Chapter 6

The lion in me

Chapter 6 


 

What was going on? Minho looked confused at the guard. His remark surprised him, before making his way to the door.

“I think you’ve got the wrong guy, sorry about that…” he said just before opening the door to leave. But the grip on his shoulders prevented him from leaving.   

 

“You better sit down… now” the guards whispered threateningly from behind.

Minho felt like protesting, genuinely being confused about what he had done to be contained in this room with a security guard, but did as he was told. Maybe he would get an explanation then.

But not much seemed to happen, as he sat in silence waiting for the unknown. His eyes scanned the room, still slightly blurry from the beers he had. It was first now that he acknowledged how fancy the room was organised.

He himself sat on a quiet expensive looking leather sofa, around him two more leather sofa, paintings on the wall of old smart looking people, a Persian carpet and in front of him a beautiful carved wooden coffee table. Hold on… is that real gold? The golden legs of the coffee table caught Minho’s eyes and he bend down to touch it. Yeah, definitely gold.

The guard grumbled unhappy giving him at warning glance not to touch anything else. He sat back up, admiring the room further. He was sure no one would have guessed that this was a side-room in a club. He thought it rather looked like a room in an ancient and glorious castle.

Suddenly the guard stiffened as he was surprised by the order being shouted into his earpiece. He quickly answered into his walkie talkie. “Yes Sir, he is here” he answered whilst giving Minho a side-glance, who was still occupied with admiring the fancy room.

The guard turned around and made his way towards the door. “You stay right where you are, and don’t touch anything” he almost growled before going out the door, then locking it after him.

“Okay… what is going on?” Minho whispered to himself. He felt like leaving, but judging the guards look that would be a really bad idea.

He did not know what he was waiting for, and the thought made him restless.

“This is ridiculous…” Minho had enough of waiting for something to happen and he stood up preparing leave this room anyway possible.

But before he could manage to step away from the sofa the door burst open, resulting in a small flinch from Minho.

“Ahhhh, there he is! Welcome, welcome!” A middle-aged man, looking as if he was going to take a relaxed cruise on a 20 million dollar yacht, stepped in with his arms open and a large grin spread across his face. Behind him were at least four grim looking security guards.

Quite startled by the mans frankness Minho did not dare to move one step further, as he was not sure what he was being welcomed for.

“You look like a deer caught in the headlights” the man chuckled, grabbing Minho seemingly gently to make him sit down again, before taking the large leather sofa in front of him.

“Nah, do not worry you have not been hit yet” he reassured Minho with a slight unnerving smile. “Someone get this young man something to drink” nodding towards one of the four guys at the door.

 

For some reason it pulled Minho back. “Ehm, I am sorry. I think there has been a misunderstanding… I was actually just looking for the bathroom” he managed to say without much uncertainty.

“No, no, no.” The man finger went up abruptly to stop him from saying more. “This, Minho… this is not a misunderstanding. You are exactly where you are supposed to be.”

Hearing his name from this stranger made Minho tense, which did not go unnoticed.

“You are probably wondering why you are here, and why I know who you are?” The leather sofa made squeaky noises as he stood up to admire the ancient picture on the wall.

Minho carefully followed every step the man made, not noticing the beer that was being served for him.

“You see… I have heard some disturbing news about you” He suddenly turned towards him. Seriousness was plastered all over his face.

“Sir, I am not sure what you are talking about” Minho answered confused, desperately looking at the other people in the room, in hope of finding answers. 

The man went behind him, taking a firm grip on both his shoulders. “I shall refresh your memory”. He made a quick gesture with his hand and the door was opened.

Without thinking twice Minho’s body became tensed, as Jin marched in with a smirk on his face.

This could not mean any good.

“Why so tense?” Jin remarked mockingly.

Minho just managed to lower his head. Annoyed, he hoped not to look at him would help not getting provoked to anything stupid.

“Shhh Jin, do not unnecessary provoke him” The man corrected Jin, slowly petting Minho’s head like a lap dog.

Minho was too weirded-out by the situation to react to the bullying.

“I can see you are familiar with my little friend over there” The man pointed at Jin, chuckling. “The problem is… and let me get this straight, that is why you are here… if you know him, then you have been in contact with someone your not supposed to be in contact with” The chuckle was gone with the wind and replaced with a sharp threat and aggressiveness.  

“If I am informed correctly, Jin and his little group of followers have warned you about not talking to them… or my nephew” He said, looking at Jin for reassurance, which was granted by a confidant nod.

Normally, Minho would say he was quite fast at grasping riddles, but now he was utterly confused what this was about. “I… I am really sorry, but I cannot quiet follow” He managed to utter.

Uncomfortable about the situation and feeling being surrounded by too many people, made Minho nervously grab the leather sofa, as he felt a strange feeling surge him.

Annoyed by Minho’s innocence the man seemed to let his controlled posture go, and aggressively stormed at Minho. “YOU!” He tried to regain some self-control again by correcting the collar of his shirt. “You… you are staying far, far, far faaaaar away from my nephew” He threateningly whispered into his ear.

It would seem stupid to fight back at the accusations made at him, but Minho was getting annoyed about this situation, the surging feeling growing wilder. A sudden pain went through him, his muscles tightening, and he hugged himself trying to suppress whatever was happening.

“ARE YOU LISTENING?!” was shouted directly at him, whilst one of the security guards grabbed him to sit straight back up and look the man straight in the eyes. Sweat was slightly falling down his forehead. He had to close his eyes for a second, as his vision blurred.

“Whatever drugs you are on my friend… You WILL listen!” The man commanded, resulting in another tug from the guard.

Seemingly getting bored by Minho’s lack of attention, the man took a few steps back. “Jin, as agreed… make sure he listens and has understood every. word. I. have. said!” he ordered aggressively.

Minho fought to regain hold of himself.

What is going on!?

What is happening?!

What nephew?!

He was momentarily more confused about his lack of own body-control. The wild feeling growing in him, prevented him of multitasking and cooping with the situation fully.

Jin stepped closer, obviously excited about what he was about to do.

“I told I would get my revenge” he said with a smirk. He raised his fist, just about to let it connect with Minho’s chin, as the door once more flung open.

 

“THAT’S ENOUGH!”

The person flew through the room so fast; Minho did not even get a chance to fully comprehend, who just clashed this small gathering.

“I told you! Do.not.mess.with.me.Jin!” Taemin very threateningly sneered at Jin, who looked about to piss himself.

Taemin looked as if he were about to kill Jin right on the spot, as he had a firm grip around the collar of his shirt.

“Let go of him Taemin” his uncle commanded.

Taemin quickly turned his attention to his uncle. “How dare you!” He angrily jabbed his fist into his uncle’s chest. “It is not your concern whom I talk!”

Taemin gave the other people in the room a daring look. “Do not forget, who has the say here” …

“It is not you, uncle!” Taemin sneered at him.

“Do NOT speak to me like that!” Taemin’s uncle was pissed and moved dangerously close to his nephew. “Actually, it is my concern whom you talk to… do not forget your father still has the say”.

Minho watched on as if it were a theatre play, too overwhelmed by what this night has turned into.

“You of all people, do not have to remind me of that” Taemin replied ironically.

That did it! Taemin’s uncle was just about to lash out, but everything happened so fast, no one could do anything but stare in surprise.

 

Minho reacted on instinct and moved faster than the light, grabbing Taemin’s uncle’s arm with a force that even made him scared of himself.

“AAAAaaah! You broke my arm you dumb idiot!!” Taemin’s uncle groaned in pain, having sunk onto his knees. 

“NEVER! Touch him again!” Minho growled at him, before harshly letting go of his arm.

He turned towards Taemin. “Are you okay?”

It was first now Minho seemed to realise what he had just done. Taemin’s shocked face seemed to pull him out of whatever just had happened with him.

The security had not moved, but observed Taemin carefully, waiting for a command.

Minho took a step back, ashamed of what had just happened. Taemin’s uncle still lay groaning on the ground.

Taemin’s look switched between his uncle and Minho. His expression changed from shocked, to something Minho could not quiet grasp.

Admiration? Was he angry? Or pitiful?

Suddenly Taemin seemed to have gained composure of himself and his thoughts again, and straightened up. He bought one hand through his messy hair and let out a sigh.

“Jiseok, Kwangsik… bring Minho to the van” Two of the security guards stepped forward at the command.

“I’ll take care of Jin” at the mentioning of his name Jin seemed to dig his own grave. “The rest of you take care of my uncle” Taemin commanded coldly.

Minho was still in shock over what he had just done, and did without further complain follow the two guards that pulled at him.

“NO! No, please! …. Don’t… forgive me!” Minho turned around at the pleading screams of Jin, but did not see much before he was pushed further down the hall.

 

A shot was heard.

 

***

 

What have I done?

Minho sunk his face into his hands.

It had started raining heavily, and the vans windshield wiper were moving at high speed.

The Van still stood parked in the backyard of the club.

Suddenly the car door opened, and someone seated himself beside Minho.

“Drive”The command was immediately executed.

Minho looked up at the voice.

 

Taemin was starring right back at him. Rain slowly dropping down his wet hair.

The two just sad there, starring silently at each other as the city lights passed them outside.

At some point Taemin broke the stare an turned towards the window.

“Taemin…” Minho said hesitant, hoping to get the latter’s attention, without knowing what he actually wanted to say.

“Don’t” Taemin whispered back, his eyes signalling towards the two security guards in the front.

Minho got the message.

For the rest of the trip they sat in silence, but not without seeking a few looks of each other.

“Turn right at the next corner and stop at the fourth house”.

How? He is perfect.

Minho’s thoughts were going wild, as he looked at Taemin’s side profile.

They were, however, interrupted as the van abruptly stopped in front of a house.

What? Minho surprisingly turned towards Taemin.

“You are home” Taemin said softly, looking at him shortly before grabbing the door handle.

Minho did not know what to expect of this drive, but certainly not to be driven home.

Taemin opened the door. It was still raining heavily.

“Wait here” Taemin instructed the two in the front, before going out.

Minho followed. 

They both went around the backside of the car, meeting midway.

 

Both were already soaked by the rain.

Taemin looked at him deeply, as if he were trying to look through him.

Minho could not stop himself from starring back, seemingly searching for answers in Taemin’s expression too.

“You have a thing of getting wet with your clothes on” Taemin broke the silence with a small chuckle, his gaze not leaving Minho’s.

Minho did not answer, but gave a small smile back.

For him, the world seemed to slow down. All he could think of, see, and feel was Taemin.

A familiar feeling crept through him once more.

Why!?

Before he would allow this feeling to grow further, Minho had to step back from Taemin.

“Thank you” Minho manages to utter. He meant it sincerely.

He took another few steps away from him, before turning fully and slowly made his way towards his house.

 

Do not turn away from this.

It made Minho stop. He turned around once more.

Taemin was left standing in the rain. Only the bright car lights made him visible.

Rain was dripping down his face, making his somewhat pleading eyes more compelling.

Minho sighed to himself, before going back towards Taemin.

Taemin lifted his eyebrows, waiting for him to say something.

 

“I…” Minho said, avoiding his eyes. “I don’t know what happened, but I want to apologise for it. I never meant to bring any harm to anyone.” He lowered his head.

No answer came.

Slowly, a bit unsure, Taemin took Minho’s hand into his.

“I am the one that should apologise” He answered whilst looking at their hands. “and thank you” He added, now looking at Minho.

Minho closed is eyes, letting the moment seek in before opening them again.

For a moment he saw concern in Taemin’s eyes, but they quickly shifted into eyes of warmth and kindness.

“Now go… they will be wondering what I am doing” Taemin whispered unwillingly. He let go of Minho’s hand, and went back into the car without further due.

Minho was left behind on the dark street, as the van quickly drove off into the night.

 

He sighed and went back towards the house. He fumbled a bit to find the keys, but there were not necessary anyway, because the door flung open.

“Minho!” His dad gasped.

He tore his son inside.

“Your eyes…”

He let go of Minho in defeat.

“What have I done…”

 


- and I am back. 

I am sorry for the long hiatus.

I hope you'll enjoy this chapter. Comments are appriciated. 

/Cherub

 

Choi Minho - Illang: the wolf brigade

*That is pretty much how I imagen the last scene.