三。A Fresh Start

Tangled Webs

三。A Fresh Start

"Surprise me." She signed the paper and sealed the deal with her thumb.

she thought, her mind replaying last night's activities. It seemed more like a dream. She wiggled her toes and fingers, no signs of being frozen bitten. Maybe it was just a dream. She cracked an eye open, terrified that it was all just some made up fantasy. What would she do if she still back in “Did it work?”Yoona’s eyes fluttered as she slowly came out of her beauty sleep. Gonjiam. In place of the white washed walls she had been dreading of, soft pink walls with white flower decal greeted her. Where was she? The deal was seeming less like a dream by the second. Now, fully awake, she sat up and looked around searching for signs of change. On the right nightstand was a couple of books with an alarm clock that read 10:30AM. On the left side held a lamp and a photo of herself. From the black garment she had on, it must have been taken on her graduation day. High school? She looked around the room and found it completely different from the room she used to have before she was thrown into the loony bin. She pinched herself in the arm for one last proof that this was all real.

What was once deep blue walls were now pink. And what was that hanging on the right side of the wall? Yoona slipped out of bed, noting the fluffy pink rug on the floor and walked to the poster for a closer inspection. Twelve boys dressed in school uniforms standing handsomely together. “EXO,” she read the group name underneath. At least they were hot. She turned around for further inspection.

The dressing drawer across the bed that had once been filled with cross country trophies were now filled with dance ones. And on top of the drawer were various pictures of her and eight other girls. None of whom were in her previous life. Previous? Was that really the right word for it?

It’s weird seeing herself in the pictures but not knowing the context. Yoona moved over to the full-length mirror in the corner. She stared into her reflection and examined for possible physical changes and found none. Speaking of change, where was that mark he said he was going to add. She was really starting to regret telling him to surprise her. What if it was ugly or big or both? During her druggie days she’s seen plentiful of ugly tattoos. How much makeup would it take to cover it up? For the next few seconds, she looked in the most obvious places. The hip and her lower back. Good, no tramp stamp. As she spun around for another inspection, she spotted it on the back of her neck.

She swept her hair to one side and craned her neck for a closer look. It was small, a crescent moon with two stars next to it. Her fingers glossed over the inked skin gently. She hated to admit it but it actually didn’t look half bad. Suddenly the bedroom door swung open, revealing a familiar face. “Oh good, you’re awake, lunch is almost ready.”

A sense of nostalgia hit Yoona hard. The woman in front of her looked exactly the way Yoona remember her to be, save for the fact there were some wrinkles. The doe shaped eye girl gulped down the oncoming tears as she launched herself into the elder woman.

“What’s gotten into you?” Mrs. Im questioned in concern, cupping her daughter’s cheeks.

“Nothing, I just missed you.” It’s been over two years since she last saw either one of her parents.

 

Jaeun patted her daughter’s head affectionately. “You can always come home when you’re homesick. Now get dressed. Didn’t you say your friend’s coming at noon to pick you up?” The elder woman peeled herself away from Yoona and headed toward the door. “You finished packing right?” Yoona nodded even though she had no idea what her mom was talking about. “Good, get dressed. Lunch will be ready in ten.”

“Mom.”

Mrs. Im stopped halfway out of the door, her hand still on the doorknob. “Yes, dear?”

There was so much she had wanted to tell her mom. Jungkook wasn’t imaginary. Questions she wanted to ask. Why couldn’t they have tried harder? Why couldn’t they have believed her? Didn’t they love her anymore? Yoona opened to voice the hurt confusion and anger that’s formed over the years but couldn’t squeak out a single sound. How could she when the woman who was staring so lovingly back at her and would have no clue what she was talking about? Yoona shook her head. “I’ll need twenty minutes.”

 

Jaeun chuckled, “Of course you do.”

She was going to have to let go of the resentment. Yoona sighed. Her parents in this “life” are innocent to the actions her parents in the previous. She should at least give them a chance. She didn’t even exactly make it easy for them either. This is what I wanted, she reminded herself. A fresh start. For the first time in a long, a genuine smile appeared on Yoona’s lips. She liked the sound of that. First, get dressed.

Tangled Webs

“Dad, Yeongho.” The young woman gasped as she walked into the dining room. Rushing to their sides, she gave them each a big hug.

“Are you high?” Her brother eyed her jokingly, pushing away at his older sibling.

Im Yeongho!” Jaeun scolded, giving her son a sharp poke in the shoulder.

“Kidding, kidding.” Yeongho held up his hands in defense.

Mrs. Im shot her son a deathly scare. “Not in my house you don’t, I’ll kill either one of you if you do drugs.” The elder woman walked closer to both of her children and took a big whiff.

“No drugs mom.” Yoona Funny, you should say that.appeased and sat down next to her brother. “Can we eat? I’m hungry.”

Lunch was everything Yoona had hoped for. Listening to her parents talk about work, bickering and teasing her brother brought back a lot of happy memories. Not to mention, her mom had made all her favorite dishes saying something about the meal being her last homemade meal for awhile. “I’m stuffed.” Yoona announced, leaning against the chair just as the doorbell rang. “I’ll get it.”

She wasn’t sure what she was expecting when she opened the front door, maybe one of the eight girls she was with in the pictures? Her mom did say a friend was coming later, But whatever it was, it mostly certainly wasn’t Jeon Jungkook. “What are you doing here?” She hissed, pushing him forward with one hand and closing the door with the other. “Aren’t you a little early to start ruining my fantasy?”

“To pick you up. Didn’t your mom tell you?” Jungkook replied with the ever so cocky grin.

“You’re the friend?” Yoona frowned in obvious displeasure. She should have known he wouldn’t stay away for long. “Why am I leaving, didn’t I ask for a happy family?”

“No, you asked for the life you would have had if you hadn’t met me and at your age that means college.”

He got her there. College was the last thing on her mind as she planned her escape. “Speaking of my life, what is with the changes? I don’t remember any of the stuff in my room. My parents and brother also seem different.” Her mother now reminded more of her mom in the old days, the loving and doting tone whenever she spoke instead of the always disapproving look. Her dad with the protective gaze. Even her brother had a certain love with the way he spoke to her instead of looking at her as if she were crazy. It was refreshing.

Jungkook shrugged. “Ever heard of the butterfly effect? The littlest change in the past can cause a huge ripple in the future. You not meeting me, led you to having a normal childhood which in turn means you never took drugs, yada yada. Your family dynamics obviously changed too.”

“If I’m living this life, shouldn’t I have at least some memories? I mean you can’t just plop me in this life and not tell me anything.”

“It doesn’t-”

“Yoona, what are you doing outside?” Mrs. Im interrupted and saw that her daughter wasn’t alone. “Oh! Hi there. Don’t be rude Yoona! Invite your friend inside.

“He said he prefers waiting outside.” “I’d love to come in.” Jungkook and Yoona said at the same time, resulting in the doe-eyed girl glaring at her “friend.”

While Yoona looked like her head was about to blow off, Jungkook was grinning from ear to ear as they followed Jaeun into the living room. Her dad and brother were also there watching a baseball game, they turned at the newcomer’s entrance. Silence passed between the five people. “Aren’t you going to introduce us?”

“This is Jungkook, my uh…” Yoona struggled to come up with the words, a sudden wave of emotions hitting her. This was the moment she had been waiting for since she was four. To be able to tell her parents that she wasn’t crazy and that there he was in the flesh.

“Boyfriend, I’m her boyfriend.” Jungkook finished, taking advantage of the young woman’s pause. He reached out and shook her parent’s hands. “It’s nice to meet you both.”

At the mention of those words, her sadness was immediately kicked to the curb by anger. “He’s not my boyfriend, stop joking.”

“It’s fine honey, we’re not delusional enough to think you’re still single, it’s good that you’re dating. You’ll be at marriage age in a few years. Experiment, find out what kind of men you like.” Mrs. Im waved her hands in dismissal.

“But not too much experimenting,” Sejun added and turned to Jungkook with a serious look. “You better treat her right, I have more than one gun ready if you don’t.” Mr. Im threatened but was silenced by his wife’s pinch.

“But he’s..” She fell into silence. She could already see it was pointless to argue. If he wasn’t her boyfriend what was he?

“See Yoong, you’re parent’s don’t mind.” Jungkook grabbed her hand. She dug her nails into his hand. “And yes sir, I will make sure all her needs are met.”


Michi: As promised an update. I know it's short but the next update shouldn't take so long :) anyhow back to the story what's this about Jungkook being her boyfriend? Is this really the life Yoona wanted? Enjoy and remember to comment.