Unexpected First

That Week In December
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

People have types.

Hi Jeonghan. Good morning Jeonghan. Yoon Jeonghan, you look good today. You’re handsome as ever. Slender built, angelic face, I am falling for that senior Jeonghan. The way he walks is so princely~ his archery form is so regal.

 

A typical male would say they like a certain face, height, hair length, nose, eyes. From the face, they discern the legs, their waist, their chest, and then go back up to the facial features; listing, rating all over again as if we live in an everyday beauty contest. Passing said standards would entail feelings based on a perceived illusion of what they see from afar; she’s the perfect visual, the perfect wife material. All in all, what people portray you as, would be that unshakeable mold they will enclose you in, the reason for ‘liking’ you and yet somehow it never seem to be enough to be anything beyond that.

 

Jeonghan learns early on not to be deceived by such standards and instead, know the person he dates, however, life and romance isn’t as easy, for him even. Human beings are naturally superficial. Nobody bothers to look at what is hidden, but focuses mainly on what they see.

 

You were far different than what I expected you to be.

Jeonghan daydreams for the nth time, the disturbingly same old lines his exes say to him during the moment of break up. He cannot anymore count how many he has dated or girls that has confessed to him. These women apparently has been misled by his cool, calm , and enigmatic form he possesses whenever he aims and shoots his bow in practice, even more when he won nationals during his sophomore year catapulting him to princely status.

 

However, Jeonghan is not that person. He is blunt, snarky, oftentimes sarcastic. He is not the prince that will answer your every whim. He is not the one who can shower you with romantic gestures for he is someone who is simple in words and acts rash like every typical boy. He doesn’t have a castle and a horse but that average joe from a typical family.

 

He dreams on, to the same words of different people with faces he cannot even remember. Oftentimes, he cannot distinguish anymore between his dreams and reality because even in reality, no twinge of disappointment hits him anymore.

 

Jeonghan continues to daydream until a strong fist hits his arm, waking the Pledis High prince from his slumber.

 

“What the ?!” Jeonghan snarls loudly.

 

“It’s free period not nap time, Jeonghan,” Lena, his classmate since freshman year, answers him, “besides why waste time sleeping when we can just eat lunch early to avoid the cafeteria rush. The guys are thinking of getting pizza anyway. So what do you say?”

 

“I say I wish you were a normal person who can wake people up normally. That’s why you don’t have a boyfriend, you’re such a troublesome woman,” Jeonghan says, yawning.

 

“Says the person who just got dumped. I call for reason that you’re such an unrefined jerk,” she retorts back.

 

”They’re the ones who confessed. It is not my problem that they assume things about me. So can you let me sleep now?” Jeonghan quips back, but he knows he wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep now he has been awakened and add to that is the disturbing commotion caused by several girls giggling at the hallways outside.

 

“What can I say, there’s this huge gap between your personality and your face. I cringe every time I hear girls about how dreamy you are. That face is a scam,” Lena says matter-of-factly.

 

“Sca-? Geez are you really a friend?”

 

“You betcha. How many times have I saved your lazy . Anyways….oh…right it’s Monday. I guess he will say yes to another person again huh,” she says as she walks towards him with her eyes fixated on the view from the window beside his seat.

 

“I cannot follow you.” he asks whilst following her gaze. Outside he sees an unusual number of people, mostly girls, hanging around the school gates.

 

“No its nothing for the apathetic you to care about,” Lena says in a softer, less snappier tone.

 

Jeonghan is about to ask more when Seungcheol enters their classroom, pizza flyer in hand, and with a booming voice asks, “Jeonghan, let’s pizza!”

 

“You guys are so loud. I’m game as long as it’s with meat. This one on you, Cheollie~?” Jeonghan asks, smiling sweetly at the other guy.

 

“You wish. How many times have you leeched from me this month. At least get this one,” Seungcheol replies with a scoff.

 

“Tsss..” Jeonghan says with a pout but calls in their orders anyway.

 

Jeonghan continues to pout at them after dropping the call.

 

“Stop pouting. Isn’t enough I see the same face everywhere today from girls that disappointingly pout, ‘Where’s Joshua, isn’t he coming today?’. Seriously, man.” Seungcheol says with a shrug.

 

“Joshua Hong, the freshman?” Jeonghan inquires.

 

“Yeah. I think you know him right? He’s also in the same archery club as you,” Seungcheol says.

 

“Not really. Since I’m already a senior, so I’m not as active as before. And besides, even then he doesn’t go to our practices.”

 

“So what is with this Joshua?”

 

“Joshua Hong. Good looks, great grades, athletic, amazing family background, and a complete gentleman. He is only a freshman but he was the one that topped the entrance exam and has been admitted on scholarship for his archery skills which he declined saying that it should be given to someone more deserving than him. But what made him even more popular is, he says yes to the first person that confesses to him, regardless who, every Monday but then breaks up with her on Sunday with the words, I’m sorry I couldn’t fall in love with you. I guess that is why a lot of girls are near the gates and stalking the hallways hoping for the first one to confess to him first,” Lena explains.

 

“Then today being Monday means-"

 

“Yep, Mondays are when he will definitely say ‘yes’,” Seungcheol says finishing his sentence.

 

“So he’s a douche then?”

 

“Just because you’re a douche doesn’t mean every good looking guy is. That’s the thing with Joshua. All the girls he has dated is happy despite the shortness of the relationship. He will literally treat you like a princess and for seven days, he will be faithful to you and be loyal only to you, you will feel as if you’re the center of his universe. Dating him feels like you’ve hit the jackpot even if such bliss was for a mere seven days,” Lena replies, with the most softest eyes Jeonghan has ever seen her in all years they have known each other.

 

“I’m surprised you know so much about him?” Jeonghan asks.

 

“Just because… I also dated him once. For

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter