Sharing is Caring

Playtime For Little Rascals

Yoona waddles around the classroom, bending down every now and then to peer underneath the tables and chairs. Amber furrows her eyebrows and taps on Yoona’s shoulder when she passes by, startling the girl and breaking her concentration. Amber smiles in amusement when Yoona stumbles and steadies herself from falling but she quickly regains her composure and the smile disappears from her face.

 

“Did you lose something Yoona?”

 

“No Teacher Amber,” Yoona says, although her eyes glint with mischief. Before Amber can open to ask what’s going on, she hears the door open behind her and a very loud voice shout into the classroom.

 

“Hello Teacher Amber!” Tiffany says, giggling and blocking the doorway.

 

“Oof!” Sunny says, bumping into Tiffany and crossing her arms in front of her chest.

 

“Sorry, not sorry,” Tiffany says, sticking her tongue out and running away to stow her bag in the lockers.

 

Sunny grumbles and stalks off behind her, miming a fist behind Tiffany’s back when she’s sure Amber isn’t watching.

 

Luna enters the classroom with Yuri and Hyoyeon in tow, who playfully flick each other on the arm. Amber raises her eyebrows and Luna shrugs, redirecting the two girls to the lockers before they can run over to the play area.

 

Amber continues setting down the papers in her hand onto the desks in front of her. She jumps when a head appears over her shoulders and a pair of arms wrap around her waist from behind.

 

“Krys! Don’t scare me like that princess!” Amber says, holding the papers close to her chest.

 

“Good morning,” Krystal says, giggling to herself as she lets go and pries Amber’s fingers away from the papers.

 

“You’re in a good mood today.”

 

“Aren’t I always?”

 

“No since Jessica’s usually annoying you in some way before work,” Amber says, shrugging when Krystal raises her eyebrows at her. She relaxes when Krystal finally smiles and shakes her head.

 

“You’re right, but look at her,” Krystal replies, pointing towards the bean bag area. Amber’s eyes widen in surprise when she notices Jessica sleeping peacefully on one of the bean bags with a soft smile adorned on her face. Amber turns back to Krystal with an incredulous look on her face.

 

“Class is about to start!”

 

“Relax Amber, I’ll wake her up soon. Besides, Taeyeon should be coming any moment now and you know how energetic Jessica gets when they’re in the same room together.”

 

As if on cue, they hear a happy child bouncing her way into the classroom.

 

“Soojung-unnie!” Taeyeon squeals, dropping her bag in the middle of the classroom and dashing over to hug her favourite teacher. Krystal giggles and scoops the girl up into her arms, laughing when Taeyeon lands kisses after kisses on her cheeks.

 

“Woah girl, slow down,” Krystal teases, beaming widely when Taeyeon bounces cheerfully in her arms.

 

“Taeyeonnie missed Soojung-unnie!”

 

“I just saw you yesterday at the park Taeyeon,” Krystal says, biting her tongue when Taeyeon’s eyebrows furrow together.

 

“Does Soojung-unnie not miss Taeyeonnie?”

 

Krystal gasps in surprise; she’s never heard Taeyeon question anyone like this.

 

“I do!” Krystal defends herself, only to frown when Taeyeon giggles and throws her head back as she claps her hands enthusiastically.

 

“You tricked me, you little rascal!” Krystal says, tickling Taeyeon and grinning when the girl squeals and slaps her hands. Before Krystal can continue her attack, she feels a pair of tiny arms wrap themselves around her leg. She looks down, smiling when Jessica glares up at her and pouts. Krystal stops what she’s doing and nudges Taeyeon, who grins toothily at her and looks down.

 

“Sooyeon!” Taeyeon says, climbing down from Krystal’s arms and throwing her arms around her friend. Krystal smirks when Jessica immediately turns red and clings tightly onto Taeyeon.

 

“Taengoo!” Jessica utters, beaming brightly and never letting go of her friend.

 

Their sweet moment is interrupted when they hear a crash on the other side of the classroom.

 

“I got it!” Sooyoung yells, waving a fist full of blocks in the air as her head pops up from the tangle of limbs.

 

Krystal shakes her head and walks over to assist Amber and Luna in untangling the mess in front of them.

 

 

 

“Okay class, it’s time for today’s lesson!” Krystal says, clapping her hands together to bring everyone’s attention on her. She smiles and beckons the children to gather around her in the centre of the classroom. Krystal rearranges the pillows on her chair and sits down, her eyes widening in surprise when a farting sound resonates through the air.

 

Krystal reaches behind her and fishes around, frowning when she feels rubber behind the clothed pillow. She pulls out a whoopie cushion and stares at it, then looks over at the children in front of her.

 

“Did someone place this here before class started?”

 

Krystal stares at the sea of blank faces and looks over at Luna and Amber, who both look back at her with confused expressions on their faces. She turns to look back at the group of children, her eyes narrowing at the way Yoona avoids her gaze. The corners of her lips turn upwards and she shakes her head, placing the whoopie cushion to the side and commencing the lesson.

 

“Today’s lesson is all about sharing!” Krystal says, grinning when she hears the collective groans of protests.

 

“What do you know about sharing so far?”

 

“Sharing is when you let a friend use something of yours, or they let you use something of theirs!” Seohyun pipes up, smiling when Krystal nods.

 

“Correct Seohyun. Now, have any of you heard the words ‘sharing is caring’?”

 

About half the class nod their heads whilst the other half shake their heads.

 

“We say ‘sharing is caring’ because we want the other person to know that we want to help them and that we are looking out for them,” Krystal says, the corners of her lips turning upwards when she sees the class nod in understanding.

 

“Today, we want to see each and every one of you sharing something with your friend. You’ll receive a sticker each time you share something and the one with the most stickers will earn a special prize.”

 

“Teacher Krystal, what’s the prize?” Hyoyeon says, a glint of mischief in her eyes. Krystal clucks her tongue and shakes her head, wagging her finger in front of the girl.

 

“You’re not going to find out until the end of the day,” Krystal teases, giggling when the girls protest.

 

“Alright girls, time to continue your drawings from yesterday!” Luna says, clasping her hands together to regain the group’s attention.

 

“Yoona, can I talk to you please?” Krystal says, nodding at Luna and Amber who usher the rest of the girls over to their tables to begin the first activity of the day: arts and crafts.

 

Yoona waddles up to her with a cheeky but guilty smile on her face, confirming Krystal’s suspicions.

 

Strict teacher mode, Krystal says to herself.

 

“What was this doing on my chair?” Krystal says, holding up the whoopie cushion so the girl can see. Yoona grins but when Krystal doesn’t smile back, her bottom lip juts out and she lowers her head.

 

“I’m sorry Teacher Krys–”

 

Their conversation is interrupted when a chorus of farting noises sound throughout the classroom as the rest of the girls sit down onto their chairs. They look at each other with befuddled expressions before turning their heads to Luna and Amber. Krystal notes how Amber looks directly at Yoona and glares at her, who lowers her head even further.

 

“Yoona!”

 

 

 

Seohyun diligently colours in the flowers on her paper, giggling when she takes a moment to admire her hard work. She reaches for her orange colour pencil when she stills, frowning when she can’t find the colour she needs to complete the drawing. Seohyun glances around the table and smiles, bouncing off her chair and walking over to Tiffany’s side of the table.

 

“Hi Unnie!” Seohyun says, her eyes wandering over Tiffany’s paper and bulging out when she notices how pink and out of the lines her colouring is.

 

“Seohyunnie! Did you need something?” Tiffany voices, an eye smile appearing on her face.

 

“Can I borrow your orange pencil please?”

 

“Okay, because sharing is caring and I hate orange. You can keep this. It’s not mine,” Tiffany chirps back, handing the offensive pencil to her friend.

 

“Eh? It’s not yours?”

 

“Nup! You can have it,” Tiffany beams.

 

“But –”

 

“Seohyunnie, I don’t want it,” Tiffany insists, pressing the pencil into her friend’s hand.

 

Seohyun sighs and thanks her. She walks back over to her desk, resuming her progress from before.

 

 

 

Krystal rounds the tables once, twice, and thrice when she notices Taeyeon sneakily reaching underneath her table. She watches closely as Taeyeon looks around quickly before placing a red gummy bear into .

 

“Taeyeon, snack time is later,” Krystal chides softly, giggling when Taeyeon blinks at her in surprise and gives her a sheepish grin.

 

“One more?” Taeyeon asks, her chin dimple popping out as she her head to the side.

 

Krystal can’t help but relent to allowing Taeyeon to have two extra gummy bears.

 

 

 

Amber frowns when she notices Hyoyeon and Yuri huddling together and working on the same piece of paper. She taps on both their shoulders, a confused smile appearing on her face when they both look up at her with equally bemused expressions.

 

“Girls, it’s one paper per person.”

 

“But we’re sharing a paper Teacher Amber!” Hyoyeon says, gesturing to their impressive drawing of…two stick figures.

 

Amber groans.

 

 

 

Sooyoung and Sunny work silently beside each other, their hands bumping into each other every now and then as they furiously colour in their drawings of a lopsided house and a leafless stick tree. Sunny decides to add in a bit of colour to her creation and reaches over for a red coloured pencil. She frowns when it’s not where it’s supposed to be on the table. She turns her head to the side, noting the tight grip Sooyoung has on the pencil.

 

“Sooyoung, can I use your red pencil?”

 

“I don’t know, can you?” Sooyoung sassily replies. Unfortunately for her, Luna overhears their conversation and taps the girl on her shoulder.

 

“What was that Sooyoung?”

 

“Nothing, Teacher Luna,” Sooyoung grumbles, passing her red pencil over to Sunny who sticks her tongue out and resumes her colouring.

 

 

 

After getting Yoona to remove all the whoopie cushions and other objects and pranks that she may have hid in the classroom (Krystal makes a note of one particular elaborate prank that she adds to her growing list of pranks to pull on her co-workers and friends), the girl sits to the side and surprisingly manages to behave herself for the rest of the hour. Seeing that she isn’t going to be disruptive or mischievous for the rest of the lesson, she turns her attention to her sister who blankly stares at the wall in front of her.

 

“Jess? You’re not doing anything,” Krystal says, crouching down beside her sister. Jessica just turns to her with a smile and holds up her sheet of paper.

 

“I already finished!” Jessica says proudly, showing off her piece of paper. Krystal rolls her eyes at her sister.

 

“This is blank.”

 

“That’s art!” Jessica says, nodding vigorously in amusement.

 

Krystal shakes her head and taps her fingers on the papers in front of Jessica.

 

“Did you even draw something last lesson?” Krystal asks, narrowing her eyes in suspicion when Jessica nods again. She watches as Jessica reaches under her desk and pulls out a stack of papers.

 

“I drew myself and Taengoo!” Jessica chirps, proudly showing off her drawing skills to her sister.

 

“Eh?” Taeyeon pipes up when she hears her name being called out. She waddles over and places her chin on Jessica’s shoulder, not realising how red Jessica immediately turns. Krystal keeps the observation to herself as she watches the way Taeyeon’s eyes gleam with happiness.

 

She’s so going to tease Jessica about it later.

 

“Oooh! That’s me and you!” Taeyeon points out, moving away and rocking back and forth on the balls of her feet. Jessica gives her a shy nod and Taeyeon grins toothily.

 

Krystal can’t help but gasp in astonishment when Taeyeon leans forward and places a kiss on Jessica’s cheek.

 

“Taeyeonnie loves it!” She says, giving another wet kiss on the other side of Jessica’s face before waddling back to her seat.

 

Krystal can’t help but burst into laughter and tears when Jessica’s hands reach up to cover her rosy cheeks.

 

Taeyeon has absolutely no clue what effect she has on her little sister.

 

 

 

Krystal takes a sip from her water bottle and sighs. She runs a tired hand through her hair and watches as the girls enjoy their lunch time in the playground whilst Amber and Luna supervise them. She does a quick head count and frowns when there’s one less head that should be with them.

 

“Where’s Taeyeon?” Krystal asks, only to frown when Luna tells her she doesn’t know where the girl has run off to.

 

Krystal heads outside the classroom and searches around, the worry inside her bubbling as she cannot find the girl. She swings by the office, sighing in relief when Wendy points her towards the other side of the building in the direction of the other child-care classroom. She runs off, stopping just outside the classroom to regain her breath and composure. She calmly raises a hand to knock on the door. Krystal smiles when Victoria answers the door and they exchange a conversation before Victoria points her towards the music area of the classroom.

 

Krystal makes her way over and stands watching with adoration at Taeyeon and a friend happily playing the drums.

 

“Taeyeon? What are you doing here? Our classroom is all the way back there,” Krystal says, crouching down in front of Taeyeon.

 

“Taeyeonnie has friends here!” Taeyeon says chirpily, wrapping her arms protectively around a girl a little taller than her.

 

“Taeyeon, it’s their class time,” Krystal says gently, smiling softly when Taeyeon shoots her an adorable pout but squeezes her friend again.

 

“Bye bye Taeyeonnie!” The girl says, waving at her friend.

 

“Bye bye Yubie-unnie!” Taeyeon says, waving enthusiastically as she’s led out of the classroom.

 

“When did you sneak off anyways, you rascal! And was that a new friend of yours?” Krystal chastises softly, ruffling Taeyeon’s hair. She giggles when Taeyeon squeals and reaches upwards to cover her head.

 

“Unnie!”

 

“Now now, you don’t sneak off like that especially if you haven’t told anyone. Okay?”

 

Taeyeon nods her head and reaches upwards to grasp onto Krystal’s hand again.

 

They only just walk a couple of steps away when Taeyeon stops in her tracks.

 

“Soojung-unnie,” Taeyeon says, tugging on Krystal’s coat. Krystal bends down to pick the girl up, smiling when Taeyeon her head to the side.

 

“Yes Taeyeonnie, what’s wrong?”

 

Krystal giggles when Taeyeon holds up a crumpled packet of Pepero in her tiny fists and waves the bag in the air.

 

“Taeyeonnie wanted to share Pepero with friends!” Taeyeon says, her eyebrows furrowing together in confusion.

 

“But?”

 

“But Sica wouldn’t let Taeyeonnie share!” Taeyeon cries, another pout immediately forming on her face. Krystal tries her best not to guffaw at how adorable Taeyeon is acting and only just manages to bite down on her lips to prevent a broad grin appearing on her face.

 

“Did Jessi tell you why she didn’t want you to share with your friends?” Krystal asks, even though she knows the answer. It’s not hard to read Jessica, especially when she happens to be your little sister who has the biggest crush on the dorkiest child in the classroom and only speaks about her twelve hours a day (the other twelve hours are reserved for sleeping, eating and being a spoilt princess, but Krystal would never dare to call her sister that. Ever.).

 

“Sica said it was supposed to be something only she and I can have,” Taeyeon says, although it sounds as though she doesn’t quite understand what Jessica means.

 

“Only something Jessi and you can have?” Krystal says, smiling widely when Taeyeon nods her head vigorously.

 

“So...even I can’t have it with you?” Krystal teases, letting out a giggle when Taeyeon whines softly but nods sadly.

 

“It’s okay Taeyeonnie, you might need to keep it between you and Jessi then.”

 

Krystal places Taeyeon onto the ground, only to kneel down in front of her when Taeyeon tugs on her hands. She watches as Taeyeon looks around her to see if anyone else is watching, blinking in surprise when Taeyeon takes out a Pepero stick and holds it out in front of her.

 

“Are you sure Taeyeonnie?”

 

“Mhm!” Taeyeon says, jutting her bottom lip out further as she insists. Krystal takes the snack from her and beams widely. She pinches Taeyeon’s cheek, a hearty laugh escaping her lips when Taeyeon leans forward and presses a wet kiss on her cheek.

 

“It’ll be our little secret!” Taeyeon says happily, planting another kiss on Krystal’s cheek before running off into the classroom.

 

 

 

When it comes down to who has the most stickers and therefore understands the concept of ‘sharing is caring’, it’s no surprise that Seohyun wins by a mile. Luna hands her a packet of textas. All three teachers blink in astonishment when Seohyun stares at the textas in her hand and walks over to the front of the classroom where she places the packet beside the arts and crafts section.

 

“For everyone!” Seohyun chirps.

 

 

 

“So what did we learn today?” Krystal says as she watches her students grab their bags and hoist them over their backs.

 

“That Sooyoungie is a big meanie!” Sunny says, sticking her tongue out again before dashing out of the classroom.

 

“That Sunkyu is the bigger meanie!” Sooyoung retaliates, running after the girl.

 

“My name is not Sunkyu!” Sunny shrieks, her voice loud enough through the corridor that Seohyun cringes from the volume.

 

“I learned that sharing is caring because we must be kind to one another,” Seohyun says, much to Krystal’s approval. She pats Seohyun on the head and lets her go.

 

“Oh no!” Hyoyeon says, her water bottle in her hand and a growing wet patch appearing at the front of her shirt. Seohyun turns around and smiles softly.

 

“Here,” Seohyun says, slipping her bag off her back and taking off her jacket. She hands it over to Hyoyeon, who blushes and quietly accepts the item of clothing to wrap around herself.

 

“Thank you Seohyunnie.”

 

“You’re welcome Unnie!” Seohyun utters, giving her another smile. They both walk away down the corridor and that’s when Krystal realises Hyoyeon never answered her question.

 

Clever girl, she thinks as she watches Yuri fumble with her hands.

 

“I didn’t pee my pants!” Yuri says, a small smile appearing on her face. Krystal can’t help the chuckle that escapes her lips as she pinches the girl’s cheek.

 

“You never do Yuri. I believe you,” Krystal says encouragingly, giggling when Yuri leans forward and hugs her.

 

Krystal turns her attention to the next person in line, Tiffany, who beams widely at her.

 

“Sharing is caring!” Tiffany says, taking a step closer to the door. Krystal throws her hands out and blocks the door.

 

“And what did you share today?”

 

“Oh! Seohyunnie needed to borrow an orange pencil so I gave it away!” Tiffany says, ducking underneath Krystal’s arms and running off into the distance. Krystal sighs at the responses she’s gotten and turns to look at Yoona who surprisingly has a sombre expression on her face. She’s about to open to ask her what’s wrong when Yoona presses a piece of paper into her hands. She looks down and smiles, her fingers tracing the words ‘I’m sorry’ written in colourful crayon.

 

“What are you sorry for?”

 

“I’m sorry I played many pranks today,” Yoona says. Krystal, happy with Yoona’s confession, lets the girl go home.

 

Krystal stands up from her spot beside the door and blinks when Taeyeon and Jessica walk towards her hand in hand.

 

“Hi Unnie!” Jessica says, her eyes shining brightly as she looks up at her sister.

 

“Mind telling me what’s going on?” Krystal asks, pointing her finger between the two. Taeyeon giggles and wraps her arms around Jessica’s waist, still oblivious to the effect she has on Jessica. Krystal watches in amusement at how Taeyeon presses another kiss on Jessica’s cheek and Jessica’s rosy cheeks become crimson.

 

“Sooyeon let me have one of her drawings!” Taeyeon voices, fishing out a piece of paper and showing Krystal the sketch.

 

“I see,” Krystal replies, biting down on her lips to prevent a wide-spread grin appearing on her face. Her attempts to not grin are ruined when Taeyeon turns around and presses a box of Pepero into Jessica’s hands.

 

“This is for you! Because Pepero is only for Taeyeonnie and Sooyeon!”

 

Krystal can’t help but burst into a fit of giggles at how easily Taeyeon lies to Jessica, but Taeyeon bounces away before she can call her favourite student out on the lie.

 

“Unnie, I wanna go home,” Jessica says, tugging on Krystal’s hands. She smiles and lifts her sister up into her arms and slings both their backpacks over her shoulder. Krystal presses a gentle kiss to Jessica’s forehead, her smile widening when Jessica snuggles into her neck and her breathing evens out as she begins to nap.

 

Krystal doesn’t think anyone in the class, besides Seohyun, truly understands the meaning of sharing.

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: Hi there. It's been a while since I've posted anything so it feels strange to finally push out an update for any of my stories. This chapter is shorter than some of the previous chapters but I had so much fun writing this and I hope it made your day or night better. I haven't replied to comments in a while but I want you to know that I greatly appreciate everything you write for me.

Some of you may be familiar with my story 'Stay With Me'. I've had some queries as to when I'll be updating this.

Short answer: I don't know.

Long answer: Before my last update for SWM in 2018, I wanted time to sit down and go back and edit my story before commencing a new chapter. This, and with some other things going on in my life, ate away my confidence in my writing so that’s why I’ve posted very little updates overall until now. 

I don’t feel 100% ready to continue SWM but I’ve started to gain back some of that confidence by writing drabbles and working on PFLR. This doesn’t mean I’m giving up SWM – it’s one of my proudest works and I’m happy that many of you have continued to support me despite my absence.

I will find the confidence to continue SWM.

In the meantime, you can find me on twitter here. I post all my drabbles on twitter.

Thank you for taking the time to read my stories and for being patient with me.

Thank you and please stay safe.