 votes....202 to be exact!! I really hope you enjoy the last chapter of Ray Of Hope)

The next morning Minwoo woke up and laid in bed watching Eric sleep. He still couldn’t believe last night happened. It had taken everything he had not to push things further with the man he’s been in love with for as long as he can remember. But Eric was vulnerable last night and will be for some time. The most Minwoo will offer him is friendship until he can sense that Eric is ready for more. Quietly he slipped from the bed, Eric still asleep, and went to make coffee and something easy for breakfast. He still needed to figure out what to say to Eric when they sat down and talked about what happened last night.

 

Eric was on the edge of asleep and awake when he smelled the strong fragrance of coffee. He opened his eyes and looked around. He instantly remembered what happened last night and pulled the cover over his head and hid, embarrassed of the way he threw himself at Minwoo, in an attempt to seek comfort. He also remembered the words Minwoo said to him, they echoed in his sleep fogged brain.

“I want to be more than a comfort to you. I want you to want me the way I have wanted you all these years.”

When Minwoo said that, Eric was shocked. He never imagined that his best friend would feel that way about him. And to have had those feelings for this long and keep them inside must have eaten away at him, especially since Eric married Hyesung and Minwoo was his best man that day. He got out of bed and went to the bathroom and splashed some water on his face and looked into the mirror and saw that his eyes were still swollen from all the crying he did last night. After he dried his face off he left the bedroom and went out to find Minwoo.

He found him in the kitchen, two mugs of coffee on the table and his friend stood at the stove, frying eggs and bacon. The toaster popped up two slices of toast and Minwoo turned to take them out, he sighted Eric and smiled nervously. He set the toast on a plate, put in two more slices of bread and pushed them down before he walked to the table and picked up one coffee and walked over to hand it to Eric.

“Morning Eric. I hope you were able to get some sleep last night.” He grabbed his own coffee and went back to the stove to finish cooking. He plated the food and grabbed the second set of toast and went and sat at the table.

“Come sit down and eat while it’s still hot.” He smiled at Eric. Awkwardly Eric sat down and sipped his coffee, his eyes intent on the hot steaming liquid in the mug. He set it down and picked his fork up and tapped it on the edge of his plate before speaking.

“Ummmm…..Minwoo…..about last night---“, he spoke quietly before Minwoo cut him off gently.

“Eric, let’s eat first, okay? Then we can talk.” He smiled and picked his fork up and started eating. Eric nodded and did the same, his eyes occasionally strayed to Minwoo and watched his mouth as he ate, his heart thumped loudly as he watched the lips he had kissed just last night. They ate quietly and finished quickly. Minwoo stood and took their plates to the sink and refilled their coffee.

“Let’s go out to the patio. I could use a smoke.” He went and got his jacket and slipped it over the tank top and sweats he’d slept in. Eric stood quickly and did the same, both of them slipped their shoes on and headed outside.

Outside Minwoo lit two cigarettes and handed one to Eric, who took it gratefully and took a long drag and sighed as the nicotine hit his lungs. He felt a little calmer but then he looked at Minwoo, who leaned against the house beside him. The sight made his heart skip and he almost stubbed the cigarette and went back inside. Minwoo smiled at him and chuckled softly.

“Ya Eric, I’m still me. Still Special Stupid, still one of your best friends. If you act weird, my feels will be hurt.”

There was a cautiousness in his eyes as he watched Eric. All these years he had kept his feelings locked away, scared of Eric’s reaction. He still remembered the day Eric and Hyesung had announced they had started dating and also the way he felt as he watched Eric and Hyesung exchange vows, a private ceremony just for the members and their families. He was happy for his friends but a part of him died inside a little and he wanted to object and spill out his heart right then and there but the look of joy on Eric’s face kept him from doing it. When Eric had shown up last night in tears he was shocked to hear what he had to say, he never imagined that Hyesung could be so cruel. And then when Eric kissed him, his heart had soared and he thought maybe Eric felt the same. He had comforted him the best way he knew how but now it was time to talk. He took a drag, followed by a deep breath and spoke.

“I can’t begin to tell you how I felt last night when you kissed me. All the years I waited to be in that situation. I could have continued and given you the comfort you were seeking but I had to be true to my heart. Eric Mun, I’ve loved you since I can remember. When we were kids, training together, performing together, getting in trouble together. As young men, working hard to stay together as Shinhwa, which I still can’t thank you enough for, watching our popularity grow and then knowing that we would be apart for 4 years to do our military service. The way you brought us all together again, the way we formed Shinhwa Company and made our way into the entertainment world as 6 again. The day you and Hyesung announced you were dating, the day you told us you were engaged and when you asked me to be your best man. Those days, I died inside a little but I kept a smile because I had no right, you were never mine to begin with.” He lit another cigarette as he smoked, his hands shook and he smiled ruefully at Eric, who has stayed silent so far and listened as his best friend poured his heart out. Minwoo took another deep breath and continued.

“I’m sorry that things didn’t work out the way you planned, but part of me is glad that I finally got a chance to tell you how I felt. And I also hope that you will eventually feel the same as I do but if you don’t that’s okay too. Being able to let the weight of my love off my shoulders feels amazing. I feel more free than I have in a long time.” He smiled at Eric and let him know it was his turn to speak. Eric kicked the ground at his feet, his mind churned as he absorbed everything Minwoo had said to him. He stubbed his cigarette out and lit another, the flame reflecting in his shiny eyes, Minwoo’s words had opened up his emotions.

 

“Minbong, I had no idea you felt that way all these years. I wish you had said something. I feel bad that you had to carry that all alone. All the pain I’ve put you through because I didn’t know, I feel so guilty.” He looked down and lifting his free hand, he used his fingertips to swipe away a tear that had escaped.

“Hyesung……he was easy. He gave his love so freely, or so I thought. He was so shy and that made me chase him, I wanted to be the only one he looked at. It was always easy to be around you; you never hide your feelings. I was comfortable with you and that was enough for me. That is why I came here last night, because I knew that you would be the one to comfort me.” He bit his lip nervously before continuing. “I had hoped that you would help me wash away the feelings of hurt that I was feeling and when you broke off the kiss, I felt like I would die. I needed you and you didn’t want me, at least that is what I thought. When you spoke, I felt my heart skip and I was in shock. How did you manage to hide it all these years? I know I wouldn’t be able to.” He finished his cigarette and moved closer to Minwoo. Their hands touched and Eric gasped as Minwoo slipped his cold fingers through his own and squeezed gently.

“Eric, I will always be here for you. Nothing has changed, at least I know it hasn’t for me. Loving you is something I’ve always done and it’s something I will always do, even if you—“, Minwoo was silenced by Eric’s lips against his and he placed his hand on Eric’s chest and he pushed him back gently, even though his whole body cried out for more. “Eric, you don’t have to do that. I don’t want you to feel obligated to me. If you want this, then wait a little bit, I want your love more than anything but I want you to be sure.” He smiled at Eric and squeezed his hand again. Eric took a deep breath and nodded. “You’re right, I just wanted to feel what I felt when I kissed you last night again. I’ve never felt that when I kissed someone before. It was like I could feel your heart, so honest and true.” He spoke in a whisper, his eyes trained on the ground. Minwoo’s heart skipped a beat and he released Eric’s hand and moved to stand in front of him and lifted his chin and waited for Eric to look at him.

“Hey now, don’t do that. You don’t have to hide from me.” His eyes grew soft and he placed his hands on Eric’s face and cradled it gently. “I’ll give you what you want……for now. but next time you kiss me, I hope your heart is in the right place.” With this he pulled Eric’s face to his and pressed his lips against Eric’s, who’s were trembling softly. He put his all into the kiss, his tongue seeking entrance into Eric’s mouth and softly when granted. He could feel Eric relaxing and leaning into the kiss, which made Minwoo’s heart race. Eric moaned softly as well and his arms went around Minwoo’s waist and held him tight. Eric broke the kiss and lifted his chin and rested it on the top of Minwoo’s head.

“Thank you, Minbongie”, he whispered. “Thank you for showing me your love. I want to feel a love so strong it lasts for many many years and I will try and see if my heart will feel the same.”

Minwoo nodded, unable to speak, his face pressed to Eric as tears roll down his face. He smiled and pulled away.

“Let’s get back inside, I’m freezing my balls off out here.” With a laugh he ran inside and left Eric outside, still in wonder at the feeling he felt when Minwoo kissed him. He shook his head and ran in after him.

“Wait for me, I’m cold too!!”