All-time Favorite Moment

12 Days of Seoksoon

Seokmin’s body was soft and warm, Soonyoung thought as he leaned back against him. He felt Seokmin’s arms automatically wrap around his waist and his chin rest on his shoulder. On a relaxing day without a schedule, there was nothing more pleasant to do than to laze around while watching a show. What was being displayed in front of them was a happy couple of three in the popular variety show We Got Married. The couple had finished cooking an impressive meal and were about to enjoy the mountain of delicious food they made together when Soonyoung felt a pang jealousy and hunger. He wondered when he would be able to be happily married like that.

 

“Ah, I want to get married soon…”

 

Seokmin spoke directly into Soonyoung’s ear. “You already have me, baby.”

 

Soonyoung laughed as he slapped Seokmin’s hand still resting on his stomach. “How could I forget?” He turned his head to give him an air kiss.

 

A loud grumble coming from Soonyoung’s stomach interrupted the two of them. Soonyoung looked back at the TV screen in envy of all the food and love.

 

Seokmin motioned for Soonyoung to get up. “We can be better than any married couple out there! What do you want to eat? We’ll make something right now.”

 

“Right now?”

 

“You’re hungry, aren’t you?”

 

They didn’t have much to work with, and neither of them could consider themselves a skilled chef, so they couldn’t cook up a feast like the couple in the show. Instead, they decided on making gourmet ramen. It was the best they could come up with, and it was something neither would be unsatisfied by.

 

When the water came to a boil, Soonyoung was at a loss. Should he add the soup base first? The noodles? Was the order important? They had to be, right?

 

He stood in confusion as the water continued to boil. If he waited too long, the water would boil out completely… Should he add more water to compensate for what had evaporated already? There were too many options and too many questions. Soonyoung was never cut out to be a cook, and he was afraid his indecisiveness would lead to an awful tasting ramen like always.

 

Who even said that ramen was hard to mess up anyways?

 

“Here,” Seokmin put in the flakes, and then the soup base, and then the noodles. “I’ve got the ramen. Do you want to chop up the vegetables?”

 

Soonyoung smiled in relief. He was glad Seokmin was reliable at times like these.

 

He turned to grab a knife and a cutting board before pulling out a daikon radish, a yellow onion, some green onions, and lastly, kimchi. After peeling everything, he was ready to start chopping. But then, he faced another dilemma. How thickly should he chop everything? Should they be cubes? Slices? They should be thin enough to cook quickly, but thick enough to have a crunch… but what thickness was that?

 

“Seokmin…” Soonyoung called out pitifully.

 

Seokmin chuckled lightly. “Don’t worry, I can do this, too. Do you want to set the table?”

 

Soonyoung felt dejected by how little he was contributing, was glad he could be of some help. Setting up the table was something he could do. He pulled out some bowls and chopsticks and set them on the table, pairing them with a napkin, just in time for Seokmin to walk by with the large pot of rich-smelling ramen. Once it was on the table, Seokmin lifted the lid, revealing a colorful pot of soup noodles, complete with eggs boiled in it. It may not have been an extravagant meal like the one the couple made on We Got Married, but Soonyoung thought that their gourmet ramen was much more satisfying.

 

The TV was still on but was now showing a different couple as they entered their already fully furnished and beautifully decorated home for the first time. The girl on the screen was picked up bridal-style and carried through the front door.

 

Before Soonyoung had time to register anything, he felt his center of balance being shifted as his feet left the floor. Caught off guard, he reached out to grab something, and when his mind settled down, he saw that he was holding onto Seokmin’s neck. He was being carried in the same bridal-style as was on the television screen.

 

“Is this what you wanted?”

 

Soonyoung giggled in delight. How was it that Seokmin could always read his mind? He swung his legs lightly as they dangled from Seokmin’s arms.

 

“Almost. I wanted to be the one to pick you up actually, but I don’t think I have the arm strength to do it. I would be a horrible husband, wouldn’t I?”

 

“You don’t have to be a good husband. Just stay with me and I’ll take care of you.”

 

Soonyoung liked the sound of that. To be with Seokmin, who could do everything Soonyoung couldn’t. Seokmin, who always knew how to make him smile and knew when to say what. Being with Seokmin was better than being married to anyone.

 

Soonyoung looked back at the screen, realizing that his feelings of envy had vanished. He didn’t need marriage to find happiness. His happiness was already right there beside him.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inspired by this (Soonseok is on the left of the screen)