Part 4

The Princess's Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I havent proof read this. Sorry for more mistake than usual.

 

Italic = Chinese (or Mandarin)

Normal = Korean

 

The princess let Chaeyeon down from her hold slowly. She plopped down to sat at the ground, panting. Nayoung went to the princess’s side then handed her the water skin. Jieqiong received it gladly, gulping down water to quench her thirst. While the princess was drinking and catching her breath, Nayoung pulled out a piece of handkerchief to dabs the princess’s sweat. The princess gave Nayoung a smile while thanking her.

 

Suddenly galloping sound were heard nearing to their current position. Chaeyeon panicked, thinking that it might be one of the guard on patrol. But Jieqiong appeared to be calm. The sound got closer and closer until Chaeyeon saw a figure riding a horse while keeping a leash on one other horse in the dim light. The figure stopped about two meter from the princess. The rider came down from the horse and went and kneeled down before the princess. As the sun rises Chaeyeon could finally recognize the figure. It was the lieutenant, Meiqi.

 

Meiqi hopped down from her horse with ease. She approached Jieqiong, her right hand placed on top of her heart, and her right hand still grabbing the leash of the two horses. She went on her knees and bowed deeply to Jieqiong who was still sitting on the ground with Nayoung at her side. Jieqiong let out a huge smile as she told Meiqi to stand up. Jieqiong stood up too with Nayoung pulling her up by the arm, as Jieqiong was still dead tired. Jieqiong and Meiqi exchanged greeting, Meiqi was asked by the princess to went along with them on their journey to the mines since it was quite far away and Nayoung had made it clear that she won’t approve of their outing if there was no bodyguard for the princess.

 

“Ah Meiqi, thank you for agreeing to this.” Jieqiong shook Meiqi hand.

“It is my duty to ensure your safety princess. You sure seem very fatigue.”

“Well, the climb over the wall was harder than usual.” Jieqiong laugh sheepishly.

 

Meiqi didn't inquire any further as the princess went to the horses. Meiqi bought along two horses, one was a dark brown steed, which belonged to the lieutenant while the other belonged to the princess. It was a beautiful gold champagne colored young stallion with shiny white mane. The princess got close to the golden steed and rubs its neck. The horse whined as the princess small hand pats it gently. The princess named the golden horse Shan Liang which means shiny. Her horse was as beautiful as the princess herself.

 

“Good girl.” Jieqiong whispered to her horse.

“Shall we get going then?” Jieqiong looked over her shoulder to her companions.

“Yes Princess.” Meiqi bowed her head to the princess before rushing to her horse to mount it.


Nayoung went to Jieqiong side and placed a hand on the princess shoulder. Jieqiong looked to Nayoung with a curious look plastered on her face.

 

“Let me ride the horse so you can rest.”

“I’m fine Nayoung.”

“Princess, let me.” Nayoung expressionless face didn't change as she insisted.

“Okay fine. Chaeyeon you ride with Meiqi.”

 

Chaeyeon nodded her head and went to Meiqi. Meiqi hold out her hand to Chaeyeon, which she grabbed hesitantly. Chaeyeon was pulled up by Meiqi to mount the horse, sitting behind Meiqi. The close proximity to Meiqi that was practically a stranger was making Chaeyeon quite uncomfortable since after all, the girl was very shy. Meiqi seemed to notice Chaeyeon discomfort though and gave the younger girl a reassuring smile once again. It made Chaeyeon feel a bit better, though not by much.

 

Jieqiong was the first one to mount the horse, followed by Nayoung. Chaeyeon was confused to see that Jieqiong was at the front instead even though Nayoung said she would be the one riding. Nayoung grabbed the leash and ride the horse near to Meiqi’s steed. Since Jieqiong was still a child with small statue and Nayoung was a very tall woman the position worked out well for them. Jieqiong eyed Meiqi and Chaeyeon. Meiqi could have sworn she saw slight jealousy in those pristine dark eyes.

 

“Meiqi, take care of her.” Jieqiong said rather sternly.

“Yes princess. I will.” Meiqi could only nod.

 

They set out on their journey. It would approximately take them two days on horse to reach the mine. During that time it was impossible for the people in the palace to not know that they were gone, Jieqiong also know that. And thus Jieqiong had left a letter to the Empress saying that she was on an outing and she took two maids and Meiqi with her. She also told the empress to not bother search for her, as she would be back in less than a week. Nayoung could imagine the empress heavy sigh of distress that was caused by her reckless daughter. Nayoung could only hope that the empress won’t execute her and the other two when they got back.

 

#####

 

They had been riding for approximately two hours. They were now in an area of rocky mountain, riding in a moderate to slow speed because the princess was sleeping and it wasn't a good idea to exhaust their horses either. Chaeyeon had gotten a little bit used to riding a horse; it was her first time on a horse after all. Nayoung was keeping up well with Meiqi despite the fact that she doesn't ride horse very often; Chaeyeon and Meiqi were still questioning how Nayoung knew how to ride a horse in the first place. Chaeyeon glanced to her left to see Jieqiong sleeping against Nayoung chest. One of Nayoung hand was securely wrapped around Jieqiong’s body when the road got rougher. Chaeyeon was uncomfortable with their close proximity. Her brow wrinkled looking at the sight. She could only wished that it was her that was that close to Jieqiong instead of Nayoung unnie.

 

They rode for another three hours before stopping for lunch at a riverside. Jieqiong had woken up a good hour ago and had been the one to jockey the horse while Nayoung rest for a bit, though Nayoung couldn't sleep because Jieqiong couldn't support Nayoung tall stature while riding the horse. Chaeyeon were starting to worry about Meiqi. But it wasn't all that new for the lieutenant, she had told Chaeyeon that she once rode for three days straight without stopping and this trip was really comfortable comparing it to her usual army expedition. Chaeyeon let out a delighted sigh as Meiqi helped her down from the horse. Her body was sore all over, especially her bottom. Nayoung was quick to set up a big blanket near a shaded surface for them to eat lunch. Chaeyeon helped Nayoung out as soon as she saw Nayoung while Jieqiong was discussing things with Meiqi, probably their routes and where they should stay the night.

 

They had finished their lunch. It took Jieqiong a lot of nagging before she got Meiqi to eat her lunch with the princess. They had decided to rest for a couple of hours before continuing their journey as the village they will be staying for the night wasn’t so far off. Meiqi took the horses to the river to let them drink. Nayoung was sleeping while leaning on a tree a few meters away from the princess. That leaves the princess and Chaeyeon alone. Chaeyeon still feel bad about screaming at Jieqiong. Chaeyeon glanced at the princess who was leaning against one of the tree that shaded the blanket. The princess was not sleeping, she was looking at the river with sparkling eyes. Chaeyeon heart thump at the sight of the princess blissful expression. Jieqiong noticed that Chaeyeon was staring at her. She glanced at Chaeyeon who advert her eyes immediately as soon as their eyes met. Jieqiong let out a big grin seeing how cute Chaeyeon was. Jieqiong tried not be so close to Chaeyeon in order to be considered to Chaeyeon’s feeling but so far it had fail badly. Jieqiong just couldn’t leave Chaeyeon alone for too long.

 

#####

 

They had finally reached their final destination for the day, the village where they will be staying for the night. It was lucky that they had reached before sundown, riding at night would be very dangerous otherwise. Meiqi led the party to an inn in the village and get a room each. They had their dinner at the inn before retrieving to sleep in their own room. Jieqiong plop down on the bed with a thud. It was nowhere as comfortable as her bed at the palace, but Jieqiong didn’t really mind. Nayoung had helped her change her clothes to a thinner one and help Jieqiong cleaned up for a bit because a bath would be out of the question for now. Maybe she should ask Meiqi to find a river tomorrow for her to bathe.

 

Jieqiong turn left and right at her bed, restless. She was exhausted bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter