Childminding

Playtime For Little Rascals

Krystal closes the car door and giggles when Jessica dashes inside the child-care centre without waiting for her sister. Locking the car, she walks towards the doors and greets a couple of parents sending off their children before signing in for work. One of the reception workers, Wendy, informs her that she needs to perform a few errands and she groans; errands require walking around from one place to the other. She doesn’t have time for that, she’d rather look after kids.

 

As she steps inside the classroom, Krystal notices a small figure waddling forward and clinging onto Luna’s legs from behind. Realising that her friend is waiting for the child to show herself, Luna lightly ruffles the girl’s hair and the child lets out a loud whine before poking her head out of the side for a brief glimpse and quickly hiding herself again. Grinning widely at how playful the girl is being, Krystal crouches down and looks around Luna’s legs.

 

“Boo.”

 

She giggles as the child squeals happily in delight and begins to run around excitedly in circles. Smiling warmly, Krystal scoops the girl into her arms and smooches her all over with kisses.

 

“Hi Taeyeonnie,” She greets, giggling when Taeyeon leans her cheek in for more kisses.

 

“Hi Soojung-unnie,” She mumbles, protruding her lips and giving her the best puppy eyed look she can muster. It completely wins the woman over and she goes back to pecking the child all over her face.

 

Unfortunately, someone stands there seething in jealousy and Krystal yelps when she feels a force crash into her legs.

 

“Stop kissing my Taengoo!”

 

 

 

After placing Taeyeon down on the ground and watching her waddle off with her sister, Krystal returns to the front office to collect a few worksheets for the children. She accepts a few papers from Irene, another woman working at the desk, when Victoria decides it’s a good idea to sneak up behind the woman and scare the living daylights out of her by blowing in her ear.

 

“Yah!” Krystal squeals, accidentally throwing her papers in the air and swatting her hands at the teacher. Victoria throws her head back and cackles; the reaction is too funny that she ends up clutching her stomach out of pain from laughing. Krystal just glares at the woman and drills holes into the back of her head as she bends down to pick up the papers she had thrown into the air out of shock. When Krystal stands upright, she notices the glint of mischief in the older woman’s orbs and rolls her eyes before she notices Irene trying to stifle a giggle behind her computer monitor.

 

“What do you want?” Krystal asks, deciding to spare the receptionist from her wrath and instead focusing her attention on her playful friend.

 

“I just met Boa and she said that today is Luna’s evaluation day,” Victoria answers, chuckling when Krystal’s hands slip and she drops her papers again.

 

“Are you ing serious? yes,” Krystal says, fist-pumping the air. She’s quickly hushed by Irene and Victoria, who send her warning looks with wide eyes as they subtly nod their heads towards a woman walking down the corridor. Turning her head in that direction, Krystal gives them a sheepish grin when she realises that Boa may have heard her excitement.

 

“Oopsies.”

 

 

 

The first thing Krystal and Victoria notice as soon as they enter the classroom is eight children standing behind Luna’s legs as they refuse to stand in front of Boa - which isn’t surprising given her commanding appearance and her role as the child-care’s director and head teacher. Krystal frowns; whilst she was scanning the intimidated children's’ faces she realises that there’s one child missing from the group of girls standing behind Luna. She’s about to call out for that child’s name when she notices the girl is sitting cross-legged a couple of metres away from Boa with a look of amazement and befuddlement on her face.

 

Taeyeon blinks with wide open as she stares up at Boa and Krystal starts to wonder if something’s wrong. She’s about to ask the girl what she’s thinking when Taeyeon blurts out something very unexpected.

 

“How are you so pretty?”

 

Krystal isn’t the only one in shock; Victoria and Luna look at each other with surprise written all over their faces. What shocks them even more is when Boa crouches down and stares at Taeyeon with a pout on her face.

 

“Taeyeonnie, I thought I told you I’m not pretty,” The woman says modestly.

 

“But but you’re the pretty-unnie; you let me call you that last time as your nickname,” Taeyeon insists, jutting out her bottom lip the furthest that Krystal has ever seen her do. It’s the most incredibly sulky look she’s ever seen that she’s quite surprised the pout is directed towards Boa, someone who Taeyeon probably has never met before.

 

“What the f-,” Krystal begins to say, only to have covered by Victoria’s hand to stop her from swearing. Pulling her friend’s palm away from , Krystal crosses her arms in front of her chest and huffs.

 

“Yah Taeyeonnie, I thought you said I’m the pretty unnie.”

 

“But but this is the pretty-unnie I speak to every day and at the supermarket,” Taeyeon confesses, turning her head to look at Krystal with large, confused eyes.

 

“When on earth did you meet Boa-unnie at the supermarket?”

 

“I met pretty unnie last week! Pretty unnie gave me gummies and poppies and snakes and-.”

 

“I buy you all of those and more!” Krystal protests before she realises that she’s making it very obvious that she’s jealous of the girl’s friendly interactions with the director. Just to add salt to the wound, Victoria mutters the word ‘whipped’ under her breath and softly sniggers. She looks over at Luna and sighs when her friend shrugs at her, not sure how to approach the situation. When she meets eyes with Boa, she feels the embarrassment begin to seep in tenfold but continues to hold her gaze.

 

Unfortunately for her, because Taeyeon’s only three years old, she can’t understand complex emotions that well and cannot decipher the difference between displeasure and jealousy.

 

“But but pretty-unnie bought me choccy!” Taeyeon says innocently, her eyes returning to Boa with a twinkle in her orbs. She squeals cheerfully and claps her hands animatedly when Boa smiles softly at her and reaches out to ruffle her hair.

 

“I thought you just like gummy worms,” Krystal grumbles, unconsciously pouting at the look of admiration Taeyeon has for Boa and the close relationship the two share - heck, Taeyeon pouts at her when she ruffles her hair so why is she all smiles with Boa?

 

“Taeyeonnie loves gummies and poppies and snakes and choccy and chippies and -”

 

“Basically diabetes inducing food,” Victoria mumbles to herself, shaking her head at the silly child.

 

Boa pinches Taeyeon’s cheek, giggling when the girl adorably moves her head along with the motion.

 

“I have an announcement to make,” Boa declares to the class, letting go of Taeyeon’s cheek and standing up to look at every child in the eye. Unfortunately, her commanding presence makes the girls shrink back behind Luna’s legs and they clutch desperately onto each other out of fright.

 

“Today, Luna will be teaching you and I will be observing the class,” She reveals, trying not to laugh when the fear disappears from the group’s faces and is replaced by confusion.

 

“Teacher, does that mean Teacher Krystal and Teacher Victoria won’t be teaching us?” Seohyun asks, not noticing the weird stare she receives from Sunny who registers the number of times she’s used the word ‘teacher’ in a sentence.

 

“That’s correct Seohyun,” Luna confirms, jumping when Sooyoung lets out a loud whine.

 

“Awww, that’s not fun! That means less playtime!”

 

“What was that?” Boa asks sternly, making Sooyoung cower from her glare.

 

“I’m sorry Teacher,” She mumbles, shielding herself further behind Luna’s legs for protection.

 

“You are here to learn; not to play,” the head teacher scolds, continuing to stare in Sooyoung’s direction. She gives her a warning look before returning her attention to Luna.

 

“Good luck,” Boa says, nodding her head at the children before giving Taeyeon a gentle smile and sitting down at the teacher’s desk. Victoria nudges Krystal’s elbow as a cue to leave the classroom and she quickly waves at the girls whilst she exits the room.

 

Sighing, Luna gathers the group of girls and ushers them over to their desks whilst she hands out the worksheets that Krystal had received from Irene before the class had begun. Krystal takes this as her cue to leave so that the evaluation can commence and she grabs her bag from the teacher’s table.

 

“I’ll be back in a few hours,” Krystal announces, waving to the kids before ruffling her sister’s hair and warning her to behave herself. She just manages to take one step towards the door when she feels a tiny body cling onto her right leg. Turning around, she smiles when Taeyeon’s endearing puppy eyes look up at her.

 

“What’s wrong Taeyeonnie?” She asks softly, removing the child’s fingers from her leg and crouching down so that she’s eye level with the child. She squeals in surprise when Taeyeon climbs onto her lap and wraps her arms around her neck.

 

“No go,” Taeyeon mumbles adorably, burying her face into the teacher’s neck. Giggling, Krystal pats the girl’s back to comfort her.

 

“You’re not letting me go?” Krystal says, continuing to chuckle when Taeyeon nods furiously into her neck. She lightly pries the child away and tucks loose strands of hair behind her ear before lightly tugging her chubby cheeks.

 

“I have some errands to run Taeyeonnie.”

 

“No go!” Taeyeon whines, latching tightly onto the woman again. Sighing, Krystal picks the child up and carries her around the room to pacify her. It seems to do the trick because Taeyeon’s arms loosen themselves around Krystal’s neck and she sniffles, snuggling her head into the woman’s neck. Smiling softly at how adorably clingy the girl is being, Krystal holds the child out in front of her and bumps noses with her.

 

“If I come back and play with you, will you let me go?” She proposes, laughing softly when Taeyeon frowns and thinks very hard about the question, a look of bemusement beginning to appear on her face. She decides to be the nice person she is and adds in another offer.

 

“What if I come back, buy you candy and play with you? Will you let me go to do my errands?” She asks again, waiting patiently whilst Taeyeon mulls over the question. It takes the girl a few more seconds before her head bobs up and down and she agrees. Krystal smooches Taeyeon all over and places her down on the floor, ruffling her head and pinky promising her before waving goodbye and finally leaving the classroom.

 

Taeyeon continues to stare at the door until Luna calls her over to rejoin the rest of the girls for the lesson.

 

 

 

“Okay girls,” Luna says claps her hands together to finally get the attention of the class. She smiles softly when nine curious faces look up at her.

 

“Today, we are going to do some colouring,” She continues, trying to hold her laughter in when she sees Jessica’s eyes dramatically roll over before she places her head on her arms and stares at a blank spot in front of her. Shaking her head at the child, Luna returns her attention to the other girls and panics when she sees Sooyoung and Hyoyeon tug on either ends of a worksheet.

 

“Girls! What are you doing?” She exclaims, removing the paper from both their hands. Sooyoung somehow musters enough strength to pull the worksheet towards her and stares in shock when the paper tears right in front of her eyes. She looks up at Luna and the teacher counts till three seconds until the girl’s bottom lip juts out and Sooyoung begins wailing.

 

“My paper!” She cries, whimpering as she looks down at the ripped sheet of paper on the desk.

 

“That’s mine, you giant!” Hyoyeon retorts, glaring hard at the girl.

 

“It’s mine!”

 

“No, it’s mine!”

 

“It’s -”

 

“Girls,” Luna voices sternly, effectively making the girls stop their blaming. Hyoyeon and Sooyoung turn to look at her with sullen expressions but she doesn’t relent; instead she points to one of the secluded corners of the room.

 

“Sooyoung, I want you to go that corner.”

 

“But Teacher!” Sooyoung protests, lowering her head when Luna gives her a warning look. She mumbles a soft apology to Hyoyeon and Luna before trudging over to the corner Luna is pointing towards. Sooyoung turns her head and gives Luna a pleading look but when the teacher patiently waits for her to sit down, she lowers her head sadly and sits down quietly. Luna waits until she’s sure the child won’t protest or cause another ruckus before returning her attention to the rest of the group.

 

“You may start colouring now,” Luna utters, distributing boxes of crayons around the table. She watches as Seohyun studies her worksheet for a few seconds before carefully taking a green coloured crayon out of the box. The child looks over her sheet of paper once again before carefully colouring inside the lines, something that none of the other girls have learnt to do.

 

Luna turns around when she hears crayons falling onto the floor and she raises her eyebrows when Yoona’s sheepish smile pops up over her worksheet.

 

“Oopsies,” The girl says, hopping off her chair to pick up the equipment.

 

Shaking her head with a soft smile on her face, she turns and assists Yuri in choosing a crayon to use when Sunny looks over with a frown adorned on her face.

 

“Teacher?”

 

“Yes Sunny?” Luna replies, looking up to give the girl her fullest attention. Sunny raises her worksheet in front of her and points to a drawing scrawled in the corner of her paper.

 

“Fany drew poopy on my sheet,” Sunny reveals, not sure what to do with her paper. Luna gasps; she’s shocked that children know how to draw feces at this point in their age and quickly takes the paper from Sunny. She hurriedly scrunches the worksheet into a paper ball and shoves it into her pocket before reaching over and handing Sunny a new colouring sheet. The girl smiles softly and thanks the teacher before beginning to colour her sheet. Sighing, Luna turns to face the culprit who quickly lowers her head out of shame.

 

“Tiffany, we can’t draw things like this in class. It’s rude and isn’t nice to look at. Do you understand?” Luna scolds.

 

“I’m sorry Teacher,” Tiffany mumbles, looking up at Luna with apologetic eyes.

 

“That’s okay; just don’t do it next time.”

 

“I understand,” Tiffany answers before bowing her head in apology again and returning back to her work. Luna observes her for a few more seconds before she returns her attention to the rest of the class and finally notices a particular child not sitting at her desk and completing the assigned task. She begins to panic when she can’t locate the girl but when Boa calls her name and points towards the door, she immediately feels relieved when she sees the child sitting in front of the classroom door.

 

“Taeyeon? Why aren’t you colouring in your sheet? I thought you like art?” Luna asks, squatting down beside the girl. Taeyeon swivels around on her bottom on the floor to look at the teacher with large puppy eyes.

 

“Taeyeonnie wait for Soojung-unnie!” She exclaims, jutting her lip out for emphasis. Luna tries not to melt at the girl’s adorableness and ruffles the girl’s hair.

 

“You can draw and colour whilst you wait for Krystal,” She tries to persuade the child, the corners of her lips turning upwards as Taeyeon furrows her brow as she processes the request. She’s taken aback when Taeyeon shakes her head furiously.

 

“Taeyeonnie wait here!” The girl insists, crossing her arms in front of her chest and refusing to budge from her spot. Luna’s never had to deal with a stubborn child before so she’s very taken aback by the girl’s persistent act. She looks over in Boa’s direction but when she remembers that she’s under evaluation, she quickly averts her gaze back to Taeyeon. Unfortunately, she isn’t quick enough to escape Boa’s perceptive eyes and she jumps when Boa’s voice pipes up.

 

“What’s wrong Luna?”

 

“N-Nothing’s wrong!” She squeaks, internally cursing herself for giving herself away. She tries not to show how frightened she is when Boa walks over to the pair and squats down on the other side of Taeyeon.

 

“You can go look after the other kids. I’ll stay here with Taeyeonnie,” Boa whispers to Luna, getting Taeyeon’s attention by extracting a lollipop from her pocket and dangling it in front of Taeyeon. Luna watches as Taeyeon turns to the side and her expression changes by 180 degrees as she goes from sulky to happy in a span of a few seconds.

 

“Pretty-unnie!” She squeals excitedly, happily accepting the candy and ripping the plastic away before on her lollipop. The beam on Taeyeon’s face makes Luna smile softly; Boa definitely is a soft hearted person on the inside contrary to what others say. Relieved that Taeyeon’s preoccupied, Luna utters a ‘thank you’ to Boa and bows respectfully.

 

“No need to thank me; Taeyeonnie is just a little clingy these days,” Boa speaks, ruffling the child’s hair. She giggles when it elicits a bubbly laugh from Taeyeon and the girl begins to bounce happily on her bottom.

 

“You’re still under evaluation Luna so you should get back to the children,” Boa adds, nodding her head towards the group. Luna looks over at the girls and groans when she hears Tiffany ask loudly ‘is that pee?’ and the gasps of disgust and horror from Yoona, Seohyun, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon as they stare at the growing wet patch on Yuri’s clothes.

 

“Teacher! I think Yu-wee peed again!” Sunny screeches, waking Jessica up from a nap who grumbles and looks over tonfind the source of the commotion. Her eyes widen once she realises the wet stain on Yuri’s shirt and she too starts to squeal in terror.

 

“No! I spilt my juice!” Yuri tries to clarify before she bursts into tears because no one will believe her.

 

“Not again,” Luna mumbles, standing up to attend to the troublesome kids and pacify them.

 

Boa just stares at them and chuckles silently to herself as she returns her attention to Taeyeon.

 

 

 

When it’s finally time for lunch, Luna slumps into her seat as she studies the children begin their meal. Boa had sent a newsletter to the parents informing them of the benefits of making homemade lunches and had requested that each child bring with them a lunchbox filled with nutritious food; the minimum being a sandwich, some fruit and a bottle of water. Whilst some chose to adopt a strictly healthy diet (Seohyun and her sweet potatoes), others chose to adopt a not so healthy diet (Taeyeon and her sweets). In fact, Luna looks over at Taeyeon and gasps when the child opens the lid to her lunchbox.

 

“Taeyeon!” She exclaims, inspecting the contents of Taeyeon’s lunchbox. She’s shocked to find a chicken wrap with lettuce and an apple cut into slices inside the container - Taeyeon has never had fruit at child-care nor eaten any green vegetables, ever.

 

“What happened to your sweets?” Luna asks, astonished by the sudden change in the meal. Taeyeon just blinks at her.

 

“Taeyeonnie no understand,” The child says, holding her little arms out to hold her lunchbox. Luna returns the container and watches as the girl peels away the aluminium foil holding the chicken wrap and proceeds to eat her lunch.

 

“You’re not having donuts or a bacon roll or pizza?” Luna clarifies, completely baffled by Taeyeon’s new and healthy lunch.

 

“Mummy won’t let Taeyeonnie eat candy as much,” Taeyeon replies, her large brown eyes looking up at Luna.

 

“But you just had a lollipop before.”

 

“But but pretty-unnie gave poppy to Taeyeonnie,” Taeyeon responds, shooting Luna another one of her signature pouts.

 

“But -”

 

“I told her parents to make her healthier meals to eat since she’s a growing child. Taeyeon’s aunt has a bakery so she usually brings leftover bakery products into child-care and most of them are sugary snacks,” Boa voices, patting Taeyeon’s head and giggling when Taeyeon looks at her with full of chicken.

 

“Chew and swallow,” Boa says, smiling when Taeyeon nods and obediently does exactly what she’s told to do. She reaches over and wipes the corner of Taeyeon’s lips with a serviette, letting out a soft squeal when Taeyeon gives her a rare eye smile.

 

“You seem to know a lot about Taeyeon,” Luna remarks, noticing the way that Boa fondly looks at the girl beside her.

 

“I used to teach Taeyeon’s cousin when he attended child-care here so she’d come and pick him up sometimes with her parents when the boy’s parents were busy. When I received Taeyeon’s application for admittance and met with her parents, they requested that I keep an eye out for her since she tends to be a little more sensitive than most kids. That, and her staying back at child-care sometimes made me notice some of her habits and her likes and dislikes,” Boa replies, recalling the meeting she had with Taeyeon’s parents and how the girl wouldn’t talk to her until she held out a packet of gummy bears in her hand. That had set off the fireworks in Taeyeon’s brain as she immediately brightened up and began clinging onto Boa after child-care was over just so that she could receive some extra candy.

 

Luna’s about to ask her more about Taeyeon when she hears a dolphin scream. She turns her head just as Jessica squeals in fear when Sunny wields a cucumber stick in front of her.

 

“Get away from me!” She shrieks, running away from the girl who laughs devilishly before chasing her around the room.

 

“Kids,” Luna comments, shaking her head as she walks over to stop the commotion.

 

 

 

Luna almost sighs in relief when Boa informs her that the evaluation is over and that she handled the situations well. She bows and thanks the director again and again; Boa’s strict and isn’t afraid to give criticism if the situation calls for it. She almost lets out another sigh of happiness when Boa tells her that Victoria and Krystal will be replacing her for the afternoon session. Boa pats her on the shoulder and kindly asks her to put the children to sleep for their nap time before leaving the classroom to attend to a phone call at the reception.

 

Luna just manages to put eight of the nine children to sleep (Jessica drifts off almost immediately after laying her head down on her pillow) when Krystal pushes the door open and steps inside the room, only to gasp in surprise when she notices a particular child sitting right at her feet.

 

“Taeyeonnie!” She whispers, crouching down so that she’s eye level with the girl.

 

“What are you doing sitting here? Why aren’t you playing with the other kids - hold on, it’s nap time. Why aren’t you napping?”

 

“Taeyeonnie wait for Soojung-Unnie!” the child exclaims delightedly, looking up at the woman before unleashing the deadliest attack: an adorable pout with twinkling eyes, puffy cheeks and tiny arms outstretched in front of her that makes Krystal feels her resolve crumble. She can’t help but let out a little squeal as she gushes over how cute the girl is.

 

“Gosh you,” Krystal says, pulling Taeyeon into her arms and squishing her very tightly. Taeyeon contentedly reciprocates by snuggling her face into the woman’s neck and tightening her little arms around Krystal’s neck.

 

“Soojung!” Luna hisses, beckoning the woman over.

 

“What?”

 

“Taeyeon should be napping now,” Luna responds, setting up Taeyeon’s bed. Taeyeon seems to realise what’s happening because she furiously shakes her head and buries her face into Krystal’s shoulder.

 

“Don’t wanna.”

 

“Taeyeon,” Luna whispers, holding the girl’s blanket in front of her.

 

“Blankie!” Taeyeon squeals, reaching out to hold her blanket and rubbing the soft material against her cheek. Giggling softly, Krystal pecks her forehead and rocks her to sleep.

 

“Taeyeon doesn’t sleep easily if you tell her to; you need to make her comfortable so that she can nap,” Krystal advises, gently patting the girl’s back as Taeyeon rubs her dopey eyes and yawns before snuggling into Krystal’s neck and drifting off to sleep, her tiny hands bunched tightly into her blanket.

 

 

 

When it’s hometime, Luna decides to wave goodbye to the children for the day. She hands Yuri a plastic bag and when the girl looks up at her with a perplexed expression, she quietly whispers that she had washed and dried the girl’s soiled shirt. She lets out a squeal when Yuri’s eyes light up and the girl throws her arms around her and thanks her happily before running off to her waiting mother. Luna waves back at the child, who continues to turn around after a couple of steps just to wave back at her teacher. She then waves to Sunny, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon, who immediately race off to meet their parents standing to the side.

 

Tiffany totters forward and tugs on Luna’s hand, redirecting her attention to the child.

 

“Yes Tiffany?”

 

“Is Teacher mad at me?” She asks, uneasiness adorned on her face. Luna sighs and ruffles the girl’s hair.

 

“No Tiffany; I’m not. We make errors so we have to learn to fix them and I know you can fix yours,” She encourages, smiling softly when Tiffany thinks about her words and nods.

 

“Okay. Goodbye Teacher!” She replies, hugging Luna’s leg before dashing to her brother. Luna blinks in surprise before her gaze is redirected towards Victoria and a curious Seohyun emerging from the classroom.

 

“Why was Teacher Krystal and Teacher Victoria away for a few hours?” she asks innocently, her large eyes reflecting curiosity. Victoria bends down and smiles kindly.

 

“Today was Luna’s day to teach the class alone.”

 

“Oh,” Seohyun states, her head bobbing up and down in understanding. She gives Victoria a high five and waves at Luna before walking off to meet her parents.

 

Luna and Victoria giggle when Taeyeon waddles towards them with a bickering Yoona and Jessica in tow and Krystal at the back carrying Jessica’s backpack.

 

“Taengoo likes me more!”

 

“No, me!

 

“Not you, me!”

 

“Taeng is my best friend!”

 

“No, Taengoo’s my best friend!”

 

“Quit it girls,” Krystal says, groaning as she slings Jessica’s bag onto her back. She’s about to call for Taeyeon when she hears the girl squeal in delight and dash towards a figure that has just appeared behind Luna and Victoria.

 

Taeyeon runs up and clings onto Boa’s legs.

 

“Hello Taeyeonnie,” the woman coos, ruffling Taeyeon’s hair. The girl giggles happily and beams up at the director, eliciting another soft squeal from Boa.

 

“Gosh you little dork,” Boa comments, bending down and giving Taeyeon a hug before standing up again. Taeyeon doesn’t understand that it’s her cue to say goodbye to her friends because she continues to have her arms wrapped around Boa’s legs.

 

“Not letting go?” Boa asks, picking the girl up into her arms. It elicits a loud giggle from Taeyeon, who rubs her cheek with the head teacher.

 

Jessica notices this action and her nostrils flare up but because Taeyeon’s in the arms of the scary teacher, she just pouts and tugs on Krystal’s hands.

 

“Can we go home now?” The princess asks, sulking as she refuses to look in Taeyeon’s direction.

 

“Yes Jessi, we’re leaving now,” Krystal replies, bowing to Boa and waving goodbye to her colleagues. She pinches Taeyeon’s cheek and giggles at the way the girl pouts before holding her arms out in front of her. Krystal wraps her arms around the girl and pecks her forehead before returning her to Boa’s arms. She then bows to the head teacher and holds Jessica’s hand.

 

“Eh? Not with Taengoo?” Jessica asks, baffled because Taeyeon leaves with them sometimes. Krystal shakes her head.

 

“Taeyeonnie is getting picked up by her parents,” Krystal replies, giggling when Jessica grumbles and crosses her arms in front of her chest, letting out a tiny ‘hmph’ like the true princess she is. Krystal pushes her sister forward to farewell the teachers and Jessica bows before running out of the child-care centre without saying goodbye to her friend. Waving to her friends, Krystal hurries after the princess that is her sister.

 

Yoona, who has been standing there quietly, notices her father walk into the child-care centre and squeals, running into his legs. He hoists the girl up into his arms and hugs her, patting her back as she showers him with kisses. Gesturing towards Yoona’s teachers, he bows at them and waits for his daughter to do the same. Yoona obeys, bowing in their direction in his arms and waving goodbye to Taeyeon.

 

“Bye bye Taeng!” Yoona calls out, continuing to wave until the automatic door close behind her father’s back.

 

“Bye bye Yoongie!” Taeyeon answers, waving just as much until she can no longer see her friend. She turns around, immediately juts her bottom lip out and bounces lightly in the woman’s arms.

 

“Okay you dork, I’ll give you some candy before your parents arrive,” Boa says, understanding what the girl wants and placing the child down on the floor. She chuckles when Taeyeon squeals and starts to run around her in circles. Boa nods and waves to Luna and Victoria before holding Taeyeon’s hand and walking her to her office.

 

Luna and Victoria giggle at the way Taeyeon bounces down the hallway babbling enthusiastically about her "gummies and poppies and snakes and choccy and chippies”.

 

 

 

 


A/N: 5000 words oh my god this is the longest I've ever written. Let me know who your favourite child is in the comments; mine is Taeyeon because SHE'S JUST SO CUTE WITH HER POUTS AND HER PUPPY EYES AND HOW CLINGY SHE IS TO KRYSTAL AND BOA UGH.

I hope you're enjoying reading this kid fic just as much as I enjoy writing it :)