one.

Together 'Till The End
"Alani! Where are you honey?" I yelled playfully as I ran around the house looking for my 5 year old daughter. "I know you don't like carrots but why don't you just give it a try?" 
 
I could hear her giggling as she ran across the living room. 
 
"Daddy!" She yelled. I followed her into the room and found her hiding behind Mark's legs. 
 
"Hey babygirl. How was your day?" Mark took off his jacket and placed it on the rack. He grabbed Alani and held her in his arms. 
 
"Mommy is making me eat carrots but I don't like carrots." Alani pouted, she was such a daddy's girl. 
 
Mark looked at me and I only shrugged. "Well honey, your mom loves you and she'll only make you do something if it's good for you." He talked in a soft tone. "How about I make you a promise? If you eat all of your carrots, me and your mommy will take you to pastel cupcakes."
 
Alani's eyes lit up. Pastel cupcakes was a pasty shop with a best cupcakes in the city; it was Alani's favorite place to go. 
 
"Okay daddy! I promise!" Alani held up her pinky and her and Mark made a pinky promise. 
 
Mark placed her down on the floor and Alani ran to the kitchen.
 
Mark smiled and walked up to me, "And how was your day momma bear?" 
 
"Hectic as usual." I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck. 
 
"Sorry I can't be home more to help you take care of her." Mark said with a sigh. 
 
"It's okay. Your job is important to you and I respect that." I gave him a soft peck on the lips.
 
"Ew!" A soft voice said.
 
We both looked over and saw Alani looking at us with her hand covering her eyes. 
 
I laughed and let go of Mark. "Did you finish eating your carrots?" I asked, walking over to her.
 
She nodded her head repeatedly. "Mommy, can we feed the ducks too?" 
 
I smiled at her, "Sure." 
 
Alani smiled and ran into her room.
 
"I'm going to change my clothes then we can leave, okay?" Mark said on his way to our bedroom. 
 
I went to Alani's room so she can change as well. I need to help her find an outfit because if I don't, she'll end up wearing mix match shoes and her Halloween costume from two years ago. 
 
I went threw her drawers and found her an outfit that was appropriate for the weather. "Okay, here you go." I placed her clothes on the bed and walked out the room while she changed. 
 
I went into the kitchen and cleaned up the snack that I made for Alani. I heard the door open and it was Mark. He finished changing first. He casually clothes made him look different since he was always wearing his work uniform. 
 
"You look nice." I said after looking at his outfit then going back to cleaning. 
 
Mark only smiled and helped me by wiping down the counter. 
 
"I'm done!" Alani grabbed our attention. She spun around so that we could see her outfit.
 
I grabbed Alani's hand then the three of us walked out of the house. 
 
The cupcake shop was walking distance from our house so it took us about 5 minutes to get there. Once we entered the shop, Alani hurried to the display counter to look at what dessert she wanted. 
 
"Hello. How are you guys today?" The man who worked behind the counter smiled at us. 
 
"We're doing great, how about you?" Mark replied to the man. 
 
"I'm fine." He said calmly then leaned over the counter to look at Alani. "So what can I get for sweety?" 
 
"I want the pretty pink one." Alani pointed at one of the cupcakes in the counter. 
 
The man nodded and grabbed the cupcake. 
 
"What about you two?" He looked up at me and Mark.
 
"We'll take those two." I spoke for both Mark and I because I knew what his favorite flavor was. 
 
The man nodded once again and placed all of our cupcakes in the package. He walked over to the register and rang up our total. "Okay, that will be $6.95." 
 
Mark took out his wallet and handed the man the money. "Keep the change."
 
"Thank you so much. Have a nice day." The man smiled.
 
"You too." I returned the smile and we all walked out of the shop.
 
 
"Can I eat mine now?" Alani impatiently looked up at me.
 
"Sure." I laughed softly and handed her the cupcake from the package.
 
It took Alani no time to dig into her cupcake. 
 
We walked to the lake that was across the street. We sat down on the bench that faced the water. 
 
Alani already finished her cupcake so she was ready to feed the ducks. I handed her a bag of bread crumbs that I brought from the house. 
 
"Be careful sweetheart." Mark said as Alani began to run away. "I will!" She yelled on her way to the ducks. 
 
"Man, she keeps getting bigger and bigger everyday." Mark smiled as he watched her run around.
 
I laughed softly at his comment, "I know. I feel like I have to buy her bigger clothes every week. Oh-" I changed the subject when I thought of something. "Speaking of buying clothes, I was thinking we can go to the mall this weekend so we can buy Alani a new outfit for my mom's party next we-" I suddenly stoped talking when I saw the look on Mark's face. "What is it?" 
 
"About that party.." Mark sighed, "I can't go."
 
"What? My mom is really looking forward to seeing you." I the frosting from my cupcake with my finger. 
 
"I know. But it's work, they told that they needed me on that day." He said softy, I could tell that he was sad to be disappointing me.
 
I was upset but I'm use to it be now. This isn't the first time we have to reschedule because of his job. 
 
Mark is in the Marines so he's not home that often. I don't really like to complain about it because he's protecting our country. But I guess I just wish he had a little more time to spend with his family. 
 
"I promise I'll make more time for the three of us." Mark looked at me seriously. 
 
"You've been making a lot of promises today." I gave him a small smile.
 
"You know I always keep my promises." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and kissed my head. 
 
I looked over at Alani, she was sitting down with all the ducks surrounding her. I could see that her eyes were slowly shutting. 
 
"We should get home now, Alani is falling asleep over there." I laughed and stood up from the bench. 
 
"Come on Alani, it's time to go home." Mark stood up also and called Alani.
 
Alani came running to us and jumped into Mark's arms. I grabbed our stuff and we walked home.
 
 
Once we got home, Alani went straight to bed. Feeding the ducks really tired her out. 
 
After tucking Alani in, I climbed into my own bed. I pulled the covers over myself and sighed happily. 
 
"What is it?" Mark asked as he got in the bed next to me. 
 
"Nothing really." I looked over at him. "I just really love our little family." I smiled.
 
"I love you too." Mark kissed me softly.
 
"And Alani too?" I questioned.
 
"Of course, her too. She's my whole world." The smile on his face showed that he truly meant that.
 
 
 
 
                                             _________________________________________________________
 
I decided to try out a new genre with this story. This first chapter is just a little background on the family. Let me know if you're interested, I would love to know!