PLAYING WITH FIRE

"Low-key" Crushing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dara woke up with a hand her hair and a pair of warm brown eyes looking at her. Out of habit, she flinched and muttered a breathless “oh my god” at the sight of Kwon Jiyong. However, she found herself relaxing at the sound of his soft chuckle. She smiled and brought her face back to his chest, screaming inaudibly to herself. Jiyong laughed silently, brushing his hair and then gazing up at the ceiling with his other arm still wrapped securely on her waist.

 

Comfortable silence enveloped the already quiet studio. Jiyong woke up a couple of minutes earlier and he saw from his phone that it was already 10 in the morning. He admits that a part of his body grew numb because of Dara’s weight but he also admits that he’d rather lose the circulation of his blood than wake her up. She looked so small and peaceful that he didn’t have the heart to move, scared that it might wake her up.

 

He felt her arms wrapping around his body for a hug as she giggled on his chest. He smiled. His spare hand was slightly raised in the air, not exactly knowing if it had the permission to hug her back. After a few seconds of stalling in his head, Dara finally looked up at him and gave him a bright grin, her eyes showing the same happiness as her lips. He cursed inwardly to himself and lightly pulled her up to him so that he could embrace her and rest his head on the crook of her neck. Dara shied away but that only made his hold tighter. Jiyong’s eyes were unreadable but when he noticed the redness on the tips of her ear, his face contorted into something like agony. He closed his eyes shut and leaned his temple with hers.

 

“So…” He heard Dara murmur. She moved her head making him feel the slight brush of her lips on his cheek.

 

“Hey.”

 

His gruff morning voice sent tingles down her spine and she squirmed with giddy excitement. He could feel her feet hit his legs since she was currently moving them up and down, like a puppy wagging its tail at the sight of their owner. His heart pounded at every little movement she made. His brain was in conflict and chaos.

 

“Did you sleep alright?” he asked.

 

She nodded happily, her shining eyes blinking up at him. “Did you?”

 

He couldn’t feel half of his body anymore since it was so numb.

 

“Yeah.” he smiled.

 

After another few minutes of wordless hugging, Dara crawled away and Jiyong’s arteries and veins finally geared back to life. Sitting at the far end of the sofa, the girl distractedly fixed her hair and looked around the room. He sat himself up and looked at her profile with a small smile on his face. He took out his phone and absentmindedly pushed some buttons. He then steadied his hand just when she finally looked up at him.

 

*SNAP*

 

She blinked and then her face suddenly contorted into horror. She quickly hid her face behind her hands, swaying sideways in a whiny manner. She knew how her eyes get puffy when she wakes up from deep sleep. If he was planning to take a photo of her then he should’ve at least give him a few minutes to look supermodel ready. Only the best for my husband. But now he has a permanent picture of her copying that stupid marshmallow Michelin man because of her puffiness. Wait, maybe he’ll think my puffiness is actually ‘fluffiness’ and it’ll make him want to cuddle me more!!!!

 

It was nice that she always turns something negative into a positive… even though it was completely ridiculous.

 

While she was in the middle of psyching herself up, Jiyong slipped his arm on her shoulder and raised the other arm in front of them. “Look up.” He whispered.

 

She did.

 

*SNAP*

 

He chuckled and pressed a button so that they could see the photo. Jiyong still had his arm on her shoulder and Dara could just look at his profile with a rather confused amazement and adoration. She watched as he smiled wide at his phone and she couldn’t will herself to look away. This thing going on between them… this unlabelled thing was just too surreal and amazing. She felt like she was seeing colors for the first time. Everything had become overwhelmingly beautiful.

 

Jiyong continued to stare at his phone, his grin turning into a defeated-looking smile. He was beaming in the picture, even his eyes were shining with uninhibited bliss. On the other hand, Dara looked at the camera with a surprised expression and a totally unaware face. She looked small and fragile compared to him. His fickle mind continued to rant about choosing the wrong decision. He needed more reasons to step away from this thing going on between them.

 

“Kwon Jiyong.”

 

He turned to be met by her reluctant lips. She moved away as soon as their mouths touched but then he pulled her by the nape and urged for a better kiss, a kiss that they wouldn’t get enough of. She gasped at his eagerness and he suppressed her shock by the smooth glide of his tender lips. Clutching the fabric of his shirt, she closed her eyes, finally moving to meet his touch. His fingertips crept up to her earlobe and he massaged it, eliciting a slight squirm. The frigid tips of his fingers trailed up to the top of her ear. He grunted at her boldness as she got more intense.

 

He opened his eyes to see her flaming red ears and cheeks. They pulled away with a loud “pop” and Jiyong found himself chuckling on the corner of . Dara looked up at him wondrously. Both of their chests were still heaving from what she believes to be her second hot make out session with the man himself. Dara giggled under him out of habit of his presence and s her arms around him again. Heavenly like last time, she smiled to herself.

 

“I really should’ve taken a picture of that.” Jiyong hissed jokingly, wrapping his own arms around her.

 

Dara’s heart leaped at his contact. Hell, her heart leaped every time he took a breath. Was it finally happening? After all these years in the background, was she finally living her fantasies? She couldn’t help but feel giddy at the thought. If it was gonna be like this then I would’ve have done this when we’re still fetuses! , I don’t even have the need to piss myself or vomit! This breakthrough was truly astounding. She wondered what made her feel so comfortable when just over a month ago she couldn’t even look at him directly in the eye. Now, she was willingly kissing him! And he was willingly kissing her back!

 

Jiyong suddenly stood up. For a moment, Dara thought that he was just gonna leave her high and dry but then he settled himself behind her and rested his arms on her shoulders, the picture of them from earlier just staring at her. She looked back at him confusedly but he just smiled.

 

“Do you have an IG account?” he drawled.

 

Dara pursed her lips in thought and lightly shook her head. But she does use Bom and Chaerin’s accounts to stalk his private profile. His lips formed a cute pout and she just couldn’t help herself. She gave him a quick peck, widened her eyes at the sudden realization of her irrationality, and then sunk further into his chest like the shy baby that she was. He slightly tipped his head up as he bit his lip, feeling extremely energized.

 

“I… uhh… I-I didn’t… oh me—NOT WHAT I MEANT! OMIGOSH THAT WAS SO NOT WHAT I MEANT. PLEASE DON’T TAKE IT THE WRONG WAY!!!”

 

He laughed, pushing his cheek to hers. “What did you mean then?”

 

He felt her tense and look across the room for something, probably an excuse. After a few more seconds, she let out a big breath and repeatedly hit her head on his chest. “At least buy me dinner first.” She mumbled, and he burst out laughing again. He nodded in understanding, saying that he’ll take note, and little Dara got even more bashful. He gave her a tight back hug, squeezing all the cuteness out of her and he was replied with a giggle. He smiled.

 

“I was gonna tag you.” He said. “On Instagram, I mean.”

 

Dara gulped, her eyes bulging yet again. “O-on your Instagra-am? M-me? What a-about y-your fans—”

 

“Relax,” he assured. “I’m putting it up on my private one. No one there is gonna leak it out.”

 

She just continued to stare at his phone, mute and unblinking. She knew all too well why he had to make two accounts. She remembered back then when he posted a picture of him and his girlfriend from way back and the media and his fans blew it out of proportion. The girl was caught in heavy criticism from sasaengs as well as the flooding of media and paparazzi. He didn’t post anymore pictures of her after that and they eventually broke off but the buzz of a girl—even if they’re not romantically involved with him—on his pictures would always cause a stir within the public. He was a celebrity now and with that, he only has little to no privacy at all. This was a reason why Jiyong rarely goes out in the public these past few years.

 

Dara watched him try out different filters on their photo. His chin was tucked on her shoulder, his cheek touching hers. She couldn’t help the raging swarm of butterflies on her stomach. Her dream, the dream that she thought she would only see with closed eyes, was happening right before her with wide-eyes and shy fiddling hands. In her mind she was already scrambling for more plans of getting him to tell her that he liked her back. She figured that she had to bake a hundred more muffins for him to realize that she’d make a perfect wife and then he’ll tell me that he loves me, and I’ll be like ‘TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH’, and then he’ll propose to me with the whole world watching so that they could on it, and then we’ll have our wedding bash, and then he’ll take me under the glistening moonlight with his sweaty, glistening body, and then we’ll have Kwon babies that smell like fruit!!!!!!!!

 

cut me off my story-telling.

 

Don’t ruin my spotlight, old hag.

 

I put up with this every time. Feel pity for me.

 

*SIGH*

 

Anyways…

 

“Do you want us to make you an Instagram?” he asked.

 

U-US? As in me-and-him US? We’re an ‘us’ now????? She almost choked on her giddy saliva. “Why do you want me to have an account so bad?” her eyes twinkled with adoring amusement.

 

He shrugged. “So you can follow me and I’ll follow you.” Jesus Christ, Dara already does that in real life. Literally. “And I’ll tag you and everything,” he suddenly embraced her tight making her release a surprised giggle. He smiled at the crown of her head. “And I get to call dibs.”

 

Now she really choked. “WHAT?!”

 

Jiyong laughed and rested his face on her hair. “There’s something about you, Dara.” He confessed. “You’re… wonderfully refreshing that I can’t help… not to like you.”

 

“Oh just admit that you finally like me, Kwon Jiyong.” Dara turned to make a joking scowl at him. “Just admit that you got entranced by my woos~”

 

He nodded, not removing his eyes from her face. “But I’m not gonna admit to anything.”

 

“You just nodded!” she pointed accusingly.

 

“Yes but,” he suddenly leaned dangerously close to her making her cheeks get pinker and her ears even redder. “Would you rather I show it or say it?” He whispered teasingly.

 

“I… I… uhmmm… Jesus freaking Christ...” he chuckled as Dara looked away to give her cheeks a light slap. She turned back. “Show it.” It sounded more of a question with how high-pitched she said it.

 

Jiyong did a low hum and the sound sent tingles down her spine. He leaned down to meet her when the door banged open ceremoniously. It seemed like they haven’t learned their lesson from when Papa YG saw them on the elevator because they just stayed in place and froze, hoping that they won’t notice them if they didn’t move.

 

It was Bom, BIGBANG, and a fuming Papa.

 

“What. The. HELL. Is. Going. On. In. Here?” Hyunsuk’s voice thundered in the studio. It wasn’t the same yelling voice that they would chuckle at because it sounded too forced but this… it sounded like genuine anger, and it scared all of them to death.

 

Dara and Jiyong could hear his footsteps nearing them and they quickly removed themselves from each other while simultaneously straightening themselves up. Hyunsuk kicked the chair that was on his way and everyone flinched at the loud crash it made. The two didn’t even dare to look at each other, actually they turned their heads opposite from each other.

 

“Do you people still not understand the function of cameras?!”

 

They winced in realization and Jiyong, being the closest one, turned to the camera and gave it an accusing snarl. Papa saw this and whacked him on the head, eliciting a laugh from s. He glared at them. Dara stifled a smile. Bom rolled her eyes.

 

“Stand up, Park Sandara.”

 

“I’m innocent.” She blurted out.

 

“You’re far from innocent.” Bom snorted.

 

She glared at her. Jiyong stifled a smile.

 

Hesitantly, Dara stood up, but then coming down to kneel and raise her hands up to prepare for her punishments. The guys interchanged between the Papa and Dara, mentally yelling at their boss to not lay a single hand on her. Hyunsuk suddenly raised an arm, the boys gasped and Bom yawned. Dara shut her eyes to await her impending doom when she was suddenly pulled up into another Hyunsuk hug.

 

“You did it.” He whispered low enough for only her to hear. “I’m proud of you.”

 

A grin crept up on her face and he hugged him back, also lifting him in the process. The CEO laughed and the boys were left dumbstruck. Bom walked up to the girl and gave her a reassuring pat on the head.

 

“I told you it’ll be easier when you tell him.” She shook her head and smiled. “Stupid girl.”

 

Daesung, Youngbae, Seunghyun, and Seungri began to gather around her to congratulate on her wooing performance. They even went out of their way to toss her in the air even though they were practically old men that had crippling back problems. On the other hand, Jiyong just sat on his seat and gazed at the girl quietly. Bom sat beside him and put her elbow on his shoulder, looking at Dara too.

 

“This really means a lot to her, Jiyong. You of all people should know that by now.” She said. “I told you to take it slow but you just went ahead and ran like you always do.”

 

“I can’t help it, noona… at least not after I saw that video.” He answered somberly.

 

Bom snorted. “If that got you then you should’ve seen what she was like even before you struck fame. The girl is gaga over you. Seriously. Chaerin and I are really considering putting her in a mental asylum because of it. And yet you didn’t even notice her until the last few months.”

 

“I know.” He mumbled.

 

“And there’s a lot of things you still don’t know about her, things that will make you question your feelings or make them even stronger.” She squeezed his shoulder tight. “Know them before you go labeling her as yours. Don’t get her hopes up. She’s fragile as it is.”

 

“I’m scared, noona.”

 

“Well she’s terrified.” She replied sharply. “She’s invested so much time on her feelings for you, Jiyong. Make up your mind and stop being a ing . Look at Dara, it took her more than a decade to finally talk to you. She made up her mind and she decided to choose you. She’s going all or nothing. I don’t know what she’ll do when you’re finished with her.”

 

Jiyong looked at Dara, really looked at Dara. He saw the bright and genuine smile on her face, how her restrained-sounding laughter echoed around the room and how everyone just looked at her with adoration. There was no bad thing her could think of about her. Her imperfections only made her shine and her refreshing quirkiness just added to that. He sighed and leaned back on the co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter