Chapter 1

La Douleur Exquise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

 

grief is a house
where the chairs
have forgotten how to hold us
the mirrors how to reflect us
the walls how to contain us

~ The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

 

 

DeokHwa’s POV

 

The second the glass plates fell to the ground, the sound of impact echoed throughout the mansion. Ignoring the sounds, I further snuggled into the pillow as I laid in fetal position on the couch. My ears didn’t pick up any words being exchanged, except for the occasional scoff here and there. I was already awake when the first dish was cracked, and so here I was lying on the couch with my eyes shut only wanting some silence to alleviate my pounding headache that accompanied my hangover. Fatigue as well accompanied my hangover as usual, confining me to my position on the sofa. Then suddenly the cracking of a dish sounded from behind me, jolting me up from my supine position.

 

“What in the world are you two doing? Stop throwing the dishes! Please!” I shouted, erupting after my long held patience at my two uncles. I refrained myself from throwing the pillow that was in hands at them, for I would be the only one at a disadvantage between the two supernatural males.

 

“He started it!” They blamed one another in unison, while I sighed and stood to my feet. My balance faltered due to the pounding migraine and before I could stop them, I ran straight to the bathroom and to the toilet.

 

“I told you to stop drinking so much, DeokHwa ah. It’s bad for your health. Here, drink this. One shot.” The bathroom door creaked open with my uncle coming in to hand me a bottle of herbal extract. Leaning against the sink, I gulped down the bitter liquid and meekly smiled at my uncle. He always made sure to take care of my health by reminding me to take vitamins or herbal medicine. Regardless of whatever I took, I knew that I now only had two options. Either live longer than my grandpa did or start a family of my own.

 

“Where’s Uncle Tenant? Did he just leave after making a mess of the dining room?” I asked as I began sweeping up the broken glass plate fragments from the floor with a broom since there was no one else willing to do so.

 

“He left for work.”

 

Even just two months ago, I would have been sleeping in and then picking up Eun Tak from school while running other errands for the Goblin. And now my life has drastically changed with the passing of my grandfather. Before I was inclined to serve Eun Tak and the Goblin for the sole purpose of getting my credit card back, but now it was only my grandfather’s will that was motivating me to work diligently.

 

“DeokHwa nim, these are the files you need to go over. Please have them done before your shift ends.” With that said, Secretary Kim left the after handing me piles of case files onto my desk. I originally worked in sales, however I was now alternating among the departments, in order to learn the proceedings of each department within the company. Even just a month ago, I was mopping the floor like a part time worker. I picked up the files into my arms and entered my cubicle on the marketing team floor to get started. Uncapping my pen, I got to work in order to finish on time. All of the contents written in the case files were about company advertising contracts that needed to be permitted with my signature beforehand. My brain felt as though it was fried by the time I got done with reading and signing only half of the files. I leaned back in my leather chair and stretched my cramped fingers when my phone ranged.

 

“What is it, Uncle?” I asked quietly, not wanting to disrupt the office workers in the cubicles near me.

 

“I need you to pick up Eun Tak for me. Actually, just pick her up and give her rides every time if I can’t do it myself. Also tell her to avoid any buses and taxies.” I was about to ask him the reason behind his urgent demand and the rather compelling tone, but decided not to ask any questions.

 

“Okay. I will. What time do I need to pick Eun Tak up from college?”

 

“I think her final lecture ends in ten minutes, DeokHwa ah.” As meeting the needs of the Goblin and his bride was my number one priority, I stacked up my completed files at the desk and then left for my car with the unfinished files in one hand. Eun Tak was waiting in front of her university while numerous other students were walking toward their cars or heading toward the bus stop.

 

“DeokHwa oppa?” She questioned in surprise the moment I parked my convertible in front of the sidewalk. I unbuckled my seat belt and went around the car to open the door for her.

 

“You don’t need to open the door for me. Secretary Kim isn’t even following behind you or anything.” The young girl told me with an amused grin on her face. I simple shrugged and closed the door after her. “Why didn’t Kim Shin pick me up?”

 

“He’s busy and Kim Shin shi?”  

 

“Well, calling him Goblin Ahjusshi doesn’t not very appropriate in public and after all I am getting married to him soon… ” However the young girl’s voice trailed on as though she had something she wanted to say.

 

“What is it? I’m sensing that you want to tell me something.” I said to her, driving down the street

 

“Ever since you moved into the house, it feels mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter