twenty-one

Goddess Mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

twenty-one

I just… stare at the tall building looming over me, feeling like the job I have right now is far too out of my league and more than I could ever handle. What was I thinking, believing I could stand up to an immortal being? Me, a mere girl with barely enough strength to lift more than maybe a full bucket of water.

“Oh gods, I don’t think I can do this,” I mutter to myself.

Rain continues to fall and pelt the ground and the umbrella over my head. But it isn’t loud enough to drown out the thoughts I have in my head as I continue to look up. My heart pounds loudly in my chest, beating out an erratic rhythm in my head. All the confidence I had built up has completely left my body, leaving me cold and shivering.

“I see you’ve got a case of cold feet,” someone says from beside me. I hadn’t noticed them coming to stand beside me with an umbrella of their own.

I turn slightly and recognise them – the Fates. “Oh, hello,” I greet, turning back to look up at the skyscraper. The glass windows reflect the storm clouds hanging over the city, an ominous sign if there ever was one, and I can’t help but watch as the rain streaks down the surface like tears.

“My child, you do not have to do what you do not want to do. Simply because some say you must help, does not mean you have to follow their orders. Have we not taught you from the very beginning that you can change your own fate? Although we may have woven your future and your fate, you can always embroider it to become your own destiny,” they say, looking at me with kind eyes. A warm hand comes to rest on my right shoulder, gaining my attention.

“Yeah, but I want to be of help. I don’t want innocent people dying or falling under Cronus’ rule. Especially since I was given the chance to meet him and see who he is for myself. I don’t want anything to happen to Earth, and I don’t want the gods themselves to be hurt either. I’m a pacifist – I don’t like wars. I realise that now as I stand here,” I reply. As I say these words, I realise how true they ring for me, that this is what I believed in. I want to help and keep the peace, but do we have to fight?

“See? You’re going in the right direction. And who says you have to fight? Just follow your heart, it knows the way.” At those words, I feel something warm encircling my wrist. For a second I thought that maybe the Fates had taken hold of my wrist but as I bring it up, I realise that I am still wearing that golden-red thread bracelet the Fates had given me the first time we had met. It glowed warmly, a small halo of light in this gloomy weather.

I look up from the bracelet and realise that the Fates had disappeared. Their mysterious words once again leave me feeling more than a little confused. “Fate and destiny; following my heart,” I murmur to myself, looking from the bracelet to the skyscraper. “Yeah, I guess my heart already knows. Up I go, huh.”

The little bit of warmth on my wrist reminds me of Kai, as if he stood here with me, cheering me on. I know he’s somewhere else at the moment, preparing themselves at a safe distance as a part of my plan. I just hope it really does go according to plan because, honestly, I will never be able to predict the actions of Cronus or any other human being for that matter. People are complicated.

I step inside the building and am immediately intimidated by the security guards standing just inside the entrance. I quickly close my umbrella, placing it into a plastic bag as I instinctively straighten out my back and walk directly towards the elevators, hoping no one notices how out of place I am, especially in my casual clothes compared to all the suited businessmen and women.

As soon as I press the up button for the elevator, someone stands beside me. I take a secret glance to see a tall businessman looking at his phone. He doesn’t seem to realise I am even there. I’m like an inconsequential object to him. Once the elevator arrives, I step inside and so does he. It feels pretty nerve-wracking standing in this small space with a stranger who probably works in this building.

Eventually, he gets off at his floor and I continue on upwards to the top most floor, with the occasional people hopping in and out of the elevator. No one seems to question my presence and seemingly leaves me alone for the most part. Some say hello or give me a nod of acknowledgement, but that’s about it for interactions. I breathe a sigh of relief every time I am left alone.

At the top most floor, I step off and find the entire place to be extremely quiet and still. This floor doesn’t seem to be used by anyone, in fact, it looks more like just a storage floor with nothing but a few cardboard boxes covered in dust. I’m willing to bet that most people forgot about this area. There are a few tables and chairs lyin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter