Childish Things

Playtime For Little Rascals

It’s a lovely Saturday afternoon and Jessica squeals and protests as Krystal tries to convince her to get out of the car.

 

“I don’t wanna!” The princess says, crossing her arms and glaring hard at her sister. Krystal groans and rests her head against her hand which is placed on the hood of the car. She takes a deep breath before she struggles to get the frustrating child out of the vehicle, sighing in relief when she successfully manages to place her sister on her feet on the ground.

 

“Unnie!” Jessica pouts, attempting to scramble back inside the car, only to sulk further when her sister glares at her sternly and closes the door. She lowers her gaze to the ground and can feel the guilt seeping in; she doesn’t like disappointing her sister. A pat on the head makes her raise her head and she looks up at her sister and notices the soft smile on her lips.

 

“It’s not going to be bad Jess; your child-care friends are here,” Krystal tries to persuade her stubborn sister. Jessica just stares back at her unimpressed and bored.

 

A light bulb goes off in Krystal’s head and she crouches down to whisper in her sister’s ear.

 

“Taeyeonnie is coming to the party; I think she might already be inside playing with the other kids,” She utters, smirking in triumph when Jessica’s face shifts into surprise and then anger. She tries to stifle her giggle when her sister’s cheeks puff up in annoyance and the girl tugs on her hands.

 

“I wanna see Taengoo! Taengoo is mine!” Jessica squeals, pulling her sister forwards.

 

Krystal lets out a loud chuckle and holds her sister’s hand. After locking her car, she walks her sister to the front door and rings the doorbell, waiting patiently for someone to welcome them inside. She smiles softly when she sees Jessica bounce excitedly on her feet and impatiently rap on the door, as if hurrying someone to open the door and let her find her Taengoo.

 

Krystal lifts her head when the door opens and a smiling Luna beams at her.

 

“Hi Soojung!” She says, giving the woman a warm hug before crouching down and ruffling Jessica’s hair.

 

“Hi Jessica,” She greets brightly, only to giggle when the child murmurs a soft “hi unnie” before running past her to find a particular friend.

 

“Jess, take your shoes off!” Krystal calls out, not containing her laughter when her sister sulks and runs back to place her shoes neatly to the side before dashing off deeper into the house.

 

When Jessica totters into the living room, her eyes brighten when she notices a particular child that she recognises, only to flare her nostrils when she realises the other person accompanying that particular child.

 

“Taengoo!” she shrieks, hurrying over and snatching her friend from the figure lying underneath her. She ignores the look of surprise followed by annoyance on Yoona’s face as she sits up and crosses her arms in protest.

 

“Sica!” Taeyeon chirps cheerfully, giving her friend a quick hug before turning around and returning her hands to Yoona’s sides to tickle her. Jessica watches helplessly as the sound of laughter bounces on the walls and the furrow on her brow deepens when she comprehends that she no longer has the eldest girl’s attention.

 

“Taengoo!” Jessica cries, tugging back on Taeyeon’s arms to pull them off Yoona’s waist. She pushes the girl to stand behind her and sizes up the younger girl as Yoona’s face contorts into displeasure.

 

“Taeng was just playing with me,” Yoona states, looking past the older girl’s form and shooting Taeyeon a desperate look.

 

“ off, ,” Jessica replies. A gasp is heard and all three girls turn around to face the newcomer.

 

“Unnie! Unnie! Jessica-Unnie swore! Unnie!” Seohyun shrieks down the corridor, sighing in relief when Krystal enters the room.

 

“What’s going on girls?” The adult asks calmly, squatting down beside the three girls. Being the proudly stubborn girl that she is, Jessica has her nose high in the air and crosses her arms. Seeing that her sister is refusing to answer her question and Yoona looks too shocked and affronted by her sister’s words, she turns to face the girl in the middle of this mess who very surprisingly has a frown adorned on her cute face.

 

“Taeyeonnie?” Krystal beckons, speaking in that soft tone she uses to coax the girl to tell her what’s troubling her. It seems to do the trick because Taeyeon bursts into tears and clings onto her whilst she spits fire.

 

“Sooyeon said bad words! Very bad words! Like baaaaaaad words. Sooyeon made Yoongie upset! Yoongie and I were playing and Sooyeon came and swore at Yoongie and told her t-to –”

 

“Uh uh Taeyeonnie, no swearing,” Krystal scolds, tapping on the girl’s nose to warn her.

 

“Okay,” Taeyeon sniffles, hints of tears threatening to escape her eyes whilst her head bobs up and down in understanding.

 

“So I take it that Sooyeon swore at Yoongie which led to Seohyun yelling at the top of her lungs for me to come here?” Krystal asks, smiling softly when Taeyeon nods her head frantically. She lightly bops the girl’s nose again before planting a soft kiss on the child’s forehead. Unfortunately, someone watches with seething jealousy and moves to stand in between her sister and her Taengoo.

 

“No kissing Taengoo!” Jessica declares, holding her arms out protectively to shield her friend away from her sister.

 

Krystal sighs and reaches forward to lift her sister, wincing when the girl struggles in her arms.

 

“Put me down!” The princess shrieks, kicking her legs in the air and accidentally hitting her sister in the stomach. Krystal thanks herself for her fast reflexes and just manages to not drop her sister onto the floor. She carries the girl to the other side of the room and places her on the armchair, glaring at Jessica when she’s about to hop off the seat and waddle over to her Taengoo.

 

“You will sit here and think about what you did wrong and not play with Yoona or Taeyeon. What you said to Yoona was very rude and mean and for that, I will not let you play. Do you understand?” Krystal reprimands sternly, placing her hands on her waist to assert her authoritative position.

 

Jessica meekly nods and lowers her head in sadness.

 

Krystal turns around and walks back to the other three girls in the room, nodding and smiling gently at Seohyun before bending down and placing a hand on Yoona’s shoulder.

 

“I’m very sorry for what my sister said to you,” Krystal apologises on Jessica’s behalf, looking over her shoulder to glare at her sister again.

 

“It’s okay Teacher,” Yoona says, mustering a smile on her face. She receives a light pat on the head before the adult stands up.

 

“You’re a good kid Yoona and we’re not in child-care so you can call me Unnie,” Krystal says, playfully tapping Taeyeon’s head and ruffling her hair before walking out of the room.

 

“Unnie!” Taeyeon whines in protest, cutely rubbing her head with her hands with a pout on her face.

 

Krystal just giggles down the hallway at Taeyeon’s adorable reaction.

 

 

 

When Taeyeon totters towards the living room with Yoona and Seohyun in tow, she hears a loud shriek and looks down to see Tiffany, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon sitting on the floor playing with some dolls.

 

“Taetae!” Tiffany yells, falling open whilst the the colour drains from her face.

 

“Yes Fany?” Taeyeon replies, frowning in confusion.

 

“What are you wearing?” The girl exclaims, pointing an accusatory finger at Taeyeon’s clothes. The child looks down at her shirt then back up at her friend, clearly perplexed by the question.

 

“It’s a picture of three peas in a pod,” Taeyeon clarifies, smoothing out her shirt before looking down at it again. She frowns further when she can’t find anything wrong with her choice of clothing, and looks back up to see Tiffany cover her eyes with her hands.

 

“It’s ugly,” Tiffany says inconsiderately, and that’s when Taeyeon’s bottom lip juts out and she begins to blubber for the second time that day.

 

“Oh my, what’s going on here?” Luna says, rushing into the room and placing a giggling Yuri holding a bottle of juice onto the floor. She squats beside Taeyeon and her hair before looking over at the rest of the girls for an answer.

 

“We just entered the room and Fany –” Yoona begins to recount, only to stop when Taeyeon’s head shoots up and she begins to shake her head vigorously to signal to her to stop talking. Luna notices the action and tries not to giggle loudly at the lack of discretion Taeyeon’s putting into her actions. She pat’s the child’s shoulder before gesturing for Yoona to continue. Unfortunately, it seems that the girl is sticking by Taeyeon’s words because she clamps shut and shakes her head in refusal.

 

Sighing, Luna turns to Seohyun who is standing innocently behind Yoona.

 

“What happened Seohyun?”

 

Seohyun’s about to open when she notices Taeyeon shaking her head with a frown on her face. Sighing she shakes her head at the child-care teacher and refuses to speak.

 

Luna groans; clearly none of the girls aren’t going to tell her what’s going on. She shakes her head and sticks her head around the corner to call for a particular person and sighs in relief when Krystal walks into the room.

 

“Yes Luna, what’s – Taeyeonnie? What happened Taeyeonnie?” She panics, rushing forward and crouching down before the child. Her eyes begin to fill with increasing worry when the girl runs into her and throws her tiny arms around her neck.

 

“Taeyeonnie, what happened? I’m here for you sweety,” Krystal coos, running her fingers through the child’s hair. She tries to hide a smile when the child adorably sniffles and lightly pushes her away so that a small distance is created between them.

 

“Don’t wanna tell,” Taeyeon replies stubbornly, rubbing her eyes with the sleeve of her shirt.

 

“Taeyeonnie,” The adult says softly, petting the girl’s hair.

 

“Don’t wanna!”

 

“Taeyeonnie, I promise nothing bad will happen if you tell me.”

 

Krystal can’t contain her giggle when Taeyeon juts her bottom lip out and leans forward to whisper in her ear.

 

“Unnie has to promise me that it’s our little secret,” the child mumbles adorably, making Krystal bite down on her lips to stop a wide grin appearing on her face. She turns her head and whispers in the child’s ear.

 

“Okay Taeyeonnie; I promise it’s our little secret.”

 

“You have to swear on my peas!”

 

“I have to swear...on your peas?” Krystal asks, completely flabbergasted by the oath.

 

“Okay, maybe not on Taeyeonnie’s peas but on your life!” Taeyeon replies, her eyes twinkling. The loving act she puts up makes Krystal swear immediately on her life and Taeyeon nods in approval before leaning in close to her ears.

 

Krystal squeals when instead of hearing words being whispered into her ear, a warm breath hits her ear and she jumps out of surprise.

 

“You rascal!” She cries out, not being able to frown when Taeyeon falls onto her bottom and bursts into loud giggles whilst clapping her hand in delight. She opts to pinch the girl’s cheeks and smirks when the grin on the child’s face disappears and a pout forms instantly.

 

“Unnie!” Taeyeon whines, placing her chubby little hands on the woman’s to remove them from her face. Giggling, she removes her fingers from the girl’s face and wraps her arms around the child as Taeyeon throws her arms around her neck. She sighs and runs her hands through the girl’s hair as she patiently waits for the girl to respond but when Taeyeon doesn’t say anything and nuzzles her face into the woman’s neck, she chuckles to herself and lightly pushes her away to speak.

 

“Taeyeonnie, you still haven’t told me what the secret is,” Krystal reminds the child, tapping on her nose as an act of scolding. The girl just puffs up her cheeks before looking down at her shirt then back up at the woman.

 

“Yes dear?” Krystal says softly, coaxing the girl to continue.

 

“What does Unnie think about my shirt?” Taeyeon asks. Krystal blinks and looks at the image on the child’s shirt before her eyes move back upwards to look at the girl in her eyes.

 

“I think it’s adorable Taeyeonnie. Is something wrong with it?”

 

Taeyeon shakes her head and wraps her arms back around the woman’s neck, only to gasp and pull away when Sooyoung opens to speak.

 

“Mushroom said that Taeng’s shirt is ugly!”

 

“Shut up giant,” Hyoyeon helpfully comments before she and Sooyoung are engaged in a tug of war on a doll that makes Luna shrug her shoulders at Krystal and separate the pair.

 

Krystal frowns before looking at Tiffany who is now cowering from her gaze.

 

“Did you say that Tiffany?” She asks sternly, sighing when the girl nods and lowers her head in shame.

 

“That’s not a nice comment to say,” Krystal continues to scold, turning Taeyeon around so that she’s facing Tiffany. Befuddled by the gesture, Taeyeon turns back to her and adorably blinks in confusion.

 

“I want you to apologise to Taeyeon,” Krystal says, putting a hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder. When Tiffany raises her head and gives a quick apology, she nods in approval and smiles before ushering Taeyeon out of the room to speak with her privately. She takes Taeyeon to the kitchen and settles her down on a stool, beaming softly when the child kicks her feet up and down in the air. Ruffling her hair, she grins when Taeyeon looks up at her with puppy eyes.

 

“Did Taeyeonnie do something wrong?” She asks adorably, making Krystal squeal and lean down to peck the child’s forehead.

 

“No Taeyeonnie; you didn’t do anything wrong.”

 

“But Taeyeonnie didn’t get to tell you our little secret!” Taeyeon complains, puffing up her cheeks and crossing her arms in front of her chest in protest. Giggling, Krystal pats the girl’s head.

 

“It’s okay; I know what it is,” She replies, smiling softly when Taeyeon shakes her head.

 

“No you don’t!”

 

“I don’t? I’m pretty sure I do,” Krystal teases.

 

“Then tell me and I’ll c-co-co- I don’t know how to say the world,” Taeyeon says, jutting out her bottom lip when she can’t pronounce ‘confirm’.

 

“I tell you what I think the secret is and then you’ll confirm if I’m correct or not?” Krystal clarifies, the grin on her face becoming wider when Taeyeon nods vigorously.

 

“The secret is that you love me, right?”

 

“No! That’s not the secret!” Taeyeon says immediately, frowning in protest.

 

“So you don’t love me?” Krystal questions, giggling when Taeyeon’s jaw drops out of shock and she hurriedly tries to defend herself and refute the claim.

 

“I do! Taeyeonnie loves you!” Taeyeon exclaims, puffing up her cheeks and blowing the hair out of her face. Chuckling to herself, Krystal lifts up the girl in her arms and kisses her cheeks.

 

“You’re so cute Taeyeonnie,” Krystal remarks, her laughter reflecting the giggle erupting from Taeyeon’s lips as she plants a wet kiss on the woman’s cheek in return.

 

Unfortunately, a particular girl witnesses the scene and begins to wail and tug on Krystal’s leg.

 

“Stop kissing my Taengoo!”

 

 

 

Ten minutes later and after much protesting, Jessica crosses her arms and and puffs up her cheeks. Taeyeon pouts at the cold reaction and tugs on her arms but when her friend refuses to relent, she too puffs up her cheeks.

 

“Sica, Taengoo’s sorry,” Taeyeon says, pouting when Jessica doesn’t budge.

 

“Sica,” She whines, continuing to tug on her friend’s arm. It makes Jessica turn her head and bite down on the inside of her cheek to stop a smile spreading on her face. She finally relents and turns her head to face her friend, her arms still crossed in front of her chest.

 

“I don’t like it when Taengoo is with others; especially Soojung-Unnie” Jessica says.

 

“But but but they’re Taengoo’s friends. Soojung-Unnie is Taengoo’s big sister,” Taeyeon responds, frowning when Jessica pouts and gives her puppy eyes. She continues to frown in concentration and beams widely a few seconds later when a light bulb appears in her head.

 

“Taengoo is everyone’s,” Taeyeon says, brightening when she thinks she’s thought of an excellent proposal.

 

Jessica just huffs and turns away to sulk. Blinking in confusion, Taeyeon scratches her head as she tries to figure out what she’s done to upset her friend. When her mind comes up blank, she goes back to tugging on Jessica’s arm. When the princess doesn’t react and continues to sulk, Taeyeon frowns and pokes her whilst calling her name.

 

“I don’t want to play with you, Taeyeon!” Jessica says, only to regret her words when Taeyeon looks at her with teary eyes and wails for the third time that day.

 

“What’s going on – Taeyeonnie? You’re crying again?” Krystal says, rushing into the room and picking the girl up in her arms. When Jessica opens to protest, she glares down at her sister and silents her. After making sure that her sister won’t speak, she returns her attention to the girl in her arms and her hair to calm her down.

 

“Taeyeonnie?” Krystal coos, lightly nudging the girl so that she can look at her in the face. Taeyeon rubs her eyes and looks at her with protruding lips.

 

“I’m okay.”

 

“No you’re not; you’re crying Taeyeonnie. Did Jess make you upset?” Krystal asks softly, careful not to set the girl into tears again. Taeyeon shakes her head and holds her arms out to show that she wants to be placed down next to her friend. Krystal obliges and places Taeyeon next to Jessica and watches as the older child wraps her arms around her sister in a protective manner.

 

“Sica didn’t hurt me,” Taeyeon presses, tightening her hold around Jessica’s waist. Krystal tries not to guffaw when she notices her sister trying, and unsuccessfully, hide the smirk on her face. She almost bursts into laughter when Jessica looks at her and pokes her tongue out in triumph, but quickly regains her composure and ruffles Taeyeon’s hair.

 

“You tell me if Jess hurts you, okay Taeyeonnie?”

 

“But Unnie, you’re meant to protect me! I’m your sister!”

 

“More like you’re the devil and Taeyeonnie is the cutest angel ever,” Krystal refutes, pinching Taeyeon’s cheeks. Whilst Taeyeon grins in delight from ear to ear and nods happily, Jessica looks displeased and crosses her arms in front of her chest. Giggling to herself, Krystal hoists her sister up in the air and rains kisses all over her face.

 

“Silly girl, you’re my sister. Of course you’re my number one,” She reassures Jessica, who bursts into giggles and claps happily. Placing the girl down after she’s done, Krystal crouches in front of the two girls.

 

“So the both of you are on good terms?”

 

Jessica and Taeyeon nod, but what surprises Krystal is when Jessica turns and wraps her arms around her friend before whispering not so quietly in her ear.

 

“Sica is sorry,” She says, pecking Taeyeon’s cheek as a gesture of apology. Surprised by the action, Taeyeon stands still with a palm on her cheek where Jessica had kissed her.

 

The action makes Krystal burst into laughter and ruffle her hair. However, before she can open to comment on how adorable the kids are, she hears a knock on the door and a head poking itself inside the room.

 

“Girls? It’s time to eat; Sunny and Yuri have arrived,” Seohyun’s mother says, waving at Jessica and Taeyeon before closing the door and returning to the kitchen, but not before they can hear a shrill ‘Yuri!’ followed by a light crash onto the floor and Sunny’s voice screeching ‘Yu-wee peed her pants again! Wee Wee!’.

 

Holding Taeyeon’s and Jessica’s hands, Krystal escorts the children to the kitchen. However, when she feels a tug on her right hand, she stops and crouches down to look at Taeyeon.

 

“Yes Taeyeonnie?”

 

“Thank you Unnie for taking care of me,” Taeyeon says, leaning forward and planting a kiss on Krystal’s cheek before going over and pecking Jessica’s cheek. Out of embarrassment, she squeals and dashes off into the kitchen, followed by Jessica a few seconds later when she realises what her friend has just done.

 

Krystal just laughs and walks after the two kids with a large smile on her face.

 

 

 

 


A/N: Taeyeon is the cutest crybaby ever.

(This is also a reupload).