The Arcade

The Little Things (Oneshots)

 

Your friend loops her arm through yours as she tugs you through the door of the arcade. You’re reluctant to go in but she’s set on winning a prize from the claw machine. The place isn’t too crowded, just a few kids and teenagers gathered here and there. You watch with a half smile as your friend runs to the game, a grin on her face and change jingling in her pocket.

You lean against the machine with your hands in your pockets as she deposits the coins in the slot. The little motorized claw moves back and forth undecidedly until it finally drops. It just barely brushes the toy she was aiming for and she frowns. You laugh lightly as she hurriedly pops in a few more coins.

“I hope you realize that you’re going to waste all of your money on this stupid game.” She sticks out her tongue at you and you roll your eyes. You let out a slight yawn as she starts another game. You decide to have a look around; that would probably more entertaining than watching her lose.

Your attention is drawn to a crowd of people surrounding a dance game. There’s a boy playing, more like dominating. He’s amazing at it-not missing a single arrow that flashes by on the screen. You’re entranced by him as he moves, as if this was a piece of cake for him. The song ends and he turns around, stretching his arms over his head and panting. There’s a thin sheen of sweat glistening on his skin and his light brown hair hangs in his eyes. He brushes it back and you let out a small gasp; who knew a guy could be that cute? You wanted to run up and pinch his cheeks.

For a second his eyes meet yours and he gives you a heart wrenching smile. Your breath leaves you and you blush as he turns back to the game. Someone standing next to the boy points to the screen as he resumes his stance to play again. “Do this one Minwoo!” Your eyes widen. Minwoo…that was a nice name.

You feel someone cling to your arm, breaking your gaze. You meet eyes with your friend as she holds up a stuffed panda. “Look who I won!” You give her a smile and two thumbs up before looking back at Minwoo. He’s begun a new song and is dancing like he’s known it his entire life.

Your friend follows your eyes and grins when she sees Minwoo. “Ooh, he’s cute! I was wondering what was distracting you so much over here.” You blush again at her words and avoid her eyes. So you thought he was cute. It wasn’t like you were in love with the guy, no matter how good he was at dancing.

You watch him as he moves; fluid, precise, smooth. You wish you could dance like him. He finishes the song and turns around, meeting your eyes for the second time. You look away hurriedly but bashfully peek at him again a moment later. He’s got a grin on his face. “Would you like to join me?”

Wait a minute, was he talking to you? You look around at the others around you before pointing at yourself in confusion. He nods eagerly and points to the machine next to him. “Come on, it will be fun!” You nervously step up and the crowd of people cheers, along with your friend. She gives you an encouraging smile and a wink as you gulp nervously. You weren’t exactly the best dancer, especially not in games.

Minwoo takes your head and helps you onto the platform connected to the game system. You blush at the contact and shift nervously, not quite sure how to stand. He stands behind you and holds your arms, showing you which way to move each of your limbs. You gulp as his touch nearly burns you and try to clear your head. He hurries back over to his side and the song starts.

You stumble at first, feeling awkward with the footwork. You eventually fall into a soft flow, moving in sync with Minwoo. He glances over and grins widely at you, flashing a peace sign before looking back at the screen. You smile softly and focus on hitting each arrow that goes by and feel on top of the world when you manage to keep your rhythm.

The song ends and you feel disappointment rise up in your chest. You hadn’t wanted it to end so soon. Minwoo meets your eyes again. “Another round….?” He pauses as if asking what to call you. You hurriedly answer him with your name and a nod. “I’m up for it.”

The next song starts and you lose yourself into the beat of it, laughing as you stomp your feet and swing your arms. Minwoo laughs along with you and the two of you move in harmony. It seems it’s only been minutes but ten songs and an hour later, the crowd has thinned and your friend whines softly in the background.

“_____-ah, I’m tired.” You sigh and step down from the platform as the last song ends. Minwoo follows you, wiping at his forehead with a small towel. He gives you a knowing smile.

“I have to go now. It was a pleasure to meet you Minwoo.” He nods in agreement and takes your hand in a slow shake. “The pleasure was all mine.” His sweet voice glues a smile to your mouth that you can’t seem to peel off. You take your friends hand and help her up from her seat. You both turn to go but Minwoo’s voice stops you. “_____?” You turn back to meet his eyes. “Ne?”

“Would you, uh, meet me here again tomorrow?” He looks like he’s blushing. You’re surprised by his invitation but a warm smile lights up your face. “Of course I will. That sounds great.” He matches your grin and rocks back on his heels. “Okay! See you tomorrow then!” He runs off and you turn back to follow your friend again.

She watches you with a sly smile. “Someone’s got a cruuuuuuush~”

You can’t bring yourself to deny it.