four.

Together 'Till The End

 

(MarkPOV)

 

 

I hardly slept at all last night. I woke up every 30 minutes to check on Alani and Kylie.

 

I was worried that something would find it's way into this house and attack them.

 

I opened my eyes after hearing the sound of static. I looked around and saw Kylie sitting at the coffee table with a small radio in front of her. 

 

I got off the couch and walked up to her. "What are you doing?" 

 

"The power is out so I'm using this radio to find out what's going on." She didn't look up at me when she said this. "It was working earlier but then the satellite went out." 

 

"What were they saying?" I sat down next to her.

 

"They said that we were under attack.  They said that those creatures out there are called roamers." She looked up at me.

 

Roamers? That's what they were calling them at work. Now I remember.

 

"At work, there was a classified case that was going on. On the file it said 'Roamers'." 

 

"Are you saying that the government and the military knew about this and they didn't say anything?!" She sat up in her seat.

 

"Yeah.." I sighed. "Unfortunately there's a lot of things going on that the government doesn't notify the public of." I placed my hand on her back, attempting to calm her down a bit.

 

"So what have you heard about these Roamers?" She asked.

 

"Well apparently, there was a spillage at a scientific power plant. The spillage let out a toxic gas that killed many of the test subjects who worked there. But then they all woke up. Everyone thought it was a miracle that they didn't die but they weren't acting like themselves. They began to attack the scientists; it's like they were trying to eat them." I took a deep breath. "So the government decided to lock them away and hope that they died out. They had all of us in the military watch over it. But I guess the roamers found a way out somehow." I looked down at my hands. 

 

Kylie looked up at me. "Why didn't you tell me about this?" 

 

I sighed and grabbed her hands. "You know I couldn't tell you. Everything about my job is confidential and plus, nobody knew this was going to happen." 

 

She sighed and laid her head on my shoulder. "Yeah, I understand. I just wish we would've had a heads up about this." 

 

"Yeah, me too. I-" 

 

I was suddenly cut off by the sound of small coughs. I looked over and saw that Alani was awake but her coughing didn't stop. 

 

Kylie quickly got up and rushed over to the chair that Alani was in. "Alani honey, are you okay?" Kylie said as she took Alani into her hands.

 

Alani stopped coughing for a few seconds then it started up again. 

 

Kylie turned back to face me, "She's wheezing really bad and it's hard for her to breathe. I think she's having an asthma attack."

 

I jumped up quick and made my way to both of the girls. 

 

This wasn't Alani's first asthma attack, she was diagnosed with it when she was 3. That's why we always brought her inhaler with us wherever we go. 

 

"I'm going to go get her some water." Kylie said and quickly made her way to the nearest sink. 

 

I grabbed Alani in my arms and held her close. "It's okay sweetheart, you're going to be fine. Just breathe slowly." I said to her. "Where's her inhaler?" I yelled out to Kylie. 

 

"I don't know. Its probably in the car. I didn't grab any of our bags after the crash." She walked back to us and handed Alani the glass of water. "Drink it slowly, honey." She said. 

 

Alani shakily held onto the glass and drank from it slowly. She began to calm down a little but she still needed her inhaler. 

 

"I'm gonna go out to the car and see if it's in there." I stood up. 

 

Kylie looked up at me, I could tell that she didn't want me to go out there but she knew that Alani really needed her inhaler. "Okay, be careful." 

 

I got up from the floor and walked to the front door. I took a deep breath before exiting. I took one step out and looked around at my surroundings. This was my first time seeing where we were since I was unconscious when Kylie brought me in here. 

 

I looked to the left and the right before I ran to the car. The car was completely trashed and upside down. I mentally slapped myself for putting my family into this situation and almost killing them. 

 

I bent down and looked in the car. I tossed through everything that was in there and Alani's bag was nowhere to be found. It must've been thrown out of the car during the crash. I looked in the front seat and found Kylie's purse. I grabbed it then walked away from the car. I made my way back to the house and locked the door. 

 

"Was it in there? Did you find it?" Kylie said, walking up to me.

 

I sighed. "No, her bag wasn't in there." I placed Kylie's purse down on the table. 

 

Kylie went back to Alani and continued to rub her back. 

 

 

(KyliePOV)

 

I rubbed Alani's back slowly. Her breathing was bad but I think my rubbing was making her feel better. 

 

I looked over at Mark. He was looking through my purse. I wondered what he was looking for until he pulled out my phone. 

 

He dialed a number and put the phone to his ear. 

 

"Who are you calling?" He didn't answer me. 

 

He was tapping his foot on the floor as he waited for whoever he was calling to pick up. 

 

I'm guessing whoever he was calling answered because he perked up and held the phone closer to his ear. "Hello....yes, my name is Sgt. Mark Tuan. I am with the United States Marine Corps. There has been an attack......yes I understand that but-" Mark kept getting cut off by the person he was talking to. "I just need an evacuation airlift to come and pick up my family, my wife and my daughter....hello.....hello!" Mark sighed and put the phone down on the table. 

 

"What happened?" I asked.

 

"I think the cell phone towers went down or something." He sighed and sat down on the couch. 

 

"Why did you tell them to only pick us up? What about you?" I looked over at him. 

 

"You and Alani are my first priority. I need to make sure you guys are protected before I even began to worry about myself." Mark said with a serious look on his face. 

 

Before I could reply, he got up from the couch and made his way to the front door. 

 

I followed behind him, "Where are you going?"

 

"Alani needs an inhaler. She's okay right now but that won't last for long." He looked around the room and grabbed a bat. "I know that there's a pharmacy two or three blocks down the street. I remember seeing it before we crashed. I'm just going to go there, find her an inhaler then come back." 

 

I placed my hand on his arm. "Mark, it's too dangerous. You don't know how many roamers could be out there." 

 

"I know but I have to do this for Alani. I'll do anything to keep her safe." He said.

 

I completely understand what he was saying but I couldn't help but worry about him. I don't want him to get hurt out there all alone. I can't lose him. But I knew he was strong and he could protect himself. 

 

"Okay, just please be careful." I looked into his eyes. 

 

"Of course, I will." He gave me a soft smile and peck on the lips. "I'll be back soon, don't worry." He said before walking out the door.