The Cabin Mishap

The Little Things (Oneshots)

 

The warm summer sun kisses your skin through the rolled down windows of the car. You let the wind tousle your hair as you grin, the salty smell of the lake wafting through the car. Beside you, you best friend steers the car down the winding path to the cabin where you were staying. This was your yearly tradition; a weekend spent on the shore of the lake with your childhood best friend. 

In a few moments, you're pulling up to the quaint little house that has withstood so many years of sand and sun. You hop out of the car before she even parks, excitement pulsing through your veins. You missed this place; it was so good to finally be back.

Your best friend follows you out of the car, shaking her head as she slings her bag over her shoulder. “If you keep jumping out of cars like that you’re going to get killed.” You roll your eyes and stick your tongue out at her as you race up the rest of the path.

Flower vines climb the smooth wood of the little cabin and sunshine spills through the open windows. You tug the door open and shut your eyes, breathing in the warm scent of summer and sand. You let out a soft sigh until a noise interrupts your thoughts. Someone clears their throat and your eyes shoot open in surprise.

There’s a boy standing in front of you.

Half-. Soaking wet.

In your cabin.

“Hello?” He asks, giving you a nervous grin and a shrug. You gape at him and your mouth drifts between open and shut. You’re suddenly aware of the fact that you’re in your bikini and that he must have just finished up a shower. You blush deep crimson and turn around, shutting the door behind you. You lean against it and contemplate hitting your head against it repeatedly.

What was he doing in your cabin? The one you had stayed in for years? Your friend had made the right reservations…right?

She meets you at the door with the rest of her over night bags in hand. She catches your expression and narrows her eyes. “What happened? Is something-” She’s cut off as the door to the cabin opens up slowly. You quickly jump away from the door and stand next to your friend.

The boy steps out as he runs a towel over his hair. At least he put on a shirt; your friend wouldn’t have as much of a surprise as you did. “Um, hello.” He speaks, his voice low and nervous. He probably wasn’t expecting a random girl to burst into “his” cabin either.

“Uh, hi. I think you might be mistaken, but my friend _____ and I have reserved this cabin for the weekend.” Your best friend’s voice is confused as she places a hand on her hip. The boy shakes his head.

“I’m positive I have reservations here for this weekend.” Your friend meets your eyes and you shrug as you mouth a response to her. “You made the reservations!” She sighs and you turn back to face the boy.

“Why don’t we just…stay here together? There was obviously a mix up but I don’t mind sharing. You seem nice enough.” The idea rolls of your tongue before you can take it back and your eyes widen. The boy thinks for a moment before he smiles at you. “That’s fine with me!”

You friend rolls her eyes at you and leans close to your ear. “What if he’s a ______-ah? You really want to stay with this guy?”

“Well we don’t exactly have any other choice Miss ‘I can make the reservations with no problems!’” She sighs in defeat.

“I guess you’re right.” She raises her voice from its low hiss and you both meet the boy’s gaze. He gives you a dazzling smile and sticks out a hand.

“My name’s Baro. What’s yours?” You take his hand and shake it with a smile. “______. This is my best friend.” She shakes his hand and says her name a little hesitantly but eventually gives him a small smile. You haul your bag over your shoulder and step into the little cabin, leaving the other two behind as you toss your things into the unoccupied room. You notice only one bedroom is taken up by belongings.

“Are you staying alone, Baro-ssi?” You ask as you step back outside into the warm sunlight. He nods once, running a hand through his golden hair.

“I like to take my family’s jet ski up here every once in a while during the summer. It’s more calming when they don’t come with me.” You laugh and start to walk towards the shore.

“Come swimming you two!” You shout. Your friend reluctantly follows but Baro looks nervous, as if he’s still uncomfortable with the idea. You give him a small wave and he caves, following you down to the water. You wouldn’t mind staying with him at all; he seemed like a really fun guy.

You shed your shorts on the sand until you’re only in your bathing suit and you run towards the familiar water, arms outstretched. Your friend splashes in behind you and Baro follows soon after. The three of you swim around in the cool water, chatting and playing with each other as you splash tiny waves at the other. You learn more about Baro and you share more about yourself with him.

“_____-ah, I’m tired, I’m going back up to dry off!” You give a wave and a smile to your friend as she climbs out of the water, shaking herself dry. You tread water to stay afloat as you turn to Baro.

He gives you a smile and sits on the small wooden deck jutting out from the sand. You dive under the water to a deeper area to swim towards him, ready to get out and dry off yourself. But before you can surface for air, you realize something is entwined around your ankle. You tug at it frantically as you struggle to free yourself. Your lungs threaten to burst but you can’t disentangle your limbs from the weeds.

You shut your eyes as try to shove off of the sandy bottom but only succeed in tangling your other ankle as well. You let out a shrill scream, muffled by bubbles, and feel yourself sinking further. Suddenly a strong pair of arms wraps around your waist as the echo of a splash rattles in your eardrums. Your ankles finally tug free and you’re pulled up above the water as you choke and gasp for breath.

You open your eyes as someone gently pulls you up onto the wooden deck. Your chest heaves as you gulp down sweet mouthfuls of crisp air, your lungs and throat burning. You suddenly realize that Baro’s arms are wrapped tightly around you and your mind seems to register what just happened.

You turn to thank him, but as your eyes meet his, you find you’re mesmerized. The sunlight shines through his blonde locks and he peers into your eyes worriedly.

“_____? Are you okay?” You nod numbly, still awestruck by the moment.

You wouldn’t mind staying in the cabin with a newcomer this year. No, not one bit. Some traditions are meant to be changed, right?