A Journey To Seek Happily Ever After

25 Days of Stories - A Christmas Gift List [OPEN]

Title: A Journey To Seek Happily Ever After

Authors: fusionspeaks and BanghimRiah Narnialunchbox

Status: Completed

Tags: Comedy, Fluff, Romance, Roadtrip

Link: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1147716/a-journey-to-seek-happily-ever-after-comedy-fluff-romance-ot7-bts-vhope-roadtripau


Personal Opinion


The story starts out simple, without any fuss, and continues in the same exact way through the chapters. The setting is typical: an office job, a finance themed backdrop, an angry boss and an inevitable targeted employee that wants to belong, but unfortunately doesn't. The opening scene reminded me of the Office movie in some sort of way, feeling the routine embedded in the workers' system, even though there isn't any mention of that sort of habit.

Among of all of the other faces in the crowd stands one of our main characters, Taehyung. If you were to imagine a picture, he could easily differentiate from the mass, even though you couldn't exactly give a valid reason for your choice. You don't find him unhappy, which strikes as odd at the beginning - he doesn't hate his job, even though it has close to none points in common with his preferences, he doesn't hate his coworkers either, even though they aren't exactly close or even friendly in a manner, he doesn't even hate his superior, even though he humiliates him frequently and use him as a metaphorical punching bag from time to time. He isn't unhappy, but he isn't happy either, which makes him question the concept : what is happiness, after all? The problem arises when he searches for an answer through his written column in a, well, Finance paper. The answer is simple for the Banking and Finance sector, even as Baekhyun hints towards it: happiness lies with money, happiness is money, happiness is stability and a monthly balance that hopefully is on the positive side. Happiness is money and time is money and Taehyung manages to waste, in almost everyone's opinion, precious time with childish questions and behavior.

The main character is indeed curious, but to some extent, his job and lack of friends puts his mind to rest, numbing worries on a higher, spiritual level with more mundane problems: is he going to get fired from his job? is he going to review someone else's paper until the end of time? is his distant cousin going to stay mad at him? It isn't until Taehyung meets a mysterious persona, Jin, on a bus ride, that makes his forbidden thoughts resurface: Am I happy? How do I know? What is happiness? What is happiness, for me? Where can I find it?

Taehyung goes on a quest, in search of the truth or at least, in search of some responses, even if they turn out to be half truths. His departure is a turning point, letting you compare the only relationship and friendship he has with Junmyeon; his friend supports him in his choice, but is also used to point out the differences between their mentality. Junmyeon isn't capable of understanding Taehyung's will to chase a word thrown into the air by a stranger at midnight, he doesn't perceive the need to clarify questions you may never get a definite answer for; he is kind and patient, sympathetic and easy going, to a point that Taehyung perceives him as a soul mate of sorts, but lacks courage or determination, or simply isn't interested enough in those matters to take an action.

The road trip to down South is similar to a road trip to maturity. Taehyung meets different people, with different beliefs, faces obstacles he hasn't faced in his entire city life and searches relentlessly for his answers. In my country, if this was a book, it would be similarly built to a tale. You have the hero, that isn't old enough or hadn't have enough experience and in order to attain the final prize (whether it's a kingdom, the hand of a princess, or happiness, in this case) he must surpass the challenges and obstacles thrown his way. And so does Taehyung, learning as he goes, disobeying advices and making his own choices pushed by his judgment or by the circumstances. Somehow, on his road to the South (that mysterious place that seems to hold every answer to every question) he meets people that all seem to have a word of advice, a piece of information or guidance towards his final objective. All of the people he meets confuse him, also: somehow, they all have their own truth, making the character confused if he should grab an already formed answer or build his own.

In the end, we don't know if he finally found what he was looking for or if he will still try to search for it every day of his life, alongside Hoseok, another man that hasn't had enough experience to decide for a conclusion. In the end, the two of them, as unexperienced and indecisive as they could be, settle for what they already have - that is, each other - and they look a little more forward for what the future holds.

I found the characters that appeared throughout the plot almost prophetic, as Taehyung himself thinks of some of them as bearers of something unnatural. They are sprinkled across his road with measure, not making them unusual through their words or behavior, but through their sudden disappearance, almost like angels mingling in the life of the mortals, molding their course through life when they couldn't watch from afar anymore than they had. Their advices are sincere and simple, easy to understand, but hard to assimilate in essence.

The writing technique is simple, funny in some places, while a bit more serious in others. It never strikes you as a hard to digest one at the first glance, nor as a romance one. The message is also simple, yet so beautiful. There isn't any unnecessary drama, there isn't any major plot twist or tensioned moment. There isn't something that keeps you to the edge of your seat, but instead, I think that it will keep you up for a couple of nights.

The side story does serve as a chapter of explaining the mechanics behind the journey, but even so, it makes you appreciate everything more, even if that curtain drops, revealing every secret the author kept all along and makes you wonder how was it possible to keep the narrative altogether without disclosing too much or too little information.

This story is indeed a hidden gem, if you have the time and patience to dissect beneath the simple and modest layer it chooses to wear. I recommend it with warmth! Congratulations to the author!