Prologue

The lion in me

Prologue


 

“Minho, not again!  I told you not to go out of the house after 7 pm. You can’t keep doing such irresponsible things”.

“I’m sorry father, I was just playing at the playground around the corner” the brown orbs were filled with regret and sadness, looking up at his father.

“I’m sorry too son, I just got scared” Daehwan took his son in his arms, squeezing him tight.

***

His room was dark only the moonlight kept shining through the window. Laying there, watching the trees sway back and forth. How he wished he could be just like any other 6 year old.  Going to the playground with his father, not having to fear other people, just being outside, playing in the mud.

Minho looked at the door. The lights in the hallway switched off, his father was going to bed. This was his chance.

He opened the window quietly, making sure no sound was made, took his jacket from under his bed and crawled out of the window.

The cold air had filled the night with silence. Minho ran through the hole in the bush that surrounded the garden. Passing a few houses Minho came to what he was looking for.

There he was, sitting in the window.

Minho crept behind the tree and looked from afar. Even thought it was night, the target of his was clear. Minho’s yellow eyes pierced through the darkness, over to the boy. He looked sad, somehow lonely, sitting and just watching how the clouds glided past the moon. He was breath-taking.

He didn’t know what made him so special. He was just another boy of the neighbourhood. At least that was what he was trying to tell himself.

Deep down he knew. Taemin was not just anyone.

***

Day after day, month after month, year after year. Nothing had changed.

Minho kept his nightly visits for himself, enjoying the density of being close to him. As close as he ever could get.

He knew his father only wanted what’s best for him. Staying far away from people he did not know. Which meant his father would be the only person close to him. That did not mean anything bad, but as any teenager would hope for was finding someone his own age. His teenage mind was agreeing with him on that point.

***

“Saeng il chuk ha ham ni da!” – he was sure, he had never seen his father look so ridiculous. Standing at the door of his room, on his head a big 18 kept swinging back and forth, having a big smile creeping up his face and continuously proving to him that he definitely could not sing.

“Wow dad. As much as I appreciate your singing, please don’t do this to me this early in the morning” swinging his legs of the bed Minho tried to regain his composure.

“I’ll try not to feel hurt by that comment since it’s your birthday. Maybe I should consider waking you up like this every morning, maybe then you actually would get up.” His dad giving him a judging look.  

“Now sleeping beauty get up, I’ve made breakfast”.

Groaning Minho made his way to the bathroom. “I really don’t see what he means by sleeping beauty” he said to himself looking at the horrible image reflecting in the mirror, hair messy and eyes barely open. Only doing a fast fresh up, he would sooner or later bath anyway after his daily run, he made his way downstairs.

As simple and plain their house was, his dad had still managed to decorate for his birthday. Way too much. “Don’t you think this is a little too much dad?” he asked while sitting down at the table.

Only nudging his shoulders, his dad went to serve the breakfast.

“It’s not every day my son turns 18” smiling at his son. “Here look what I got you” he said whilst pulling out a small gift. “This means a lot to me and I wish that you’ll treasure it with your heart”.

Giving a slight nod Minho opened the gift. A small box. Inside a silver bracelet. He hadn’t noticed the tears in his eyes, before they fell. “This is moms”. He couldn’t find the right words, so he hugged his dad instead. “Thanks dad! I’ll promise, I’ll treasure it!”.

“I know you will”.

 


 

I'm sorry for the slow update.

I hope you'll like it.